The Dark Knight The lack of realism

Dotten

Civilian
Reaction score
I notice a lot of people praise the realism in this movie. Which baffles me. In Batman Begins Nolan had the illusion of realism (which was cleverly disguised unrealism).

In this movie he totally took me by surprise cause there was no realism what-so-ever and he did not even try to give us that illusion.

Bruce Wayne morals and ethics - unrealistic. No man alive can relate to that, thats what makes him a superhero. Cause he takes "overhuman" choices.

Batman in action - totally unrealistic. Like watching Spider-Man. What he does is so far out there, it really surprised me.

Q, err, I mean Fox - The character is so fictionall and what he comes up with is in the James Bond universe.

Two-Face - No one can live like that. So over the top if one wants realism (or the illusion of it)

Joker - Wicked evil, most unrealistic of all.

The story - It's like complicatet domino. A bit to well directed. It's totally madness (mostly due to the character of joker).

Now, people might think I'm bashing the movie. I am not. I loved it, best thriller I've seen and alongside Superman the beste superheromovie ever made. I loved how Nolan went away from the illusion of realism and gave us a kick-ass movie.

But I'm a bit startled that so many of the "realism"-lovers like this movie. And many of them seem to live in denial and claim that this is so realistic. Come on!

So, did the Nolan take for this one (he also dropped the jumping back and forth in timeline) with less realism suit you? I hope this opens the eyes for many, movies need magic and not realism. This is a different universe then our and Nolan used that to give us a unrealistic film that totally kicked ass. But am I alone with this take on the movie? I feel so.

I notice a lot of people praise the realism in this movie. Which baffles me. In Batman Begins Nolan had the illusion of realism (which was cleverly disguised unrealism).

In this movie he totally took me by surprise cause there was no realism what-so-ever and he did not even try to give us that illusion.

Bruce Wayne morals and ethics - unrealistic. No man alive can relate to that, thats what makes him a superhero. Cause he takes "overhuman" choices.

Batman in action - totally unrealistic. Like watching Spider-Man. What he does is so far out there, it really surprised me.

Q, err, I mean Fox - The character is so fictionall and what he comes up with is in the James Bond universe.

Two-Face - No one can live like that. So over the top if one wants realism (or the illusion of it)

The story - It's like complicatet domino. A bit to well directed. It's totally madness (mostly due to the character of joker).

Now, people might think I'm bashing the movie. I am not. I loved it, best thriller I've seen and alongside Superman the beste superheromovie ever made. I loved how Nolan went away from the illusion of realism and gave us a kick-ass movie.

But I'm a bit startled that so many of the "realism"-lovers like this movie. And many of them seem to live in denial and claim that this is so realistic. Come on!

So, did the Nolan take for this one (he also dropped the jumping back and forth in timeline) with less realism suit you? I hope this opens the eyes for many, movies need magic and not realism. This is a different universe then our and Nolan used that to give us a unrealistic film that totally kicked ass. But am I alone with this take on the movie? I feel so.
So basically, it is not realistic because you wouldn't react the same as any of the characters?

Joker I completely agree with you lol (user above).

Oh really? Burn victims do it all the time.
There are burn victims that get it worse then Two-Face and manage to live.

Lol yesterday my Mom had the TV on, MSNBC, some guy compared the U.S to Gotham. xD

Sorry I just had to say that.

There many are burn victims who defy the odds. Just because something happens that is unlikely, doesn't mean it is impossible.

your overexaggeration is unreal.

Not really because **** loads of CGI was used with Spiderman...
so Batman fighting is at least a tad more realistic.. :whatever:

the fighting in this movie was a hell of alot better than BB

So, a black guy making devices is unrealistic? What are you, racist?

yea are you prejudice against clowns and people with horrible facial disfigurements as well?

People seem to think "grounded in reality" or "realism" is the same as "realistic."

All people mean when they say "grounded in reality" or the like is that they are going to create a world that seems real, that these characters and events could exist. The Lord of the Rings films were grounded in reality. Jackson created a world that worked while being completely fanstastic.

All drama requires a certain suspension of disbelief, realism just goes to minimize that while still making the events seem powerful and meaningful.

