The Dark Knight The lack of realism

Dotten - Your opening paragraph on your return here is wonderful, I've been commenting a few times today since I initially read the opener to this thread on how people tend to react...before they actually read anything. Anyway, enough of the backslapping....

I do completely understand what you're saying, but one thing:

"Most of TDK is fiction, it's far fetched."

If I'm being pedantic, which I will for a moment, you contradict yourself here in some form and if I continue to be pedantic...ALL of TDK is fiction any maybe we should start there instead.

Unfortunately you're trying to tackle a dicussion and arguement within a fanboy/girl based forum. One with many very switched on people and, obviously, many who will defend it with their life. It's very difficult to have a rational discussion when we're within Superheroes and general fictional worlds. I'm not saying I can't or don't want to, I just can see where a lot of replies are falling short.

I think from BB this illusion of realism was more possible because we were single-character based, it was all about - quite literally - his beginning and his could allude to any film or movie. It could be about how a troubled young man changed his life around and became a cop or whatever.

But we're in Batman terrority, the reason TDK sticks to it's new illusion of reality is because it plays even more into the graphic world and actually still remains on the boundaries of possiblity. Okay, there are obvious aspects that work beyond possiblity, that push these limits, but TDK does it smoothly, there's backing up of reasons, there's hardly any quick conclusions to situations that we see time and time again in current films, regardless of fictionality worlds or 'real-life' situations.

Let me know what you think...

Unfortunately you're trying to tackle a dicussion and arguement within a fanboy/girl based forum. One with many very switched on people and, obviously, many who will defend it with their life. It's very difficult to have a rational discussion when we're within Superheroes and general fictional worlds. I'm not saying I can't or don't want to, I just can see where a lot of replies are falling short.

My views came about long before I even saw a Nolan film, so fanaticism is just a convenient categorization, and not tackling the real issue. That issue is that people are more open minded about what they dont know than others. It has nothing to do with some dumb movie or any piece of entertainment. I was raised this way in the REAL world, the same one Dotten here professes to be a self proclaimed expert of.

I understand what hes saying, but hes not understanding what Im saying. For the tenth time, no ones calling it real. But there IS an issue with proclaiming something can NEVER ever happen. I take issue with that statement all the time in LIFE. It isnt a tangible something you can calculate precisely like that oh so fake show "numbers", but im sure the fanboys of that series would disagree lol ;)

EDIT: heres a story on 60 minutes about the mission to put an astronaut on Mars. Thats 700 MILLION miles away, and sounds utterly ridiculous. Yet these very well educated guys are now saying "what CANT we do?", and say its a possibility that humans may colonize the planet one day.

I await Dotten to tell them to wake up from their fantasy world and deem them nerds lol

Closed mindedness is a glass ceiling. Never say never.

My views came about long before I even saw a Nolan film, so fanaticism is just a convenient categorization, and not tackling the real issue. That issue is that people are more open minded about what they dont know than others. It has nothing to do with some dumb movie or any piece of entertainment. I was raised this way in the REAL world, the same one Dotten here professes to be a self proclaimed expert of.

I understand what hes saying, but hes not understanding what Im saying. For the tenth time, no ones calling it real. But there IS an issue with proclaiming something can NEVER ever happen. I take issue with that statement all the time in LIFE. It isnt a tangible something you can calculate precisely like that oh so fake show "numbers", but im sure the fanboys of that series would disagree lol ;)

EDIT: heres a story on 60 minutes about the mission to put an astronaut on Mars. Thats 700 MILLION miles away, and sounds utterly ridiculous. Yet these very well educated guys are now saying "what CANT we do?", and say its a possibility that humans may colonize the planet one day.

I await Dotten to tell them to wake up from their fantasy world and deem them nerds lol

Closed mindedness is a glass ceiling. Never say never.

To be fair bud, also very good points. I wasn't generalising towards you directly to firstly clear that up, but I don't think you're refering to that to what I said anyway :p

-----

It's also very true to point out that open and closed mindedness is a very important issue here, if I'm honest - even just for debates sake - I don't think you can fairly really question the reality in a film that's so good in so many aspects.

I feel it's pulling it apart where to doesn't need to be pulled.

I'm happy for a discussion, but in some ways it reminds me of my lectures in certain books that have now destroyed my love for certain books because I can't look at them without analysis, even if it's total and utter psychological/what if scenario bullocks.

I don't want to do that to TDK because it's all about entertainment, that's what this should really be about and I was/am/are entertained by the movie, beyond my wildest realistic movie dreams...

:cwink:

Thank you dear sir. I agree with you. Some people just want to watch the thread burn :woot:. You just have to put one the other person's shoes. That's it!.

Sir, as you can see from my responses just up from yours, on first look I was ready to just react...but I gave it a moment, read a few posts and replied and was much happier with looking into it further and having a better discussion than just someone, say, pounding it down to the ground before they've had an intelligent reply.

Your replies are spot on as well, nice to see that some have given it a moment to consider all the points properly and respond!

:)

It's no so much that it's real, but rather Nolan creates such a coherent universe, the far fetched feels real.

Dotten hasnt debunked anything. Analyzing his responses, he simply attacks the "silly" fans who believe the movie to be "REAL" when in reality most of us (if not all) already know this. He talks down to people as if they're somehow deluded, when if he reads the replies given to him, hed realize we agree with him more than he thinks. In particular, my initial long posts to him pinpoint exactly where the base of the illusion is, and it isn't where he think it is, its in the first movie. I specifically explained this ILLUSION/FICTION and admitted it was such, and he replies as if im delluded that its real. Ridiculous.

The point of contention is that many choose not to be as closed minded as him. Its immensely arrogant and closed minded to say something will NEVER happen. Thats the point many are making.

He, for all purposes, has changed nothing. Ive heard it all before. Just someone wanting to score "normal" points for pointing out the obvious and then swearing on a stack of bibles that hes roamed the cosmos and is 100% sure of whats possible across eternity. :whatever:

I'll give you that I used erroneously the word "debunk", should used replied or some other word, I meant to inspire good... ehem... I meant to say that the argument in which this debate started has grown nonstop, with each poster bringing more heat to it. And I find that dotten it's not as closeminded as it seems, he's only stubborn when it comes to "The Joker could happen" he replies "It can't, it hasn't happened, so it can't happen." But other than that, all his arguments have good points, it's true there's a lot of people who defend that the movie "izz teh reel liphe!!" and don't take time to consider other points of view. And if you've heard it all before, why do you keep fueling this discussion?

i think Nolan's plan is simple... i think he simply tries to create enough believability so that when we are all in the theater... watching his film.. we just watch and absorb.. and i think he's really good at it..

i mean when i'm watching Batman jump off of a building in Hong Kong, glide around those buildings in the night... then at the last minute collapse that cape of his and smash through that window.. i'm thinking... BADASS!...

now, after watching the movie.. when i think about it? sure there is a part of my brain that tells me.. "i don't think that is possible... a man probably can't build that cape and do that... that technology doesn't exist"... or perhaps it does and i don't know it...

my point is.. while watching the film... Nolan made me believe it was possible... while watching the movie, it felt real...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"