NSA creates national database of phonecalls...major phone companies help

sinewave said:
that's how it's turned out but not how it was supposed to be when our country was founded. we let that happen. eventually the american citizens need to collectively put their foot down and stop it.

That's because our founding fathers were unrealistic.

The concept was doomed.

Lord Siva said:
Any human living in the governed society is a slave.

To work towards freedom from the governed society requires that we emancipate our own minds first.

Then instead of being a slave of a governed society, we will be the ones who governs the society.

Lord Siva said:

The concept was doomed.

possibly, but i prefer to think of them as well-intentioned idealists. the human race is greedy and easy to persuede. it's too bad that people like our current administration fall under the former and have realized the latter and are taking advantage of it.

The NSA is gangsta son.

sam.jpg

Lord Siva said:

The concept was doomed.

Thats not true. The concept was a success. The American dream was and is not a promise, but an opportunity. Here are a few who will agree with me on this.

http://biz.yahoo.com/special/400_05.html

Those who took advantage of it are those 20% or less of the population that help determine public policy.

The other 80% have been seduced away from their economic, social, and educational potential, but hey at least they have helped make American Idol The #1 show on TV.

Here is a representation of some of the 80%

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2005/02/07/1107783180_5625.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...q=new+orleans+katrina+poor&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=

Yet more:

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=177702&src=0

Fuente: © Democratic National Committee (DNC) ·
http://www.democrats.org/
DNC: Spies Like Us: New Revelations About Bush's Secret Domestic NSA Programs

/noticias.info/ According to reports in USA Today, the National Security Agency has assembled the largest database "ever assembled in the world" to secretly collect the phone records of "tens of millions of Americans," "across town or across the country - to family members, co-workers, business contacts, and others." The program "reaches into homes and businesses across the nation by amassing information about the calls of ordinary Americans - most of whom aren't suspected of any crime." [USA Today, 5/11/06]

It is now clear that the NSA's domestic spying, intelligence gathering and data mining operations are "far more expansive than what the White House has acknowledged." This news follows the revelations by the White House that it authorized wiretapping of Americans' international calls. The Bush Administration justified the previously disclosed eavesdropping by arguing that "one end of the communication" was "outside the United States," and that "domestic call records. . . were believed to be private." [USA Today, 5/11/06]

"This is another example of the Bush Administration misleading the American people," said Democratic National Committee Press Secretary Stacie Paxton. "We were told that the NSA was only focused on international calls, and that is clearly not the case. The American people deserve to know why the Bush White House is monitoring the calls of tens of millions of Americans. Democrats understand that we can be tough on our enemies and be honest with ordinary American people."

New document from DNC Research Below:

DOMESTIC SPYING PROGRAM COLLECTS INFORMATION ON LAW-ABIDING AMERICANS

USA Today: NSA "Reaches into Homes And Businesses Across The Nation" to Get Information about Phone Calls of Law Abiding Americans. According to an article in USA Today, "The NSA program reaches into homes and businesses across the nation by amassing information about the calls of ordinary Americans "most of whom aren't suspected of any crime." [USA Today, 5/11/06]

Source: Largest Database "Ever Assembled in The World", Goal "to Create A Database of Every Call Ever Made" within U.S. Border. "It is the largest database ever assembled in the world," said an unnamed source. The agency's goal was "to create a database of every call ever made" within the nation's borders. [USA Today, 5/11/06]

Government Had Detailed Records of Calls of Tens of Millions of Americans. According to USA Today, using data provided by AT&T, Verizon and BellSouth, the National Security Agency had detailed records of calls made by tens of millions of Americans- "across town or across the country- to family members, co-workers, business contacts and others." [USA Today, 5/11/06]
THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION MISLED AMERICA ON DOMESTIC SPYING

THE PRESIDENT WAS UNTRUTHFUL...

President Bush: "The Program Applies Only to International Communications." In January of 2006, President Bush addressed the National Security Agency. "In the weeks following September the 11th, I authorized a terrorist surveillance program to detect and intercept al Qaeda communications involving someone here in the United States. This is a targeted program to intercept communications in which intelligence professionals have reason to believe that at least one person is a member or agent of al Qaeda or a related terrorist organization. The program applies only to international communications. In other words, one end of the communication must be outside the United States." [US Fed News, 1/25/06]

...SO WAS HIS VICE PRESIDENT

Vice President Cheney: Program Dealt with International Al Qaeda Calls. Vice President Cheney said the surveillance program addressed a concern of the 9/11 Commission that the government had difficulty linking the activities of domestic and international terrorists. "It's hard to think of any category of information that could be more important to the safety of the United States than international communication, one end of which we have reason to believe is related to al-Qaida," Cheney said. "The enemy that struck on 9/11 is weakened, fractured, but still lethal and still determined to hit us again. Either we are serious about fighting this war on terror or we are not." [Associated Press, 1/20/06]

