Days of Future Past Official X:FC Negative Reaction Thread

BoredGuy

Never Did a Popular Thing
Reaction score
I figure if Captain America gets a negative reaction page, then this film deserves one too...

Let me begin by saying how much it pains me to feel so negatively towards an X-men movie. I loved X1 and 2, and the X-men are the entire reason I read comics.
But then came X3, and that stunning disappointment of a film. So much potential, with great trailers that got us all hyped, and then... that POS was released and we had been duped. Wolverine was much the same. Great director, great cast, super simple story to adapt. And then..well.. you all know how that went.

Now, we have a trailer that doesn't do a damn thing for me, with numerous d-list characters, on a extra-rushed production schedule. As I seem to be the only one here really hating on this thing, I thought I would attempt to elucidate my points of contempt.

1-The hellfire club. I've mentioned this in other threads, so I won't go over it too much again. Basically, the hellfire club wasn't the playboy mansion, and Shaw is not Hugh ****ing Hefner. Emma is not just some playboy bunny ****e (though this is an assumption, no evidence on that part)

2-Just because you want to differentiate your portrayal of Xavier from Patrick Stewart's doesn't mean you make the man a sex addict. I understand wanting to show that he occasionally used his powers in negative ways, but you don't want to turn the character into a friggin creep. Yes, Xavier grew and changed over the years, but when you start off the way McAvoy describes Xavier, it's difficult to be a redeemable character.

3-Magneto is the only cool character. I know Beast and Havok have their fans, but seriously, all the other characters are c-list at best. Darwin? ****in Azazel?? They could have made this the Magneto origin film, featuring only Xavier and the Hellfire club, and it would make perfect sense. Why purposely screw continuity to add characters very few people care about?

4-Matthew Vaughn-His comment about telling fans they're wrong. Well **** him. If a fan wants it to stick more closely to the comics, that is their perogative, who is he to say they're "wrong". Also, he said how they are always changing the story and it doesn't make sense. ********. Retcons happen, fairly often even, but I could still easily break down the origin(or at least essence) of both the X-men and the individual characters for you. So yeah, he's "wrong"

Basically, I know they made changes to the original continuity already. But the changes in those films seemed to be in an effort to distill the best parts of X-men's 40 year history down into something that would fit in 1 to 3 films. They included some of the most popular characters, and the plots were generic enough to appeal to each generation of fans. Now, they're changing the X-men's entire origin to shoehorn in some lame-ass characters.
I'm not suggesting they make a true First Class film with the 05 (Cyclops, Jean, Beast, and Storm would've been perfectly fine as the originals). But they easily could have maintained their own continuity and constructed a compelling origin story for X and Mags without ****in it all up. Because seriously, if Havok is Cyclops father, I may lose my **** in-theater.

I know that I'll be chewed out momentarily for this Blasphemy, but this is how I feel, painful as it is.

I hope it's a good film, but it is not the X-Men.

My only negative outlook on the film is with Mystique. I've never really liked movie Mystique. From her slicked back hair, but mainly those stupid scales and her transformation effects.

Other than that, I'm really excited for this film.

Just because you want to differentiate your portrayal of Xavier from Patrick Stewart's doesn't mean you make the man a sex addict. I understand wanting to show that he occasionally used his powers in negative ways, but you don't want to turn the character into a friggin creep. Yes, Xavier grew and changed over the years, but when you start off the way McAvoy describes Xavier, it's difficult to be a redeemable character.

Just because someone likes sex doesn't make them a creep.

Personally, I don't mind them going this route with the character. He's young and the serious **** hasn't gone down to wake him up yet. He's just enjoying his powers and life at that age.

The only thing I havent liked so far the line up. But the movie looks great to me

2-Just because you want to differentiate your portrayal of Xavier from Patrick Stewart's doesn't mean you make the man a sex addict. I understand wanting to show that he occasionally used his powers in negative ways, but you don't want to turn the character into a friggin creep. Yes, Xavier grew and changed over the years, but when you start off the way McAvoy describes Xavier, it's difficult to be a redeemable character.
Xavier isn't redeemable because he enjoyed sex? :huh:

I understand Vaugn saying what he said.

Comic book fans are WAYYY to hard to please, you guys ***** and complain like teenage girls no matter what happens

So why should a director cater to them? especially if it involves interfering with what he wants to do with the story.

If comic book fans lightened up a bit and weren't so damn pissy i think more directors would cater to them.

see this is what I dont get. The people in here are being calm and respectful about their opinions and then someone has to come in a complain and basically say that we shouldnt have a problem with anything and that all we do is complain and how we're pissy.

Why does it bother people so much just because they have complaints or worries about something

Professor X is not gonna be taxn every student left an right. Hes a character who realizes the responsibility of his powers but theres no reason he cant be enjoying some mutant tail while hes in his prime. Especially in this flick Moira, Emma and Mystique are all hot!!! Beast looks like he gets some action too. Good for him. The X Characters sleep with each other all the time in the comics. Doesnt make them sex addicts.

