Days of Future Past Official X:FC Negative Reaction Thread

Ehn...be careful what you wish for. This film may "slay this franchise" in more ways than you can know. :dry:

Wassup Lightning? Long time no chat.

Well I think you may guess what my feelings are for this film. Maybe the fact that I've been absent from the X-Men forums is a big clue, but this being the Negative Reaction thread and all...
Let's just say that I hope that this film does indeed "slay the franchise" once and for all. At least on FOX.

I'd like the X-Men to revert back to where they belong: Marvel.
Maybe then, in a not too distant future, we'll have an X-Men film that is done right. With respect to the source material. Where changes are done for the right reasons, not because some studio executive thinks a sex scene might attract a certain demographic or characters and storylines are completely changed because of personal vendettas against actors or directors. One that doesn't pick some of the worst elements in X-men history and put them where they don't belong. Azazel? Salvatore? Feline Beast? Do we really need to have an acid puking egg laying useless character as part of an X-Men ORIGINs story? Why? Because her name is Angel and Angel was one of the original 5? Let's hint at Nightcrawlers possible 2nd penis while we're at it, or include Icecream Man as the villain (yes, he is an actual Marvel character). Just because something came out in the books at one point doesn't mean you can fit it in any story setting on film. I wish some of that stuff would disappear completely from X-Men history. Who am I kidding, not some, all of it. Having to see it in print was bad enough, now they're putting it on film.. *sigh*

That's a good point. It's a balancing act to make an adaptation that still has all the essential elements of the original.

Unfortunately, the X-Men films have been veering further away from source with each film. The first film's major continuity change was a younger Iceman, meaning he couldn't be part of an earlier team. If they hadn't put Iceman in the story, we could easily imagine that he, Beast and Angel were previous members of the X-Men.

All four existing X-Men films just about drew upon the source material enough to feel like X-Men films.... most of the time.... though there were obvious departures. They have skated dangerously close to the edge on many occasions, some would argue they went over that edge.
Honestly the best film of the series, X2, drove right off that edge IMO. It really set the tone for making the movies as far from the comics as possible. I think quality wise it was a good film, but it was about as faithful as Elektra or Catwoman. The fusion of Rev. Stryker with some military version of the Professor from "Weapon X", making Scott Summers the unrelenting prick of the group and then giving him next to no screentime, persisting with the Iceman/Rogue relationship, making Pyro an American former X-Student whose best friend is Bobby Drake, turning Mastermind into Stryker's son, making Wolverine the de facto leader and caving into Halle Berry's silly demands for more stuff to do. X3 may have been worse, but they just continued the trend, which they probably did not have much of a choice in anyways.

Halle Berry hasnt a big role on X2, Strom had a decent role, but nothing big.

Logan was the f**** star of the WHOLE trilogy.... wait, of the four movies to date!

Wassup Lightning? Long time no chat.

Well I think you may guess what my feelings are for this film. Maybe the fact that I've been absent from the X-Men forums is a big clue, but this being the Negative Reaction thread and all...
Let's just say that I hope that this film does indeed "slay the franchise" once and for all. At least on FOX.

I'd like the X-Men to revert back to where they belong: Marvel.
Maybe then, in a not too distant future, we'll have an X-Men film that is done right. With respect to the source material. Where changes are done for the right reasons, not because some studio executive thinks a sex scene might attract a certain demographic or characters and storylines are completely changed because of personal vendettas against actors or directors. One that doesn't pick some of the worst elements in X-men history and put them where they don't belong. Azazel? Salvatore? Feline Beast? Do we really need to have an acid puking egg laying useless character as part of an X-Men ORIGINs story? Why? Because her name is Angel and Angel was one of the original 5? Let's hint at Nightcrawlers possible 2nd penis while we're at it, or include Icecream Man as the villain (yes, he is an actual Marvel character). Just because something came out in the books at one point doesn't mean you can fit it in any story setting on film. I wish some of that stuff would disappear completely from X-Men history. Who am I kidding, not some, all of it. Having to see it in print was bad enough, now they're putting it on film.. *sigh*

Gotta say I heavily agree with this, a good chunk of the characters chosen for the film and changing characters histories drastically-again are kinda a drag for me......there's so much history, characters, etc, I do feel they somewhat dropped the ball on character selection

kinda shocking since i am anticipating the film in a positive way, soo far

I don't get the complaints that this doesn't "feel" like an X-men movie.

It takes place in the 1960's. Of course it's going to have a different feel from an X-men movie set in modern times.

and I'm loving the blue and yellow costumes. That feels alot more like X-men than the black leather outfits.

I was referring to the past X-Films, not the unreleased ones. X-Men FC definitely has more of a comic feel than the previous installments. It's far more ridiculous and far less realistic than X1 or X2.

I'm pretty sure MessiahDecoy123 was referring to other people's complaints about the First Class teaser, not your complaints about the other movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"