Official UFC Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I think Shogun exerted a lot of energy into taking Vera down. I agree with whoever said Shogun needs a new strength and conditioning coach.

poor bader machida stole his soul
uspw_6452246.jpg

^Wow! hahahaha

Bader was like a gift for Machida.. Lyoto couldn't have ask for a better match up style wise. All around it was a fun card to watch.

-------

some good stuff from Dana.
[YT]G6EXrrxGGbY&list[/YT]

Last edited:
^very true and f i am honest stylistically shogun always had a tougher fight

while bader is higher ranked

vera is a very good technical mt striker with a greco wrestling background and a bjj brown belt

I like Benson Henderson's Taekwondo kicks! :awesome: Hope he keeps the belt tomorrow night.

Yeah, I think Shogun exerted a lot of energy into taking Vera down. I agree with whoever said Shogun needs a new strength and conditioning coach.
He needs to call up Rafael Cordeiro and apologize and do another camp at Kings MMA. Cordeiro says Shogun doesn't want to train hard.

I think if Shogun wants to be able to challenge some of these aggressive wrestlers at light heavyweight like Rashad Evans or even Jon Jones again he's going to need to work with like the Marinovich brothers or something.

He needs to call up Rafael Cordeiro and apologize and do another camp at Kings MMA. Cordeiro says Shogun doesn't want to train hard.

I think if Shogun wants to be able to challenge some of these aggressive wrestlers at light heavyweight like Rashad Evans or even Jon Jones again he's going to need to work with like the Marinovich brothers or something.

Yeah. I think a big reason for Shogun not training hard is cause he has reconstructed knees. But I think he should move to the US. It seems like he makes the training center around him and to his strengths. He needs to get out of that comfort zone.

I have Edgar winning tomorrow night. I think he finishes the fight within the time.

CrypticOne, I mean he looked good for the first fight with Machida and the rematch with Griffin where he did train with Kings MMA and Rafael Cordeiro again.

I mean I think he could've beaten Henderson if he had better cardio and stamina that he's had before.

Melvin Guillard didn't make weight for the Cerrone fight, surprising. He had a pretty quick turnaround from his last fight so maybe he should've sat this one out. I'm sure UFC will give him some leeway since he sort of bailed them out to give them a big co-main event here.

I think this is an easy fight for Cerrone anyway. Guillard is lost on the ground and Cerrone has a nasty ground game. I see him finishing it within the first round via submission. Guillard really needs to go back to Jacksons after this fight. He needs to work on that ground game.

Even though my picks were 4-1, I have to disagree with the outcome of the main event. Close fight like last time, but as with the first I think that one guy got the better of the other enough to win. That Cerrone/Guillard fight was intense though. Short as hell, but intense. lol

Dude....what. the. hell. Frankie Edgar won that fight. I gave him rounds 2, 3, 4, and 5. There's no way Bendo won that. What a robbery.

all i know is ben probably has the worst stand up of any current champ

diaz is gonna light him up standing

Ben is a bad matchup for Diaz. He's a guy who throws a lot of kicks, and he's got a really good wrestling game. Diaz has improved a ton, but he's still very susceptible to kicks. I think Bendo is going to really do him in with a lot of kicks.

Henderson/Edgar fight was close, what I mean by close is that there was very few things that separated each individual round. However personally, I think it was a poor decision from my own perspective. I felt Edgar had won the 2nd, 4th & 5th rounds. The 3rd round could have went either way I feel, however even if you gave it to Henderson I still felt Edgar had done enough in 3 other rounds to get the nod.

I find it hard to describe the bout as a robbery considering I know it was a close fight, but at the same time through my own eyes it can't be called anything else because I felt Edgar won clearly.. :O

The ironic thing is, this fight was even closer than the first one, this one warrants an instant rematch more than the first.

Shocked that Donald Cerrone managed to put away Melvin Guillard first & foremost, but even more shocked in the manner he did it ie recovering after getting hurt badly with a left hook & by actually KO'ing him. Melvin hurting him caused him to get reckless I felt, he was hurt but when Melvin was coming in to finish he didn't land anything truly that followed up the first punch.

