Nicholson on Ledger playing the Joker

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by Vengeance of Bane, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Jkr

Jkr Guest

Now if he could change up his voice like Ledger :up: we'd be in business.

2. Damiean Dark

Damiean Dark Registered

Sorry to rain on your parade but you really dont matter the public know jack is one of the greatest. I agree jacks had some stinkers but really What exactly has ledger done im loath to really put him down but he has done three films of note IMO YES THREE! Candy, Brokeback mountain and lords of dogdown all good performances (except dogtown whre he acted terrible imo) but hardly groundbreaking and better then any other actor at this time could do. Actors today are different then years past there will never be another actor revered like greats like al pachino, laurence olivier, antony hopkins, robert dinero, marlon brando and yes jack nicholson they where groundbreaking for there time while ledger is good he is hardly groundbreaking there are several actors just as good or better this is why jack playing joker will be more loved then anything ledger does its not even really about the performance its the name.

3. elgaz

elgaz Registered

He was 52 ... but I agree with your sentiment. :)

No-one has seen Ledger's full performance yet, so how can they possibly say Jack was better? Its common f**king sense :whatever:

Gaz

4. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

people dismiss Jack as an actor, and yes, as of late, he's been playing himself, but there's nobody like him in Hollywood.

His best work are from the 70s and early 80s, bottom line.

5. Hole Shot

Hole Shot Better Than Smurfberries

I agree. Reading the interview versus actually seeing/hearing him likely puts this in an entirely different context. If you take this at face value, it sounds like Jack doesn't even know the Nolan franchise exists.

6. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Jack is funny like that. People are taking his comments too seriously. To quote a website.."Why so serious"?

7. Damiean Dark

Damiean Dark Registered

^like i said its not even about the performance when you get right down to it Jacks name alone is bigger then Ledgers at this current time.

8. Jkr

Jkr Guest

Ledger's done quite a bit. Spend some time in hollywood and you'd find out. But quit flaming people. They have every right to their opinion. I may not live in this world, but I do live in this era. And for that matter, right by hollywood, so I speak for a few in saying Ledger is a pretty good kid from what I hear. Give him a break and be openminded to his work. If you knew ledger, you'd retract a few statements there as you're wrong on them. But anyone who knows wikipedia knows that.

9. elgaz

elgaz Registered

How does Jack's ass taste?

Seriously, give it a rest. WHEN the film comes out and you have watched it and earned the right to constructively criticise it, feel free to spew all the vitriolic anti-Ledger crap you want. But in the meantime, stop pretending you're a fortune teller and trying to convince everyone here that Ledger will be rubbish. You simply don't know. Jack's a good actor, but he's just one of many good actors who have come and gone and guess what? Many more ones will come and go too.

Gaz

10. Jkr

Jkr Guest

Geez 52?! Man Ledger really does have the upper hand.

11. Chucktallica101

Chucktallica101 KILL EVERYTHING!

Sweet Jesus...I fell out of my chair laughing...

12. SuBe

SuBe Voluntaryist

This is really interesting. The Man Love that he has for Burton. If this is true, it really makes him seem jealous or petty. I liked the Burton Movies, but I always thought the he was too old back then, if the movie was made back in the early 80s or late 70s he would have looked more the part. Jack is obviously not keeping up with the New Franchise therefore shouldnt complain. Ledger is going to be great in the part, JN should embrace that fact that he is partially responible for the fans to be so excited for TDK. His role in B89 is what almost everyone is going to be comparing Ledger to. I for one though always like Hammil better.

13. JStorm

JStorm Arkham

Let me be the way I'm not in threads, this is pointless, pointless. [Laughs]

14. Jkr

Jkr Guest

True. Hamill brought the animated Joker to life in full force. If only he looked the part he'd be the best.