...AND HIS ATTORNEY GENERAL

Attorney General Gonzales Said In Senate Hearing That International Calls Only Were Allowed To Be Intercepted and That NSA Minimized "Unnecessary Collection" Of Information Of Americans. Gonzales said, "While the president approved this program to respond to the new threats against us, he also imposed several important safeguards to protect the privacy and civil liberties of all Americans. First, only international communications are authorized for interception under this program -- that is communications between a foreign country and this country." Gonzales went on to say that "to protect the privacy of Americans still further, the NSA employs safeguards to minimize the unnecessary collection and dissemination of information about U.S. persons." [Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing, 2/6/06]

* Gonzales Said It Was Incorrect To Call The NSA Spying Domestic Surveillance. In testimony before the senate, Gonzales said of the NSA spying program, "I think people who call this a domestic surveillance program are doing a disservice to the American people. It would be like flying from Texas to Poland and saying that's a domestic flight. We know that's not true. That would be an international flight. And what we're talking about are international communications." [Senate Judiciary Committee Hearing, 2/6/06]

...AND HIS SECRETARY OF STATE

Secretary of State Rice: President "Authorized The National Security Agency to Collect Information on A Limited Number of People with Ties to Al Qaeda." In an interview with CNN"s Wolf Blitzer, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice defended President Bush's authorization of the NSA surveillance program. "The president has -- first of all, let's talk about what he authorized," Rice said. "He authorized the National Security Agency to collect information on a limited number of people with ties to Al Qaeda in order to be able to close the gap, the seam, between the domestic territory of the United States and foreign territory." [CNN, The Situation Room, 12/26/05]

...AND HIS BRAIN

Bush's Top Advisor Karl Rove: Profoundly Wrong to Disagree with Eavesdropping on International Calls. Karl Rove said Democrats' views of Bush's program that allowed the National Security Agency to eavesdrop without court warrants on Americans whose international calls and e-mails it believed might be linked to al-Qaeda "doesn't make them unpatriotic but it does make them wrong, consistently, profoundly and equally wrong." "America is at war," Rove said. "We face a ruthless enemy and we need and we have a commander in chief and a Congress who understands the nature and the threat. . .To retreat before a victory is won would be a reckless act and this president will not allow it." [Associated Press, 2/24/06]

...AND HIS MOUTH

Former White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan: Program "Very Limited in Nature. . . It's about Looking at Calls That Involve Someone Overseas That Is An Al Qaeda Member or Affiliated with Al Qaeda." During a press briefing, Scott McClellan talked about the "limited" nature of the NSA program and how it only was used to look at calls involving al Qaeda. "As he (President Bush) indicated in his press conference, he did that in the weeks after the attacks of September 11th. It's an important tool that has helped us to prevent attacks here on the homeland. And that's why it's so important. But it's also one that is fully within our Constitution and our laws, and it's very limited in nature. And let me just point out, because some articles try to say this is about domestic surveillance - this is about detecting and preventing attacks. It's about looking at calls that involve someone overseas that is an al Qaeda member or affiliated with al Qaeda in some way. So it's important to make that very clear. This is about involving communications with known al Qaeda members or related terrorist organizations." [US Fed News, 1/4/06]

...AND HIS NEW HEAD OF THE CIA, WHO GOT THE WHOLE THING ROLLING

General Hayden Oversaw Creation of Domestic Surveillance Program. Hayden oversaw the creation and implementation of the Administration's domestic surveillance program at the National Security Agency. [International Herald Tribune, 5/9/06; Financial Times, 5/8/06]

Hayden Defended "Aggressive" NSA Spying Claiming It Only Dealt With International Calls And Did Not Collect "Reams Of Intelligence." In defense of the NSA domestic surveillance program, General Hayden said, "There's always a balancing between security and liberty. We understand that this is a more -- I'll use the word 'aggressive' program than would be traditionally available under FISA. It is also less intrusive. It deals only with international calls. It is generally for far shorter periods of time. And it is not designed to collect reams of intelligence, but to detect and warn and prevent about attacks. And, therefore, that's where we've decided to draw that balance between security and liberty." Hayden continued, saying "the authorization given to NSA by the President requires that one end of these communications has to be outside the United States. I can assure you, by the physics of the intercept, by how we actually conduct our activities, that one end of these communications are always outside the United States of America." [White House Briefing, 12/19/05]

:down:
jag

the thought police should come anytime soon to close this thread

well it turns out they have been spying on millions. there are not millions of terrorists in america. There is only one reason for doing this behind the backs of the Visa courts and that's because Bush doesn't want those courts to know who he's really spying on.

let's consider anything Bush might have ever done illegal while president. If he now suspects that certain people know about it, but hes' not sure who, he can use this to help him find out who knows what, and then ultimately silence them. Not only that but he could even be selling this option to other congressman as well.

