New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 2

Let's play a game shall we?

Imagine you are an employee of a major company, and word circulates that an even bigger company is soon going to own the company you work for. You know there will be layoffs & you become aware of the fact that high ranking people in this company that will soon be taking over are particularly unhappy with one of your projects. Would you make a point of how this new company isn't in charge quite yet, flippantly ignoring their displeasure and push your project forward unchanged no matter the fact that it will probably cost you your job and livelihood, or would you try to do something to alter your project to appease them, hopefully keeping your job and getting in the good graces of the next boss? Be realistic, what would you do in that scenario?
I would think realistically. 1st, the merger isn't a guarantee. It's the reason why they say "business as usual until then". There's still a lot to go in the coming months ahead. 2nd, should a project still be active when the merger is complete, it will be Disney's call on what to do with it then. Proper notice on it's status will be given at that point. It will not give you any more guarantee that your job is safe by acting as if altering your project in a certain way will appease incoming new managers, supervisors, bosses. Especially in this scenario. At the time that an acquisition is announced, there is typically a large amount of “synergies” between the two companies that will help offset the purchase cost. That means that the two companies will have a large number of people who will be doing the same job, and that half of those jobs will be redundant after the merger. Thus, layoffs. One person's advice:
"Everything you have done....Doesn't Matter. The fact that you are good at your current job is not a guarantee that your position is safe in the company going forward. Many corporations have a bad habit of boxing their employees into vary narrow roles. These employees become an expert in one thing, but have no opportunities to understand how the work they are doing will likely be irrelevant. After the merger dust settles: teams will be combined, managers will take on new roles, and job functions can shift dramatically. You need to make an effort to diversify yourself and learn some new skills as soon as possible. Ask lots of questions. Do your best to ignore the office rumor mill. Don’t listen to the chatter and certainly don’t contribute to it. “The information in the gossip network is probably inaccurate; it will be highly emotional; and there will be lots of venting”. Lastly, Reality Check: You Still Need to Prepare For the Worst."
You might like to look forward to the day when the dust settles and your work life returns to normal. Post-Merger & Acquisitions, that’s not bound to happen. That’s because the tough nut to crack is integration of the cultures, systems and people. That could take years. During that process, every aspect of your job could continue to change. No, don’t anticipate settling in.
When hasn't Disney been unhappy with something Fox does? Whatever Fox does currently before the merger closes next year...won't matter. Whether Fox release films in-between that period or not won't have anything to do with what Disney will set up later. That shouldn't be one's concerned in regard to job security. One's day-to-day responsibilities of their current job continue until the merger is done. Preparing to get involved into "integration" projects is what should be the focus, being willing and eager to branch into new roles and responsibilities. This is important because even if one remained employed after the merger, their job could be changed significantly, which equate adjustments. The acquiring company has a mandate to reduce the number of employees performing similar jobs, therefore those with the most knowledge and in–demand skills often remain.

It should be a no-brainier to everyone that Disney is likely to sever any ties to the Fox universe when they start merging these properties into the MCU. So it wouldn't matter what Fox does with their projects. There would be no connection to Disney concerning them anyway. Fox has always been doing their own thing with these Marvel properties separate from the MCU. This is nothing new. Disney has no say in it and will already have their people in place to take over once they start green-lighting new projects after the merger is fully complete. Once Fox complete their final films, that chapter closes. Disney moves on with their own. How useful someone's skill sets are will determine whether they keep their job.

To further clarify:
Yes I have seen an unfinished cut of Dark Phoenix on a friend's laptop. I don't follow how this is inconsistent with what I've said. Please explain your point more clearly so I may respond properly. Thanks.
Well, then....for clarity purposes:

-what exactly are the rumors then you are referring to that you heard about Dark Phoenix? The cancellation? Because previously you said you heard it was good, back in April. Was this coming from your same "source"? Why would they think it was good if it was so obviously a train-wreck?

