New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 2

Why did he make Cecilia Reyes, one of the f'n X-MEN, into an evil psychopath?

How do they have no other workers at the hospital? Who maintains everything there?

He was originally going to make it Storm and I think the hospital was supposed to be tied to the X-men.

Its unforgivable that they turned Dr. Cecilia Reyes M.D. to a villain! Now people who will see the film might think she's some villainess like Psylocke.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 7. It's a mid-tier X-Men film for me. Plot is pretty straightforward, but the cast chemistry kept it very engaging and I liked the slow build to the use of mutant powers. The hospital sort of reminded me of Clockworks in Legion. Of the main cast, Blu Hunt, Maisie Williams, and Anya Taylor-Joy were my favorites.

The brief acknowledgements to the greater X-Men world had me grinning because I figured this wouldn't have any nods whatsoever, including that one surprising reference. So I enjoyed it. Nice to see, again, something done different with a comic book film, even though this felt more creepy than outright horror, as the first teaser hinted. Glad I saw it and it was nice to be back in a movie theater, but in the end, I guess slugzilla was right.

The New Mutants never came out in theaters after all.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 7. It's a mid-tier X-Men film for me. Plot is pretty straightforward, but the cast chemistry kept it very engaging and I liked the slow build to the use of mutant powers. The hospital sort of reminded me of Clockworks in Legion. Of the main cast, Blu Hunt, Maisie Williams, and Anya Taylor-Joy were my favorites.

The brief acknowledgements to the greater X-Men world had me grinning because I figured this wouldn't have any nods whatsoever, including that one surprising reference. So I enjoyed it. Nice to see, again, something done different with a comic book film, even though this felt more creepy than outright horror, as the first teaser hinted. Glad I saw it and it was nice to be back in a movie theater, but in the end, I guess slugzilla was right.

The New Mutants never came out in theaters after all.
This is definitely fair assessment. I'd even bump it to 7.5 thanks to the cast. I honestly don't get the ratings. This isn't a Dark Phoenix or X-Men Origins

I ended up enjoying this quite a bit as well. I still haven't seen Dark Phoenix, but I was always more interested in this film based on the trailers and honestly I wasn't all that dissapointed with what we got. The scares were probably the weakest parts, but I liked this cast and the location, especially Blu Hunt, Maisie Williams and Anya Taylor Joy who looked great towards the end when you finally get to see her powers unleashed during that third act fight.

I honestly would not have minded seeing these characters come back in some capacity in the future, but I am more than happy that these characters will eventually be integrated into the MCU, so that Feige and co can actually have a chance at creating something great with these characters.

6.5/10

I feel like the actors all deserve to meet up with the new X-Men at some point or at least other MCU characters. Hell, if they could get their own show on disney plus I'd take that, they did their best with what they had.

When I was ranking the FoX Marvel movies in another thread. I put this below X-Men Origins Wolverine. And I realized how dull the cast of the New Mutants were in the movie. The only one that had a personality imo is the actress playing Magik but the rest were pretty meh and they had this movie for themselves for 90 mins, there was no quick 2 minute role.

The X-Men spin-off ‘cut in half by Hollywood reality’

Boone says he’s ‘super curious’ on how Marvel will eventually handle the Mutants. The article kind of leaves you feeling at least a little bad for the director having his movie impacted by all these unforeseen events like the merger, and the pandemic.
After seeing the final product, I don't feel bad for the director. The movie should have been released way back in 2018. But I guess the movie was cheap enough to be delayed several times and they thought they could redo or salvage it and this wouldn't happen if Josh Boone made a good movie in the 1st place.

I feel like the actors all deserve to meet up with the new X-Men at some point or at least other MCU characters. Hell, if they could get their own show on disney plus I'd take that, they did their best with what they had.

It's unlikely, but I'd happily take a series if it allowed Boone to tell the story he would've told had he gotten to do his planned trilogy.

New Mutants, at the end of the day, like Dark Phoenix, just happened to be Marvel films caught up during Disney's acquisition, which led to delays that ultimately aren't the fault of the films themselves. Maybe on Earth 2 or something, had the acquisition not happened, I imagine that perhaps both this and Dark Phoenix would've been out at their original dates and probably have more coming to continue those stories.

