New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 2

<shrug>

Maybe s/he is really gone, banned, whatever.

I don't think I quite realized it had been a month since he posted.

Maybe he's banned, maybe he finally got worried about being caught (assuming he was an insider), I dunno.

Hmm, that's a fair point. Still, I think if the plan was to wait for Dark Phoenix so that they could remove New Mutants later from their slate they probably wouldn't have altered the original (third) release date so that they can change it yet again. It doesn't look that good for them if they cancel it after all that drama and the constant delays, especially now that they supposedly set their new properties in order. But ok, this is the first actual argument I've heard so far on the matter.
I agree it doesn't look good if they ultimately cancel this and send it to streaming, after the move to 2020. But you think this 4th move to 2020 sounds better? None of it is a good look, and there's no one here to blame but Fox, this film's writer, this film's director and whoever else who had their hands all over this movie.

The whole production is surely a roller coaster. My point is that FOX messed up and delayed it twice in the past. Disney had a time to evaluate the situation and think what to do with the project and decided to delay it for the third time, moving it another year. If they don't stick with that date or theatrical release it will look bad for them. They are in charge, they control everything and they know the situation. Whatever scheduling inconsistency occurs regarding distribution of any FOX product in the future, will be clearly on Disney from now on. And they're surely more meticulous than FOX to trip themselves up. Therefore while streaming is a possibility I don't see the delay as something that debunks theatrical release. In see it as something that cements it.

Disney also has reason to move it to better fit their schedule so their movies don't cannibalize each other. That's assuming they don't want to do reshoots, which would obviously necessitate a delay at this point. At this point, it doesn't matter what Fox was doing or not doing, Disney has to make its own decisions.

But I find it hard to believe they've already made any decision not to air it in theaters. if they wanted that, they would have taken it off just like they took off Gambit.

The whole production is surely a roller coaster. My point is that FOX messed up and delayed it twice in the past. Disney had a time to evaluate the situation and think what to do with the project and decided to delay it for the third time, moving it another year. If they don't stick with that date or theatrical release it will look bad for them. They are in charge, they control everything and they know the situation. Whatever scheduling inconsistency occurs regarding distribution of any FOX product in the future, will be clearly on Disney from now on. And they're surely more meticulous than FOX to trip themselves up. Therefore while streaming is a possibility I don't see the delay as something that debunks theatrical release. In see it as something that cements it.
You say that as if Disney has never delayed any movies on their slate in the past. This studio can afford it.

Last edited:
But I find it hard to believe they've already made any decision not to air it in theaters. if they wanted that, they would have taken it off just like they took off Gambit.
Of course, the difference between Gambit and New Mutants is the former has zero seconds of film on hand. Disney can just say that film is no longer happening and that's that. The writing was already on the wall.

The latter has a completed movie with an Act 1, Act 2 and Act 3. Quality notwithstanding. Disney has several options how they want to go forward with the film they have. Up to and including moving to streaming. Disney saying that film is cancelled NOW, like they did to Gambit, would just produce more questions and the sky-is-falling posts from fans and the media, something they probably don't want to deal with especially now when Dark Phoenix needs all the positive news it can get.

Last edited:
You're say that as if Disney has never delayed any movies on their slate in the past. This studio can afford it.
No I'm saying that because this specific movie has already been delayed too many times. And to be fair it's not a common practice for Disney amongst films that have already finished production. But more to the point I fail to grasp the benefits of streaming. Whether financially or in terms of public image I really don't see how that option is any better for them.

I don't have a dog in this race. I don't know the answer to the question: Should this be released theatrically or to streaming or cancel altogether. I honestly don't know how Disney can polish this turd-of-a-situation Fox has put this IP in but...

You don't see the benefit of putting up a movie to streaming for a company that's trying to entice people to sign up...for their brand new streaming service?

