• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Comics Official X-MEN: LEGACY Discussion Thread

Specter313

Ghost of all things X
Reaction score
X-Men: Legacy

Creative Team:​
Mike Carey(writer) & Daniel Acuna(artist)

XMEN188COVER1_400.jpg
X_men_Legacy_242_cover_by_leinilyu.jpg

xmen_191.jpg

Team Members: Rogue, Mystique, Sabretooth, Cannonball, Cable, Iceman, Karima Shapandar, Lady Mastermind

Storyline Info:

prv7852_cov.jpg

prv7852_pg1.jpg

prv7852_pg2.jpg

prv7852_pg3.jpg

prv7852_pg4.jpg

prv7852_pg5.jpg

prv7852_pg6.jpg

prv7852_pg7.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #245

Written by MIKE CAREY

Penciled by CLAY MANN

Cover by LEINIL YU

Fantastic Four Anniversary Variant by PAOLO RIVERA

“AGE OF X” PART ONE!

In a world where the X-Men never existed and mutantkind has been hunted to extinction, the few remaining mutants band together to make their last stand. Who are they? And just how far will they go to survive? The AGE OF X starts here!

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

Marvel Comics X-Men editorial office may be looking at 2011 as the year of the X, and this week certainly feels like the week of X as the publisher continues its X-Men MMXI today with "X-Men: Legacy" writer Mike Carey. Aside from sharing the cover by Mico Suayan to issue #248, Carey and editor Nick Lowe came to talk up the future of the title, and CBR News was on hand with all the action.

"For a while, it's going to be partially a team book," the writer said, noting that the series will remain very Rogue-centric while unpacking the events of the "Age of X" event. "If there's one thing that's been consistent about 'Legacy' over the past couple of years, it's been that nothing is consistent...there's been a changing cast of one or two characters at a time and a whole bunch of supporting cast. That's part of the fun of the book...Having said that, there's a set amount of stability in this team."

Lowe joked that even though Carey has been on the book for five years, everything he's done has been part of one massive plan. Laughing, the writer did say, "Putting Professor X back at the center of the book just so we could pivot was part of the plan, but we did discover a lot as we went."

Artist Rafa Sandoval will join the creative team starting in May, and he's "one of the most visually exciting artists out there," according to Carey. "He does some amazing fight scenes with a very human focus."

The book will carry the weight of the "Age of X" story from issue #250 on (as will "New Mutants") including the introduction of new villains. "They have something in common that makes them different from other X-Men villains," the writer explained of the new bad guys led by a villain named Styx in a story called "The Orpheus Effect."

After that story, the team will be taken off of planet earth and face a threat that's been very subtly hinted at in "Age of X" and other stories, but Carey played coy on other finer details.

Carey said that his desire to place a team at the focus of the rotating cast series came from his enjoyment of his original run on the title when it was called "X-Men." "There's a huge pleasure in choosing a group of characters from the X-Men universe who can play off each other in unexpected ways...whatever characters you choose, there'll be explosions between them," he said, adding that the team that will occupy the future of the comic is rife with drama. "Obviously you've got Professor X and Magneto together...the spokespersons for two views of mutants together. You've got the parent/child relationships between Professor X and Legion. And you've got some very interesting romantic/erotic situations as well with Rogue having been involved with Gambit and Magneto."

The young mutants in the current cast won't necessarily play into future stories as much since Rogue will be leaving Utopia, but Carey said, "There are characters we'll be coming back to. We haven't put on this spotlight to abandon them."

As for other characters in the franchise, Lowe teased that Iceman will play a major role in X-Men events across the board by the end of 2011, and Carey said that the only character he's wanted to use that he wasn't able to because of timing is Cassandra Nova who had a role to play in Joss Whedon's "Astonishing X-Men." But he'd like to come back to Juggernaut at some point in the future.

