Official discussion on why "Nice Guys" have a hard time getting the girl.

Knightsaber Priss

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Let me start by pasting a few posts from the "Chris Brown beats up Rihanna" thread that diverged into this very topic just to give you all a little bit of background where this discussion has sprouted from.

It all started with this post I believe.

That's what I don't get. It's like women want men that beat the **** out of them.

Nice guys get shifted. Ah well, it's their loss.

To which I replied in kind.

From a personal perspective I can tell you the reason why women do not go for the Nice guy type is because we feel that type won't protect us against threats out there in society. Basically if we are being manhandled by an overzealous, grabby sort of guy we think that Nice Guy won't be strong enough physically and mentally to show Octopus Fingers his advances are not tolerated. But on the flip side, I don't like overly aggressive men as well because they'll be too territorial and abusive.

And the conversation kind of continued to which I decided this topic needed its own forum so we didn't veer off topic in the Rihanna/Chris Brown thread. I'm not going to paste them all but here are just a few of the responses.

Dont give me that bollocks, a man's inability to get women, has nothing to do with his niceness

She has a point though, why would a woman be with someone that seems weak and lacks confidence?

Godzilla's talking about balance IMO. Both extremes are bad choices for potential mates.

Here was my last reply in that thread which detailed why I wanted to start this thread in the first place.

Exactly. It all goes back to primal emotions. We women want to feel protected by the men we choose to be with because other human males can be quite aggressive. I do like a man who has a mild, laid back disposition but who can handle conflict from another, interloping man and even woman when he knows I'm being threatened by them in some way. If we women perceive a man has a weak personality, who is too overly sensitive, we tend to dismiss them because in our view we couldn't see them defending us against a harsh outside world and the people that live in it. We also don't want to hear guys whine about how they can never get a girl. That just lends an air if wussiness on you. But I think this conversation alone deserves its own thread so I'm going to make one in the community forum for us to further discuss it.

All in all, what I'm trying to say is that it's good to have a man that is a decent human being who would respect their girlfriend, but you do have to show us that you are willing to defend our honor and partnership. If you act too schmaltzy and go all goo goo eyed some of us will get the impression you'll fold when there's an aggressive threat.

It's too bad the term "Nice Guy" gets a bad rap. To me the "Nice Guy" is the balanced guy. Laid back, confident, level-headed/calm, and can stand his own ground when confronted or threatened.

I guess when the "nice" word comes up it typically evokes the feeling of weakness, perhaps? But I always find it's the "nice" ones who kill with kindness, smarts, and class. And kick-ass when needed. And so-called "Shy Boys." Not so shy from experience. Hahaha. :p

The ones I found to be "weak" per se were the overly yucky types who try to hit on you and give off that feeling of desperation. *shudders*

And the overly aggressive types I stayed far away from. *spooky*

Yeah, glad I chose to be with a nice guy. :)

Women do go for nice guys, but many men who think they're these alleged "nice guys" aren't really nice, they're wimps who allow people to walk all over them but try to play it off as just being "nice." They even advertise the fact that they're "so nice," when in actuality, it's just a cover up for being an awkward dater/needy.

Good article:

In my 10 years of coaching men and women on the perils of dating and relationships, the one journey women tell me they never want to go on again is meeting and hanging out with the "needy and clingy" man.
Nothing turns women off more than a guy who is really needy.
Now, I can practically hear men's voices protesting from everywhere, saying "But David, there are a lot of needy women too!" This article is not about them... it's about you.
Below are 10 signs that you are being needy. Remember you are trying to attract women, not turn them off. So if you suffer from any of these signs of neediness, you need to immediately stop those actions.
1. You just walked a woman to her door at the end of a date. Instead of kissing her, you ask her if she had a good time. Women are attracted to confident men. They don't want to have to tell you that they had a good time on a date... they want you to be secure enough in yourself to assume that they had a good time.
2. You called a woman last night and she has not yet called you back, so you either email her or call her again to ask her if she received your message. If you want to push her away, this is one of the best ways to get her to quickly run away from you.
3. You start texting a woman you just began dating five or six times a day. You are over-texting her. You don't need to check in every two hours. That's a sign of neediness and clingy behavior that turns women off.
4. You miss a call on your cell phone from a phone number that you don't recognize. You call the woman you're dating, and to whom you talked just two hours before, and ask, "Did you just call me?" This kind of behavior is going to push and scare her away.
5. You agree with everything the woman you're dating says. Women are not looking for a man who agrees with everything they say. Women want a man who challenges them and from whom they can learn. When a man agrees with everything a woman says, he is telling her that he'll do anything to have a relationship (which is another sign of being needy).
6. The woman you're dating is out for the evening with her friends. She promised to call you when she got home. It's getting late and you haven't heard from her. You just can't resist and you call her cell phone several times until she answers it. This is a sign of being needy and insecure. She's out with her friends... not out with another guy. Let her have some personal space and she'll respect you more.
7. You are too available. If you have plans with a friend, keep those plans even if the woman you're dating asks you to do something that night. Women don't want men who are like a 7-Eleven -- convenient and ready 24/7.
8. You try to please a woman all the time. I'm all about men doing nice things for women, but she has to earn it. Some men will let a woman walk all over them, and then continue to be a sponge and allow it over and over again. Stand up for yourself and she'll respect you more. Letting a woman walk all over you is a clear sign to her that you're needy.
9. Don't be afraid to challenge a woman. If you don't agree with something a woman says, don't just sit there and agree with her thinking it's what she wants. Women are looking for someone who is going to stimulate their mind... not bore them. Women are not turned on by men they can completely control.
10. Be the man! Have a plan and stick with it. Women like men who plan out evenings of fun.

