The Dark Knight Nolan's Bat movies lack something.

Spider-Bat

BATMAN
Reaction score
There's a feeling missing from Nolan's movies. They don't quite capture the spirit of BATMAN.

The realism doesn't help, nor does it belong. It's a comic book after all. Even though BATMAN doesn't have Super Powers, he still is a Super Hero, and some of his villians do have certain abilities. They have a comic book/sci-fi edge, such as Bane, Mr. Freeze, and Poison Ivy to name a few.

He's a bit like Indiana Jones, no powers but he sometimes encounters things that are strange and unusual, supervillian, and the like.

I hate these directors that can't handle making a comic book movie. They have no imagination and have to inject realism where it doesn't belong. As if they're embarrassed to just bring the superheroto life without messing with it.

You can have superpower elements, comic book stuff in the movie and it won't be campy. Only if you make it campy will it be that way.

There are so many movies that have been made the right way with comics and all and I'm tired of thinking why couldn't they do this or that for Batman and even other heroes. :brucebat:

There's a feeling missing from Nolan's movies. They don't quite capture the spirit of BATMAN.

The realism doesn't help, nor does it belong. It's a comic book after all. Even though BATMAN doesn't have Super Powers, he still is a Super Hero, and some of his villians do have certain abilities. They have a comic book/sci-fi edge, such as Bane, Mr. Freeze, and Poison Ivy to name a few.

He's a bit like Indiana Jones, no powers but he sometimes encounters things that are strange and unusual, supervillian, and the like.

I hate these directors that can't handle making a comic book movie. They have no imagination and have to inject realism where it doesn't belong. As if they're embarrassed to just bring the superheroto life without messing with it.

You can have superpower elements, comic book stuff in the movie and it won't be campy. Only if you make it campy will it be that way.

There are so many movies that have been made the right way with comics and all and I'm tired of thinking why couldn't they do this or that for Batman and even other heroes. :brucebat:

Give us some examples of the elements of the film that you disapprove and what you would do to improve it?

You sound as if you are a pre-Miller Batman/Burton Batman fan?? Your argument doesn't really prove a valid point other than you think that Nolan's ONE Batman film doesn't hold up to your standards as well as other comic movies.

Like you said, the Batman mythos/universe doesn't have villians with Super Powers. They are all or were Human beings at one point who was traumatized with an accident or underwent a procedure and the bi-product was a heinous villian derived from Gotham, no other planet. Nolan didn't abandon that. The villians in Begins had roots to their comic counterparts. Of course, there wasn't a Lazurus Pit for Ra's to save himself, or Crane wasn't a disgruntled professor from the University conducting "fear" experiments clothed in straw.

Begins did a great job of explaining alot of the holes that us fans had to fill in after reading the comics. At least to me, his film had the same feel to it as Batman:Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, etc. I don't think that it had the grit as the comics, but the overall feeling of the film to me was similar to the Miller and post-Miller comics.

The "realism" that you speak of is Nolan thoroughly explaining how things came to be. Like the Batsuit, the Batmobile (Tumbler), Batcave, the Grappling Gun, etc. In the comic book Bruce/Batman just had this stuff without us knowing a background on them or how he got them.

How realistic is it to unleash the "fear toxin" idea on the city and the way Ra's just took over a swat van, uniforms, etc. with no fight at all?? Also, Why does the microwave emitter only evaporate water in pipes or the underground? Why didn't it evaporate the water in human bodies too? A serial killer named Zsaz that keeps tally mark scars on his body to account for all of his victims? A doctor at an Asylum that conducts "Fear" tests on his victims wearing a burlap mask with a toxin that causes permanent damage unless immediately treated?

The film had ALOT of comic element throughout it, you just have to look a little harder for them and they weren't as obvious as other comic adapted films.

I'm glad that Nolan put a new twist on everything. He didn't totally abandon everything about the comic, he just refined a few things and wanted the film to have more definition and explanation.

I feel that elements of Nolans Batman did have nods to the comic origins just like Burton in some respects.

Nolan is a very character driven director so you can see why his approach was to get inside the mind set of why a grown man would dress as a bat and fight crime.

If you watch the extras on the Batman Begins you really get an understanding of what techniques Nolan used and what he was trying to be achieved, especially the fights.

I think judging his whole franchise based on one fillm is jumping the gun slightly, I saw Batman Begins as a set up for the sequels. When I saw how the action in the prologue and the trailer was produced it does seem to be alot more compitent in terms of an action film, and I believe it will please the core fans.

You have to admit though that Batman Begins was far better than Batman and Robin

Nolan is the perfect director for Batman, I looked at it in a whole different way after seeing Batman Begins, the whole movie itself is dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"