Days of Future Past The Positive Vibes About X:FC Thread

SodaPop

Ghost Post
Reaction score
So I've been reading a lot of posts about people pissing and moaning about this movie, and I felt like it was, dare I say necessary, to create a thread for discussion about the movie for those of us with positive vibes about this movie. I for one am highly excited to see this movie. Given everything I have heard about this I think this will be a very good film. I mean a stylized origin move about the X-Men? Count me in. The cast? Solid if you ask me. Continuity? Seems just fine to me. See I'm not a nitpicker who is gonna complain when people try to inject new characters into a story and try to bring a whole new feel to the series. So what if we don't have big name characters on the team? It's a TEAM not a solo act. The characters listed have gotten me very excited. Havok? Beast? Heck yeah man!! Two of my five favorite characters in the X-Men universe. And let's not forget one of the most important factors to my positive-ness: Matthew Vaughn. He is a great filmmaker and I am very excited to see his version of my favorite comic series.

What about you guys? What makes you excited for this?

I'm fairly confident this is going to be a good movie, but in the same way that X1 and X2 were. My favorite X-Man got shafted in those two films and he's getting even more shafted in this film. But I still think the movie will be good on it's own merits just like those two films were despite my fanboy gripes.

yep, I just hope this is a good X-1 type movie, to introduce the younger X and Mags etc. Maybe the sequel will feature mutants I actually care about other than Magneto and Mystique.

Vaughn
Singer
Goldman
Xavier
Magneto
Shaw
Emma
Hellfire Club
Havok
Beast
Banshee
Mystique
Moira

That's what I can think of now. :)

I like the 60's jetset Bond type setting. I also like that Vaughn & Goldman are involved but yeah, it's such the continuity is such a mess that it's hard to be super positive about it.

I swore off any more Fox superhero films, but have to admit Im liking what Im hearing.

As long as Fox stays out of the way which seems to be the case.

I really don't get the continuity stuff people are complaining about. Guess it's just me.

And please, don't anyone attempt to explain it to me.

well, it doesn't matter in the long run but I DO have to say that I have more faith in this than Wolverine 2; a movie that I won't see in theaters.

First Class, I'm curious about.

I really don't get the continuity stuff people are complaining about. Guess it's just me.

And please, don't anyone attempt to explain it to me.

I couldn't if I tried. I think it's hilarious that the two movies fanboys complain about the most in this franchise, to the extent that they come up with asinine retcons to ignore them, are now upset that said movies are being ignored--and it's not that the movies are being ignored. It's that cameos and fan nods are being ignored.

Then, they recommend this be a reboot, which negates any chance of seeing a more faithful comic book adaptation and allows Fox to potentially hold onto the rights even longer. :doh::doh::doh:

The lamenting at the lack of Cyclops and Jean I understand, but not seeing my favorite characters in a movie has never been a reason for me to not see it. Other than that, I'm interested in what Vaughn has to offer. I think the premise of the movie being set in the 1960s is refreshing and more interesting than anything else I've heard offered with regards to First Class.

60's setting is all. Had it been a complete and total reboot with the correct characters in the correct place, I would have been incredibly upbeat about it.

My interests:

Matthew directing and Singer producing and creating the plot.
Origin story
Main actors
Hellfire Club (Bacon and Jones)
Moira (cant wait to see her role and relationship with Charles)
Beast origin (interested on Nicholas performance)
Mystique's origin
60's feel (political background and more...)
A x-men movie being shotted in 2010 with today's technology (10 years after X1)
Havoc (interested on his development and if they will make some mention of his brother/origin in common)
Banshee, Azazel (possible connection with Kurt/Mystique) and new characters.

60's setting is all. Had it been a complete and total reboot with the correct characters in the correct place, I would have been incredibly upbeat about it.

There is a parallel world out there somewhere with someone called 'Akira' on a messageboard bemoaning the fact that the original X-Men line up in the comics of Havok, Banshee, Azazeal, Mystique and Beast is being replaced with the movie version of Cyclops, Jean, Angel, Beast and Iceman.

That guy is going to miss out on a good X-Men movie too.

Matthew Vaughnn made a 30mil superhero movie look like a 100mil one with KA, i can't wait to see what he does here, with writers involved who know the X-universe inside out. this could well be the best X-movie yet.