Don't always ask a woman what she wants to do. Listen to what she likes when you're having conversations with her, then come up with a fun plan that you will already know she'll like. A needy man will do whatever a woman wants. A man of action will create plans for what they will do. Being a man of action will lead her to find you a lot more attractive in the long run.
Women love dating men who are confident and real. Women want to feel like you need them... but only after you already have your own life, your own ambitions, and your own goals.
The moment a man starts getting too clingy, a woman will run for the hills. This is exactly like how you will pull back from a woman who becomes clingy and needy.
http://dating.personals.yahoo.com/singles/datingtips/81390/10-signs-youre-being-needy

You hit it right on the nail, Pickles. Needy = Yucky. Good article. :up:

It's too bad the term "Nice Guy" gets a bad rap. To me the "Nice Guy" is the balanced guy. Laid back, confident, level-headed/calm, and can stand his own ground when confronted or threatened.

I guess when the "nice" word comes up it typically evokes the feeling of weakness, perhaps? But I always find it's the "nice" ones who kill with kindness, smarts, and class. And kick-ass when needed. And so-called "Shy Boys." Not so shy from experience. Hahaha. :p

The ones I found to be "weak" per se were the overly yucky types who try to hit on you and give off that feeling of desperation. *shudders*

And the overly aggressive types I stayed far away from. *spooky*

Yeah, glad I chose to be with a nice guy. :)

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!
You see, that's the kind of man a woman should be with. :woot:

haha, that article above doesn't even remotely apply to people like me. I never phone or message anyone. People message ME ( I'm serious, I'm not bragging). I tend to ignore girls, because I profile them the immediate moment I meet them. Most of them just seem too far up themselves, also the amount of make-up and luring clothes they wear really shows how needy they are of finding a man. So I'm just thinking, why don't they just admit it. People who do that really don't deserve my attention or regard in my opinion.

But then again, I'm a pessimistic bastard. But still, I AM THE NICEST PERSON everyone around me has ever met. I think some girls just feel like they have to do too much work to be around me, and I appreciate that. My current girl, is amazing, she respects herself for who she is. She thinks about the serious things in life and doesn't dwell on popular life style these days.

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like there's way too many rules and expectations when it comes stuff like this.

Last edited:
No, women are just easily captured by that illusion of strength. A man running his mouth or playing life like it's a game of fun i.e. constantly partying etc. is as cowardly as they come. Life is serious, ignoring the harsh realities of life is the weakest thing someone can do. Instead of putting time into understanding why everything is the way it is, and how you can change it or become the change you wish to be is a major part of life.

Now, I can't speak for anyone else. But a true man, should defend his flock, and should display kindness to the ones he cares for.
Just because a man is nice to you, doesn't mean he can't protect you. Some women need to take a time out and think.

i think we all kind of know this now for those of us who are in college or late high school. i think it is good to get this kind of info out to the younger kids growing up so they dont get left out:

a) be a man and stand up for who you are

b) dont think being an asshead is standing up for who you are. dont be a jerk

also i guess the topic is still very relevant bc there is a (slowly to be outdated) stereotype that comic fans are niceguys or nicegirls. in my experience though most comic fans try to act too hard or too tough. another forum i go to has a "women dating and relationships thread" where you can just go an post about any tricky situations you are in and get advice on it. i think SHH would benefit from that too. we have soem girls on this forum so they could also ask their own questions in an men dating and relationships advice" thread.

Godzilla2000 said:
I can tell you the reason why women do not go for the Nice guy type is because we feel that type won't protect us against threats out there in society.

Godzilla2000...Setting the Women's Lib movement back ten years with each post :cwink:

Many posters here are young. Most women past high school and college do not continue to go for the jerks who treat them like ****. When young, women want danger and excitement...like anyone. Men are the same way...in high school you want to bed the ****ty, *****y, cheerleader but she's not going to be the girl you want to marry ten years down the road. Your needs change with age. Eventually both men and women want reliability, consistency, and love. Something the "ass holes," can't give them. Plus, to a lot of guys from the outside looking in, the man is an ass hole simply because he has the girl the guy on the outside wants.

