Official Trailer VS Fan Trailer: Who Got It Right?

Daybreak_st

Old-School Comic Cool
Reaction score
So i had to do this. I couldn't help but compare the new official trailer that was revealed last night with a fan made trailer from last year featuring Nathan Fillion as GL. Which do you think has a better tone for a live action GL film?

This

[YT]_hTiRnqnvDs[/YT]

or the official trailer:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/110686-the-green-lantern-trailer-is-online

Judge for yourselves folks but i can't help feel like the fan trailer captured the Epic feel i associate with GL more so than the official trailer. Now the movie may still be fantastic and i'm hoping it is, but the editing just didn't hit the same cord with me as the fan trailer.

Last edited:
So i had to do this. I couldn't help but compare the new official trailer that was revealed last night with a fan made trailer from last year featuring Nathan Fillion as GL. Which do you think has a better tone for a live action GL film?

This

[YT]_hTiRnqnvDs[/YT]

or the official trailer:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/110686-the-green-lantern-trailer-is-online

Judge for yourselves folks but i can't help feel like the fan trailer captured the Epic feel i associate with GL more so than the official trailer. Now the movie may still be fantastic and i'm hoping it is, but the editing just didn't hit the same cord with me as the fan trailer.

The official trailer is better. Sorry but I never liked the fan trailer. It's ambitious but it's kind of jumbled without a real narrative string to pull it together.

The official trailer is better. Sorry but I never liked the fan trailer. It's ambitious but it's kind of jumbled without a real narrative string to pull it together.

Really? I guess i can see that it just has a great epic vibe to it, it teases you more of the possibilities instead of showing you everything up front. Abin Sur's voice over and the other VO add to the epic feel much more so than anything i saw in the official trailer. Just overall better editing for me.

PS. Love your Supergirl comic.

Nathan Fillion would have been a much better Green Lantern then Ryan Renolds! I feel the fan trailer is more on grand scale! I do plan on seeing the movie but not on opening night.

Fan trailer was quite interesting and very well done.. but it was boring as hell and too full of it self it seemed. I like the music tho. I would have wanted that music with the official trailer.

but all in all, official was better.

Really? I guess i can see that it just has a great epic vibe to it, it teases you more of the possibilities instead of showing you everything up front. Abin Sur's voice over and the other VO add to the epic feel much more so than anything i saw in the official trailer. Just overall better editing for me.
That might be because they spend as much time and effort on 2 minutes in the fan trailer as the studio has done making a full movie. The fan trailer (and don't get me wrong, I love the fan trailer) uses scenes and audio from a couple dozen different sources and has special made effects just for it.

Fan trailer was quite interesting and very well done.. but it was boring as hell and too full of it self it seemed. I like the music tho. I would have wanted that music with the official trailer.

but all in all, official was better.

It was the music from Batman Begins....used to elicit a subliminal emotional response from comic book fans.

It was the music from Batman Begins....used to elicit a subliminal emotional response from comic book fans.
ah, I knew I was being brainwashed, just couldn't pinpoint where from :p

I still would have wanted a orchestral score to the official trailer instead of rock-music though

That might be because they spend as much time and effort on 2 minutes in the fan trailer as the studio has done making a full movie. The fan trailer (and don't get me wrong, I love the fan trailer) uses scenes and audio from a couple dozen different sources and has special made effects just for it.

That is a good point. Still the thought that some random fan can grab bits and pieces from other films and still manage to pull together a more epic trailer than a well paid studio who custom made everything...well that just kind of sad to me. I get that visually the official trailer is better, obviously the quality is better. But the tone and feel or the fan trailer just give me a better vibe that would make me want to see the film more, it has a better hook in my opinion. The offical trailer shows a lot of stuff but that's it, not much of a hook, nothing too epic, no emotional resonance...it's just there and then it's done.

Teaser and trailer are two different things. The next official trailer will be epic I have a feeling. That being said, the fan trailer is very well done.

Most of it was actually the music from the second Star Trek trailer.

Nathan Fillion would have been a much better Green Lantern then Ryan Renolds!

People keep saying this, and I honestly don't know why. Fillion seems to be a popular choice among fans given the fact that he's already done a lot of genre stuff fans have gravitated to. But even looking at that stuff, I honestly don't see him being infinitely more suited to play the character. Not that I'd be against him playing the character, but the idea that he'd have been so much better doesn't really compute with me. And this is someone who is a fan of his work.

This comparison may have been relevant when all we had was the quick goofball ET edit.
Not anymore.
Now that we have the full blown HD Trailer, there is absolutely no comparison.
The HD version blows the fan trailer completely away.
Not just in visuals and effects, but in setting up the characters, inner strugle, mood, drama and pathos of what’s to come, It’s got the set up, the action, and still the romance and a sense of humor. Without giving it all away either, which I wouldn't want.
This is just the first, with hints of whats to come.

Last edited:
Ok yes of course the effects are going to better come on, but seriously, as far as the feeling the trailers ilicit, the fan cut one is far better. IMHO of course

someone should combine the two in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok i finally saw the trailer in HD and withdraw most of my complaints, it does look infinitley better than i thought from seeing lower quality footage, especially that finally shot of him suiting up in front of his buddy. Looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than i thought :yay:

The problem with a lot of fan trailers is that you only really get an approximation of what you're trying to illicit.

Example
Fan Trailer: Shot of what is supposed to be Abin Sur in the woods dying, cut to Nathan Fillion as the fan's Hal Jordan, asleep in his bed, and getting the ring tossed at his head.

Real Trailer: Hal finding Abin Sur, both of them in a single shot together, and Hal's confusion and shock at encountering an alien being, coupled with concern for that being, as it's clearly dying.

This is kind of an important moment, and the fan trailer doesn't really reflect it. There's easily more emotional resonance in the scene of Hal w/ Abin, and giving him the ring face-to-face.

And oddly enough, the fans complaining about the scene with him and Tom at the end of the official trailer, and the fan trailer ends in somewhat similar fashion. And it's honestly out of place compared to how everything else in the fan trailer is presented. It's completely anomalous.

I hate fan trailers. I just can't stand it when someone acts as if their fan trailer is the real trailer,this one is so blatantly fake that it's painful imo.

that fan trailer was cool like... a year or two ago when it came out but now that we have ACTUAL green lantern stuff, it's not that great.

The official trailer is better.

The official trailer, obviously.

The Fan Trailer is VERY well done but c'mon, guys... Really?!

The official trailer, obviously.

The Fan Trailer is VERY well done but c'mon, guys... Really?!

Yes really, but that was before i saw the official trailer in HD, my complaints are silenced now.

Fan trailer is hands down better and nails the tone perfectly. The official one looks like a film trying very hard to be Iron Man with Fantastic Four style effects. People that prefer it are as deluded those that defend Superman Returns.

I liked both. Where's the option for both? :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"