Official 'The Hobbit' Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_m9ko2cBEei1qm1p0zo1_1280.jpg

Thranduil3.jpg

Shouldn't Celeborn be there as well?

Thranduil is amazing. The actor, the costume, even the weird crown, he's perfect. Love the Halls too.

The White Council on the other hand... where's Radagast? Cirdan? Celeborn? Erestor? And what about poor Glorfindel? It seems like Jackson just hates the guy, lol.

I think the White Council might have been a bit like the UK's Supreme Court: twelve law lords belong to it, but they hardly ever all meet. I reason that the White Council might be said to be in session if it includes maybe five or six of its members, or at least the key figures.

I think that Celeborn really should be there if his wife has turned up, though!

Personally, I think that picture takes place before the full White Council takes place. To me it looks like Gandalf is just presenting evidence of the Necromancer's presence, thus creating the need for them to call a council.

I'm afraid that is Sting on the table, which indicates that Bilbo is given it rather than finding it at the Troll's lair.

Not as annoying as Aragorn's surrender of Narsil to Rivendell Metropolitan Museum, but I still don't like it.

I'm afraid that is Sting on the table, which indicates that Bilbo is given it rather than finding it at the Troll's lair.

Not as annoying as Aragorn's surrender of Narsil to Rivendell Metropolitan Museum, but I still don't like it.

In the teaser you see Bilbo unsheathing Sting with a look of wonder on his face. I think that is when he finds it but i could be wrong. That sword on the table kind of looks like a Nazgul short sword like Frodo was stabbed with. Im on my phone so i could be wrong about that too lol.

Looks to be a morgul blade to me. Plus we see Bilbo finding Sting at the Trollshaws in the trailer.

I think the spike beast must have been destroyed when Isildur took the ring. I have a suspicion that PJ thought the eye of flame was literally Sauron after that, but let's give him credit and assume that Sauron rebuilt some sort of physical form that was waiting, in a black chamber in Baradur, for his moment of triumph.

I presume Sauron is able to give himself physical form when he is able to conjure up fortresses and gather armies- a bit like Dracula in Castlevania. So, he should be at least partly physical in The Hobbit. He can't be physically beautiful, but he might want to be at that point, which is why I imagine wearing rich robes and a decorative mask.
Gollum specifically says that Sauron is missing a finger from the hand the Ring was cut from, so he physically manifested when Gollum was tortured.
But when in doubt, go to Tolkien himself:

"Sauron should be thought of as very terrible.
The form that he took was that of a man of
more than human stature, but not
gigantic."

He lost the ability to appear fair when Eru destroyed Numenor which Sauron was caught up in. Then again when the Ring was cut from his hand he lost so much power that he reverted to spirit form until he could regain his strength years later as the Necromancer.

Yes. That seems to compatible with what we said. Thanks for getting the source.

Considering Marton Csokas hasn't been credited as starring, and that there's been no casting for Cirdan this late in production, I really wouldn't hold out any hope of Celeborn or Cirdan being present.

Unless anything substantial with the White Council happens in movie 3 and that changes.

Last edited:
Figures that the character I'm most looking forward to seeing is being kept under wraps. Give me Beorn, goddamnit :csad:.

As for Thranduil, I like Lee Pace, but those eyebrows just do not work with that bleach-blonde hair.

As for Thranduil, I like Lee Pace, but those eyebrows just do not work with that bleach-blonde hair.
Yeah, they're kinda distracting. Legolas had them too, but they were thinner.

But overall I think he looks great, thick eyebrows aside.

Is that Bard on top?
No... that's Kili.
Kili the Dunadwarf. :rimshot:

Last edited:
Wow thranduil looks fantastic even with the dark eyebrows and he's easily recognizable as legolas's father. They resemble each other quite a bit,(and not because they're both elves and blond) the biggest difference is that thranduil has an air of arrogance that legolas doesn't.

That picture of Kili is badass! Can not wait for this movie!

I like his sword.

It looks like a novelty letter opener, but at least it isn't (quite) a scimitar.

I love the look of the King of Mirkwood lol. He is the father of Legolas. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"