Movie Stuff You Only Now Just Realized - Part 7

When Pixar's 'Brave' first came out, it got some criticism from critics and audiences (myself included) that it didn't have a real big antagonist, which wasn't a great look for Pixar's first female lead. And while I stand by my feelings on that movie, I can see that it also started the new Pixar formula, which we see in a lot of recent entries like 'Inside Out' 'Onward' 'Soul' and now 'Turning Red' where the main characters, although dealing with high-concept or otherworldly things, aren't fighting bad guys at all. They're just kinda fighting...life.

When Pixar's 'Brave' first came out, it got some criticism from critics and audiences (myself included) that it didn't have a real big antagonist, which wasn't a great look for Pixar's first female lead. And while I stand by my feelings on that movie, I can see that it also started the new Pixar formula, which we see in a lot of recent entries like 'Inside Out' 'Onward' 'Soul' and now 'Turning Red' where the main characters, although dealing with high-concept or otherworldly things, aren't fighting bad guys at all. They're just kinda fighting...life.
Which for many is the biggest struggle of all... they use issues like metaphors...

Good observation, I never really thought bout it like that.

In 'Mulan' Eddie Murphy plays a dragon. In 'Shrek' he plays a donkey who falls in love with a dragon.

I knew Jessica Henwick and Benedict Wong were in Spirit Warriors but I didn't realize Little Simz (Venom Let The Be Carnage) played Vicky.

The Batman is the first movie where all four classic villains from the Adam West show appear: Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman and Joker.

I realized that the editor Duwayne Dunham who collaborated with David Lynch on Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks directed Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey. Kinda cool but also a bit odd.

Remember the magic words from The Day the Earth Stood Still?
200.gif

The same words that Ash Williams has to utter in order to free the book and get back to his own time?
7sLLSk.gif

Who directed Army of Darkness? Sam Raimi
Who directed The Day the Earth Stood Still remake? Scott Derrickson

MV5BMjA0OTk2MzI1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkxOTUwMg@@._V1_.jpg

Who directed the first Doctor Strange? Scott Derrickson again.
Who directed the new Doctor Strange?

samraimi18.gif

Michelle Burke who played Connie in the Coneheads movie 2 best friends in the movie were played by Parker Posey and Joey Lauren Adams who all 3 were in Dazed and Confused.

It's wild that Billy Dee Williams and Tommy Lee Jones have such similar names.

Re watching The Hidden: Danny Trejo has a small scene in it.

Remember the magic words from The Day the Earth Stood Still?
200.gif

The same words that Ash Williams has to utter in order to free the book and get back to his own time?
7sLLSk.gif

Who directed Army of Darkness? Sam Raimi
Who directed The Day the Earth Stood Still remake? Scott Derrickson

MV5BMjA0OTk2MzI1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkxOTUwMg@@._V1_.jpg

Who directed the first Doctor Strange? Scott Derrickson again.
Who directed the new Doctor Strange?

samraimi18.gif

The other fun Klaatu, Barada, Nikto reference, probably known by every scifi kid since the 80's, before referenced in Army of Darkness, although not in the film, behind the scenes and then on the figure cards the original ROTJ skiff guards were known as... :cwink:

6isc2h.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff Bridges based a lot of his body movement mostly head and neck from birds when he played the alien in Starman

That Owen Wilson & Tom Hiddleston already worked together in , Midnight in Paris(2011)

I knew this for a long time, but just was recently reminded of it; X2 reunited Famke Janssen with two of her former co-stars.

She was on an episode of Star Trek TNG with Patrick Stewart, and in GoldenEye with Alan Cumming.

Glen Powell and Ed Harris both appear in TOP GUN MAVERICK. Harris played John Glenn in THE RIGHT STUFF, Powell played him in HIDDEN FIGURES.

^that reminds me of when Emma Stone and Bryce Howard were both in The Help they both played Gwen Stacy, and Liv Tyler and Jennifer Connelly in Inventing the Abbots they both played Betty Ross.

Glen Powell and Ed Harris both appear in TOP GUN MAVERICK. Harris played John Glenn in THE RIGHT STUFF, Powell played him in HIDDEN FIGURES.
Speaking of Glen Powell, I just realized he was in The Dark Knight Rises as the Wall Street trader who Bane roughs up.

The-Dark-Knight-Rises-Glen-Powell-as-Trader.jpg

This is a weird question, please bear with me.
When a superhero costume "forms itself" like Wanda's... where does it come from? Who designs it? Does she have to take it off like a normal person? How does that work?
Same with Thor... it all looks cool but... who makes his armor? how does it transform?
I know I shouldn't think these thinks too much, but it bothers me. WHO IS THE DESIGNER OF THAT SUIT, DAMN IT?!

