Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your blog could have been written by a child. :)

Radagast looks fine in that pic. I really hope they don't turn him into an idiot though.

Anyway... I'm reading through the appendices of RotK and so far I've found 6/7 pages of useful stuff about the Dwarves history and the Quest for Erebor. And there's even a ten lines paragraph about the White Council!

Is this the incredibly rich material that Jackson plans to use to fill the 3rd movie?

Your guys debate actually put me to sleep

Your blog could have been written by a child. :)

xAJpC.gif

That grainy ass gif takes me back.

Yeah Cameron said it was as simple as a firmware update to the digital projectors.

Not entirely.
If you do some googling there are costs involved. Somewhere around 50 thousand per projector.

They're crazy if they ever fathomed charging for that 48fps was gonna fly.

Exactly.

Personally i think this stuff backfired on PJ big time. I dunno just how much PJ doing work on 48fps but with Cameron you know he takes a scientific approach to developing his technology. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron would wind up shooting the Avatar sequels in 60 fps .

When Cameron showed his camera test to the audiences , the 60 fps or more specifically the 60 fps SLO-MO test really got the best reaction from the audience.

Did anybody order this?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Unex...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1345475902&sr=1-4

Published in advance of the amazing new movie by Peter Jackson, this is the OFFICIAL Hobbit Annual, packed with stills, characters and information from the movie sensation.

Join Bilbo Baggins on his unexpected journey across the wilds of Middle-earth with Gandalf the Wizard and a company of thirteen Dwarves!

This Annual is the ideal gift for all Hobbit and movie fans. Full of character profiles, Hobbit activities and information, this is the perfect companion to the blockbuster movie.
It's 64 pages long and the publication date is listed as August 30th.

The crown is nice, but I would like there to have been a more "seasonal" aspect to his costume. I always think of the Sylvan Elves wearing spring flowers or Autumn leaves in their clothing.

His eyebrows are absolutely terrifying. Methinks he is not a natural blonde.

I think he looks great actually. I love the crown.

He is giving me Loki vibes for some reason though.

I think that might be a product of PJ's habit of making any "hostile" character appear somewhat monstrous.

I am looking forward to seeing Thranduil's abode. In the book, it had many features in common with a classic medieval castle. I think it should have a more solid feel than the art nouveau Rivendell or the Ewokish Lothlorien.

I think that might be a product of PJ's habit of making any "hostile" character appear somewhat monstrous.

I am looking forward to seeing Thranduil's abode. In the book, it had many features in common with a classic medieval castle. I think it should have a more solid feel than the art nouveau Rivendell or the Ewokish Lothlorien.
I really hope they stay away from this when desining The Necromancer, the more beautiful an evil character looks, the more evil he feels.

I really hope they stay away from this when desining The Necromancer, the more beautiful an evil character looks, the more evil he feels.

Was Sauron supposed to appear beautiful when posing as the necromancer?

No idea actually, but since he was suppose appear as this long haird fair blond, in the last LOTR-film, I hope they take inspiration from that and make it his bodily form. I'll take that any day instead of a giant dark spike knight uniform.

Was Sauron supposed to appear beautiful when posing as the necromancer?

Yeah, the race he belongs to may as well have looked like hotter elves. Yes, I know what I just said. :o

No, I think his ability to appear seductive in the physical sphere was stopped after the destruction of Numenor.

That is not to say that Sauron should appear as a braying metal beast, however. He is a paramount intelligence. At this stage he has been humiliated, and he is hiding from the world. I imagine him as a semi-corporeal form, old and wizened, perhaps hiding his face behind a mask or hood. In fact, I can picture him as something between a Spanish Inquisitor, an evil druid and the Green Knight of Arthurian legend.

Edit: Something like this:

Necromancer.png

But with a mask like this:

45-mask_eye_mask_barocco_grifone_bronze.jpg

Over green silk.

I doubt this is what PJ will go for, however. If he applies the same creative process to the Necromancer as he did to the Mouth of Sauron, then the former will probably appear as a twenty foot tall ogre with four heads and Wolverine style claws.

Last edited:
Yeah, the race he belongs to may as well have looked like hotter elves. Yes, I know what I just said. :o

Well, he wasn't really a "race" was he? He's the same thing as Gandalf, a Meier, which were essentially angels in the LOTR world. They were one step below the Valor.

So I suppose they could choose to appear more beautiful then elves if they wished, but they're basically spirits.

No, I think his ability to appear seductive in the physical sphere was stopped after the destruction of Numenor.

That is not to say that Sauron should appear as a braying metal beast, however. He is a paramount intelligence. At this stage he has been humiliated, and he is hiding from the world. I imagine him as a semi-corporeal form, old and wizened, perhaps hiding his face behind a mask or hood. In fact, I can picture him as something between a Spanish Inquisitor, an evil druid and the Green Knight of Arthurian legend.

Edit: Something like this:

Necromancer.png

But with a mask like this:

45-mask_eye_mask_barocco_grifone_bronze.jpg

Over green silk.

I doubt this is what PJ will go for, however. If he applies the same creative process to the Necromancer as he did to the Mouth of Sauron, then the former will probably appear as a twenty foot tall ogre with four heads and Wolverine style claws.

I wouldn't mind something a little more subtle this time either. I actually liked the giant spike beast look for Sauron in LOTR, but that was a Sauron that was in full battle mode. He wanted to intimidate and frighten his enemies. I agree that it wouldn't be appropriate for him to adopt a similar look during his years in hiding.

Again, Sauron's ability to appear beautiful was removed after the fall of Numenor. Prior to that, he had an ability to tempt and deceive people, of which his appearance was a part.

Again, Sauron's ability to appear beautiful was removed after the fall of Numenor. Prior to that, he had an ability to tempt and deceive people, of which his appearance was a part.

I forgot about that. It's been a while since I've read anything besides the LOTR.

I would be interested to see how his true form would appear then. Did he gain his power to alter his appearance after he starting gaining power back during the LOTR saga? If not, then I suppose Jackson meant his true form to be the giant spike beast.

I think the spike beast must have been destroyed when Isildur took the ring. I have a suspicion that PJ thought the eye of flame was literally Sauron after that, but let's give him credit and assume that Sauron rebuilt some sort of physical form that was waiting, in a black chamber in Baradur, for his moment of triumph.

I presume Sauron is able to give himself physical form when he is able to conjure up fortresses and gather armies- a bit like Dracula in Castlevania. So, he should be at least partly physical in The Hobbit. He can't be physically beautiful, but he might want to be at that point, which is why I imagine wearing rich robes and a decorative mask.

It's not the height, it's the overall look and body structure.

A very short man is still a man; but make him stocky and sturdy, give him a large beard and a big nose and you have a classic fantasy Dwarf.
Also sounds like a stocky, sturdy, very short man with a large beard and a big nose. :woot:

I agree with you completely on your last point.

It would actually be a sound business venture for theaters to offer whole-screen bookings at a reduced rate. I can easily imagine Middle Earth fans clubbing together to book a screen for a LOTR/Hobbit midnight marathon.

As films attain maturity after their initial release, and attendance dwindles, theaters could move them to smaller screens and charge less for entry.

They might make more $ in the long run.
I'd love to see it at a fan only showing & sure they could make this happen.

23E2c.jpg

Love the crown!

He instantly reminded me of this guy...

nuada460.jpg
Likely 'cause both are awesome!

I don't see the resemblance, but the crown does have a more Del-Toro-ish look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"