Last edited:
The only thing I havent liked so far the line up. But the movie looks great to me

Me too. The trailer looks awesome but the roster really bothers me. I just don't see the X-Men when I look at it.

I mean... SERIOUSLY!? I didn't even waste time reading all this negativity. Who creates such a thing? Negative people, that's who! I look forward to coming back to this thread in several months when the film is released and straight SLAYS this franchise to point out the naivity in abundance here. Good day, good morrow, good LUCK.

"Avoid destructive thinking. Improper negative thoughts sink people. A ship can sail around the world many, many times, but just let enough water get into the ship and it will sink. Just so with the human mind. Let enough negative thoughts or improper thoughts get into the human mind and the person sinks just like a ship." - Alfred A. Montapert

"A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it is a forgery." - Morris Bender

I mean... SERIOUSLY!? I didn't even waste time reading all this negativity. Who creates such a thing? Negative people, that's who! I look forward to coming back to this thread in several months when the film is released and straight SLAYS this franchise to point out the naivity in abundance here. Good day, good morrow, good LUCK.

"Avoid destructive thinking. Improper negative thoughts sink people. A ship can sail around the world many, many times, but just let enough water get into the ship and it will sink. Just so with the human mind. Let enough negative thoughts or improper thoughts get into the human mind and the person sinks just like a ship." - Alfred A. Montapert

"A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it is a forgery." - Morris Bender

:funny:

drama[1].jpg

I really hope Xavier does not become crippled at the end of this movie. That would contradict X3 and Wolverine. After all in the 80's he recruited jean grey and cyclops, and he was still walking.

Maybe a First Class movie should have been set post Wolverine. Maybe it could have taken place in the late 80's or early 90's. With a young jean grey and cyclops. This would connect to the flashbacks in X3 and the ending to Wolverine.

This is one of the things that bothers me a little bit about the new movie. I don't know if I would label Xavier as a creep. It's really difficult to know what exactly is going to happen in the movie since we haven't seen it yet. With that being said, the one thing that worries me is if Xavier uses his powers to influence women to do sexual deeds for him. Now, with that being said, it is believable for a human being to act in such a way if they had an ability like he did.. but my main issue is that (and I'm not an expert in the X-Men comic books lore so I could be wrong) but from my understanding Xavier was always portrayed as a clean guy that always did what was right. I think what all of this is just a side we never really saw Charles in and it's just a hard pill to swallow. It's believable in a way.. but it's really pushing the limits of the character that we know. If he does turn out to be a sex pest / addict, for myself, I just don't think I can even look at Patrick Stewart's portrayal of the character in the same light.. cause to me it just doesn't fit. However, that's just my thoughts and my opinion.

This is one of the things that bothers me a little bit about the new movie. I don't know if I would label Xavier as a creep. It's really difficult to know what exactly is going to happen in the movie since we haven't seen it yet. With that being said, the one thing that worries me is if Xavier uses his powers to influence women to do sexual deeds for him. Now, with that being said, it is believable for a human being to act in such a way if they had an ability like he did.. but my main issue is that (and I'm not an expert in the X-Men comic books lore so I could be wrong) but from my understanding Xavier was always portrayed as a clean guy that always did what was right. I think what all of this is just a side we never really saw Charles in and it's just a hard pill to swallow. It's believable in a way.. but it's really pushing the limits of the character that we know. If he does turn out to be a sex pest / addict, for myself, I just don't think I can even look at Patrick Stewart's portrayal of the character in the same light.. cause to me it just doesn't fit. However, that's just my thoughts and my opinion.

Its a logical learning curve of his power. What kinds of things do you think a teenager/20 something would do with mind control?

Looks like he's still getting better at using it responsibly, he's still very young.

Hell, I can't imagine having mind control at 19. Jeez, limitless fun and trouble. I could only hope I would have turned out as good as Xavier. The temptations would stagger even the most virtuous, mature man at times. 99.9% of the populace couldn't be trusted with that power at any age.

I'm okay with the learning curve.

Did I miss the news that came out about Xavier being a sex addicted sleeze?

And also, I agree, I always hated movie Mystique. Not a fan of the look at all.

And finally, I did not care about anyone of the characters they used in the movie. I have never been a fan of Havok. Beast was always the worst to me. Banshee was kind of lame. But then I thought about it, and who cares as long as they make them interesting in the movie.

And the trailer was awesome. but thats positivity, and it does not belong in here. sorry.

Did I miss the news that came out about Xavier being a sex addicted sleeze?

And also, I agree, I always hated movie Mystique. Not a fan of the look at all.

And finally, I did not care about anyone of the characters they used in the movie. I have never been a fan of Havok. Beast was always the worst to me. Banshee was kind of lame. But then I thought about it, and who cares as long as they make them interesting in the movie.

And the trailer was awesome. but thats positivity, and it does not belong in here. sorry.

Its been said in interviews that "Charley boy" is a drunken/womanizer type.

Like theres anything wrong with that. :word:

So, no one is allowed to say anything negative about something, and if they do, they're wrong and sad? :whatever: I was all over these boards for X3, and no amount of positive thinking could polish that up. People are allowed to voice negative opinions just as much as they're allowed to say positive things. It's called freedom of speech.

