New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 2

not Magik making this movie better when her character was the worst written one.
Havent you read all the critics to her dialogue and attitude on the movie?

sometime it seems like you mostly care about who looks hotter/more comic accurate, than anything else, like... you know... the actual script and scenes.
Also may I add, your perception towards me is very unwarranted and wrong.

If I only care about hot looking actors, then why I didn't like Sunspot who was shirtless in the movie.

Maisie, Blu and Charlie looked the part imo. And I didn't like them in the movie.

Your posts really remind me of @Angamb who was very confrontational and attacked users out of nowhere. Anyway, you are in my ignore list now. So don't bother replying.

This is going to sound a bit odd but New Mutants releasing in a time where expectations have lowered for a blockbuster making bank is oddly a blessing in disguise. If it were released in a time where there wasn’t a global pandemic, this would’ve crashed and burned financially then be promptly forgotten about(like Dark Phoenix). It being one of the first movies to open in the states since the pandemic must’ve helped it some; opening in a time where there is reduced attendance capacity in theaters. A movie like NM opening to over a million in this day and age where it’s a risk just sitting in a room full of strangers is quite impressive. The standards for a movie making bank have lowered enough that even the paltry 7 million dollar New Mutants opening weekend can seem pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Yeah we could use the pandemic as a reason to its low boX office numbers. But I never thought there would be a foX-Marvel movie that would gross lower than Elektra.

I also think this wouldn't be released in China and certain countries if they don't remove some scenes between Dani/Rahne. And I'm not sure if Disney is going to bother releasing it in those countries.

Box Office: ‘Mulan’ Nabs $6M Overseas As ‘Bill & Ted’ Rules VOD

In domestic box office news that isn’t about Tenet, Disney’s The New Mutants earned $2.9 million (-58%) over its second Fri-Sun weekend for a likely $3.5 million Labor Day frame. The $80 million X-Men spin-off will have around $12.5 million domestic and $21 million worldwide by Monday. As noted yesterday, a 58% drop would be “normal” for an MCU movie in “normal” times, and even above the 61% drops of Spider-Man: Homecoming, Captain America and Ant-Man and the Wasp. It’s right in the middle among second-weekend drops for the 13 X-Men movies (including the Wolverine trilogy and the Deadpool flicks). The biggest such drop is 71% for Dark Phoenix and the best hold is 53% for X2 with everything else between 56% and 69%.

How about that? This is actually holding over better than expected. Given the reviews, I was anticipating a pretty steep drop-off. That’s pretty impressive. Not that it matters much anyway considering how low it opened.

If this was released in a crowded summer season pre-pandemic like Dark Phoenix, while it definitely would’ve had a much bigger opening weekend than 7 million, the movie would’ve likely suffered a steep drop-off since I can’t imagine the WOM would be any different. Funny enough, the unique circumstances this movie was released in has both cursed it with a low box office opening and blessed it with a low box office drop off.

Thanks to the virus there’s little in terms of actual competition for New Mutants(besides Tenet) so it’s not too surprising it has a low second weekend box office drop-off despite the poor WOM. Nowadays, people don’t have a lot of choices for escapist entertainment in theaters. It’s either this, or Tenet. So I’m betting a lot of people who went to see this movie weren’t really anticipating it like say Tenet, but they saw it anyway to kill some time. So basically a matinee. Again, it doesn’t mean much because anyway you slice it the movie is pretty much a dud.

Last edited:
I actually enjoyed the movie. I liked the fact that each character got developed, had a origin/backstory unlike the X-Men movies where Logan Charles, etc only get developed.

Illyana was the highlight for me! Yeah I know some ppl have a problem with some of her dialogue and characteristics but we have to remember that the movies aren’t the comic. Roberto was his cocky self reminded of his little character episode in X-Men Evolution. Rahne Dani and Sam were awesome too everyone had their accent it was great. Now I’m curious to see Boone’s trilogy.

Why does it feel like people in Hollywood assume when its a Terminator / Star Wars / Star Trek / Marvel / DC / Movie (Insert Popular IP with a built in crowd) that guarantees success ? Maybe back in the 90s but the audience has slowly but surely got smarter as they get older. We actually expect more from adaptions if they want our money & support & not just the title

Also, when director thinks they are superior to the material and changes, or deconstructs it to the degre of it being unrecognizable beyond certain asthetic signals, it's a pointless excercise beyond the director using and abusing the material to build a profile and show what an artist they are. Fans should reject this dismissive poV.

Also may I add, your perception towards me is very unwarranted and wrong.

