Comics Official (adjectiveless) X-MEN Discussion Thread

Apparently someone asked Tom Brevoort why he hired a writer who admits to having never read an X-Men comic before to write X-Men, and his reply basically (in not so few words) said to shut-up and come back when you get something published.

*finishes hammering out that novel*

I do wonder, though. If Gischler has never read the X-Men before and he's leading off with a story that's got most X-Men fans disinterested, how well could this possibly go? This sounds like Jodi Picoult's Wonder Woman run all over again, except Gischler has at least written one or two comic before.

Apparently someone asked Tom Brevoort why he hired a writer who admits to having never read an X-Men comic before to write X-Men, and his reply basically (in not so few words) said to shut-up and come back when you get something published.

*finishes hammering out that novel*

I do wonder, though. If Gischler has never read the X-Men before and he's leading off with a story that's got most X-Men fans disinterested, how well could this possibly go? This sounds like Jodi Picoult's Wonder Woman run all over again, except Gischler has at least written one or two comic before.
Wow, my expectations for this title just went downhill

I'm hoping the second story arc for this title turns out to be good, but if fans dislike the vampire story enough, this title might go the way of Young X-Men. It launched on the heels of a big Messiah crossover, sold really well for its first 3 or so issues, turned fans off with its crappy first storyline, and sales dropped so low that it couldn't make it past the 12th issue.

However, this is being launched as a core X-Men title. Fans might buy it on principle. There's no telling which way this will go, but something tells me this will be a very shaky new title.

1274905192.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=26405
...are they really using the 1963 title font for this book?

:huh: I though Gischler said that he had been an X-Men fan for years.

That might've been Rick Remender. I can't remember.

I hope it wasn't Gischler they were talking about. If it wasn't then I stand corrected and thank god for that. If it was Gischler, then god help us all.

Brevoort did hit it pretty spot-on in his reply, though.

Brevoort did hit it pretty spot-on in his reply, though.

Yeah, I've heard similar things from CB Cebulski (when he's not tweeting about food, he's tweeting about how to break into the industry), Gail Simone, and Brian K. Vaughan. If you want to get hired by Marvel (or any of the Top 5 publishers like DC, Image, Dark Horse, or IDW), you've got to already have a resume of published work. A lot of comic writers are also novelists, head writers for TV shows, screenwriters who've made movies, or they have a loooooong string of indie comics.

Simone is one of those anomalies in the industry. She started out with a gig at Marvel after blogging on CBR. I think it might've been her who said that breaking into Marvel without an impressive resume is like breaking into a castle. As soon as you find a way to sneak in, they plug up that particular hole so that no one else can use the exact same way.

Was it Grayson who said that? I guess I'm getting stuff mixed up. I know Simone was a CBR columnist before getting hired by Marvel, though.

What if Nightcrawler gets resurrected as a vampire? With his powerset, he'd definetly make for one deadly one. I wonder if they plan on going there with this upcoming title

But he's already dead. You can't make vampires out of cold, dead corpses, can you?

On the other hand, if they can get ahold of Bastion's TO virus...

vampire rules change from one medium to the other. Vamps traditionally burn in sunlight but you have them sparkling in Twilight. If they went this route with him, they'd make it work within the context of the story.

What are the rules for vampires in the Marvel Universe, anyway? I remember from a DoD comic that they can walk around in daylight as long as they're on their native soil, and of course there's the blood sucking thing, but that's about it.

prv5403_cov.jpg

prv5403_pg1.jpg

prv5403_pg2.jpg

prv5403_pg4.jpg

prv5403_pg5.jpg

prv5403_pg6.jpg

prv5403_pg7.jpg

prv5403_pg8.jpg

prv5403_pg9.jpg

prv5403_pg10.jpg

Marvel is proud to present your first look at X-Men #1 from the red-hot creative team of Victor Gischler and Paco Medina. In the first X-Men #1 in almost 20 years, Marvel’s mighty mutants enter the Heroic Age to face a deadly new threat in a battle that will drastically alter the ENTIRE Marvel Universe! With new faces being brought into the fold and an all-star new creative team, fans cannot miss the “Curse of the Mutants” in the all-new X-Men #1!

X-MEN #1
X-MEN #1 ROMITA JR VARIANT (MAY100630)
X-MEN #1 MEDINA VARIANT (MAY100632)
X-MEN #1 DJURDJEVIC VARIANT (MAY100633)
X-MEN #1 BLANK VARIANT (MAY100629)
Written by VICTOR GISCHLER
Penciled by PACO MEDINA
Cover by ADI GRANOV
Variant Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
Variant Cover by PACO MEDINA
Variant Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
Rated T+ …$3.99
FOC—6/17/10, On-sale—7/8/10

Since when do Pixie and Jubilee kick it? They're not from the same graduating class, they're sidekicks to different X-Men (Jubilee had Wolverine and Pixie spent more time with Nightcrawler), and they never even fought side by side.

Crap. Paco Medina's on art? Argh. That makes it much harder to not buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"