Concerning the film itself which you supposedly watched:
-Was Hans Zimmer score any part of it yet?

-How was Lee Smith's editing? Such an accomplished editor part of such a train-wreck?

-What did Mauro Fiore cinematography look like?

-The tone was described as a gritty, sci-fi thriller. How did it reflect that?

-What interaction did Jessica Chastain's character have with Jean? Her relationship with Jean is described as complex. How does she manipulate her? What about the shot of Chastain kneeling near McAvoy, what happened there? I had read elsewhere of a supposed test screener saying the aliens were violent like the Sentinels from Days of Future Past. What exactly do the aliens do?

-What happened to Magneto?

-there's a "twist" described happening mid-way through the movie intending to have significant repercussions. Is that there?

-What about Jean's struggle to control the power as described in the official synopsis? How was that depicted?

these users are so annoying and pressed, damm. they should get a life or something

Well, then....for clarity purposes:

-what exactly are the rumors then you are referring to that you heard about Dark Phoenix? The cancellation? Because previously you said you heard it was good, back in April. Was this coming from your same "source"? Why would they think it was good if it was so obviously a train-wreck?

Concerning the film itself which you supposedly watched:

My apologies for my confusion regarding your question.
The rumors I initially heard about Dark Phoenix came from someone I knew that I worked with a few years back whom has since gone on to new projects, one of which was Dark Phoenix. He/she told me they thought Dark Phoenix was actually quite good which ended up being inaccurate in my opinion.

When I saw the movie, I didn't agree with that assessment at all, and neither did the person who showed it to me, we both thought it was pretty bad. As did our mutual friends that saw it with us. I can't really speak to the reasoning behind my old co-workers opinions about the film being good, I guess that's just how they felt about it, nothing wrong with that.

The woman who suggested to me that none of the Fox X-films would see release aside from Deadpool 3 was also a different employee at Fox, not connected to the previous two sources I just made mention of.

Now regarding your questions about the Dark Phoenix movie itself, I have already stated that I will not be revealing anything further about any movies I did not work on as I would prefer not to create another $h!@storm on these forums, and elsewhere. Beyond that I realize it was inappropriate for me to share rumors/spoilers about films I was not involved in the production of.

My entire goal from the beginning was to share my experience working on New Mutants, and some of the backstory to its disastrous production, and to expose the abusive behavior of the films director. And I would like to refocus my energy on those subjects rather than spread rumors & hearsay about other films that I cannot independently confirm.

With that in mind, if you have any questions about New Mutants, you are welcome to ask away. :)

Last edited:
I never said that Disney already owned fox.

Well technically you said the Deal was done.

There was a bid war going on and you come on and say the deal is done... well that certainly wasn't what it looked like at the time.

I said that many, including myself knew that Comcast never really had a chance because in the end Murdoch & Co wanted to sell to Disney. This never changed, even when Comcast got involved, we all knew that Disney was going to win in the end based on word of mouth and some other things... The process was never stopped in its tracks

Well since the shareholders put the vote back id say they were not that devoted to Disney. maybe Murdock was but he wasn't the only person with a vote when it came to how they wanted their money.

And it certainly scared Disney enough to put in a higher bid in that could be considered half of what they are worth.

the Fox characters were too important to the mouse's future plans, they would stop at nothing to win.

Disney were not paying 52 bil or 71 bil just for the FOX characters though. thats a common misconception for many who think that X-Men and F4 were what this bid war was about.

Last edited:
Well technically you said the Deal was done.

There was a bid war going on and you come on and say the deal is done... well that certainly wasn't what it looked like at the time.

It basically was a done deal, just not "official" yet. And I'm sure that from the outside it appeared as if the Disney/Fox deal wasn't going to happen. Some of us however knew it was going to happen in the end all along.

Well since the shareholders put the vote back id say they were not that devoted to Disney. maybe Murdock was but he wasn't the only person with a vote when it came to how they wanted their money.
And it certainly scared Disney enough to put in a higher bid in that could be considered half of what they are worth.

