No evil shall escape my sight...The Official John Stewart Thread

15940360_1212972462085470_6073394151851233588_n.jpg

But he's in Black Panther! Outrage! :p

They're going with Hal again. Clearly WB doesn't feel the same way as you or else they would've retired Hal for the movies.
It's a new year & hopefully you won't get so heated about my opinions on Hal anymore. I won't be involved in any more heated arguments about Hal, especially not in a thread about John. Keep in mind that WB also felt like GL 2011 was suitable for release and good enough to start a franchise. I'll put more stock into what they feel when they start getting consistently good results with GL and the rest of the DCEU. Putting John in this shows that they've learned from at least one mistake from last time. Hopefully they don't **** this up and can actually prove me wrong for a change. I've learned not to get my hopes up for WB/DC tho.

I'm glad we're getting John and Hal, that's clearly the best route. You can't get rid of Hal, he's simply too important. This is demonstrated by the damage that was done to the GL mythology in the DCAU where Hal doesn't exist.
People loved it & that's what matters in the end, arguably more-so than the comics(or anything else) where Hal does exist. Although John did get a lot of focus on the show, at the end of the day, it was a Justice League show and never meant to be a GL show. Was also much more popular than GL 2011, where Hal existed & John didn't.

Can't wait to see Hal and John on the big screen. Loving the idea of a Lethal Weapon dynamic. This is going to be something special!

I think it works best if you have John as the straight man in the dynamic, with Hal providing most of the comic relief
I'd rather have seen John & Guy. I'll see this in theaters if John gets more shine or at least equal shine as Hal. I hope they can find a way to balance things out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make Hal look cool at the expense of all other GLs again like they tried & failed to do in 2011. The article does make it seem like John will get more of the focus, but this is WB/DC so I'll just wait & see.

Hope John is also an architect. USMC sniper to architect is super specific and in itself says a lot about John as a person.
Ditto

Agreed, it would be enjoyable to display a kind of emotional difference. While JL/JLU John was a good straightman and serious character bouncing off against Wally and Shayera, it would probably be good to have elements of early Dennis O'Neil John and Mosiac era John either, to really get an interesting John Stewart personality imo.
Agreed

Last edited:
The article does make it seem like John will get more of the focus, but this is WB/DC so I'll just wait & see.

It says the focus would be on both characters with John yet to become a Lantern. It seems like John would be the rookie and Hal the more experienced one, it doesn't state one would get more focus than the other, which wouldn't really be a good decision imo. A team-up movie with two protagonists should depict both characters as equally important, not put more emphasis on one of them and treat the other one like his assistant. Besides, it's Geoff Johns, it says he co-plotted the story and he is overseeing the project, he would hardly let Hal play second fiddle to Stewart. lol

I sort of want a younger Stewart though

That actually intrigues me most. Who will be the older, wiser veteran and who will be the young hothead? Hal would work as a young hothead but obviously in comics lore he came before Stewart did

That actually intrigues me most. Who will be the older, wiser veteran and who will be the young hothead? Hal would work as a young hothead but obviously in comics lore he came before Stewart did

Neither Hal or John were ever hotheads per say. They're both stubborn, which seems to be a personality requisite for a Green Lantern, but not reckless like Guy. Their personalities, at least in the modern incarnations, are somewhat similar.

I don't think John would need to be immature to pull off some drama. I hope WB actually takes inspiration from his two comics origins and creates a scenario where John gets his ring not because another Lantern dies, but because the GotU see something special in him. The Guardians could insist that there has been a paradigm change in galactic peacekeeping, and they want each Lantern to have a partner for his or her sector. Hal (the "greatest of them all" as he's often introduced in the comics) is used to working alone and bristles at the idea that he needs a partner. Something like that would make for a nice starting point.

I certainly hope WB doesn't try to give John a completely new story or sweep his pre-Lantern life under the rug like the JL cartoon did. If WB doesn't want to dive into all of the social complexities of John's GL/GA '87 origin, they should just rely on Secret Origins #9, and not try the silly Hollywood gimmicks that often backfire with CBMs.

Hopefully there's no older veteran/younger rookie dynamic. Hal doesn't need to be 15+ years older than John. He can probably be somewhat reminiscent of the version from the Green Lantern cartoon where he was experienced and had tenure as a GL, and could probably pass off as a quasi-mentor figure type like he kind of was to Aya on the show, but he sure as hell wasn't washed up, he was still in his prime. Mid 30s Hal and late 20s/early 30s John would be perfect imo.

Last edited:
Hal being the more hotheaded and cocky one was a more modern interpretation of the character which was taken to its extreme in the New 52 (particularly how he was characterized in Justice League).

Ironically when you read the John's origin it's the exact opposite. John is the one who is more brash and questioning of authority, while Hal is the one with the stick up his butt who keeps complaining about John being impulsive and not following orders. Nowadays their characterizations have basically been swapped.

