Guardians of the Galaxy OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you are pushing the age thing hard, particularly for Drax, for whom it would not fit. He should be younger and superbuff, not 40's or older. Once again, he does not have to look like he's old enough to be Moondragon's father because he didn't father her in the body he's currently in.

That's true, but how awkward would it seem if (for example) they painted Chris Hemsworth Green and said he was Natalie Portman's father? It'd seem so stupid, and unbelievable. Drax needs to have some age and grit to him.

In the case of Gamora, they've yet to cast an action heroine born before 1980. Smulders, Johansen, Atwell, and the Sharon Carter short list (in addition to past short lists for Black Widow, Peggy etc) show the age range they'll likely be going with for Gamora, Ms. Marvel, Wasp, and other action heroines down the road.

We're not going to see Lynn Collins or Gina Torres cast in the role of Gamora, just like we never saw Mark Valley cast as Captain America, or Mila Jovovich cast as Black Widow, despite being heavily fan cast. They have a certain age group they go with for that type of hero, and they'll stick to it.

Star-Lord is a slightly different story, and the only one I'd be willing to bend on a bit. I still believe, however, if they're going with Star-Lord's origins vs. Joining Star-Lord in progress (Think The X-Men already being in place in the first X-Movie), we should have a 25-30 year old Star-Lord. If they decide to "join him in progress" anything up to 40 is fine.

That's assuming they're going to go anywhere near Moondragon in the movies, and I'm not sure they will

That's assuming they're going to go anywhere near Moondragon in the movies, and I'm not sure they will

Good point; as I've stated in another thread, she's not exactly the most likeable character.

We have no idea. What we do know is that all the characters will be rewritted to some extent for the big screen. Any character can be made more or less likeable or "child friendly" with minor changes. Even more important is casting. Its all up in the air at this point.

I was referring more to how unnecessarily convoluted her history is. The same goes for Phyla

After seeing Glau in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, I came to positively despise her acting. Her unblinking stare technique is annoying, even for a robotic character. The only way I can see Glau playing Gamora is if they have her as a half-rotted corpse, as in The Infinity Gauntlet. That'd be the best use of her talents.

Heh... so you're a "No" to Glau then?

Yeah, feel free to cast Aaron Paul in any Marvel movie. He would make a kick ass Star-Lord.

I have a hard time thinking of actresses who look like they can actually 1) kick butt 2) have acting talent and 3) maybe also help diversify Marvel's lineup. I really, really want Marvel expanding their search to actresses of color. If not Gina Torres, who I would love to see in any superhero movie regardless, how about Rosario Dawson? Or maybe they can go Asian with Gamora? Maggie Q? Grace Park? Or cast her as Mantis???

I'm desperate to see some Asian representation in more Marvel movies.

Also, I think I kind of suck at fan casting...

Heh... so you're a "No" to Glau then?

Yeah, feel free to cast Aaron Paul in any Marvel movie. He would make a kick ass Star-Lord.

I have a hard time thinking of actresses who look like they can actually 1) kick butt 2) have acting talent and 3) maybe also help diversify Marvel's lineup. I really, really want Marvel expanding their search to actresses of color. If not Gina Torres, who I would love to see in any superhero movie regardless, how about Rosario Dawson? Or maybe they can go Asian with Gamora? Maggie Q? Grace Park? Or cast her as Mantis???

I'm desperate to see some Asian representation in more Marvel movies.

Also, I think I kind of suck at fan casting...

Heroes for Hire/Daughters of the Dragon is your best bet for getting some ethnic diversity into Marvel casting.

But yeah, I agree with you....I'd like to see Marvel reach out to other nations and other ethnicities and not make it the whitebread New York-centric universe the comic books created back in the 1960s. And so far, Marvel Studios has really shown that they're thinking outside that box, too (Elba for Heimdall; SLJ as Fury; IM centered in LA instead of NY; Peggy Carter, and probably Sharon, as a Brit instead of an American; Roth as a Brit instead of an American; Max Hernandez as Jasper Sitwell; hiring a couple of real Russians to play Natasha Romanoff and Ivan Vanko....okay, I guess I got a bit carried away there)

Heroes for Hire/Daughters of the Dragon is your best bet for getting some ethnic diversity into Marvel casting.

But yeah, I agree with you....I'd like to see Marvel reach out to other nations and other ethnicities and not make it the whitebread New York-centric universe the comic books created back in the 1960s. And so far, Marvel Studios has really shown that they're thinking outside that box, too (Elba for Heimdall; SLJ as Fury; IM centered in LA instead of NY; Peggy Carter, and probably Sharon, as a Brit instead of an American; Roth as a Brit instead of an American; Max Hernandez as Jasper Sitwell; hiring a couple of real Russians to play Natasha Romanoff and Ivan Vanko....okay, I guess I got a bit carried away there)

Since several of their most well-known female characters are tied up with the X-Men at Fox, I'd like for Marvel Studios to really surprise us and think outside the box if/when they cast Carol Danvers, Jan Van Dyne or Bobbi Morse. Or why not just make Monica Rambeau a SHIELD agent, along with Misty Knight?

Back to topic: I'd really, really like to see Mantis pop up in this movie.

Since several of their most well-known female characters are tied up with the X-Men at Fox, I'd like for Marvel Studios to really surprise us and think outside the box if/when they cast Carol Danvers, Jan Van Dyne or Bobbi Morse. Or why not just make Monica Rambeau a SHIELD agent, along with Misty Knight?

Back to topic: I'd really, really like to see Mantis pop up in this movie.

I'm sure if Guardians of the Galaxy is successful, Mantis will make it into a sequel. Along with Adam Warlock, she tops that list.

How about Edgar Ramirez as Star-Lord?

How about Edgar Ramirez as Star-Lord?

He looks good and looks like leading man material; but I don't know a damn thing about his acting. Any good? And would his name be enough to generate buzz? I really think casting is going to be more important to GOTG than the "known" Marvel heroes. Marquee value is probably going to be a lot more important for unknown comic book characters than for icons like Cap, Thor, Hulk and Iron Man.

Yeah, he's great, he's going to be a huge star in a few years. He was up for Zod in Man of Steel IIRC. He has an accent but I think that's fine for Star-Lord.

I wish Jennifer Lawrence wasn't tied up with X-Men. She'd make a great Gamora.

She looks a little too young and innocent to be Gamora. I couldn't take her seriously as Mystique at all, that's not the right kind of role for her.

She looks a little too young and innocent to be Gamora. I couldn't take her seriously as Mystique at all, that's not the right kind of role for her.

In the early Adam Warlock comics, she is referred to constantly as Thanos's Young assistant, his young ward, his young assassin giving you the impression that she's barely in her 20s.

Too innocent, I'll buy, but Gamora isn't supposed to be middle aged.

I have been thinking only about one role, and it's Adam.

Charlie Hunnam (Jax Teller on SOA) for Adam Warlock: that is all.

In the early Adam Warlock comics, she is referred to constantly as Thanos's Young assistant, his young ward, his young assassin giving you the impression that she's barely in her 20s.

Too innocent, I'll buy, but Gamora isn't supposed to be middle aged.

When I said young I meant like 16-17. She looks like a tall kid.

JL may still have a baby face, but her body is all woman. Didnt really like her as Mystique though. Miscast imo. Rebecca Rojmin, hardly a great actress, was great in the role. Her model bone structure and poise probably helped. Perfect casting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"