Of course it was in the best interest of the shareholders to get as much money as they could, but in the end the majority wanted to sell to Disney. I don't believe Comcast was ever really anything more than a pawn used by Fox just to squeeze a little more money out of Disney.

Disney were not paying 52 bil or 71 bil just for the FOX characters though. thats a common misconception for many who think that X-Men and F4 were what this bid war was about.

This statement certainly has a lot of truth to it, but there is no denying the HUGE factor that the ownership of the X-Men & other Marvel characters Fox had the rights to played into this.

Last edited:
@Slugzilla

So now can you answer Cktopl's questions? Because you can now prove you're a trusted scooper and not a fake newser.

Come on!

-Was Hans Zimmer score any part of it yet?

-How was Lee Smith's editing? Such an accomplished editor part of such a train-wreck?

-What did Mauro Fiore cinematography look like?

-The tone was described as a gritty, sci-fi thriller. How did it reflect that?

-What interaction did Jessica Chastain's character have with Jean? Her relationship with Jean is described as complex. How does she manipulate her? What about the shot of Chastain kneeling near McAvoy, what happened there? I had read elsewhere of a supposed test screener saying the aliens were violent like the Sentinels from Days of Future Past. What exactly do the aliens do?

-What happened to Magneto?

-there's a "twist" described happening mid-way through the movie intending to have significant repercussions. Is that there?

-What about Jean's struggle to control the power as described in the official synopsis? How was that depicted?

My apologies for my confusion regarding your question.
The rumors I initially heard about Dark Phoenix came from someone I knew that I worked with a few years back whom has since gone on to new projects, one of which was Dark Phoenix. He/she told me they thought Dark Phoenix was actually quite good which ended up being inaccurate in my opinion.
I heard others thought it was good as well. Which lead me to believe this could be something where people may have been specifically looking for things in this movie. I guess the only way to find out is to wait for release and see it myself.

Now regarding your questions about the Dark Phoenix movie itself, I have already stated that I will not be revealing anything further about any movies I did not work on as I would prefer not to create another $h!@storm on these forums, and elsewhere. Beyond that I realize it was inappropriate for me to share rumors/spoilers about films I was not involved in the production of.
Some of the questions I asked don't have anything to do with plot details of the film itself (editing, score, cinematography, tone). Since you claimed to have seen it, I was curious to get an assessment of how those elements fit within the film as a whole since these people are some of the best in the film industry. I purposely avoided questions pertaining to visual effects since they are still being worked on.

My entire goal from the beginning was to share my experience working on New Mutants, and some of the backstory to its disastrous production, and to expose the abusive behavior of the films director. And I would like to refocus my energy on those subjects rather than spread rumors & hearsay about other films that I cannot independently confirm.
Because New Mutant's release date may be so near to the merger's closing date (and may or may not place the film in the hands of Disney), I'm more uncertain about its fate and therefore less interested in its details. But FYI.....if you claimed to be an employee concerned about your future with the merger, then gossiping about production certainly won't help. Disney is likely to be even more scrutinous with who they bring on after all these rumors/leaks on Fox films. They certainly don't like alleged employees gossiping and talking about production issues of their films since they like to keep an iron grip on everything.

Last edited:
@Slugzilla

So now can you answer Cktopl's questions? Because you can now prove you're a trusted scooper and not a fake newser.

Come on!

At this point I'm really not interested in to trying to prove myself to be anything to anyone on here. There's just too much risk, blowback, & harassment to bother.

Last edited:
I heard others thought it was good as well. Which lead me to believe this could be something where people may have been specifically looking for things in this movie. I guess the only way to find out is to wait for release and see it myself.

Yeah, I suspect Dark Phoenix will have a very mixed response if it ends up being released. My circle of friends that watched it with me all thought I was really bad, but again that's just a matter of personal opinion as I also know others who have seen it that thought it was great.