If the movie is indeed as bad as you're describing it to be, why would they want to start off their brand new platform on such a low note? Why attract people on a service they want to make huge in the future by promoting it with a terrible film they supposedly want to bury? Do you honestly think that makes more business sense than a casual theatrical release with a moderate marketing where they can put inside their pockets most of the profit without having spent a dime in production?

Disney slotted this in their announced release slate because they have every intention of releasing it. LOL. This is a business. Money was spent on this and money needs to be returned.

If the movie is indeed as bad as you're describing it to be, why would they want to start off their brand new platform on such a low note? Why attract people on a service they want to make huge in the future by promoting it with a terrible film they supposedly want to bury? Do you honestly think that makes more business sense than a casual theatrical release with a moderate marketing where they can put inside their pockets most of the profit without having spent a dime in production?
Scenario 1, they spend zero money on reshoots but put up money for marketing.
Scenario 2, they spend zero money on reshoots and spend zero money on marketing.

Both above scenarios assume Disney thinks the movie will severely underperform, if not outright bomb. What would Disney do?

I am no expert but I'm assuming they'd still have to spend some money promoting this in a streaming service, even if it's their own, though obviously it would be far less than in a theatrical release. But they really don't need to spend all that much for the latter. They can have a half-baked marketing and have more actual gain than subscribtions they'd get anyways.

Even if it turns out to be another Fant4stic or this year's Hellboy, contrary to the other studios losing money, this bomb will still make money for them and at the same time being more easily forgotten than something that celebrates and stays forever on their newly-found service, assuming they're really not proud of that film.

In any case this is all speculation and very theoretical. I don't know for sure exactly how the streaming business works and how much actual gain can someone have compared to a very different release format.

As of now I see no reason to doubt the official release schedule but who knows what's in their mind. Maybe they even want to spend some money on reshoots if they believe that's going to significantly increase the chances of making profit. Maybe they'll delay it yet again. And if it does go on streaming, I still think Hulu is far more likely, especially now that they fully own it. Maybe you're right and it does go to Disney+ but I don't see it at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

Of course, the difference between Gambit and New Mutants is the former has zero seconds of film on hand. Disney can just say that film is no longer happening and that's that. The writing was already on the wall.

The latter has a completed movie with an Act 1, Act 2 and Act 3. Quality notwithstanding. Disney has several options how they want to go forward with the film they have. Up to and including moving to streaming. Disney saying that film is cancelled NOW, like they did to Gambit, would just produce more questions and the sky-is-falling posts from fans and the media, something they probably don't want to deal with especially now when Dark Phoenix needs all the positive news it can get.

They could also have taken it off the schedule without cancelling it.

If the movie is indeed as bad as you're describing it to be?
Is the movie being bad something I conjured up? You actually think Fox delayed this multiple times for s***s and giggles?
why would they want to start off their brand new platform on such a low note? Why attract people on a service they want to make huge in the future by promoting it with a terrible film they supposedly want to bury? Do you honestly think that makes more business sense than a casual theatrical release with a moderate marketing where they can put inside their pockets most of the profit without having spent a dime in production?
Who said this would be one of their titles on the app right out the gate? Regardless, you think every single film or TV show on Netflix is gold?
Disney slotted this in their announced release slate because they have every intention of releasing it. LOL. This is a business. Money was spent on this and money needs to be returned.
Before July 27th I would have agreed. But Mowgli has shown us we live in a different world. One where studios have several other options for their substandard films. Releasing this in theatres on April 2020 is but one of those options, and might still happen. But it's not the only option.
They could also have taken it off the schedule without cancelling it.
Has any studio ever done that? If the studio did that now, anyone with a pulse would know it's being cancelled, which would provide further negative press for this movie's franchise-mate, Dark Phoenix and we're back to square one. Every fanboy and their mother would pounce, much more so than they are now.

