The Dark Knight Nicholson on Ledger playing the Joker

Yeah, I know I don't matter. Now if only you'd realize the same about yourself. :cwink: And as for the "public" knowing that he's great, that's BS. Some people love him, some hate him, some couldn't care less. It's not like everyone out there blindly loves Nicholson.And like I said earlier, he's YOUNG. He hasn't even had a chance to put that many movies out there yet, and like I also said, I'm sure he already has more hit movies out there than Jack had at the same age.
All of those actors you mentioned are/were leagues above Jack even when Jack's at his best. And I guess you have some kind of magic mirror to see the future, since you're so certain that none of our younger actors will be so legendary. I don't tend to make pompous assumptions like that myself.Ledger isn't groundbreaking? He's a household name now because of his performance in Brokeback Mountain. And believe me, his performance had a LOT to do with that movie being the instant classic that it is (not to take away from what Jake Gyllenhaal and other great actors brought to that movie). But I guess you were living under a rock while that movie (and Heath's performance) were receiving virtually unanimous praise.

He became an icon in my house after 10 Things. :up: I've liked him for a long time. So to me he's as good, if not getting better than, Jack. His ability to blast the screens with so much pure emotion, you can't help but respect him as an actor.

heath ledger? houshold name? say wha? I really must be under a rock

Ledgerr isn't groundbreaking? He's a household name now because of his performance in Brokeback Mountain. And believe me, his performance had a LOT to do with that movie being the instant classic that it is (not to take away from what Jake Gyllenhaal and other great actors brought to that movie). But I guess you were living under a rock while that movie (and Heath's performance) were receiving virtually unanimous praise.

Sorry brokeback has some fine acting in it but its success is purely down to the fact it is about two gay cowboys esecially in a country like america. putting cowboys the optimum of american masculinity and gay a lifestyle still hated by most is like putting a match to gasoline.

Dude that is straight up bulls***. You want to be bashing a lifestyle, go somewhere else bro, that's not tolerated here.

I did read your posts, perhaps you should re-word them ...... the overriding sentiment of all your posts is basically .. Nicholson = awesome, Ledger = nothing. Nicholson's a Hollywood legend in his 70s and Ledger is a relatively new actor who has been steadily making a name for himself as a decent actor, so why not give him a chance?

I also think you'll find that no-one is slating Nicholson as an actor. Everyone agrees he did a great job as Joker in B89 but most people are unimpressed with his apparent attitude in real-life regarding TDK. Acting legend are not, he sounds like a whiney *****.

Gaz

I dont get all this sentiment about an actor having to love the roles they play with amazing passion as a fanboy its good to hear ill admit but if Bale said tomorrow that he hates batman, never read a comic in his life and only did it for exposure and a big paycheck but he still put in an amazing performance in TDK would it hurt you so much to me i wouldnt really care.

I dunno if people go oh heath ledger he was great in candy!. Nah they probably go oh the gay cowboy? He really isn't well known, but still known. Definitley not a house hold name. Now Will Ferral, Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Jack Nicholson. Those are household names.

I dont get all this sentiment about an actor having to love the roles they play with amazing passion as a fanboy its good to hear ill admit but if Bale said tomorrow that he hates batman, never read a comic in his life and only did it for exposure and a big paycheck but he still put in an amazing performance in TDK would it hurt you so much to me i wouldnt really care.

You care enough to come on here and defend Nicholson when people question why he's whining about it ......

Heath is known more as a teenage girl heart throb actor. But his roles in the recent years have shown that he is ready to make that leap to major adult films and this will be his "coming out" performance. no brokeback pun intended... haha

Ledger doesn't "love" the role. He's never read the comics. You don't have a passion for the role you're playing but just plain passion...why am I bothering. You only don't like Ledger cause of his Brokeback role. No point trying to convince you in any of it.

:down

Where is googleme when we need him!:woot:

Heath is known more as a teenage girl heart throb actor. But his roles in the recent years have shown that he is ready to make that leap to major adult films and this will be his "coming out" performance. no brokeback pun intended... haha

should have kept the pun, it made me chuckle

Dude that is straight up bulls***. You want to be bashing a lifestyle, go somewhere else bro, that's not tolerated here.

What are you talking about? read the post I stated Brokeback has some fine acting but its success is down to its controvertial storyline if you dont think some people in the world dont like the homosexual lifestyle you have been living under a rock all your life i personally dont care if a person is gay or not its a personal choice dont try to smear me as a hater "bro" it wont work.:word:

I dunno if people go oh heath ledger he was great in candy!. Nah they probably go oh the gay cowboy? He really isn't well known, but still known. Definitley not a house hold name. Now Will Ferral, Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Jack Nicholson. Those are household names.

For me it's "oh that p***ed off aussie guy". Top name in my house is Pacino by far.

You care enough to come on here and defend Nicholson when people question why he's whining about it ......

But i care far more about an actors performance they put in then the "love" for the role.