15. CaptainClown

CaptainClown Papa SPANK!!!

everyone I said it before, I will say it again.. JACK NICHOLSON IS GOOGLEME

16. Damiean Dark

Damiean Dark Registered

This is only in responce to people on the earlier pages putting down jack and making him out to be an idiot i have never blasted ledger read my posts i agreed he will be good but people blasting jack to make themselves feel better about ledgers UPCOMING performance is just as bad and on jack as an actor read my post he is up there with the all time greats actors like him just dont come around anymore.

17. JStorm

JStorm Arkham

It.All.Makes.Sense.

18. Knightsaber Priss

Knightsaber Priss Lone Wolf

Trust me guys, all you need to do if you want to see TDK with your girlfriend, and she's clueless about comics, tell her Heath Ledger is in the movie but don't let her know who he's playing. :)

I can tell you all that Ledger's Joker will be really popular with Goth girls.

19. Bat-Mite

Bat-Mite Registered

Yeah, I know I don't matter. Now if only you'd realize the same about yourself. :cwink: And as for the "public" knowing that he's great, that's BS. Some people love him, some hate him, some couldn't care less. It's not like everyone out there blindly loves Nicholson.
    And like I said earlier, he's YOUNG. He hasn't even had a chance to put that many movies out there yet, and like I also said, I'm sure he already has more hit movies out there than Jack had at the same age.
    All of those actors you mentioned are/were leagues above Jack even when Jack's at his best. And I guess you have some kind of magic mirror to see the future, since you're so certain that none of our younger actors will be so legendary. I don't tend to make pompous assumptions like that myself.
    Ledger isn't groundbreaking? He's a household name now because of his performance in Brokeback Mountain. And believe me, his performance had a LOT to do with that movie being the instant classic that it is (not to take away from what Jake Gyllenhaal and other great actors brought to that movie). But I guess you were living under a rock while that movie (and Heath's performance) were receiving virtually unanimous praise.

20. Anita18

Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Of course he has a right to be furious (or joking or whatever) - they're his feelings and nobody can tell him how he should feel at any given point in time.

He's just expressing his opinions. He can't touch Nolan's project and Nolan isn't belittling his contribution to the series, so he is free to sit there and opinionate all he wants. :woot:

Eh on the "Tim Burton spirit" though. Batman the character was not Burton's creation, so therefore "the Burton spirit" is a moot point.

21. CaptainClown

CaptainClown Papa SPANK!!!

who cares, why do we needs nicholsons blessing. Nicholson is a person and he has an opinion. Opinions are like ass holess, everyones got one.

22. Jkr

Jkr Guest

You did blast Ledger. Obviously people wouldn't be so ticked at you if you hadn't been so closeminded about it all. Jack, with all the praise you've given him, has really made Jack seem more...I don't know, drained of superiority. But yes you did insult Ledger's acting status.

23. elgaz

elgaz Registered

I did read your posts, perhaps you should re-word them ...... the overriding sentiment of all your posts is basically .. Nicholson = awesome, Ledger = nothing. Nicholson's a Hollywood legend in his 70s and Ledger is a relatively new actor who has been steadily making a name for himself as a decent actor, so why not give him a chance?

I also think you'll find that no-one is slating Nicholson as an actor. Everyone agrees he did a great job as Joker in B89 but most people are unimpressed with his apparent attitude in real-life regarding TDK. Acting legend are not, he sounds like a whiney *****.

Gaz

24. elgaz

elgaz Registered

p.s. is punctuation like Kryptonite to you or something?

25. Damiean Dark

Damiean Dark Registered

Ledgerr isn't groundbreaking? He's a household name now because of his performance in Brokeback Mountain. And believe me, his performance had a LOT to do with that movie being the instant classic that it is (not to take away from what Jake Gyllenhaal and other great actors brought to that movie). But I guess you were living under a rock while that movie (and Heath's performance) were receiving virtually unanimous praise.

Sorry brokeback has some fine acting in it but its success is purely down to the fact it is about two gay cowboys esecially in a country like america. putting cowboys the optimum of american masculinity and gay a lifestyle still hated by most is like putting a match to gasoline.