Official UFC Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dos Anjos has suddenly thrown himself in the mix. Cerrone may have been off, but still got worked.

Cerrone looked like he didn't know what the hell to do. I don't even recognize him anymore. Definitely a gatekeeper in that division.

Great win for Condit. I think Kampmann had a bad gameplan with his wrestling offensive. Exhausted too much energy into that.

I hope Benson Henderson does work this weekend. He's one of my favorite fighters. Makes us hapas proud.

:up:

Only caught the Cerrone/Dos Anjos & Condit/Kampmann fight(s) last night. Cerrone is officially a gatekeeper of the LW division. He has the tools to be a top well rounded fighter in the weight class, but can never seem to put them all together consistently enough to catapult himself into contention.

Condit vs Kampmann was a fight I fancied Kampmann even though he was the underdog, however his performance reminded me of ironically Cerrone vs Diaz. What I mean is you would think watching that fight that Condit is the better striker by a country mile & he was fighting a wrestler that couldn't strike. Kampmann's striking looked like **** just as Cerrone's did against Diaz even though I'd arguably say both Cerrone & Kampmann are better strikers than the people they've been worked by.

Condit should have 1 more fight though before getting a title should presuming he wins, he's 1-2 in his last 3 fights, not the sort of form you should be getting a title shot with IMO.

Last edited:
Yup, Cerrone has sort of cemented his gatekeeper status at this point. I mean, think about this, the last two guys who beat him went on to get title shots against the champion, who Cerrone lost to twice in title bouts.

One thing I noticed about Condit last night was that he wasn't as "bouncy" as he usually is, so it helped him defend takedowns better. That's his big Achilles heel, and I think he having a more calm method is striking is going to work wonders. I like how he just picked Kampmann apart. Great stuff. I have to agree with Chael or Rashad, whoever said it last night, that Kampmann had a gameplan that was too easy to see by just trying to take Condit down and not much else.

Cerrone is a gatekeeper because he has a couple of faults. He is multidimensional in terms of being able to win the striking and grappling, but he's got bad boxing and wrestling. So while he can beat you in a variety of ways you can still edge him out since he has those two holes there. Dos Anjos did well, but I'm still upset my boy Dunham lost to him by a bad judges decision. It's not his fault, but I hate seeing one of my favorites lose and get stuck in the same spot like that.:angry:

As for this weekend, I think Benson takes it. I like Pettis a lot, but I think that Bendo will be better prepared this time.

I wonder if anyone in the world actually dislikes Carlos Condit, because I don’t think it’s possible. Disappointed in Cerrone’s loss, unfortunately his career is on the downward slope now, but can still be relied on for good scraps. Dos Anjos deserves a big fight now, he’s put together a good run.

Everyone is loving Condit now, but after the Diaz fight everyone was trashing Condit and hated him. I didn't think it was a bad fight or performance but the fans unjustly trashed Condit after that fight.

Tito Ortiz calling himself a slave in the UFC is a ****ing joke. I've lost a lot of respect for him.

The people trashing Condit were Diaz fans, and let's face it. Diaz fans are some of the dumbest fans in MMA. Sure there are some knowledgeable ones, but there are far too many vocal ones who spew stupid e-thug ****. Of course a lot of it comes from the Diaz brothers themselves. Nate gets knocked out, yet he says that Thompson was running from him and fighting like a girl.:whatever:

I'm not a Diaz fan & I trashed Condit for that performance, in fact going into it I wanted Condit to beat the crap out of Diaz. I thought Condit would have been the man to do it, sadly I was mistaken.

The reason Condit got hate was for his own reputation. He has/had a reputation of being an exciting, a fighter that goes after it & rarely takes a backwards step, then he got a wiff of GSP's title & all of a sudden he put a Gregg Jackson gameplan into play that completely killed the fight. People pay hard earned money to get tickets to these events or to watch them on PPV, when a guy has such a reputation & then spends the majority of the fight dancing or running from someone just to make sure they win, it pisses alot of people off.