I personally don't care for it when actors badmouth a different type of film. Such as Gene Wilder badmouthing Johnny Depp and the Tim Burton uh not remake but uhh whatever that word is starts with a re-
I respect their opinions, because they are only human. I would be mad also if Ledger in an interview said "jack didn't quite get joker like i did" Then ya. Oh well I remain neutral

What are you talking about read the post I stated Brokeback has some fine acting but its success is down to its controvertial storyline if you dont think some people in the world dont like the homosexual lifestyle you have been living under a rock all your life i personally dont care if a person is gay or not its a personal choice dont try to smear me as a hater "bro" it wont work.:word:

Kiddo you still bashed gay people. Read your own statement, I'm sure others agree. You know what, I don't care what intolerant idiots like or don't like. And I don't need to label you as anything as you've clearly labeled yourself in these threads. And this "you're living under a rock" you keep saying, I'm sure I've lived alot more in my 22 years than you have in your 15. Just stop dude, it's getting old. You obviously just want to start something and I don't care to get banned for your unproven theories.

Nicholson is awesome :D

You say it the way you really feel, Jack :up:

ya being gay is a choice. cause people love being persecuted (though some times it is a choice like Anne Hayshe(sp))

I personally don't care for it when actors badmouth a different type of film. Such as Gene Wilder badmouthing Johnny Depp and the Tim Burton uh not remake but uhh whatever that word is starts with a re-
I respect their opinions, because they are only human. I would be mad also if Ledger in an interview said "jack didn't quite get joker like i did" Then ya. Oh well I remain neutral

Yeah. If Ledger was bad mouthing Jack, I'd bash him to no end. But the role's reversed. Jack isn't so much bashing, but acting a little over the top about the whole situation. I'm not for who's most popular, I'm for who's right.

Jack is Jack. bottom line, and thats' why he's still int he biz.

Never ask if we're insane, the answer is always yes. He did get serious at the end of the question's answer. He's just bitter. I would slightly be bitter about it too. He's not getting the usual attention and this new kid comes in and not only gets all the girls but gets alot of praise from the boys too. With Ledger, women want him, men want to be him. With Jack it's different. Depending on Ledger's Joker's comical side depends on who tops the Joker jokes.
Fella are you serious?!
004.gif

That was the biggest exaggeration I've ever read for Ledger's reputation. Christ, you'd think Heath was the next Hollywood Bad Boy from what you just typed there. He's barely a blip in the Hollywood circles right now. Brokeback Mountain has gotten him recognition, but he's FAR from cementing himself in the movie biz.

Much less, making Nicholson "bitter". Oh man...
006.gif

It's a role from a nearly 20 year old film...and again, Nicholson doesn't seem to me to be the kind of personality that would care THIS much about any of the past roles he's played.
Have you completely missed the various interviews where he's stated that Joker IS his favorite role? It's even in the B89 SE DVD, it's one of the few roles he'd love to do again. Clearly he's passionate about it.

I don't see what the problem is. I love "Batman Begins", its my favourite Batfilm, and I think Heath Ledger will be awesome (and maybe even better than Nicholson) as The Joker. But still, I have no problem with Jack Nicholson saying this.

Why? Because it shows he cared about the part of The Joker. I loved him in "Batman" as The Joker, and it's good to hear he was passionate about the role too. I have heard that he always wanted to have Joker be resurrected for a sequel, and was greatly disappointed when it never happened.
Plain and simple, babies in here walked into the thread wanting Jack to praise or congrat Ledger, for whatever reason. Fact is, only the fans know the work Heath has put into this role, and have read/heard/seen the fresh things he's done with the character, albeit bits and pieces.

But in the -- *gasp* -- OUTSIDE world, Heath taking on Jack's role is still a bonafide shock, and a bit of a wonder. They're all a bit like how we were the day Heath was announced; confused, bewildered, speechless. So to expect any sort of compliments outside of "Good Luck" is a bit unfounded. Let TDK get released first, then judge people's reactions.

To be honest, I'm glad Jack said what he said. There wasn't much to say on the topic, since hardly anything's been released on Ledger's performance. If anything, we know Jack still has immense love for the character. And for bringing that character to life and popularizing it with the masses to this day, well, I can't get mad at him.

Uh, wait. Are people actually ballsy (aka ridiculous) enough to compare Ledger to Nicholson? Am I reading something incorrectly here? You just can't do that at all.

And no Ledger is NOT a household name. If you go up to someone and ask them who Heath Ledger is, they wouldn't know. But if you go up to someone and ask them if they know that Brokeback Mountain actor, then yeah, they'd know because that movie drew in tons of controversy and attention.

I haven't seen Brokeback but the movies I have seen of him I don't think at all he's proven himself. Promise? Yes, he's shown some. But I am not going to assume he will automatically be great as the Joker. I am going to wait, because he could be a Tim Story FF Dr Doom sized casting disaster.

I think one of the major issues I have with Nicholson's Joker is that it's Jack Nicholson as the Joker. Yes, his psychotic personality fits the character, but still it's Jack Nicholson in prosthetics. With Heath Ledger, he's pretty well known, yes, but if he's as immersed in the character as it seems to be implied we'll be picturing the Joker, not Heath Ledger.

P.S. Off Topic, but I can't help thinking of Heath Ledger's Joker whenever I listen to this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwbtbfAnI80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"