Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The writing is soap operish at times, uses slow motion in an annoying way, and is at the end of the day just dumb.

That's just the way Woo movies are though. Asian movies, to western tastes, are very soap-y. The slow-mo's just a Woo thing. Keep in mind this guy's one of the more celebrated action-flick guys absolutely ever. I get not liking the style, or even thinking it's a bad example of what Mission Impossible should be (hell, I basically agree), but it's not "dumb".

It's just...Mission Impossible through the lens of Hong Kong. The same way 3 was "J.J.'s Mission Impossible, using every J.J. cliche in the book", you expect that of it. And as an example of that, it's fine.

That's just the way Woo movies are though. Asian movies, to western tastes, are very soap-y. The slow-mo's just a Woo thing. Keep in mind this guy's one of the more celebrated action-flick guys absolutely ever. I get not liking the style, or even thinking it's a bad example of what Mission Impossible should be (hell, I basically agree), but it's not "dumb".

It's just...Mission Impossible through the lens of Hong Kong. The same way 3 was "J.J.'s Mission Impossible, using every J.J. cliche in the book", you expect that of it. And as an example of that, it's fine.

I love Asian cinema. I own a ton of Japanese Kaiju films, watched all of Kurosawa's films, etc. But, MI:2 itself just didn't work for me. Ignoring the obvious controversy around the movie now, watch Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2. That uses Asian Cinema in a Western film properly. MI:2 attempted to, but ultimately just made a bad, standard action film. I like some of Woo's other movies, but this one just didn't work.

nmq2tgefbre01.jpg
Mustache Impossible.

I liked Rogue Nation as well. But, Ghost Protocol I just thought was awesome. But yeah, MI:2 is painful. The writing is soap operish at times, uses slow motion in an annoying way, and is at the end of the day just dumb. I skipped MI:3 in the theaters because I hated 2 so much. I only caught it on blu ray years later when Ghost Protocol was coming out and I wanted to see that because I loved the trailers, then I watched 3. Kind of sorry I skipped it, LOL! But that just shows how much I hated 2.

Yeah, M:I 2 does feel like a cheesy soap opera with bat**** crazy action sequences thrown in. The best (worst) example I can think of is that car chase at the beginning with Cruise and Thandie where they are throwing lusty glances at each other while nearly driving one another off a cliff, and then it ends with that FAKE looking shot of her dangling over the edge. It was a poor imitation of a much better car chase scene in Goldeneye.

Yeah, M:I 2 does feel like a cheesy soap opera with bat**** crazy action sequences thrown in. The best (worst) example I can think of is that car chase at the beginning with Cruise and Thandie where they are throwing lusty glances at each other while nearly driving one another off a cliff, and then it ends with that FAKE looking shot of her dangling over the edge. It was a poor imitation of a much better car chase scene in Goldeneye.
They made the mistake of going full on James Bond with the second one, but they have improved exponentially since then.

I actually prefer both the car chase and M:I-2 as whole to Goldeneye. I think I probably came too late to the Goldeneye party as I only saw for the first time a few years ago, and to me it didn't age well at all. But I'm also not the biggest Bond fan and only enjoy 5 or 6 of those films.

Yeah, I'd never really connected those two, but that's totally on point. The car scenes in MI:2 and Goldeneye are so damn similar.

The M:I-2 chase was a homage to the car scene in 'To Catch a Thief'.

Huh. Never saw that film, though I know it's a classic.

Speaking of inspirations, I always thought that the scene in Ghost Protocol at the end that takes place in the parking garage was inspired by a Road Runner cartoon.

At least that is what it reminded me of.
Two characters going up and down at high speeds.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd never really connected those two, but that's totally on point. The car scenes in MI:2 and Goldeneye are so damn similar.

MI2's car scene is superior if for no other reason than it doesn't have Seinfeld music playing during the scene.

Kramer stumbles out in front of Bond's car...

Hey, Goldeneye rules. Shut up. :yay:

Is it still possible to see Ghost Protocol on cable?
Anybody see it recently?

FX is usually has it on at least one weekend a month. Haven't seen it recently, but wouldn't be surprised if they start playing it again with the new one coming soon.

So anyone have any theories as to who might that be? My friend thinks they might be bringing back Vanessa Redgrave's Max character from the first one but I can't quite tell if that's a man or a woman :O.

While that would be awesome, I think Vanessa Redgrave would have a much thinner arm.

So anyone have any theories as to who might that be? My friend thinks they might be bringing back Vanessa Redgrave's Max character from the first one but I can't quite tell if that's a man or a woman :O.
Well, It turns out that Tom has been trying to get Vanessa back into the films since Gnost Protocol.
So Max is a definite possibility.

Thats possible, too.
I hate trailer mysteries, they drive me CRAZY!

I would like to see Vanessa Redgrave's max again in the franchise if they are looking to bring back old characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"