Back in those days whenever they buddied up Hal with someone, they often made him uncharacteristically conservative. For instance they did it during the Green Lantern/Green Arrow series to create the opposing dynamic with a bleeding heart liberal like Oliver, which chronologically never made sense because while Hal was loyal to the Guardians and the GLC, he was never above bending their rules and regulations, he always felt authority should be and often needed to be questioned. Yeah, he certainly wasn't the annoying 20 something man-child the New 52 portrayed him as, but he was never this conservative republican out of touch with normal folks that the GL/GA run portrayed him as.

With John, he was created in the early 70s so of course they had to initially give him the "angry black man" stereotype that the "stuck up white man" stereotype had to complain about. Both characters' portrayals were unflattering in that origin story. The Deadline's description mentions the marine origin, so we would hopefully get the methodical thinker everyman John and the brash brazenly defiant/yet not frustratingly irritating Hal.

Last edited:
I think it'd be kind of cool if Hal was a veteran Green Lantern but John was an actual military veteran, and maybe even older than Hal. Then you've got two "veterans" fighting for control and trying to mentor each other.

The problem is many writers user "marine" as a crutch for not being particularly interesting. His characterization should be deeper than stern military dude.

It says the focus would be on both characters with John yet to become a Lantern. It seems like John would be the rookie and Hal the more experienced one, it doesn't state one would get more focus than the other, which wouldn't really be a good decision imo. A team-up movie with two protagonists should depict both characters as equally important, not put more emphasis on one of them and treat the other one like his assistant. Besides, it's Geoff Johns, it says he co-plotted the story and he is overseeing the project, he would hardly let Hal play second fiddle to Stewart. lol
lmfao. That, we agree on 1000%. I was talking about the Deadline article. It mentioned it very much focusing on John Stewart's relationship with Hal and the GLC. I doubt the hell out of that tho. With Geoff there, I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into another Hal wankfest. I'll hope for the best, but it's hard not to expect the worst

Last edited:
I don't think it will emphasize more on either character tbh. It's the first time a superhero movie features both a white and a black protagonist. If they put more of the emphasis on one and have the other one ride his coat tails, they send the wrong message. At least one would hope they know better.

Last edited:
I mean they're thinking about Tom Cruise as Hal. That sort of suggests that Hal is going to be the main focus. Hal is the main character of the entire series after all...

But I am probably more down for Hal and John to share the spotlight evenly. I'm loving the idea of their dynamic being the main focus of the movie. I'm guessing they have to get over their differences and discover the corruption within the corps (Sinestro)

I thnk they will cast someone who can docomedy too and proved it in past roles. Anyway Mustafa Shakir really looks like john Stewart

I suspect that Hal will be the comic relief and John will be the straight man

I mean they're thinking about Tom Cruise as Hal.

You don't actually believe that BS? When the movie comes out, Cruise would be, what, almost 60? I do expect Hal to be somewhat older than John, but they are not going Hank Pym with Hal Jordan.

Last edited:
Cruise might be old (though he looks at MIMIMUM 10 years younger than his actual age) but I'd take him over so many actors that Hollywood keeps trying to make "happen" any day (looking at you, Liam Hemsworst).

Cruise is the choice that interests me most of the actors mentioned in the shortlist. He would be older, but i'm personally not that dogmatic about Hal's age for the film if its a GL corp film as opposed to a solo origin film like the 2011.

That's not to say he's the only one who could do it , but the other actors; Hammer, Gyllenhaal, Reynolds, Mchale, Marsden, and Cooper really don't excite me for the lead .

I wouldn't mind if Stewart was in his 40s.

Cruise is the choice that interests me most of the actors mentioned in the shortlist. He would be older, but i'm personally not that dogmatic about Hal's age for the film if its a GL corp film as opposed to a solo origin film like the 2011.

That's not to say he's the only one who could do it , but the other actors; Hammer, Gyllenhaal, Reynolds, Mchale, Marsden, and Cooper really don't excite me for the lead .

Hmm.. I probably would be cool with Tom Cruise if the Hal guy is older. I think this going to be a particularly hard movie to pull off. Cruise and a young up and comer may not be bad. But comic fans may hate that.
One thing I take from what has been said is they'll do whatever comic fans want.
The hate and backlash is like nothing I've ever seen towards a movie franchise. Even worse than the Star Wars prequels, maybe.
I'm not likely to be getting something I like anyways so I wonder if they should just read polls for everything they can and just do exactly that . From casting, to story. Everything. I probably wouldn't see them but maybe that would bring WB money as well as good reviews.

Hmm.. I probably would be cool with Tom Cruise if the Hal guy is older. I think this going to be a particularly hard movie to pull off.

With almost 58 years worth of publication history and animated appearances that go back to the 60s, it shouldn't be hard to adapt at all.

a good look but I still don't reall

I'm sure Hammer is good but I don't think most audiences are familiar with him and could benefit from a more well known actor. After seeing Gyllenhal in Southpaw, Prisoners, and Nightcrawler, I'd probably cast that dude in almost anything. I think he's darn good.
I'm hoping no McHale( I think he's best playing straight comedy) and I'm not a big fan of Bradley Cooper.
Mardsden I think is interesting but I think I'd still look for more star power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"