If they wanted to make Batman truly and completely realistic, then there would be no movie! Unless you like watching the hero get killed or watch cops and lawyers fill out paper work. Wheeeee! What a roller coaster!

if nolan did a flash back then where would you put it? When Bruce is thinking about rachel? Cus showing two different actresses would kinda kill the movie and re doing the katie scenes with maggie would be weird

I give up. I gave this movie a 10 out of 10, but even that the fanboys come swirling to. This movie is not realistic. Did people see what Batman did in this movie? Jesus christ, come back to the real world.

And when it comes to Two-Face, no one can live like that. Refusing surgery and skin-transplant. Go see a doctor.

This film was unrealistic and that was awesome. But keep living in la-la land. I had hoped for a constructive discussion, but it's probably a tad early. People are not ready for it yet. So I'm probably alone in my take and why this movie was fantastic. I care not, I'm not a sheep.

*running away like Batman in the end of TDK, chased by the rabid dogs*

Peace out :)

If you're an incredibly driven and focused person, you could make those choices, but not easily (as it's shown).

Sure, some things might seem a bit of a stretch, but for the most part it's real, considering all of the gadgets he has to use.

Actually, if you're referring to the cell phone sonar thing, my roommate's brother has a top secret clearance in the military, and is working on lots of cool stuff, most of which he obviously can't talk about. He was able to allude to the fact that the sonar concept used in the film is quite possible, although in devices a bit larger than cell phones.

See responses above about burn victims.

Yes, b/c we all know murderous psycopaths don't exist :whatever:

Exactly, the plot reflects the story, and I (and many others) didn't find it too complicated at all.

See? It's not too unrealistic

I guess I missed where anyone said TDK was 100% realistic. Just because it's more grounded in reality than previous Batman films (other than Batman Begins) doesn't mean it adheres rigidly to realism. But it sounds like you just wanted to give us all a condescending lecture to make yourself sound important.

Schlosser85: I'm trying to have a discussion. God forbid, I have a different take on this movie.

Batman Begins was much more the illusion of realism. This was not and that's what I loved. I went "What the hell, pure awesomeness!" when Batman did the most amazing things, totally unrealistic and far from grounded in any realism (on the planet I live on anyhow).

What I want to sound like is not the topic. I may be the biggest A-hole out there. You sir, shoud focus on the message, not the messenger.

I give up. I gave this movie a 10 out of 10, but even that the fanboys come swirling to. This movie is not realistic. Did people see what Batman did in this movie? Jesus christ, come back to the real world.

And when it comes to Two-Face, no one can live like that. Refusing surgery and skin-transplant. Go see a doctor.

This film was unrealistic and that was awesome. But keep living in la-la land. I had hoped for a constructive discussion, but it's probably a tad early. People are not ready for it yet. So I'm probably alone in my take and why this movie was fantastic. I care not, I'm not a sheep.

All i read was that you thought this movie was UNrealistic...i didnt even bother to read the rest...now im not a BIG fan boy but i know the diffrence between realistic and UNrealistic...i mean this movie in conparision to other comic book movies is the most realistic of them all...thats first, second...your telling me you gave it a 10 out of 10 and your whining and complaining so much about unrealism...look man you may want to have a point here but you really dont...when you do please stop posting worthless threads :cwink:

This thread´s arguments are so vague and poorly constructed they don´t even deserve an answer. Typical troll stuff, and not even a competent troll at that.

Come on Guy! No matter how grounded in reality this movie is its still a comic book movie.

Excuse me for having a difference of opinion. Freedom of speach is a hard thing for those who not tolerate different opinion.

Fact is, Mythbusters could make a whole season dedicated to The Dark Knigh. I find it more realistic that a man comes falling down from the sky from another planet with weird clothing-codex and with super-strength, then the thought of someone managing the things Bruce Wayne does physically and mentally. Even Ghandi had his flaws.

And that's what I love with Batman in this film. That's what makes him a superhero.

If fans don't tolerate a different take on a movie one loves, then too bad. The mind is like a parachute. It functions best when it is open. I see a lot of people falling to the ground in this thread not even trying to have an opened mind. Just bashing out idiotic comments like "racist?" and so on (this is not targeted at all of you, some have good takes i like).

Why so bloody serious? It's a discussion.

duty_calls.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"