Calls for a celebration of Rogue's 30th anniversary has been a recent topic on boards as well as Carey's Facebook page, and the writer noted that she'll be getting a special story in issue #250. Meanwhile, the Lowe felt that her role as the lead character of "Legacy" is a fitting tribute. "I think a lot of people forget how successful 'X-Men: Legacy' has been," the editor said. "I think that's a huge testament to Mike. He's been on the book since issue #188, and he's about to hit #250...that's one of the greatest longevities of any writer on the book."

Clayton Henry will be one artist doing more work on the series in the future, and other mystery collaborators will have a shot at the series as well moving forward.

Marvel Comics X-Men editorial office may be looking at 2011 as the year of the X, and this week certainly feels like the week of X as the publisher continues its X-Men MMXI today with "X-Men: Legacy" writer Mike Carey. Aside from sharing the cover by Mico Suayan to issue #248, Carey and editor Nick Lowe came to talk up the future of the title, and CBR News was on hand with all the action.

"For a while, it's going to be partially a team book," the writer said, noting that the series will remain very Rogue-centric while unpacking the events of the "Age of X" event. "If there's one thing that's been consistent about 'Legacy' over the past couple of years, it's been that nothing is consistent...there's been a changing cast of one or two characters at a time and a whole bunch of supporting cast. That's part of the fun of the book...Having said that, there's a set amount of stability in this team."

Lowe joked that even though Carey has been on the book for five years, everything he's done has been part of one massive plan. Laughing, the writer did say, "Putting Professor X back at the center of the book just so we could pivot was part of the plan, but we did discover a lot as we went."

Artist Rafa Sandoval will join the creative team starting in May, and he's "one of the most visually exciting artists out there," according to Carey. "He does some amazing fight scenes with a very human focus."

The book will carry the weight of the "Age of X" story from issue #250 on (as will "New Mutants") including the introduction of new villains. "They have something in common that makes them different from other X-Men villains," the writer explained of the new bad guys led by a villain named Styx in a story called "The Orpheus Effect."

After that story, the team will be taken off of planet earth and face a threat that's been very subtly hinted at in "Age of X" and other stories, but Carey played coy on other finer details.

Carey said that his desire to place a team at the focus of the rotating cast series came from his enjoyment of his original run on the title when it was called "X-Men." "There's a huge pleasure in choosing a group of characters from the X-Men universe who can play off each other in unexpected ways...whatever characters you choose, there'll be explosions between them," he said, adding that the team that will occupy the future of the comic is rife with drama. "Obviously you've got Professor X and Magneto together...the spokespersons for two views of mutants together. You've got the parent/child relationships between Professor X and Legion. And you've got some very interesting romantic/erotic situations as well with Rogue having been involved with Gambit and Magneto."

The young mutants in the current cast won't necessarily play into future stories as much since Rogue will be leaving Utopia, but Carey said, "There are characters we'll be coming back to. We haven't put on this spotlight to abandon them."

As for other characters in the franchise, Lowe teased that Iceman will play a major role in X-Men events across the board by the end of 2011, and Carey said that the only character he's wanted to use that he wasn't able to because of timing is Cassandra Nova who had a role to play in Joss Whedon's "Astonishing X-Men." But he'd like to come back to Juggernaut at some point in the future.

Calls for a celebration of Rogue's 30th anniversary has been a recent topic on boards as well as Carey's Facebook page, and the writer noted that she'll be getting a special story in issue #250. Meanwhile, the Lowe felt that her role as the lead character of "Legacy" is a fitting tribute. "I think a lot of people forget how successful 'X-Men: Legacy' has been," the editor said. "I think that's a huge testament to Mike. He's been on the book since issue #188, and he's about to hit #250...that's one of the greatest longevities of any writer on the book."

Clayton Henry will be one artist doing more work on the series in the future, and other mystery collaborators will have a shot at the series as well moving forward.