Some of the questions I asked don't have anything to do with plot details of the film itself (editing, score, cinematography, tone). Since you claimed to have seen it, I was curious to get an assessment of how those elements fit within the film as a whole since these people are some of the best in the film industry. I purposely avoided questions pertaining to visual effects since they are still being worked on.

I could try and answer those non-spoiler questions, but between the fact that I saw a somewhat low quality recording of what I understand to have been a private screening, and the length of time that has passed since I viewed it, I seriously doubt I could accurately answer all of those questions anyways.

Because New Mutant's release date may be so near to the merger's closing date (and may or may not place the film in the hands of Disney), I'm more uncertain about its fate and therefore less interested in its details. But FYI.....if you claimed to be an employee concerned about your future with the merger, then gossiping about production certainly won't help. Disney is likely to be even more scrutinous with who they bring on after all these rumors/leaks on Fox films. They certainly don't like alleged employees gossiping and talking about production issues of their films since they like to keep an iron grip on everything.

I appreciate your concerns, but barring an unforeseen disaster, at this point I'm fairly confident in my job security. There were a couple of occasions since I started posting about New Mutants, where I was very concerned for my job, but thankfully those times have since passed.

Last edited:

Yeah, I suspect Dark Phoenix will have a very mixed response if it ends up being released. My circle of friends that watched it with me all thought I was really bad, but again that's just a matter of personal opinion as I also know others who have seen it that thought it was great.
Dark Phoenix is said to be a departure from Apocalypse. Even Logan was a departure from the other wolverine movies. I wonder if the shift in tone is a major factor.

I could try and answer those non-spoiler questions, but between the fact that I saw a somewhat low quality recording of what I understand to have been a private screening, and the length of time that has passed since I viewed it, I seriously doubt I could accurately answer all of those questions anyways.
This only make your statements more suspect to me. You couldn't have allegedly seen it before May (if going by an earlier post of yours). Then you were answering questions about the film and stating your opinion on it in June, specifically claiming then that you had watched it on a laptop. That's only a month or so back. Now you're saying someone made a bootleg cam video at a private screening (likely at Fox)....and nobody noticed? Was this a large screening? Like the size of a theater? There's no security at private screenings for major films yet to be released? Even test screenings (I myself have gone to some) check audience members for phones or devices and have people in place to watch the audience.

I appreciate your concerns, but barring an unforeseen disaster, at this point I'm fairly confident in my job security. There were a couple of occasions since I started posting about New Mutants, where I was very concerned for my job, but thankfully those times have since passed.
Never underestimate the hand of Disney. You also shouldn't be as confident about job security. Job security is dead, especially in an industry like that. Even in general, aside from posting on these forums. If there's one takeaway about merger/acquisitions.....it would be that no job is truly secure. Not even for high ranking executives. Any promise of continued future employment should be met with suspicion. One should always be preparing for the worse due to the amount of uncertainty and significant change in company culture.

Last edited:
Dark Phoenix is said to be a departure from Apocalypse. Even Logan was a departure from the other wolverine movies. I wonder if the shift in tone is a major factor.

The Dark Phoenix cut I saw is definitely a major departure from Apocalypse & other X-Films. It's a big change in tone & direction, but change is not always a good thing. Sometimes it can be really bad....

This only make your statements more suspect to me. You couldn't have allegedly seen it before May (if going by an earlier post of yours). Then you were answering questions about the film and stating your opinion on it in June, specifically claiming then that you had watched it on a laptop. That's only a month or so back. Now you're saying someone made a bootleg cam video at a private screening (likely at Fox)....and nobody noticed? Was this a large screening? Like the size of a theater? There's no security at private screenings for major films yet to be released? Even test screenings (I myself have gone to some) check audience members for phones or devices and have people in place to watch the audience.

Well you're free to believe whatever you want to. People can take whatever I've said previously and try to pick it apart or whatever. I really don't care anymore. I don't really have an interest in explaining any further the means by which I saw the movie.