Shields & Herman was probably the most low key fight of the main card, went how I thought it would, Herman fought a brain-dead fight by trying to grapple with Shields in the first place. I'm surprised Shields didn't submit him.

Okami/Roberts was a good bout, Okami was getting worked in the stand-up & rightfully decided to try to take him down & beat on him. Roberts looked dangerous though in the 1st, looks very explosive with his strikes.

Edgar/Henderson was close but I can see it going to Bendo by way of rounds 1, 3, and 4.

I wouldn't call it a robbery. And honestly, Edgar IMHO didn't deserve this rematch. Bendo I thought soundly won the first fight. Edgar got a huge gift here. He didn't do enough and he played it safe. His style is a points/decision style and IMHO he only has himself to blame because he never wants to take a lot of risks. He never tried to transition when he had Bendo on the ground or in a headlock or scramble and try to get his back. He was content to try and hold on to his chin where Bendo wasn't in danger and try to get his points that way.

You play the points game and live by the points, you die by the points. To me, Edgar won a bad decision the first time over Penn. Penn lost the rematch soundly so whatever move on.

It was so annoying they held up the division so much with rematches, so I hope Bendo/Diaz will still happen this year. I think they are thinking to maybe put it on the Fox card in December or maybe New Year's Eve.

Dana White also said Cain Velasquez/JDS will have the next heavyweight title fight before the end of the year. Overeem's BS on MMA Uncensored Live was all BS.

I wouldn't call it a robbery. And honestly, Edgar IMHO didn't deserve this rematch. Bendo I thought soundly won the first fight. Edgar got a huge gift here.

Personally, I felt the only reason Henderson got the decision the first time round was because if you looked at Edgar's face you'd have thought he was given the beating of a lifetime.

However in truth, from what I can recall of the fight from memory I think it was a 3-2 fight.

He got the rematch because the first fight was a close one & the fact that he had to do 2 back to back rematches against guys that he arguably beat convincingly the first time round.

He didn't do enough and he played it safe. His style is a points/decision style and IMHO he only has himself to blame because he never wants to take a lot of risks. He never tried to transition when he had Bendo on the ground or in a headlock or scramble and try to get his back. He was content to try and hold on to his chin where Bendo wasn't in danger and try to get his points that way.

Disagree completely. If Edgar hurts or drops someone, he is all over them before they've even hit the ground. The problem is believe it or not, weight.

Edgar is outweighed by pretty much every LW on fight night by a good 15lbs+. It's noticeable when he is fighting at LW that his punches & kicks just don't have the same sort of power/force behind them as when he gets tagged.

So he fights to his strengths, he's faster than 95% of the LW's & because he doesn't cut weight he usually is much better conditioned. There are speed fighters & there are power fighters, Edgar is a speed fighter.

The reason he didn't try to transition when he had Hendo's neck was because... well because he had Hendo's neck. He tried for a choke a couple of times & also tried to flop down to drag Hendo to the ground a few times... and theres the fact he was in a dominant position to land some knees, which he also did a few times. Very few guys would try to transition to take someone's back if they already have hold of their opponents neck.. particularly a wrestler.

I think that we could possibly get Edgar vs. Aldo out of this. People keep pushing for Edgar to move down to featherweight. In the past it made sense for him to stay where he was, and in a way you could still say that. He's still a great fighter at the very top of his division, but he seems to really want to hold the title again. It would be very interesting to see him take on Aldo early next year after Aldo is back and has already defended against Koch in October. If Edgar stays at lightweight it makes sense considering how good he is, but I think he'll be more inclined to move down now that he's lost twice to the champ.

Edgar/Henderson was close but I can see it going to Bendo by way of rounds 1, 3, and 4.

I wouldn't call it a robbery. And honestly, Edgar IMHO didn't deserve this rematch. Bendo I thought soundly won the first fight. Edgar got a huge gift here. He didn't do enough and he played it safe. His style is a points/decision style and IMHO he only has himself to blame because he never wants to take a lot of risks. He never tried to transition when he had Bendo on the ground or in a headlock or scramble and try to get his back. He was content to try and hold on to his chin where Bendo wasn't in danger and try to get his points that way.

