Official Nintendo 3DS Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the PSP Go all digital? I'm not getting the analogy. This will play physical copies, I believe.

I think he means it's the same because it's a pointless revision. Also, because it might flop?

What a strange decision to make it so you can't close it, along with it just being in 2D. I guess they'll sell it for pretty cheap, though? At least make it fold like all the other DSs.

I think he means it's the same because it's a pointless revision. Also, because it might flop?

Ah well, I guess. I think pointless revision has become Nintendo's thing for handhelds. Though, I do think the point is trying to get a cheaper model on the market without having to do another price cut on the mainline system.

What a strange decision to make it so you can't close it, along with it just being in 2D. I guess they'll sell it for pretty cheap, though? At least make it fold like all the other DSs.

It'll sell for $129.99. I don't get why they took out the fold part either. I guess maybe that made it...cheaper somehow. No clue.

5tPCRDJ.jpg

Oh, its only $40 cheaper? With that kind of design, and lack of 3D, I would have imagined that it would be at least $60-$70 cheaper. I would rather just pay $40 for a more conveniently portable device(fold), that has more features(3D).

Hm, is he talking about the 2DS or is that directed at the guy asking? Lol, god, Kamiya on twitter is the bestest.

Anyway, here is a photo of all three models lined up:

9617658396_0d75d53e18_o.jpg

Oh, its only $40 cheaper? With that kind of design, and lack of 3D, I would have imagined that it would be at least $60-$70 cheaper. I would rather just pay $40 for a more conveniently portable device(fold), that has more features(3D).

Ah, nah, I would've have expected that big of a difference. There's only a $30 difference between the OG and the XL after all. We probably won't see a base of below $100 for the 3DS for awhile.

Yup. And how in the world does this new revision STILL not have a second thumbstick? :huh::doh:

I had to read 3 articles about the 2DS because I thought it could be a joke/prank.

They've never revised a handheld and changed the controls, only the size and design of the system. I mean, I don't get why people expect something different than what Nintendo has done to death in the same fashion for like 3 handheld generations now...?

Well this came out of nowhere.

I guess it might be popular with kids... maybe? Even as a kid I appreciated compactness. Apparently a lot of kids were snapping these things in half.

At only thirty bucks less, it's not really a good deal.

Seems like it would feel awkward.

They've never revised a handheld and changed the controls, only the size and design of the system. I mean, I don't get why people expect something different than what Nintendo has done to death in the same fashion for like 3 handheld generations now...?
Maybe bc this is the first time they've added a significant accessory shortly after release? The second analog stick isnt like another Guitar Hero add on. Its undestandable why people would have expected them to eventually release a dual stick 3DS which merged the analog add on with the system

Nintendo 2DS Doesn’t Mean Nintendo Are Moving Away From 3D Games. August 28, 2013 . 10:30am “There’s a lot of great 3D experiences that gamers have come to love. We don’t want to walk away from that at all,” says Nintendo’s Scott Moffitt.

This morning, Nintendo announced the Nintendo 2DS, a low-priced budget version of the Nintendo 3DS without stereoscopic 3D and the clamshell design. However, Nintendo say that the introduction of the 2DS doesn’t mean they’re moving away from 3D gaming or the original 3DS itself.

When asked by US Gamer if the new 2DS represents a shift away from 3D, Nintendo’s vice president of sales and marketing Scott Moffitt replied, “Not at all. Clearly our development efforts all include 3D games. Our installed base, we have eight million units installed. If 3D wasn’t selling and wasn’t part of our future, we wouldn’t be seeing and enjoying the robust sales we have on 3DS right now.”

He elaborates later in the interview, “I’d say that our fan feedback, gamer feedback, has been that they very much enjoy 3D as a feature. Games like Super Mario 3D Land play fabulously well in 3D. There’s a lot of great 3D experiences that gamers have come to love. We don’t want to walk away from that at all.”

Instead, Moffitt says, the decision to remove the 3D screen was driven by the desire to reach the system’s $130 price, which he says wouldn’t have been possible without removing stereoscopic 3D and the clamshell design.

source: Siliconera

- No 3D feature because it's harmful to children under 7
- No hinges because children break them like it's their duty
- Cheaper
- Being released on the same day as X and Y

Last edited:
Well this came out of nowhere.

Lol, only if you've not followed Nintendo's handheld policy over the last decade.

Maybe bc this is the first time they've added a significant accessory shortly after release? The second analog stick isnt like another Guitar Hero add on. Its undestandable why people would have expected them to eventually release a dual stick 3DS which merged the analog add on with the system

The Circle Pad Pro, you mean? It might as well be another add-on like that. A lot of software, to my knowledge, doesn't support it and I don't even know if it's a common item. You can't find it in stores very much anymore I don't think.

Doesn't matter, because the point is still the same. You can expect what you want, but if you ignore history, all you're going to do is disappoint yourself.

Maybe Nintendo needs to move on from the past. Get with the present. They still haven't solved the problem of all downloads being tied to your DS rather than your account, which is ridiculous.

I agree, but what does that have to do with a handheld redesign :confused:

Well, I'm relieved. I'm getting ready to buy a 3DS XL and I thought I had to worry about yet another 3DS makeover. I have no need for a "2DS". I did consider getting my mom a 3DS. Still may go with the 3DS, since the 2DS isn't that big a price difference.

Its like the PSP Go of this generation. Kinda pointless.

I like to class the PSP Go with the Virtual Boy in a league all their own.

Damn, was the PSP Go that big of a failure? I know it didn't last very long, but not like VB nuclear bomb level.

The 2DS just looks horrible. A 3DS you cant close. The design doesnt look appealing at all and its a weird shaped device. It just seems like bad business to have 3 variations of the handheld on the market.

As for the PSP Go, IDA that it was pointless. The thing was well designed and functional. I will always say the main thing against it was the price. Sony priced it too high and kept that price up, while having it along side the regular PSP which was like 70-80 cheaper. I think had it launched around $170ish, it would have fared better than $250 which most people couldnt justify. At least with this 2DS, Nintendo has created it to make it more affordable to people. If it had been like $50 more expensive than the 3DS, it would have been more of a head scratcher.

Damn, was the PSP Go that big of a failure? I know it didn't last very long, but not like VB nuclear bomb level.
No bc being a PSP, it still had support and had a large library to back it up. It wasnt like some isolated failure that one couldnt get any use out of with the VB which recieved virtually little support outside of the initial Nintendo wave following launch. One could own a PSPGo and be very satisifed with the past, present and future titles they could utilize on the platform, not to mention its extra roles as a portable media device to listen to music, watch movies and browse the internet

Last edited:
The 2DS is actually just one big screen like an iPad, that simulates the dual screen setup. Once I learned that I understood why it can't close. It's a cost cutting measure. Or maybe also a testbed for the acceptance of a future Nintendo tablet system. The only good thing about the 2DS is the price as it takes a whole lot of steps back (or sideways) from what the DS and 3DS was.

Uh, the 2DS is a redesign, not a new handheld. How can it be a step back? Unless you just mean the design and well, that's in the eye of the beholder. I don't think going from a flip device to a non-flip is some kind of inherit step back for anything.

Well, not having 3D on a 3D platform is a step back, IMO.

Eh, it's not like 3D was ever really a particularly essential thing. It can be cool, yeah, but I never found it to be a core aspect of the thing to be honest. Also, he mentioned the DS, which didn't have 3D.

The 2ds looks cool to me. It seems like it will be more comfortable to hold. And the lack of 3d is a plus to me. I might check out a demo version at the store to see if I do like how it handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"