Never underestimate the hand of Disney. You also shouldn't be as confident about job security. Job security is dead, especially in an industry like that. Even in general, aside from posting on these forums. If there's one takeaway about merger/acquisitions.....it would be that no job is truly secure. Not even for high ranking executives. Any promise of continued future employment should be met with suspicion. One should always be preparing for the worse due to the amount of uncertainty and significant change in company culture.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your statement here, but it kind of feels like a warning or perhaps even a threat. Are you simply trying to make me worry/ get under my skin/ push my buttons? Or are you just trying to give me well intentioned employment advice? I can't really tell...

Last edited:
The Dark Phoenix cut I saw is definitely a major departure from Apocalypse & other X-Films. It's a big change in tone & direction, but change is not always a good thing. Sometimes it can be really bad....
That was one of the things that made me interested in the movie, it's change in tone. Apocalypse was certainly a shift in tone. I'm eager to compare this one to that film.

Well you're free to believe whatever you want to. People can take whatever I've said previously and try to pick it apart or whatever. I really don't care anymore. I don't really have an interest in explaining any further the means by which I saw the movie.
No one has to "pick apart" anything. It's YOUR words that are merely being restated. I can't help if they seem shaky. There's been plenty of people claiming lots things with this movie in particular.

Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your statement here, but it kind of feels like a warning or perhaps even a threat. Are you simply trying to make me worry/ get under my skin/ push my buttons? Or are you just trying to give me well intentioned employment advice? I can't really tell...
Take from it what you will. I don't know if you are or aren't part of this merger since I don't know whether your claims regarding your employment are actually truthful. However, it's common knowledge regarding merger/acquisitions. This has happened before at Disney with their past mergers/acquisitions of Marvel and LucasFilm, but obviously nowhere near this scale. Disney expects over $2 billion (or more) in synergies from the Fox acquisition with the overwhelming majority of that from "cost-savings" (major source of layoffs). There's also expected to be a reduction of film releases, which is itself a form of job shrinkage:
Michael Cieply observed, there is some “scary math” behind this deal, if one looks at Disney’s history with two-studio models. “Viewed simply in terms of film counts,” Cieply wrote, “the Fox output was more than three times that of Disney for the year … [but] Disney’s film operation generates far more revenue that of Fox, with far fewer movies.” Given how Disney has historically “expanded its feature film output, only to pull back when it became apparent that a small number of large films could be much more profitable than a large number of smaller ones,” this does not bode well for maintaining the Fox output.
Full integration will take effect in 2021, so even if the merger closes in 2019, there's still no guarantee some employees will still keep their jobs immediately post merger. Anyone part of this merger definitely need a backup plan in place. Better safe than sorry.

At the same time, it's also no secret that Disney is very....meticulous with their employees, paying extraordinary attention to detail in their hiring and training processes. Just read some of their Marvel employee reviews and you'll notice a few things that keep popping up, bureaucracy and poor management. Disney does NOT like their employees disclosing anything about their jobs, especially after needing so much secrecy with their latest films.

Last edited:
That was one of the things that made me interested in the movie, it's change in tone. Apocalypse was certainly a shift in tone. I'm eager to compare this one to that film.

I'm also eager to see if the reshoots will be enough to salvage this boring, overly dramatic, bland wreck. Assuming it gets released at all.

No one has to "pick apart" anything. It's YOUR words that are merely being restated. I can't help if they seem shaky. There's been plenty of people claiming lots things with this movie in particular.

And yet despite YOUR rather shaky denial, that's exactly what you and several others have been doing, attempting to pick apart the things I've said, going all the way back to 2007. It's pathetic really, how desperate and immature you and some others have behaved in a sad attempt to discredit and "expose" me.

Take from it what you will.

