First Avenger OFFICIAL: Chris Evans is Captain America

Chris did really good in this. I was impressed. :up:

I've never really liked Ruffalo as an actor but obviously I hope he does a good job. It will be hard to be any blander than Norton and Bana were in the role.

Yeah I know fanboys love em but I think that Norton is a mostly bland actor who was a bland Bruce Banner. I'm fine with Bana as an actor but not crazy about him, that being said, his sleep inducing performance was obviously Ang Lee's fault.

I don't have to put IMO at the end of this post because obviously it's my opinion.

Norton was bland? Gimme a break.

I felt like Evans did good work but he did not "marvel" me...? They worked with Chris and made him do character-actor work to make sure he came across as a weakling when he was small and to keep those elements when he changed. But to me sometime he came out too much as sedated. I think a hero like this you need a leading man, not a character-actor. It needed a young Redford(in The Natural), who's gonna have that glint in his eyes and a small smirk before smashing Nazi heads. Like Christopher Reeves in Superman. Hugh Jackman also has that as Wolverine. They could have kept the underdog element from him like everybody always took everything for granted with him and always surprise because of it, yet he enjoys that, right. I also think when Rogers was small and he managed to find a way to take the flag, showed that he had smarts about him, as far as being naturaly practical in moment of need but they never showed that when he was fighting. That this could be an advantage he would use.

I thought he was a bit sedated as well, post-serum. I thought his portrayal of skinny Steve was the better of the two depictions.

I thought Chris nailed it. He was Steve Rogers to me, can't wait to see more from him.

If I have a complaint, and it's a small one, it was that they didn't alter Skinny Steve's voice at all. Hearing Chris' deep voice coming from that skinny little dude was a bit distracting to me.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by that as well.

While we were watching the movie, my wife leaned over and made a comment about it, too. The voice just didn't quite match the body. Not a big deal, though.

I can't even picture anyone else as Captain America. Chris Evans took the role and fit it like a hand in a glove; perfect.

I had a hard time picturing him as another hero other than Johnny Storm. Boy, did he make a believer out of me.

I've now seen this movie 3 times and I think I've finally had the AWE of it wear off and I'm ready to really critique Chris and the movie. FIRST OFF... I FREAKIN LOVED IT the first time I watched it... couldn't get enough... so I went the next day (on 3 hours sleep) and saw it again. I really liked it the second time, but noticed some things that bothered me. I saw it again for the 3rd time a week and half later and still REALLY liked it...

I found that Chris did an AMAZING job as skinny steve. And he did a pretty good job as Post serum Steve... but he really lacked as "Captain America" I never got that Captain America feel from him. Sure he looked great, but that commanding presence just wasn't there. I NEVER FELT LIKE PEOPLE LOOKED UP TO HIM AND HE COMMANDED MEN. He seemed to be much too quite and low key (as Captain America) I got that feeling from Dum Dum... but not Steve. aka Captain Rogers.

I AM HOPING THAT THIS CHANGES IN AVENGERS.

I LOVED EVERYTHING LEADING UP TO HIS FINAL COSTUME REVEAL... then the movie became a music video... all the substance that they built up in the first 2/3rds of the movie was just thrown out the window and all we got was explosions and motorbike stunts. (obviously not Chris' fault) But I felt that his excellent performance in the first 2/3rds gets lots in the CAP-tacular action of the final 3rd.

I do like that they did a montage, which allows for other Cap stories in WWII (if the so decide) but the montage felt very TOMBSTONE-esque where Curt Russell goes on that killing spree at the end (with the musical score ramped up) It was all flash and no substance (until his last radio transmission, then the story seemed to get good again)

So I would give Chris Evans a solid 8 out of 10 for his performance... that's front loaded because of how awesome he was before the final outfit reveal.

Oh... and I HATED that he ripped off his helmet
to go after Bucky... why would you do that? (other than to emote better for the audience... lame) have the original blast knock him over and have his helmet fly off... not ripping his helmet off to do something that might actually require the protection of a helmet!!!)

Just my 2 cents.
:cap:

I agree with you Rage, except I don't think that was any fault on Evan's part. He was less engaging in the section you mentioned because he wasn't given anything substantial to do. It was basically just an action montage. I don't feel we reconnected with the Steve we'd been rooting for most of the movie until the final confrontation with Red Skull. It's more of a pacing and story issue than an issue with Evans.

I hate the helmets and masks come off in all of these movies, but I get it ... They want the actors faces and emotions to be seen. I don't really like it, but I can live with it.

I also get what you're saying about the montage. The one thing I wish they would have shown was Cap leading front line soldiers, inspiring them in the battlefield. He seemed to become a special ops soldier overnight. I would have liked to see him with the "regular" guys more.