Iceman, yeah i bet he will :whatever:

XMEN250COV_col.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #250 & 251
Written by MIKE CAREY
Penciled by KHOI PHAM
Cover by MICO SUAYAN
“AGE OF X: AFTERMATH!”
The X-Men have escaped the AGE OF X and returned to Utopia…unaware that something sinister followed them back. Upon discovering that this new evil has been loosed into the world, Rogue and Magneto round up a team of X-Men to hunt it down. But is this motley new crew of X-Men prepared for what awaits them?
250: 64 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99
251: 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
ISSUE #250 Cover Shown

prv8297_cov.jpg

prv8297_pg1.jpg

prv8297_pg2.jpg

prv8297_pg3.jpg

prv8297_pg4.jpg

prv8297_pg5.jpg

prv8297_pg6.jpg

prv8297_pg7.jpg

prv8297_pg8.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #247

Written by MIKE CAREY

Penciled by CLAY MANN

Cover by MICO SUAYAN

Thor Goes Hollywood Variant by TBA

“AGE OF X” CHAPTER 5!

In the Age Of X, there are no X-Men. There are no heroes to stand in the way of the anti-mutant aggression that has run rampant for years. And when the world's most dangerous mutant is set loose in this Age, everything will come crashing down.

32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

XMEN252COV_col.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #252
Written by MIKE CAREY
Penciled by KHOI PHAM
Cover by MICO SUAYAN
AGE OF X AFTERMATH!
Not only have the X-Men escaped from the Age of X, but so have some of the most dangerous monsters from Legion’s psyche!
Desperate to hunt them down, Legion and a small team of X-Men leave the safety of Utopia to find them. But it may not be long before they find themselves in over their heads...
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

prv8560_cov.jpg

prv8560_pg1.jpg

prv8560_pg2.jpg

prv8560_pg3.jpg

prv8560_pg4.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #248
Written by MIKE CAREY
Penciled by RAFA SANDOVAL
An all-new direction for X-Men Legacy begins this May as MMXI – the year of the X-Men – kicks into high gear!
Rated T+ ...$2.99

They're baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack:

XMEN254COV_col_02.jpg

Havok, Polaris and Marvel Girl. Remember them?

They're the team of X-Men who went off to space — way back during Ed Brubaker's run on Uncanny X-Men circa 2006 — and never came back. They reformed the Starjammers space pirate crew and played a part in stories like War of Kings, but have mostly been relegated to X-limbo in recent years.

That's about to change in a rather significant way come August's X-Men Legacy #254, the start of the four-issue "Five Miles South of the Universe" arc that sets Rogue's team on a mission to the stars to find their lost-in-space teammates. After all, they were said to be on their way to back to Earth in Realm of Kings, but haven't been seen since.

"The last we heard, Rachel [Summers], Havok and Polaris were on their way home," X-Men Legacy writer Mike Carey told Newsarama via Skype. "That was some time ago, and they haven't been seen. So, where are they? What is going on in the Shi'ar Empire now? What is going on in the aftermath of the War of Kings? We've seen some of that, obviously, in Realm of Kings. But there were lots of reasons to revisit those characters, to bring them back into continuity, not least because they're very, very cool characters, and they’ve been out of play for a long time."

Cool characters, and ones with major roles in X-Men history. Havok is not only the brother of Cyclops, he and Polaris were the first two mutants to join the team following the original five. (Mimic joined earlier but he is, as any Marvel trivia buff can tell you, not a mutant.) Rachel Summers calls herself Marvel Girl in tribute to her mother, Jean Grey — she's the daughter of Cyclops and Jean from the bleak "Days of Future Past" timeline.

At any Marvel convention panel in the past year, fans will inevitably ask about the status of the trio. Carey himself is excited for their return — he hasn't gotten the chance to write any of them before — and it sounds like the four-issue arc won't be the last we see of them.

"It won't be a clean in-and-out," Carey said. "Some of those characters will stay with us for a while."