That's basically where I am with this

That's basically where I am with this

You guys are expecting far too much, and are being far too picky imo.
There has *never* been a movie based on an ongoing superhero comicbook that has followed all the characters in order of appearance to the letter.

We got a pretty good mix in the 1st X-Men film, 3 characters form the original X-Men in the core team, Cyke, Jean, Xavier, and 3 from the new era of X-Men, Logan, Storm and Rogue. Now, that was not a bad compromise between the first line up(whose classic run of Kirby/Lee was not very long and soon descended into an average cb when Kirby left), and the more popular larger and longer world of the new X-Men beginning with the Giant X-Men story.

Hell, they even based the first clash between the brotherhood and the X-Men on the original Kirby book, both took place in a train station.
and it was the same with the Brotherhood, two from the classic Kirby line up, two from the later years.

I mean, we knew Angel and Ice-man would not be a part of the original line up, but we can still get an X-Men movie featuring Cyke, Jean and Beast in a sequel.
this one is all about Xavier and Magneto falling out, and I would guess a team of mutants being put together that would split into the X-Men and the Brotherhood.
they won't really be the X-Men, they will be the X-M-Men, put together by both leaders. So in the next movie you will most likely get the Scott, Jean, Beast early years in the X-Men, and they will not be overshadowed by the Xavier and Magneto struggle.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys enjoy any of these superhero movies if you are so quick to dismiss them for such reasons. Just because they do not follow the time line of the books to the letter does not mean the stories do not have the potential to be just as powerful. that's what my 'parallel worlds' post to Kurosawa was meant to illustrate.

I really, REALLY, can't wait to see Fassbender and McAvoy as Erik and Charles respectively. Really great casting, particularly Fassbender. And no, this isn't a Tarantino fanboy saying this. This is someone who has seen his excellent performances in Hunger and Fish Tank. I really rate the guy, give him something good to work with and he'll do wonders as Erik Lensherr.

I really, REALLY, can't wait to see Fassbender and McAvoy as Erik and Charles respectively. Really great casting, particularly Fassbender. And no, this isn't a Tarantino fanboy saying this. This is someone who has seen his excellent performances in Hunger and Fish Tank. I really rate the guy, give him something good to work with and he'll do wonders as Erik Lensherr.
:up:

Im actually pretty excited. I cant wait to see how a lot of the characters will play out. How Mcavoy will do as Professor X. How the relationship with Magneto will go. I can only imagine how excited i'll be after seeing a trailer.

There is a parallel world out there somewhere with someone called 'Akira' on a messageboard bemoaning the fact that the original X-Men line up in the comics of Havok, Banshee, Azazeal, Mystique and Beast is being replaced with the movie version of Cyclops, Jean, Angel, Beast and Iceman.

That guy is going to miss out on a good X-Men movie too.

Matthew Vaughnn made a 30mil superhero movie look like a 100mil one with KA, i can't wait to see what he does here, with writers involved who know the X-universe inside out. this could well be the best X-movie yet.

That's won't be hard to do, there's never even been a X-Men movie made, just Wolverine 1-4 and they've all blown chunks.

That said, yea I feel for "Akira" on Earth-Primal or wherever :oldrazz:

I for one am sick and tired of all these reboots.I will not be seeing the man of steel and may not see the spider-man reboot.No film Is ever going to perfectly create the X-Men Lineup.what some tend to forget The X-Men started as a cult book it was the team of Cyclops,wolverine,Storm,Colossus,
Nightcrawler,Banshee and later Phoenix that turned the X-Men Into the top
comic book It became.As long as First Class Is prequel to X-Men and X2 I am
excited and there.

Bryan singer revived the Comic book franchise with X-Men and toped it with
X2.Both of them are my favorate marvel films.X2 I consider with Richard
Donner's superman and batman begins and The Dark Knight the best comic
book films.Many don't slavishly follow the comic timeline but only Singer Is
critized for It.Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 don't hold a candle to X-Men and
X2.While Superman Returns was far from perfect(hated kate Bosworth as Lois and thought the son storyline could have been handled better) I enjoyed it and it was not a Batman and robin bomb it did almost as well as batman begins domesticly and actully surpressed Batman begins overseas.Remember the last Superman film before that bombed.Singer even got Valkyrie to decemt box office despite having Tom Cruise In post backlash as his star.While I still haven't been able to rent Kickass yet Matthew vaughn's work on Stardust makes him a good choice to direct.