My problem with Condit though is over, GSP gave him the tooling he deserved for the Diaz performance.

Beautiful win for Pettis! He made that look too easy!

Oh please, Condit played it safe to get to GSP. Many fighters have done the exact same thing (including GSP, Edgar, Nogueira, etc). So just stop. There's no reason for the BS that Condit received. Fans wanted to see a fight and Carlos wasn't interested in risking a loss (which has transpired thanks to his style). If you're gonna trash Carlos, then you might as well trash Bendo too. And what tooling are you talking about? Condit gave GSP his toughest test yet. He nearly TKOed him.

As for tonight, was there any doubt in the first place? Pettis is fast, technical, athletic, well-conditioned, possesses great BJJ and sharp/accurate striking. Like I said before regarding the Pettis-Aldo match up, you'd be a damn fool to make Pettis an underdog.

It was both awesome and anti-climatic when Pettis won. For a second I was just waiting for the tap, and then it just happened with a whimper. The crowd went silent, then roared. lol

Henderson's arm is probably fractured.

Yeah, I didn't know why people were favoring Bendo in this one. People really underestimate Pettis' ground game. Which isn't surprising since he's such a technical and explosive stand-up fighter, but trust me, that ground game of his is SICK! I really hope he isn't out for a long time and hope his knee is just bruised. Want to see him before year's out, but I don't expect that now. Hopefully Super Bowl weekend or something.

Dana just said Pettis’ knee popped in the fight and has no plans for a fight for him soon. I don’t want Silva/Jones or anything else. I want Pettis/Aldo.

Dana just said Pettis’ knee popped in the fight and has no plans for a fight for him soon. I don’t want Silva/Jones or anything else. I want Pettis/Aldo.

As much as I want to see Pettis/Aldo, I hope they stay in their divisions for a couple more fights. Both of those divisions are STACKED and I don't want them to be held up, but Aldo, I think needs to move up to lightweight anyway, I hear the weight cut gets more difficult each time.

aldo has 2 fights left at most in his division

lamas and mendes rematch

Oh please, Condit played it safe to get to GSP. Many fighters have done the exact same thing (including GSP, Edgar, Nogueira, etc). So just stop. There's no reason for the BS that Condit received. Fans wanted to see a fight and Carlos wasn't interested in risking a loss (which has transpired thanks to his style). If you're gonna trash Carlos, then you might as well trash Bendo too. And what tooling are you talking about? Condit gave GSP his toughest test yet. He nearly TKOed him.

Well I can't speak for everyone else, but I can speak for myself & I know the criticism I personally had for Condit after that performance was completely justified. You said it yourself, he played it safe, conservative & spent the majority of the fight running around in circles away from Diaz. The irony of the whole thing is if he'd fought the way he usually fights he probably would have definitively beat Diaz.

I was talking about the tooling GSP gave him for the entire fight. Outstruck, outgrappled, outworked & outclassed Condit for the entire bout giving him an impressive beating given he had been out for so long with an injury that could have ended him. Condit was no more of a challenge for GSP than anyone he has faced before, he got caught with a flush kick that dropped him, but he still came back & ended up beating Condit down for the remainder of that particular round if I recall correctly.

Pettis is a beast, some of those kicks he was throwing at Bendo to the body before the submission were absolutely savage. Henderson covered it up well because there is no doubt some of those must have busted him up.

Henderson will be back though, too well rounded not to make another run at the title. If he could add a little more bite to his hands so that his hands were even half as dangerous as his kicks, he'd be a much more unpredictable on the feet. I don't think Pettis was that worried about his hands, just his kicks, which can be equally as savage as Pettis's.

I love that Aldo/Pettis callout after that fight fell through, I believe somebody from Aldo's camp said that Pettis faked the knee injury to get out of that fight, I'm glad to see he has been offended by that. Aldo vs Pettis would be a crazy fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"