It's unlikely, but I'd happily take a series if it allowed Boone to tell the story he would've told had he gotten to do his planned trilogy.

New Mutants, at the end of the day, like Dark Phoenix, just happened to be Marvel films caught up during Disney's acquisition, which led to delays that ultimately aren't the fault of the films themselves. Maybe on Earth 2 or something, had the acquisition not happened, I imagine that perhaps both this and Dark Phoenix would've been out at their original dates and probably have more coming to continue those stories.
Dark Phoenix was hurt more by the bad buzz of Apocalypse, the underwhelming trailers, and releasing in a crowded summer movie season, than the delays caused by the Disney acquisition. So the movie likely would’ve bombed even without the Disney acquisition, and Fox would’ve most likely done a hard reboot of the franchise and not continue with the stories anyway.

And it really doesn’t really matter if Boone had plans for a New Mutants trilogy when the first movie likely wouldn’t have done well enough to get any sequels anyway(even if Fox was never bought). Not to mention, if reports are to be believed, Fox executives didn’t like Boone’s cut of New Mutants, and likely would’ve taken the movie away from him and tasked another director to handle the reshoots; similar to what Fox did with another Josh for their other troubled comic book movie *cough* *cough* Fan4stic *cough* had it not been for the many delays making it virtually impossible for them to do.

Last edited:
Rupert Murdoch really sold Fox film/tv studio at the right time. Though I wish the Disney buyout happened earlier before Dark PhoeniX and the New Mutants started filming.

When I was ranking the FoX Marvel movies in another thread. I put this below X-Men Origins Wolverine. And I realized how dull the cast of the New Mutants were in the movie. The only one that had a personality imo is the actress playing Magik but the rest were pretty meh and they had this movie for themselves for 90 mins, there was no quick 2 minute role.

seems like your are mixing the character with the actual actors. They werent playing themself, but characters written and directed by other people. Completely different than their own personalities. :cwink:

They were dull in the movie. Sometimes actors can carry a film despite the material. None of the actors eXcept for Anya, made this better movie by their presence. The cast of Origins Wolverine (most of them) had spark/chemistry/charm in that terrible movie.

Thats totally bad but not completely surprising for a critically panned movie. I guess when it comes to new movies, people are either watching Tenet or Mulan @ home. Both movies got better way reviews than this one as well. Predictably so.

Isn’t it strange that New Mutants still doesn’t have a Cinemascore yet Tenet already has one despite the fact the it just came out, while NM has been out for a week?

Last edited:
Isn’t it strange that New Mutants still doesn’t have a Cinemascore yet Tenet already has one despite the fact the it just came out, while NM has been out for a week?
Thats weird.

Also the New Mutants is also eXpanding to NJ/California this weekend. I don't live in America, is there any state that haven't opened the cinemas yet aside aside from NY?

Thats weird.

Also the New Mutants is also eXpanding to NJ/California this weekend. I don't live in America, is there any state that haven't opened the cinemas yet aside aside from NY?
California still has theaters closed but they’ll be re-opening in some areas soon, and I think New Jersey theaters are still closed.

They were dull in the movie. Sometimes actors can carry a film despite the material. None of the actors eXcept for Anya, made this better movie by their presence. The cast of Origins Wolverine (most of them) had spark/chemistry/charm in that terrible movie.

not Magik making this movie better when her character was the worst written one.
Havent you read all the critics to her dialogue and attitude on the movie?

sometime it seems like you mostly care about who looks hotter/more comic accurate, than anything else, like... you know... the actual script and scenes.

not Magik making this movie better when her character was the worst written one.
Havent you read all the critics to her dialogue and attitude on the movie?

sometime it seems like you mostly care about who looks hotter/more comic accurate, than anything else, like... you know... the actual script and scenes.
Since when I mentioned her looks and looking comic accurate in my review? I clearly referred to her Personality. Don't twist my words.

Also I have seen the movie. I don't need to read reviews from other people to form an opinion. Happy now? And yes for the third time, the cast was dull in the movie except for Magik. Its a small cast, and i didnt like the other five, so what?. You can blame that on Josh Boone all you want. I'm not here to change your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"