Superman Returns More Confirmation About A Sequel (Brandon)

Pickle-El

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.eonline.com/news/article/index.jsp?uuid=912e17db-d142-47cc-af42-81603df5b0a7

Routh to Suit Up for Superman Sequel
by Natalie Finn
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:16:25 PM PST
RECOMMENDED (0)
COMMENTS (0)
TEXT SIZE + A | -A

Brandon Routh did a pretty bang-up job saving the world last time, so…he's getting at least one more chance to do it again.

The Superman Returns star told E! Online Thursday that he'll be teaming up again with director Bryan Singer for a sequel due out sometime in 2009.

"Well, they've publicized that Bryan had finished his deal, which was the lynchpin, I think, in the whole talk about a sequel, so everything looks to be heading that way," Routh said at the DVD and video game launch party for the film that turned the former soap opera actor into a brand name.

"I'm certainly excited to do another one. I don't think we'll start for awhile since we have a 2009 release, but I'm excited about the potential.”

In preparing for the role the first time around, Routh said that he wanted to make sure his 21st-century Superman was both a character of his own creation and an homage to the actors who have suited up before him.

"I certainly looked at Christopher Reeve's performance because he was my Superman, and I knew Superman from him and from watching him many, many times," the 27-year-old Iowa native said. "So definitely I took that energy and the spirit that he has from the character, because it was important that there be a familiar feeling for fans, for audiences to make that transition from watching him to watching this new person.

"I definitely was aware of that. But I just knew within myself what it was I wanted to do—how I wanted to move, how I wanted to fly, speak, all of those things."

Singer inked a deal with Warner Bros. late last month to produce and direct a sequel.

While Superman Returns, which hit wide release on June 28, currently ranks as the fifth-highest grossing film of 2006 (domestically), the studio—not to mention comic book fans—was expecting the Man of Steel's first big-screen appearance since 1987 to attract a bigger box office. The movie didn't cross the $200 million mark in U.S. theaters until the weekend of Oct. 20-22. It grossed about $391 million worldwide, per BoxOfficeMojo.com.

But everyone knows that films have a crazy way of making money even after they've left the multiplex. Superman Returns on DVD goes on sale Nov. 28 in both single-disc and two-disc special edition versions.

And speaking of franchise, now the modern-day Superman has a videogame to call his own, as well. Superman Returns: The Videogame, in stores Nov. 20, features pixilated versions of Routh, Kate Bosworth (Lois Lane), Kevin Spacey (Lex Luthor), Parker Posey (Kitty Kowalski) and Sam Huntington (Jimmy Olsen), all of whom lent their voices to the game.

The next few years are shaping up to be pretty busy for our favorite comic book/cartoon/TV show/film franchise heroes. Before Superman soars again, Spider Man 3 spins its web in May 2007, and 2008 promises to be the year of The Dark Knight, featuring Christian Bale once again as the Caped Crusader and Heath Ledger as the Joker.

But if it came down to a battle among the big three, you know who would win, right?

"They're all great guys and they do a lot of good things, but let's be honest with ourselves," Routh humbly surmised. "Superman is the world's greatest protector. So unless Batman's got some kryptonite in his utility belt, or Spider Man's got kryptonite in his webs, there's pretty much no stopping Superman.

"He wouldn't do too much damage though, because he's a nice guy," Routh assured us. "He'd probably just lock them up somewhere."

In reference to the "locking", just make sure Batman ditches his utility belt; no telling what he's got in that thing.:)lol

Batman would be out before Superman could lock the door :D

That Batman is a sneaky weasel. Great to hear Routh's viewpoints as it's obvious he has genuine respect and appreciation for the character. I'm excited for the sequel. My wife isn't as excited because of all the money I spent watching the first one, and for driving her completely ape***t for years beforehand. I'm still driving her nuts because I can't stop talking about the Ultimate Collection and the SR video game that I've both pre-ordered. Thank heavens for Amazon.

Good to hear some comments from Routh, he seems to know what he talking about in terms of the character and i think he can be this generations Superman for a long time. He nailed it in SR for me.

Pickle. We knew there would be and there is a sequel. We now know Brandon, and Singer will be teaming up again. In the imortal words of Edward R Murrow, " Goodnight, and Goodluck". Hope they make a winner this time.