Last edited:
Is the movie being bad something I conjured up? You actually think Fox delayed this multiple times for s***s and giggles?
It's obvious we're talking about something the studio wasn't happy with the path it took. Whether it's indeed a total garbage of a film remains to be seen.
Who said this would be one of their titles on the app right out the gate? Regardless, you think every single film or TV show on Netflix is gold?
But Netflix did start strong both in tv series and movies. And that was back in 2013 where original content was not as important as it is now for a streaming service.

And regardless of quality it's a movie that has no connection to their established universe and there are no prospects of it having a sequel. Which makes even less sense for me to put in a new platform that wants to celebrate the MCU alongside other Disney properties.

A one and done horrible film that they want to hide so they'll put it on plain sight somewhere they want to attract crowds? Don't you think a movie like that can more easily fly under the radar in a casual theatrical release?

Last edited:
It's obvious we're talking about something the studio wasn't happy with the path it took. Whether it's indeed a total garbage of a film remains to be seen.
LOL ok.
But Netflix did start strong both in tv series and movies. And that was back in 2013 where original content was not as important as it is now for a streaming service.
Here's Netflix's first original content. A show that has a 63% Tomatometer rating and was cancelled after 3 seasons. Lillyhammer. Yea remember that show? Me neither.
And regardless of quality it's a movie that has no connection to their established universe and there are no prospects of it having a sequel. Which makes even less sense for me to put in a new platform that wants to celebrate the MCU alongside other Disney properties.
You think Disney bought Fox's ginormous library of IPs and films and TV shows to "celebrate the MCU" and other Disney IPs?
A one and done horrible film that they want to hide so they'll put it on plain sight somewhere they want to attract crowds? Don't you think a movie like that can more easily fly under the radar in a casual theatrical release?
Not if they have to spend additional money to market it.
But you're saying they want to hide it by releasing it in April? Shouldn't they have slotted it in January then?

Here's Netflix's first original content. A show that has a 63% Tomatometer rating and was cancelled after 3 seasons. Lillyhammer. Yea remember that show? Me neither.
The first Netflix original was House of Cards, an acclaimed tv show, by critics and audience alike. Their first original film was Beasts of No Nation, by far one of their very few quality material in terms of movies. But I put more emphasis on the fact that original content is of far more importance now, especially since there is much competition around. No one would want to release a "complete disaster" as one of their first movies to promote a platform.
You think Disney bought Fox's ginormous library of IPs and films and TV shows to "celebrate the MCU" and other Disney IPs?
No, but I do think Disney+ will mostly play that part. At least in the beginning.
Not if they have to spend additional money to market it.
Like I said, they're going to spend some money promoting it in either case. And I gather they're going to make far more in a theatrical release. Without having to beat the drum for a movie that they're not proud of.
But you're saying they want to hide it by releasing it in April? Shouldn't they have slotted it in January then?
I'm saying that if they thought it was an utter failure they'd probably want to hide it. So maybe they don't. Maybe they believe it has a chance, hence the theatrical release. I can't make any more assumptions. I honestly don't know and neither do you. Whether you're right or wrong we'll be here to talk about it in the future. I never claimed I find your scenario completely implausible, anyway. Just not likely as is.

I honestly don't know and neither do you. Whether you're right or wrong we'll be here to talk about it in the future. I never claimed I find your scenario completely implausible, anyway. Just not likely as is.
:up:

Disney is in an awkward position.

Dark Phoenix is being marketed as the end of the Fox X-Men franchise. But those who invested in New Mutants will want their money back. They're said to have spent $40m-$50m on this, according to Slugzilla. Disney can't write that off because it wasn't the one investing it in the first place.

A low-key cinematic release could be one solution, or a streaming service.

Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor Joy are good cast members to consider keeping, but not the only options for those characters.

Maybe Disney is waiting to see the performance of Dark Phoenix? But then it would seem odd to release another Fox-produced X-Men film when it has just marketed DP as the end.

It all feels like a big muddle and i think that's why they have just removed it from its existing date and shuffled it along to a future date for the moment, until they figure out what to do with it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"