As for Rihanna, she is an exception, not the norm. Her going back to the man who beat her is an act of incredible self destruction. But, some women, like some men, are simply self destructive. It is not a gender thing.

Women do go for nice guys, but many men who think they're these alleged "nice guys" aren't really nice, they're wimps who allow people to walk all over them but try to play it off as just being "nice."

Eggs

Actly

I'm a "nice guy" and have never had a problem with the women. The first thing women usually say to me when they start warming up to me is that I make them "comfortable". It's all about how you relate to the person you are talking to. It's not that difficult.

Alls you complaining "nice guys" should watch My Best Friend's Girl. Jason Biggs encapsulates your personalities. :o

ATP wins the thread.

I'm a nice guy and I don't have a problem with women at all. I don't need to elaborate after Pickles' post.

Eggs

Actly

I'm a "nice guy" and have never had a problem with the women. The first thing women usually say to me when they start warming up to me is that I make them "comfortable". It's all about how you relate to the person you are talking to. It's not that difficult.

Same here I know many "nice guys'' that have no problems, I guess when men get rejected by women its easier to find an excuse rather than look at themselfs

These are the types of guys I like to refer to as Mr. Octopus Fingers, because with they're grabby hands it's like your trying to fight off octopus tentacles trying to cling to you. The truly self confident (And by confident I mean a man who's sure of himself and his decisions, not a guy who's a self absorbed narcissist.), mature, engaging, highly preferred candidates are the ones who know how to stimulate this lady's mind. Acting like an hyperactive puppy is not the way to win this lady's heart.

No, women are just easily captured by that illusion of strength. A man running his mouth or playing life like it's a game of fun i.e. constantly partying etc. is as cowardly as they come.

These are the types of guys that usually elicit a Red warning Flag in my mind because of he's more obsessed with showing everybody how strong and tough he is, chances are he'll project that in a relationship as well. This is a different type of desperation in that it appears to me that he's overcompensating for something he's lacking by filling a void with perpetual, ego driven motion.

Godzilla2000...Setting the Women's Lib movement back ten years with each post :cwink:

I think I wasn't making myself clear with my post. When I say "Nice Guys" I mean the sorts you'd see in those old Jack Lalanne comic style ads where you've got the skinny, twig-like guy who gets pushed around by some muscle headed jock who kicks sand in his face. You know, those types of guys who run away the moment another man threatens his male dominance.

Oh, and considering I live on my own and support myself on the wages I earn at work I'm hardly what you'd call a modest, old fashioned woman. ;)

Last edited:
I guess a lot of people think they are 'nice', just like most believe they have a good sense of humour and fashion sense. Of course, a lot of these people are blinded by their ego.

Glad I'm not one of them:word:

:huh:

another forum i go to has a "women dating and relationships thread" where you can just go an post about any tricky situations you are in and get advice on it. i think SHH would benefit from that too. we have soem girls on this forum so they could also ask their own questions in an men dating and relationships advice" thread.

We also have a relationship advice thread here at Hype... :)

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=273938

Because girls are stupid. If she's a princess, treat her like a hooker. If she's a hooker, treat her like a princes. And if she gives you lip, drop the C-bomb. Problem solved.

Because girls are stupid. If she's a princess, treat her like a hooker. If she's a hooker, treat her like a princes. And if she gives you lip, drop the C-bomb. Problem solved.

How about if a woman just acts like a normal woman and neither extreme you listed?

Find me one. Pics or it didn't happen.

Hmm.

Well I always noticed that when in a relationship, you shouldn't be around your bf or gf all the time every moment. I know some people whjo are like that. It could be either one of them. And that's bad. You may think it's good, spending all the time with her will strengthen the relationship, but it doesn't.

My mom told me when her and my dad were dating, they were together, but my dad told her straightr out, that he also wants his time with his friends so she can heve time with hers and theyn they can get together on weekends, weekdays for the friends. That's how it worked out. And I absolutely believe this works. I give credit to my dad for saying it straight out, though my mom did completely understand and agreed, and it helped them alot.

I'm starting to wonder if when it's a good time for me to get a gf. I'd actually like to have a job and drive (which I am now) until I get one. Women like men with stuff like that right? It means they take initiative?

I guess a lot of people think they are 'nice', just like most believe they have a good sense of humour and fashion sense. Of course, a lot of these people are blinded by their ego.

Glad I'm not one of them:word:

:huh:

Hmm... let's judge this by a person's lack of virginity. I believe I'm down negative 33 points as far as that is concerned. Not too bad for a "nice guy".

Hmm... let's judge this by a person's lack of virginity. I believe I'm down negative 33 points as far as that is concerned. Not too bad for a "nice guy".

I thought your virginity grew back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"