The Dark Knight Rises New Batmobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there is a 'spare' Tumbler as Fox alluded to...
I've thought about this for a bit, and if there is a second one laying around, why didn't Bruce/Batman use it after The Tumbler was destroyed?

I've thought about this for a bit, and if there is a second one laying around, why didn't Bruce/Batman use it after The Tumbler was destroyed?

What was Bruce's reasoning for not wanting to drive the batpod in the middle of the day? I suspect it is the same reasoning for the Tumbler.

What was Bruce's reasoning for not wanting to drive the batpod in the middle of the day? I suspect it is the same reasoning for the Tumbler.
Wait, what? So he didn't use The Tumbler(if there is a second one laying around), because it wasn't subtle?:huh:

I'm kinda confused by your comment....

Wait, what? So he didn't use The Tumbler, because it wasn't subtle?:huh:

I'm kinda confused by your comment....

I don't know why he didn't use the alleged second Tumbler after the first was blown to pieces. Quite frankly, I don't care. Not everything needs a well thought out explanation. Not even in Nolan's world of 'realism'.

I don't know why he didn't use the alleged second Tumbler after the first was blown to pieces. Quite frankly, I don't care. Not everything needs a well thought out explanation. Not even in Nolan's world of 'realism'.
I'm not saying we need an explanation, my point, was that there might not be a second Tumbler, because if there was, I would imagine that Bruce would have snagged it up after the first one was destroyed. I guess I wasn't clear about that. My bad.....

If I was a superhero, you know what I would want in a car?

To be able to make sharp turns without using a grapple.

As Mythbusters showed in their "Superhero" episode, the grapple trick wouldn't really work anyway.

Easily explained. Perhaps it still needed some work before it was street-ready. It's not impossible to come up with a credible explanation for it.

Has never been, nor will it ever be, better than this:

batmobileb.jpg

A story told by Keaton in an interview - When building the Batmobile for the Burton movies, they forgot to take into account the Bat-suit's long ears, consequently ... When filming scenes with Keaton in full costume in the car, they had to remove the seat bottom so he could sit up straight in the car without having to hunch over.

Easily explained. Perhaps it still needed some work before it was street-ready. It's not impossible to come up with a credible explanation for it.
I just don't think there is one. In BB, it was alluded to the fact that there once was a second Tumbler, but it didn't work correctly. We didn't even see it next to the other Tumbler, which makes me think that they don't have the second one anymore.

But anyways, it doesn't matter if they have one or not. Reese gave them the blueprints back, so they are more than capable of making a new one. :cwink:

I just don't think there is one. In BB, it was alluded to the fact that there once was a second Tumbler, but it didn't work correctly. We didn't even see it next to the other Tumbler, which makes me think that they don't have the second one anymore.

But anyways, it doesn't matter if they have one or not. Reese gave them the blueprints back, so they are more than capable of making a new one. :cwink:

...or maybe it's in pieces. Either way, they have the blueprints.

Last edited:
The pod can't make sharp turns because of the humongous wheels, so the wheels (technically the saddle) can spin, bringing it to a dead stop. It's the same way he uses it to do the wall spin.

Christian Bale actually needs to go and fight crime in a Batsuit for TDKR, or my suspension of disbelief is ruined.

Can't we just appreciate cool things without turning everything into a competition?

Can't we just appreciate cool things without turning everything into a competition?
I do appreciate the fact that The Tumbler works in real life, and it's a pretty cool car (it should just look more like a Batmobile).

I just don't agree with the incredibly stupid philosophy being demonstrated in this topic. The idea that a prop in a movie absolutely has to be functional to be of any merit.

So yeah, people shouldn't turn it into a competition of which car works the best in real life. Because it's breathtakingly stupid.

One thing I don't understand is what the heck the batpod is doing here from 2:09-2:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPaTv98wUsE

THANK YOU!

I thought I was the only one who couldn't make out what was happening. Even on the blu ray it's too dark to make out what the wheel is doing.

I'm sorry for this strange request but can someone draw or depict what the wheel is doing?

I can explain it to you. If that will be of any assistance.

