Official Thor Casting Thread

Discussion in 'Thor' started by Penguin, Oct 27, 2006.

?

For Asgard!

1. Kevin McKidd

2. Alexander Skarsgard

3. Brad Pitt

4. Karl Urban

5. Gerard Butler

6. Viggo Mortensen

7. Scott Speedman

8. Henry Cavill

9. Dominic Purcell

10. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau

11. Armie Hammer

12. Johann Urb

13. Jared Padalecki

14. Jake Gyllenhaal

15. Kenneth Branagh

16. Rusell Crowe

17. Daniel Craig

18. Ryan McPartlin

19. Other

20. The Techno Viking

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nokio Registered

Yeah he looks pretty good for Thor, but what about acting? As far as size
    goes he's a good enough height and he can put on some weight. I'd say 20 or 30 ponds at the most, the guy doesn't have to be huge, this is the movies people. He doesn't have to be the size of Thor in the comics. I'd say about Routh's size in Superman at least with probably 10-15 pounds more, but Routh wasn't all that big to me.

Then again at almost 6'4 the guy's pretty tall so maybe 40-50 pounds. I didn't think about the height issue, cause when you're tall 10 or 20 pounds more of weight doesn't make yoou look that much bigger. My cousin is 6'4 and he put on 20 pounds going to the gym, and|I swear you could babrly tell, so maybe 40 or 50 would be better.

2. Nokio Registered

Karl Urban just doesn't cut it for me. His height isn't the issue, cause 6'2 is fine. Urban's a good enough actor, but I just keep seeing that dark hair, and a wig or dye job is just unsettling. I just can't picture him blonde, his hair looks to be to dark to pull a dye job, or unless the studio pulls a Human Torch like with Evans who isn't remotly blonde then I say no.

I think some leway needs to be given in the looks dept. I mean really people, a good enough actor with the right looks and build and at 6'7? Doubtful, not saying impossiable, just doubtful. I'm not sure of Thor's actual height, but he's pretty tall.

3. jrpstarwars Registered

Yeah, and just because someone can throw a baseball 95 mph, hit the ball 400 feet, and run a 4.4 40 doesn't mean they should play ball either.:whatever:

4. GL1 It's pronounced "glee"

Well the thing is, just about ALL actors will have to bulk up for Thor... someone being not-quite-big enough to play Thor now is a problem that can be fixed, just like being the wrong hair color or whatever.

That said, in an ensemble movie where Thor was going to just have that classic Thor attitude - character development, then I'd say bring on HHH. But for a Thor-centric movie, where Thor has a personal journey to go on, HHH just can't cut it, acting wise.

As for the young guy for the female audience, I don't buy that. Yes, getting a young attractive man is one way to get mainstream, but there is a more matured form of suaveness (see James Bond) that brings everyone out in droves as well, including the women. Thor does not need to be on preteens walls in order to make 300 M in the box office.

I'd say get someone older, say, if Pathfinder has some standouts, and mature to play this diety who's been around for years. It's just more credibile than the alternative...

5. Mad Bull Registered

Not to mention he's kinda weird looking. Isn't Thor supposed to be handsome? I would kind of assume so, seeing as he's a god and everything.

6. Mr. Green Where the Wild Hulks Are

Karl Urban just isn't big enough. Hulk is ripped, and stronger than hell. He can go toe to toe with Hulk. He even has the potential to beat Hulk. So he has to be a pretty big dude.

But don't get me wrong, I don't want a freakin' wrestler to play Thor. I just want someone who is big and can act.

7. Mad Bull Registered

Nobody comes to mind. I really think we need a new face for this role.

8. vibeke_T Registered

How about The Rock in White Face?

9. jrpstarwars Registered

You wuss. You probably want new faces for your parents too.

10. Upper_Krust Registered

Hey GL1! :)

Changing the actor's hair colour is bound to look atrocious. For the sake of just getting a blond actor for goodness sake. :whatever:

By 'ensemble movie' I presume you mean the Avengers?

Mature suaveness is going to be difficult to get across when you are dressed like a viking flying around modern day Ney York.

Every little helps. Why alienate a demographic when you don't need to?

Thos is meant to be young and naive by Asgardian standards, so I fail to see how getting someone old and mature is the key here.

11. Upper_Krust Registered

Hi Nokio! :)

Still can't say. I am sure hes as good as Routh for whatever thats worth. :oldrazz:

I suppose he looks about 210 or so at the moment. So I think 250-260 would probably be a good weight considering his height.

12. Mad Bull Registered

What the hell? Wuss? Do you even know what that means? I think some elabration is in order. (That means tell everyone what you meant by that.) That really didn't make any sense at all.

13. Still A ThorFan Registered

Edward Norton put on 30lbs of muscle for his role in American History X. I think if Karl Urban could do the same on top of what he has now, he could be just right.

Not only that, I think it would be an easier sell if Karl Urban is in the title role as to an unknown. I mean if I had it my way it would be an unknown, mainly from Europe, but then again the movie has to make money, so you need the right guy to market.

14. Mad Bull Registered

Is Urban well known? I didn't even know his name before I came to this thread, only his face.

15. Iceburgeruk Registered

If its a choice between a musclue bound, giant guy with no-acting talent and a slightly under-the-muscle-size Karl Urban. I`d go with Urban. Which would you rather have the character or the look? Vinnie Jones looked like juggernaut but he was awful in x-men 3 and didn`t sound at all threatening with his one liner.

I say have a bulked up Karl as thor and maybe even go further and have the other suggestion Edward Norton as loki. I think that could work.

16. tamron Registered

I like Karl Urban, but he's not the second coming of Brando or anything. He can be out acted. Thor is supposed to be 6'6", a big brawny warrior. There's got to be an actor who can appear to be that large on screen. The unknown route is the way to go with Thor, IMHO.

Besides, the less you pay the lead, the more money you have to go towards the budget, and I think we can all agree that a Thor film done right will not be cheap.

Call it a hunch, but I don't think Ed Norton would want to be Loki. Sean Bean would be good. Maybe Aaron Eckhart?

17. Iceburgeruk Registered

True but like Gary Oldman I think Sean Bean wants to get away from the villain roles. He`s been in that typecast niche since Goldeneye so it seems fair enough that he wants to do other things.

Pity though Gary Oldman would make a good loki as well. I wonder what unique authentic accent he would use? hmm....

18. Penguin Guest

Tyler Mane.

19. Still A ThorFan Registered

He looks like crap now, please.

20. Still A ThorFan Registered

Gary Oldman?! He's 5'9 And Would Have To Take Steroids To Play The Role.

21. Taiwarriorz21 Registered

One thing is 4sure is that he must know how to act and must be quite blunky!

22. nocomics Registered

I can see where someone would say brad pitt(Troy,he looked the part). I got a suggestion, what about Dolph Lundgren(guy from rocky 4,universal soldier,punisher)..Though he might be on the old side,and not sure how much hes stayed in shape..

23. Mad Bull Registered

Guys, I had an interesting idea yesterday. I was watching Kingdom of Heaven and, thought Jouko Ahola might fit the bill.

[​IMG]

Jouko is the guy in the middle. If anyone can find a better pic of him with those blonde braids, that would be great. He's a former World's Strongest Man Champ, so he's definitely got the build, if nothing else.

24. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

found these (without beard)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. Mad Bull Registered

Yeah, I was looking for pics where he was Odo in Kingdom of Heaven. He looks kinda cheesy in "Invincible", :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.