It's become quite clear that you are by no means actually attempting to offer legitimate well intentioned employment advice, but rather you're behaving as a provocateur offering disingenuous "advice" aimed at provoking fear and concern on my part regarding the security of my employment. And frankly I don't appreciate it. I have not asked for, I do not want, nor do I need your employment "advice". My job is COMPLETELY SECURE, I can promise you that. I suspect you'd prefer If I was fired for speaking out, but I'm afraid at this point that's simply not going to happen. Sorry to disappoint, friend.

And with that said, you have been added to my ignore list. I wish you well.

Last edited:

Mixed response means some people are going to like it. What do you think are some of its redeeming qualities then? Or what do you think the general movie going audience will see as redeeming qualities? Without spoiling specifics.

And with that said, you have been added to my ignore list. I wish you well.

finally. Ive been wondering why it took u so long.

about Dark phoenix.... did Lamar character had any action at all? or just usual background?

Mixed response means some people are going to like it. What do you think are some of its redeeming qualities then? Or what do you think the general movie going audience will see as redeeming qualities? Without spoiling specifics.

Well, without getting into spoiler territory, there wasn't much I enjoyed about Dark Phoenix. I still enjoyed the interactions between Scott & Jean despite the fact that they didn't get anywhere near the amount of screen time together that I was expecting. There didn't seem to be much chemistry between the two actors & ST seemed almost disinterested throughout the whole movie. I thought Quicksilver was fun as always, even without completed visual effects. Honestly that's all I remember enjoying.

The movie was rather slow paced and lacking in action & fun elements. More of a mutant drama so to say. It felt almost as though they were trying too hard to make it different than previous X-Men movies. And I suspect the reshoots are intended to actually make it feel more like previous X-Men movies. So by the time it's released it may be almost indistinguishable in tone from the previous movies.

Last edited:
Oh wow, these must be some huge texts you're sending your friend to post. Almost as big as your inflated avatar.

Oh wow, these must be some huge texts you're sending your friend to post. Almost as big as your inflated avatar.

Drexelhand, why do you have so much animosity towards me? I'll never understand how people can get so upset about what another poster says about a movie on a forum. I don't believe I ever said anything disrespectful towards you until after you posted that guys private information in what seemed like an attempt to doxx me. I know I said some negative things aimed at you after that, but I was just reacting in the moment with anger. I hold no animosity towards you, so can we just calm down the rhetoric here and talk about New Mutants? Before this thread is renamed to the "Pile on Slugzilla featuring, a little New Mutants News and Discussion" thread.

And while I said text, it's usually WhatsApp that we use to message each other, but we talk on the phone a lot too.

I also have no idea how that giant thing became my avatar, I sure didn't pick it.

Last edited:
How the heck do I get rid of that avatar? I never put it there to begin with & don't see how to remove it.

Last edited:
Back to my experiences on New Mutants, despite some badness, more often than not they were good & fun experiences.

So I met the cast of New Mutants, and they were all very nice, both to me and the the rest of the team. But one member of the cast actually took it to a whole different level. She would interact with anyone that wanted to talk or wanted and autograph or whatever. She had absolutely no hint that she was better than anyone else, the absolute opposite of a diva, and was just so kind to everyone. I actually got to have several relatively long conversations with her. It was awesome. She took a lot of heat after her casting, but didn't let it bother her, and she was just a wonderful person to be around. It was an absolute blast working with Alice Braga. Even if I was a nervous wreck around her because she was so sweet and beautiful.

Next up, I'll share some stories from the hospital that were kinda creepy...

Also, could one of the Mods please do something about this giant stormtrooper avatar thingie that has suddenly and unexplainably become my avatar?

Last edited:
Just use my avatar as the replacement to your gigantic avatar. :D

I would if I could, but there's no option to select or edit my avatar in my user cp. It's very odd.

Update: it would seem that if click on the edit button on my posts and then save them without even changing anything, the avatar disappear's. Very odd.

Last edited:
I would if I could, but there's no option to select or edit my avatar in my user cp. It's very odd.

You aren't the only one this has happened to. They are apparently looking into the cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"