Man more interviews, at this right, I'll bet we'll see a costume pic the end of next year. Then news just keeps coming in.

^I know, i'm very surprised at the amount of news were getting so early, i didnt even expect Singer to be signed until late next year!

Pickle-El said:
But if it came down to a battle among the big three, you know who would win, right?

"They're all great guys and they do a lot of good things, but let's be honest with ourselves," Routh humbly surmised. "Superman is the world's greatest protector. So unless Batman's got some kryptonite in his utility belt, or Spider Man's got kryptonite in his webs, there's pretty much no stopping Superman.

"He wouldn't do too much damage though, because he's a nice guy," Routh assured us. "He'd probably just lock them up somewhere."
lol :woot:
I'm interested to find out what projects Brandon will be doing between SR and SR2.Most of the cast/crew will be working on other movies or tv shows in the mean time but what will he be doing?

^I'd be surprised if he got no offers, he impressed me greatly in SR.

Well, I for one am looking forward to the sequel, even though it's still 3 years away. I'm hoping maybe Singer & Co. can switch up the villains a bit. Lex has always been the prominent bad guy, but I'd really love to see an appearance by someone else as the main villian...Metallo, a cameo by the "classic" Mr. Mxyzptlk, who knows?

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
^I'd be surprised if he got no offers, he impressed me greatly in SR.

he was a villain in the Batman. :D He wasn't that great, but he obviously had fun playing the bad guy.

It will most likely be Brainiac. He's a fan favorite. But who knows, it's too early to say who's gonna be in the sequel.

Nope , it will be Bizarro LOL ( Singer is fooling around for sure imo , and i wonder if Brandon is not doing the same ;) )

Brandon Routh and Bryan Singer Tease "Superman Returns" Sequel

Posted by RT-News on Friday, Nov. 17, 2006, 12:25 AM

Ftopel writes: "At the DVD launch party for "Superman Returns," Brandon Routh continued offering teases for the as yet unwritten sequel, The Man of Steel. This time, he speculated on who a new villain might be.

"There's a lot of talk about Braniac," said Routh. "Everyone wants to see Braniac. But I'll tell you what, in the video game 'Superman Returns,' you can play as Bizarro. Bizarro's pretty fun. I would lean towards one of those. Braniac, there's a lot of possibilities there. He's another mastermind villain so he can create any number of evil things."

Inside the party, Bryan Singer could be overheard suggesting the sequel will be two hours and seven minutes with lots of action. He also promised to give Tristan Lake Leabu, who plays the young superkid, a lot to do.

edit: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=380217

prolly so...:up:
I Am The Knight said:
It will most likely be Brainiac. He's a fan favorite. But who knows, it's too early to say who's gonna be in the sequel.

Brainiac and Bizzaro for the sequel would be amazing.

Brainiac is a mastermind that could tie into New Krypton and Superman's Kryptonian heritage.

Bizzaro is a mindless action villian with a compelling story.

I want to see more scenes between Brandon and Jason too, theres alot of unspoken issues there that need to be discussed.

SRDVD_002.jpg

Especially in relation to what Jason really is. The film showed that Kryptonite didnt affect him and Jason was pretty much human. He only exibited a fraction of Kryptonian power under extreme stress.

Mentok said:
Batman would be out before Superman could lock the door :D

Agreed. And Parker's Brain & Spider-strenght would help spidey escaped to.

I Am The Knight said:
I hope he's joking about that superkid bit.

same here.

Brandon talking about Brainiac or Bizarro for the sequel = good. Heck, how about having both villians in MOS

I think thats the idea. I'm just glad they are aware everyone wants Brainiac.

But obviously the film will need an action based villian like Bizzaro too.

Here's an idea. Bizzaro, and Mr. Mxyzptlk. That should be enough to keep Singer, and the writers busy.

Mxy? He's a bit 'out there' for Singer's realistic style. I'd rather the films avoid dealing with anything magic-related.

Magic stuff works better on Smallville.

They say pre-production begins middle or late next year. That would make the first costume pic, come around April or March 2008. Kinda like with the first pic of SR costume last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"