Basically, you see the really huge tyres on the bike? Well with such a small frame it's very hard (impossible) to make quick sharp turns on such a small bike frame. However, Nathan Crowley, the designer of the bike, came up with a way around that. The chassis/saddle of the bike can be pressed down to the road and rotated. So when the bike breaks, Goy uses the bike's ability to rotate and makes the front wheel rotate, bringing it to a sudden stop. The same technique is used when Goy drives up the wall, he drives up the wall, and the the chassis, rotates on the bottom wheel and falls safely to the floor.

JAK®;19757265 said:
I do appreciate the fact that The Tumbler works in real life, and it's a pretty cool car (it should just look more like a Batmobile).

Which one? There's like 70 years of Batmobiles.

Try to be a bit more specific.

I can explain it to you. If that will be of any assistance.

Basically, you see the really huge tyres on the bike? Well with such a small frame it's very hard (impossible) to make quick sharp turns on such a small bike frame. However, Nathan Crowley, the designer of the bike, came up with a way around that. The chassis/saddle of the bike can be pressed down to the road and rotated. So when the bike breaks, Goy uses the bike's ability to rotate and makes the front wheel rotate, bringing it to a sudden stop. The same technique is used when Goy drives up the wall, he drives up the wall, and the the chassis, rotates on the bottom wheel and falls safely to the floor.

It's so ****ing badass. I love that scene.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/digital/visual-effects/4273883

"In order to give Batman the ability to maneuver under low clearances, the Bat-Pod can physically lower and elongate itself. On set, the front forks extended and the chassis hugged the ground, positioning Goy parallel to the ground--and that's before pulling a 360. "The saddle is free to rotate," Crowley says. "It allows you to do all kinds of odd movement within the frame of the bike."
Regardless of how it was built, it doesn't necessarily mean they used it for the final shot in the film. Any number of things could happen, such as not getting it to perform exactly how you'd want it to. None of this is going to get settled until actual proof is provided, so here it is straight from Paul Franklin, the vfx supervisor at Double Negative:

“I think Chris [Nolan] had greater confidence this time,” Franklin says. “For example, they attempted to do the shot of the Batmobile turning into the Batpod as a physical effect with rigs. But Chris wasn’t getting the speed and energy he wanted, so we did a digital version.”

In shots with the Batpod racing straight ahead, the bike and rider are real; when Batman turns the bike, lays it down flat, or climbs a wall with it, both are digital, as is (sometimes) the road beneath the bike’s wheels.
Case closed; it was fake. Though as someone pointed out earlier, it shouldn't matter. It looked fine on-screen. While many like myself could tell it was CG, it wasn't so much of a detriment that you couldn't appreciate what went into the shots. No one should give a damn what it can do in real life, just that it looks convincing when you're watching the film.

People mistake Nolan's penchance for functionality as a dismissal of visual effects. Thankfully Nolan isn't stupid, he realizes it's a tool that can enhance. And I bet people will be very surprised just as to how much computers aided in many of the sequences in TDK. Here's some more articles if anyone's interested:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/dark_knight_imax_effects_and_that_bike/

http://www.awn.com/articles/production/ithe-dark-knighti-grounding-batman-part-1/page/1,1

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/dark_knight_imax_effects_and_that_bike/

Mazzucchelli, the guy who worked on BY1? Ok.

Well, he did say this...

While an interesting experiment, it's probably not a good idea to show horn too much "reality" into the fantasy realms of the superhero. Ever since Stan Lee introduced anxiety into superheroes - no, earlier, since Harvey Kurtzman first trained a satiric eye on them in Mad - the question, "What would superheroes be like in the real world?" has bedeviled succeeding generations of comics creators. Frank wrote The Dark Knight in fortissimo, operatic mode. But he recognized that my strengths as an artist were more attuned to the mundane. So with Year One, we sought to craft a credible Batman, grounded in a world we recognize. But, did we go too far? Once a depiction veers towards realism, each new detail releases a torrent of questions that exposes the absurdity at the heart of the genre. The more "realistic" superheroes become, the less believable they are. It's a delicate balance. But this much I know: superheroes are real when they're drawn in ink.

Bat Pod gets better gas mileage. hey-oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"