The list of actors who have gone from Marvel to DC (and vice versa) is quite extensive

From one Marvel property to another
Rebecca Romijin…Mystique (X-Men) to Joan (The Punisher)

Jon Favreau…Foggy Nelson (Daredevil) to Happy Hogan (Iron Man)

Chris Evans…Johnny Storm (Fantastic Four) to Steve Rogers (Captain America)

Ray Wise…Secretary of State (X-Men First Class) to Hugh Jones (Agent Carter)

Ben Foster…Dave (The Punisher) to Warren Worthington (X-Men)

From DC to Marvel
Michael Keaton…Batman (Batman) to Vulture (Spider-Man Homecoming)

Tommy Lee Jones…Two-Face (Batman Forever) to Col. Phillips (Captain America)

Ryan Reynolds…Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) to Wade Wilson (Deadpool)

Angela Bassett...Amanda Waller (Green Lantern) to Ramonda (Black Panther)

Tom Hardy…Bane (Dark Knight Rises) to Eddie Brock (Venom)

Michelle Pfeiffer…Catwoman (Batman Returns) to Janet (Ant Man & Wasp)

Laurence Fishburne…Perry White (Man of Steel) to Dr. Foster (Ant Man & Wasp)

Clancy Brown…Lex Luthor (Superman) to Maj. Schoonover (Daredevil)

From Marvel to DC
JK Simmons…J Jonah Jameson (Spider-Man) to Commissioner Gordon (Justice League)

Willem Dafoe…Norman Osborn (Spider-Man) to Vulko (Aquaman)

Idris Elba…Heimdall (Thor) to Bloodsport (Suicide Squad)

Ben Affleck…Daredevil (Daredevil) to Batman (Batman v Superman)

Zachary Levi…Fandral (Thor) to Shazam (Shazam!)

James Marsden…Cyclops (X-Men) to Richard White (Superman Returns)

Michael Clarke Duncan…Wilson Fisk (Daredevil) to Killiwog (Green Lantern)

The list of actors who have gone from Marvel to DC (and vice versa) is quite extensive
Oh there's more. Lots more.

From one Marvel property to another
Rebecca Romijin…Mystique (X-Men) to Joan (The Punisher)

Jon Favreau…Foggy Nelson (Daredevil) to Happy Hogan (Iron Man)

Chris Evans…Johnny Storm (Fantastic Four) to Steve Rogers (Captain America)

Ray Wise…Secretary of State (X-Men First Class) to Hugh Jones (Agent Carter)

Ben Foster…Dave (The Punisher) to Warren Worthington (X-Men)
Gemma Chan was in both Captain Marvel (Minn-Erva) and Eternals (Sersi). Michelle Yeoh cameo'd in GoTG2 (Aleta) before showing up again in Shang-Chi (Ying-Nan).

From DC to Marvel
Michael Keaton…Batman (Batman) to Vulture (Spider-Man Homecoming)

Tommy Lee Jones…Two-Face (Batman Forever) to Col. Phillips (Captain America)

Ryan Reynolds…Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) to Wade Wilson (Deadpool)

Angela Bassett...Amanda Waller (Green Lantern) to Ramonda (Black Panther)

Tom Hardy…Bane (Dark Knight Rises) to Eddie Brock (Venom)

Michelle Pfeiffer…Catwoman (Batman Returns) to Janet (Ant Man & Wasp)

Laurence Fishburne…Perry White (Man of Steel) to Dr. Foster (Ant Man & Wasp)

Clancy Brown…Lex Luthor (Superman) to Maj. Schoonover (Daredevil)
Okay, about Clancy Brown...
First just in the movies, he lent his voice to two eldritch monsters: Green Lantern (Parralax), then Thor: Ragnarok (Surtur).
If you're going to count TV, that's a whole ocean of extra crossovers, but just looking at Brown; for animation, if you're counting Lex, you also gotta count Avengers: EMH (Odin) and Ultimate Spider-Man (General Ross & Taskmaster). And if you're counting live-action TV, then you also gotta count Flash (General Eiling).

Oh yeah, and then there's Jared Leto (Joker & Morbius.)

From Marvel to DC
JK Simmons…J Jonah Jameson (Spider-Man) to Commissioner Gordon (Justice League)

Willem Dafoe…Norman Osborn (Spider-Man) to Vulko (Aquaman)

Idris Elba…Heimdall (Thor) to Bloodsport (Suicide Squad)

Ben Affleck…Daredevil (Daredevil) to Batman (Batman v Superman)

Zachary Levi…Fandral (Thor) to Shazam (Shazam!)

James Marsden…Cyclops (X-Men) to Richard White (Superman Returns)

Michael Clarke Duncan…Wilson Fisk (Daredevil) to Killiwog (Green Lantern)

Taika Waitit pulled of the rare DC-Marvel-DC trip, appearing first in Green Lantern (Tom), then in the Thor movies (Korg), then cameo'd in Suicide Squad (Ratchatcher).
Randall Park showed up in Ant Man and the Wasp (Jimmy Woo) then in Aquaman (Dr. Shin).
Running opposite Michael Keaton is Dolph Lundgren, first with Punisher in '89, then in Aquaman (King Nereus) in '18.

^Yeah, same here.

Both Deadpool 2 and Venom 2 add female characters who, in the comics, were depicted with chalk white skin, black hair, and a thing over their left eye. Then for the movies, both characters were race-lifted to be played by black actresses.
To that we can add a third: in the upcoming Sandman series, Morpheus little sis Death will be played by Kirby Howell-Baptiste. (For her it's her right eye.)

Fun fact the (somewhat ironically prophetic) first song played on MTV - 1 August 1981 Video Killed the Radio Star.
Yet more significant to this thread - the keyboardist at 2:51 is none other than Hans Zimmer of - Lion King, Gladiator, Pirates franchise, Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk, Dune, etc.

Last edited:
McKenna Grace was in ID4 2 as one of the kids in the car Julius meets when they find his boat on the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"