Anyway, to me, this movie has more going against it than for it. For one, this production is rushed, there's no denying that. It was one of the many things that X3 had going against it and it showed alot in the end.

Secondly, it's the muddling with the characters. The biggest offender in my mind being Shaw. It seems to me that instead of finding a character that more suits the story, they pick a name and change him around to fit the story. From the interviews and articles I've read, they've changed too much about him, from his personality to his powers. His powers are that of Prodigy from the last batch of X-students, not his own. And the way they changed his powers around in my opinion can best be described by a friend of mine on another board:

Shaw... charming? Manipulative? Shaw is neither. He's a sledgehammer. If he can't buy you, he just destroys you.
And Havok seems like he's going to be just as bad. I can get over changing the color of his powers, but not with screwing around so that one of the defining features of the relationship between Havok and Cyclops, that of the brotherhood rivalry, is going to be completely ignored, of now downright buried with the possibility of Havok being Scott's father.

Also, there's the supporting cast. One of the many things that the X-Men has going for it is the wide cast of characters to choose from. But who do they pull for this movie? Angel Salvadore? Azazel? That's the best they could do? I'll pass. I've always been a fan of the HC in the comics, but they hardly seem recognizable to me in this film. Yes, we're finally getting the much wanted Emma Frost, but she's been shuffled back into the 60's, which will stop her from being used in anything in the present day, short of her being cryogenically frozen. They then fill the club out with Shaw in name only, one of the more hated X-characters created, a second rate Marauder, and not much else.

In short, my expectations are very, very low for this film, which hurts me because the X-Men are my favorite comic franchise. I give almost every comic of theirs a chance, and I follow every bit of news I can on them for the books. But these movies after X2 have been so disappointing. This one may end up surprising me, but I'm not counting on it.

There isn't going to be any sequels to the original trilogy so all the future connections people are freaking out about don't even need to be addressed. This really needs to be treated as a reboot that chose not to tread on the originals by not using the same characters.

With that being said, the one thing that worries me is if Xavier uses his powers to influence women to do sexual deeds for him.
Look, Xavier is a twenty-something guy...he's handsome, intelligent, rich, and has a voice good enough to sing Motown hits and allure the ladies. Believe me, he doesn't need to use his telepathic powers to influence them to have sex with him. :o
I bet the girls were lining at his door. And guys too. :oldrazz: :woot:

I understand Vaugn saying what he said.

Comic book fans are WAYYY to hard to please, you guys ***** and complain like teenage girls no matter what happens

So why should a director cater to them? especially if it involves interfering with what he wants to do with the story.

If comic book fans lightened up a bit and weren't so damn pissy i think more directors would cater to them.

Stop.

This thread is not for you. Go find another one. Thanks.

I look forward to coming back to this thread in several months when the film is released and straight SLAYS this franchise to point out the naivity in abundance here.

Ehn...be careful what you wish for. This film may "slay this franchise" in more ways than you can know. :dry:

Personally? I saw the trailer last week and have kept my mouth shut on these boards ever since. There just isn't anything left for me to say at this point...:csad:

Ehn...be careful what you wish for. This film may "slay this franchise" in more ways than you can know. :dry:

Personally? I saw the trailer last week and have kept my mouth shut on these boards ever since. There just isn't anything left for me to say at this point...:csad:

I'm torn. It looks like a VERY well done movie. Its just veered so far from center for me its hard to get to interested anymore.

Okay, this post right here makes me that much more positive about the movie. I :hrt: this. Seriously, it's perfect. I've always thought Xavier would have this problem, and apparently Stan Lee himself agreed with me because this was a dropped storyline of his. He originally intended Xavier to have a lust/love for Jean Grey, and lets' be honest Xavier has had a string of women since. They've rarely labelled him a sex addict, or linked sex to his powers, but lets all be honest if you could control men and womens' minds; what would you do with it? This is a somewhat harmless yet intriguing side effect of his powers. I'd be a little remissed to see him seeking public office or manipulating his way into power, that's more Magneto's game, but this adds depth to him. There's always been question marks as to how he uses his powers to benefit himself, Cyclops' originally didn't trust him for this reason, and doesn't trust him now because of it. Perfect Xavier is a boring character, and the character he was 'modelled after, MLK, was far from perfect, especially in regards to sex and women.

Since this is a negative reaction thread I will say the character choices are poor, especially since Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch ought to have been in this film. Also, since continuity is not an issue, I don't understand why more popular and more deserving characters were not picked like Thunderbird, Sunfire, Bishop, Dazzler, Longshot, Pierce (Hellfire Club), Cameron Hodge or Mr. Sinister. Those are certainly characters who could've taken the place of the off-the-wall choices like Darwin, Angel Salvadore and "The Man in Black".

I think this film will probably ultimately be good but I don't think it's what the franchise needed to save itself. The quality that is on display would have been better served to make a reboot rather then a prequel to a convoluted continuity that is even ignoring it's own history. Singer likes to have his cake and eat it too, as seen with Superman Returns. The problem is the audience doesn't like that mentality as much as he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"