We are getting film that owes a lot to classic marvel and not entirely on the
ultimate line.Great news all around.

Now when we see X-Men and X2 we will be able to see what lead to xavier and Magneto's falling out

We have the classic prefurry Beast!

We got banshee.This explans why In X2 Siryn Is a student at the school.

While havoc In First class goes against the classic storyline remember Havoc was Introduced In the late 60's so he Is a long running X-Men character.

We get Moira Mactaggert In Important role

We may get to see with Mystique what lead to Nightcrawler's birth and how she ended up alligned with magneto.

We see the Helfire club pressented close to their comic book roots.With
Emma Frost as villianass.Sebsastan shaw Is a great choice as threat for
Xavier and Magneto.

Hopefully In the fall we should know once and for all If those who care about contunity should exclude entirely The Last Stand and Wolverine.And rather we should conisder Wolverine II as part of timeline with X-Men,X2,and First Class.Upside to this Is I can now consider Deadpool as part of the series assuming It gets made.

I couldn't if I tried. I think it's hilarious that the two movies fanboys complain about the most in this franchise, to the extent that they come up with asinine retcons to ignore them, are now upset that said movies are being ignored--and it's not that the movies are being ignored. It's that cameos and fan nods are being ignored.

Then, they recommend this be a reboot, which negates any chance of seeing a more faithful comic book adaptation and allows Fox to potentially hold onto the rights even longer. :doh::doh::doh:

The lamenting at the lack of Cyclops and Jean I understand, but not seeing my favorite characters in a movie has never been a reason for me to not see it. Other than that, I'm interested in what Vaughn has to offer. I think the premise of the movie being set in the 1960s is refreshing and more interesting than anything else I've heard offered with regards to First Class.

Bless you and your rationality. :up:

Matthew Vaughn
Jane Goldman
Bryan Singer
Michael Fassbender
James McAvoy
'60s James Bond inspiration

You guys are expecting far too much, and are being far too picky imo.
There has *never* been a movie based on an ongoing superhero comicbook that has followed all the characters in order of appearance to the letter.

We got a pretty good mix in the 1st X-Men film, 3 characters form the original X-Men in the core team, Cyke, Jean, Xavier, and 3 from the new era of X-Men, Logan, Storm and Rogue. Now, that was not a bad compromise between the first line up(whose classic run of Kirby/Lee was not very long and soon descended into an average cb when Kirby left), and the more popular larger and longer world of the new X-Men beginning with the Giant X-Men story.

Hell, they even based the first clash between the brotherhood and the X-Men on the original Kirby book, both took place in a train station.
and it was the same with the Brotherhood, two from the classic Kirby line up, two from the later years.

I mean, we knew Angel and Ice-man would not be a part of the original line up, but we can still get an X-Men movie featuring Cyke, Jean and Beast in a sequel.
this one is all about Xavier and Magneto falling out, and I would guess a team of mutants being put together that would split into the X-Men and the Brotherhood.
they won't really be the X-Men, they will be the X-M-Men, put together by both leaders. So in the next movie you will most likely get the Scott, Jean, Beast early years in the X-Men, and they will not be overshadowed by the Xavier and Magneto struggle.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys enjoy any of these superhero movies if you are so quick to dismiss them for such reasons. Just because they do not follow the time line of the books to the letter does not mean the stories do not have the potential to be just as powerful. that's what my 'parallel worlds' post to Kurosawa was meant to illustrate.

Yeah well that doesnt change what i want to see in an X-Men movie, to me there hasnt been a great X-Men movie yet. There was a pretty good one and some ok ones but none great. And I was hoping for something better with First Class. Now I'm not saying it wont be good but right now I'm disappointed with the news of my favourite X-Man who has ALWAYS been one of the original X-Men is will be nowhere to be seen. We can talk about time line this and continuity but then they do things like throw his younger brother in and make him actually his older brother by anything of upto 20years. Its just strange to me is all.

I didnt say it would change anything but what is the point exactly?? Why just change a characters age and relationship with another character for the sake of it? They could've picked a number or other mutants to include but why pick Scotts younger brother and have him nowhere in sight?

I'm not saying its a deal breaker or that the movie will suck as a result, I just don't get the point in doing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"