Government corruption exists, and government secrecy allows the governemnt to completely become communist right under our noses, because if we don't know who's doing what, then how do we know what we our really voting for?

even republicans are up in arms about this. so far, newt gingrich and joe scarborough have crticized the administration over this. i guess bush's approval rating is going to keep on sinking.

Oh no the government's gonna know where I'm drinking this weekend! They'll also know the next time I'm gonna see my family! Crap! If the government was truly as evil as people make them out to be, do you really think we'd have people that can point out all the flaws so easily without any reprecussions? Once the government takes the Daily Show off the air, once it stops all the bloggers on the internet from informing people about their opinions on why the government is evil I'll start conplaining. Fact is, this has probably been done since the invention of the phone and doesn't matter.

tomahawk53 said:
2/3rds of the people polled are for it 100%.

That's absoultely false. 55% support it, and 45% oppose it as of two days ago.

Oh gosh, now the government will hear what movies I'm seeing, what games I'm going too and what pizza orders I place. Horrors :eek:

amazingfantasy15 said:
Oh no the government's gonna know where I'm drinking this weekend! They'll also know the next time I'm gonna see my family! Crap! If the government was truly as evil as people make them out to be, do you really think we'd have people that can point out all the flaws so easily without any reprecussions? Once the government takes the Daily Show off the air, once it stops all the bloggers on the internet from information people about their opinions on why the government is evil I'll start conplaining. Fact is, this has probably been done since the invention of the phone and doesn't matter.

Nixon did this and almost went to prison for it. The turth is that after Nixon was caught the law was changed. You need a warrant to do this. Clinton did it to spy on terrorists, but he always got the warrants from the Visa courts. bush merely went behind their backs.

Spider-Bite said:
well it turns out they have been spying on millions. there are not millions of terrorists in america. There is only one reason for doing this behind the backs of the Visa courts and that's because Bush doesn't want those courts to know who he's really spying on.

let's consider anything Bush might have ever done illegal while president. If he now suspects that certain people know about it, but hes' not sure who, he can use this to help him find out who knows what, and then ultimately silence them. Not only that but he could even be selling this option to other congressman as well.

Government corruption exists, and government secrecy allows the governemnt to completely become communist right under our noses, because if we don't know who's doing what, then how do we know what we our really voting for?
too paranoic theory

yet, it's really not that surprising

but don't worry, jonty, n8 and other inconditional bush supporters won't take long to come and debute your post with brown nosing

just wait and see...

Immortalfire said:
Oh gosh, now the government will hear this from me :eek:

"Wanna go see X-Men 3? Ok, I'll meet you there."
"..yup, on the way to the Braves game tonight."
"Heading for dinner, I'm hungry."
"Dogs win! Woohoo!"

Big whoop.

It's good to know Bush is doing something with our tax dollars :confused:

amazingfantasy15 said:
Oh no the government's gonna know where I'm drinking this weekend! They'll also know the next time I'm gonna see my family! Crap! If the government was truly as evil as people make them out to be, do you really think we'd have people that can point out all the flaws so easily without any reprecussions? Once the government takes the Daily Show off the air, once it stops all the bloggers on the internet from informing people about their opinions on why the government is evil I'll start conplaining. Fact is, this has probably been done since the invention of the phone and doesn't matter.
the reason those outlets are kept is simple: to keep the appearance of freedom

PLAS said:
too paranoic theory

yet, it's really not that surprising

but don't worry, jonty, n8 and other inconditional bush supporters won't take long to come and debute your post with brown nosing

just wait and see...
There are courrput politicians. There are governments all over the world who silence those that would threaten their power. They get away with it, because those are communist countries where the people have no vote or no knowledge of what's happening.

Bush's secret program is either the stepping stone, or it's the foot in the door to lead to this kind of behavior, because it's unchecked power with no oversight. What seperates Bush from the rest of the government world leaders?

Spider-Bite said:
There are courrput politicians. There are governments all over the world who silence those that would threaten their power. They get away with it, because those are communist countries where the people have no vote or no knowledge of what's happening.

Bush's secret program is either the stepping stone, or it's the foot in the door to lead to this kind of behavior, because it's unchecked power with no oversight. What seperates Bush from the rest of the government world leaders?
I don't see it much as communism, more like institutional fascism

Immortalfire said:
Oh gosh, now the government will hear what movies I'm seeing, what games I'm going too and what pizza orders I place. Horrors :eek:

that fact is, this kind of stuff can and will lead to worse invasions of privacy if not kept in check. many of you're conservative brethren are also alarmed by this.

Spider-Bite said:
That's absoultely false. 55% support it, and 45% oppose it as of two days ago.

It's in the article Matt linked from. I'm not making it up

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"