I agree with you Rage, except I don't think that was any fault on Evan's part. He was less engaging in the section you mentioned because he wasn't given anything substantial to do. It was basically just an action montage. I don't feel we reconnected with the Steve we'd been rooting for most of the movie until the final confrontation with Red Skull. It's more of a pacing and story issue than an issue with Evans.

I agree that Chris did great with what he had to work with... but I still didn't get that "commander of men" feel from him.

I hate the helmets and masks come off in all of these movies, but I get it ... They want the actors faces and emotions to be seen. I don't really like it, but I can live with it.

I agree about the helmet/masks coming off. But in this case it was soooo blatant!! They could have had the helmet crash off his head when he hits the side of the boxcar wall... problem solved!

I also get what you're saying about the montage. The one thing I wish they would have shown was Cap leading front line soldiers, inspiring them in the battlefield. He seemed to become a special ops soldier overnight. I would have liked to see him with the "regular" guys more.

I agree. I would have liked to have seen him leading the prisoner revolt more... he just let them out and they went from captured and defeated to full of piss and vinegar and unstoppable in about 2 seconds... and Cap continued to skulk around looking for Bucky.

I loved the line where Steve says he doesn't want to kill anyone... he hates bullies. That was REALLY Captain America to me. Wasn't a fan of him throwing pilots to their deaths (although the prop death was unavoidable)

I agree about the helmet/masks coming off. But in this case it was soooo blatant!! They could have had the helmet crash off his head when he hits the side of the boxcar wall... problem solved!

i agree with you. It's the really blatant ones that make you go "Oh come on!". RDJ is always flipping his Iron Man mask open, Tobey is CONSTANTLY whipping that Spider-Man mask off, etc.

Thor managed to get around that by just ignoring his helmet (for the most part).

Like I said, I get it, but it does get a bit annoying. Especially the nonsense ones like you pointed out with Cap. I guess we just have to accept it.

Cap was never particularly anti-death though, was he? I mean he's no Batman, and these ARE Nazis....

I think we'll get a better chance to see him shine in Avengers, and then a deeper WWII era Cap exploration in Cap 2.

I didn't mind the helmet coming off at all, because I thought the costume looked 500 times better and more Cap/Steve Rogers like without it. When Peggy is watching the clip of Steve, uniform on and helmet off looking at a map and giving orders, that looked SO Cap to me. Certain shots of him for some reason just looked exactly like a Romita jr drawing of Cap. The helmet just didn't work as well as I'd hoped, unfortunately.

Ultimate Captain America World War II costume
wwiicaptainamerica.jpg

This was over in the Avengers forum....but it needs to be here too.

tumblr_lqy89eT0ym1qcpj2lo6_r1_400.jpg

I thought Chris nailed it. He was Steve Rogers to me, can't wait to see more from him.

If I have a complaint, and it's a small one, it was that they didn't alter Skinny Steve's voice at all. Hearing Chris' deep voice coming from that skinny little dude was a bit distracting to me.

Yeah, I was a little surprised by that as well.

While we were watching the movie, my wife leaned over and made a comment about it, too. The voice just didn't quite match the body. Not a big deal, though.

I'm going to have to disagree with you guys on this one. I didn't see it as a big deal at all. In fact, I think it would have been a lot more distracting if they HAD changed his voice post-transformation. Not only would it have seemed a bit more cartoon-y, but it would have made it seem more like Steve became a different person after being administered the Super Soldier Serum.

One of the big themes of the movie - indeed, one of its strongest points - is the idea that Steve had it inside him to be Captain America the whole time - he had the guts, the intelligence, the selflessly heroic nature, the only thing he didn't have was the physical strength. Therefore, after his transformation, it seems like we're finally seeing "the missing piece of the puzzle" - Steve getting the last thing he needed to be a hero.

If they'd changed Cap's voice post-transformation, I think you would have had a lot more people laughing and poking fun at it. Remember in Revenge of the Sith after they finally put the Darth Vader mask on Anakin Skywalker and he suddenly sounds like James Earl Jones (or when the same thing happens to Dark Helmet in Spaceballs)? I think changing Cap's voice would have had exactly that effect from the perspective of the audience. Better to not change it at all, as it underscores the congruence of pre-serum and post-serum Steve.

Besides:
1) It is possible for skinny guys to have deep voices
2) Chris's voice wasn't even that deep. I mean, it was authoritative and commanding, but it wasn't Barry White deep, which certainly would have sounded ridiculous. I thought his voice was just right for Steve Rogers/Captain America, and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it pre- or post-transformation.

I like how they made the mask completely ill-fitting. Seems like they made the suit and said "hang on, it doesn't look nearly as stupid as we thought it would"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"