If I only care about hot looking actors, then why I didn't like Sunspot who was shirtless in the movie.

Maisie, Blu and Charlie looked the part imo. And I didn't like them in the movie.

Your posts really remind me of @Angamb who was very confrontational and attacked users out of nowhere. Anyway, you are in my ignore list now. So don't bother replying.
Wow, I wasnt even insulting your or anything. What did happen on here? lol
I was just expressing the vibe I get from you sometimes, regarding these movies, it wasnt offensive or something like that to make you ignore me (or anyone for that matter).
but its up to you, of course, everyone is free to ignore whoever they feel.

I saw it on Tuesday. The production felt like an average Netflix movie or show and there were some very cringy dialogues in the first half of the film but overall I expected much worse and I have to say I ended up enjoying it.

There were some promising aspects in it that weren't realised as they should. The characters felt a bit thin, the acting and special effects were also average and unfortunately they really toned down the horror elements. However, I liked Demon Bear, I really liked Magik, I felt the cast had chemistry in most scenes and the whole setting and reason behind it being a horror movie was very intriguing.

So, overall a bit of a mixed bag but mostly on the positive side for me. Low expectations certainly helped but I think it was mostly a missed opportunity rather than a bad movie.

So I finally got to in to see this and omg I thought it was terrible. It’s actually a real shame imo how drastic a turn in quality the X-Men movies have taken in recent history after DOFP (spare Logan). This is just my opinion but I thought Apocalypse was just bad, Dark Phoenix was even worse and this I was just left thinking “who wrote this complete pile of steaming hot ****? And didn’t they pretty much entirely rewrite it? I mean how bad must have the original version been before the ended up with this car crash?”

I just saw this.

It is a mixed bag. I think the first half seemed.. low budget suspense/horror ..hard to explain just did not feel like a big production movie. But then I got into it and I liked it.

I did not like some of the casting, this from someone who did not even read New mutants.

Maisie and Blu I thought were the best.
Charlie was good.
Henry was just there.
Anya was over the top too often bordered on silly.
Alice just was horrible.

One thing that really bothered me , and trying to not be spoilerish.. is Dani's behaviour/reaction thought the rest of the movie towards what happened at the beginning like it did not bother her too much.
I lost my dad and I was pretty darn upset about it for some time and we were not super close, not to mention her entire village was destroy, yes I fail to remember her shedding one year, even when talking about the necklace her dad made for her

Anyways worth a watch. I will probably watch it again at some point in the future. Not as bad as some made it. It's not great either but there are far far worse out there.

I thought the movie was ok. It was a bit boring and I looked at the clock a few times. I did like the connection to Logan though. I was pleasantly surprised about that so I think that kept my attention for the rest of the movie. I gather this takes place after Logan though, right?

I thought the movie was ok. It was a bit boring and I looked at the clock a few times. I did like the connection to Logan though. I was pleasantly surprised about that so I think that kept my attention for the rest of the movie. I gather this takes place after Logan though, right?

Either after or simultaneously it seems.

Meanwhile, should be picking up my steelbook copy of the film today.

Love BestBuy for all of the steelbook editions they do. And they usually ship quite a bit before release day, which is a nice bonus.

Watched the film last night. Masterpiece next to Dark Phoenix. I liked the cast. Minus Reyes, I liked the portrayal of the characters. I did like some of the X-References and Series throughout.

For the entries of the series considered "bad" lets say, I usually rank by this:
The Last Stand and Apocalypse - The good outweighs the bad and it's a okay, flawed film.-
Origins - The bad outweights the good and it's a... "okay" film. I can still enjoy it somewhat.
Dark Phoenix - Mama, it's garbage.

With that said, i'm still not totally sure, but I think I'd put The New Mutants in The Last Stand/Apocalypse territory. There was more that I liked than I disliked. If this type of story was released alongside the original films, I'd totally love it.

Finally saw this. I was expecting a trash fire given the RT ratings and some reviews I saw. But....it wasn't that bad. I liked the core plot. I wish the characters were a bit more 3 dimensional. They played more like stereotypes for most of the film. But, I liked this a lot more than trash like Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, or Origins: Wolverine.

Middle tier X-Men film. This did make me kind of wish I could have seen Mr. Sinister at some point in the franchiae.

Middle tier X-Men film. This did make me kind of wish I could have seen Mr. Sinister at some point in the franchiae.
I feel totally differently. After seeing this movie, I’m super thankful the Fox movies never got to do Mr. Sinister since that leaves the character on the table for the MCU to use for their version in the future. And After Apocalypse, I’d rather Marvel be the first ones to bring the character to the big screen than Fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"