You play the points game and live by the points, you die by the points. To me, Edgar won a bad decision the first time over Penn. Penn lost the rematch soundly so whatever move on.

It was so annoying they held up the division so much with rematches, so I hope Bendo/Diaz will still happen this year. I think they are thinking to maybe put it on the Fox card in December or maybe New Year's Eve.

Dana White also said Cain Velasquez/JDS will have the next heavyweight title fight before the end of the year. Overeem's BS on MMA Uncensored Live was all BS.

You think Bendo won that first fight against Edgar?! In my opinion, Edgar is 2-0 against Bendo, with the first fight being the closest on points. The only round I gave Bendo last night was the first. He came out strong with those leg kicks, but then faded away from that. In the second round Bendo gets dropped, and in my opinion, Edgar won every striking exchange against Bendo last night. He was the busier fighter. Putting combinations together, controlling Bendo on the ground.

Hopefully Bendo comes back again this year to defend his title, but I doubt it. He usually likes 4-5 months in between fights. Which sucks for Nate cause the last time he fought was in March, I wanna say. They probably set this fight in January.

Personally, I felt the only reason Henderson got the decision the first time round was because if you looked at Edgar's face you'd have thought he was given the beating of a lifetime.

However in truth, from what I can recall of the fight from memory I think it was a 3-2 fight.

He got the rematch because the first fight was a close one & the fact that he had to do 2 back to back rematches against guys that he arguably beat convincingly the first time round.

Disagree completely. If Edgar hurts or drops someone, he is all over them before they've even hit the ground. The problem is believe it or not, weight.

Edgar is outweighed by pretty much every LW on fight night by a good 15lbs+. It's noticeable when he is fighting at LW that his punches & kicks just don't have the same sort of power/force behind them as when he gets tagged.

So he fights to his strengths, he's faster than 95% of the LW's & because he doesn't cut weight he usually is much better conditioned. There are speed fighters & there are power fighters, Edgar is a speed fighter.

The reason he didn't try to transition when he had Hendo's neck was because... well because he had Hendo's neck. He tried for a choke a couple of times & also tried to flop down to drag Hendo to the ground a few times... and theres the fact he was in a dominant position to land some knees, which he also did a few times. Very few guys would try to transition to take someone's back if they already have hold of their opponents neck.. particularly a wrestler.
If the problem is weigh than it is time to cut.

145 lb he can probably make in a trip to the sauna. He already comes in to fights weighing under 155 lbs. He'd barely cut anything going to 145 lbs.

why should he drop he has taken down bj,maynard,ben with relative ease

ko'd maynard and dropped ben in both fights and out struck bj penn

he is fine i personally felt he was horribly robbed on sat. ben is the most beatable ufc champ by far

Yeah, I find it ridiculous that people are asking and telling Edgar to move down to 145. Why?! The dude holds his own at 155 and is the true champ of that division. I wasn't a big fan of his before the Penn fights but he is a great fighter whom I have much respect for. People telling him to move down is straight up disrespectful of him and his accomplishments. I hope he stays at 155.

If the problem is weigh than it is time to cut.

It's not a problem to the sense that he'd have to leave the division as we've seen against Penn, Maynard & Henderson he can beat all 3 of them & hang with the divisions best. I'm just telling you that the reason he fights like a squirrel hyped up on sugar is because he doesn't have the 1 punch KO power to knock guys out consistently that outweigh him by so much.

It might look like he is playing it safe & to a degree he was, however he wasn't running or backing up against Henderson or Maynard aside from when he'd been badly hurt. He was always on the front foot which is why Henderson used those leg kicks.

145 lb he can probably make in a trip to the sauna. He already comes in to fights weighing under 155 lbs. He'd barely cut anything going to 145 lbs.

He would have zero problems making 145lbs & the move would mean he'd be fighting guys a little closer to his natural weight on fight night... however dropping down a division also has it's disadvantages. He'd no longer be going into fights with a superior speed advantage & furthermore even cutting 10lbs can be draining enough on a fighter & hurt his conditioning.. something he also has which is better than I'd say any of the current LW's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"