In X-Men Legacy's nearer future is June's oversized issue #250, which offers the first look at the Starjammers gang in a back-up story where Marvel Girl telepathically contacts Rogue, before being pulled back into interstellar conflict.

"We took a bit of a risk with that story," Carey said. "It's told in a very, very odd way, but it's a way that allows us to draw links between a lot of things that have already been seen, or already been hinted at."

X-Men Legacy #250 will have 32 story pages, with the back-up hinting towards "Five Miles South of the Universe," and the main section setting the stage for the immediate future.

One of the major changes in the current state of X-Men Legacy is the title functioning as a proper team book for the first time since gaining the "Legacy" suffix with issue #208 back in early 2008.

"I've always kind of had the best of both worlds, because although it was a book with a solo protagonist, I was usually able to sneak in a team when I needed one or wanted one, and the beauty of it was that I could choose the members of that team pretty much freely, as in the "Necrosha" tie-in that we did," Carey said. "I just cherry-pick all the characters I'm busting to write."

This team — Rogue, Gambit, Professor Xavier, Magneto, Frenzy and Legion — have what Carey called a "very specific mandate," and are put together "to deal with a very specific threat."

"The arc that starts in #250 introduces a new villain to the X-Men universe, who we're quite excited about," the writer shared.

Given that X-Men Legacy started life as effectively a Professor X solo title, and then evolved in recent years to being focused on Rogue, the fact that the team includes both — and closely associated characters Magneto and Gambit — makes the lineup seem like an inevitable outcome of the title's evolution.

"I think it's a very natural development," Carey said. "But at the same time, it's a colossally overpowered team, isn't it? It has more than its fair share of really heavy hitters, so I'll leave you to imagine what kind of threats they're dealing with."

X-Men Legacy #248, just released this week, began to deal with the fallout of the six-part, Carey-written "Age of X" storyline. Given that Legion (whose split personality created the "Age of X" reality), is a regular cast member of the title, expect ramifications from the story to be felt for a good while.

"We are definitely following up on this," Carey said, adding that Frenzy, Rogue and Gambit will also be grappling with post-"Age of X" issues. "There's a sense in which #248 and #249 are both aftermath issues, although only one of them is called that. #249 is kind of Janus-faced, it looks backwards and it looks forward to #250 and the new team."

When talking about "Age of X," it's clear that the writer has a lot of pride in the story.

"It feels like a culmination, in a lot of ways," Carey said. "It's the biggest and most ambitious story that I've told — by myself — in the X-verse. Obviously, "'Messiah Complex' and 'Second Coming' were bigger, but they were also collaborative efforts involving many different creative teams. This felt more personally mine, so the pride I feel in finishing it off and getting it out into the world is proportionally greater."

Carey feels that his enthusiasm, for the most part, has been matched by the often hard-to-please X-Men fans.

"There were some who said, 'We've been here before, it's kind of 'Age of Apocalypse'-light,' and so on, but I think by and large, it found its audience, and it fired up people's imaginations," Carey said.

And while "Age of X" became a franchise-sweeping saga that took over two ongoing books for three months, it started from humble beginnings.

"It was just a hugely exciting experience, because it grew in a very organic — but at the same time very surprising — way, from a small seed," Carey continued. "The initial concept was just to get all of the different teams of X-Men into the field against each other, and then it kind of grew into this other thing. Then Clay [Mann] and Steve [Kurth] came on board and we hit warp speed. I was utterly delighted and amazed at the character designs, the settings, the way the artists brought that world to life. The whole thing has been a blast."

Mann and Kurth are both sticking in the X-Men Legacy art rotation, with Kurth coming back on board with #254. Age of X: Universe artist Khoi Pham is scheduled for X-Men Legacy #250-#252.

"We have a really great pool of artistic talent to draw on now," Carey noted.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/mike-carey-x-men-legacy-110512.html

I am so damn happy, I can't even explain it. Been wanting those 3 back for years!

My X-Men Wish List:

- bring the X-Jammers back from space
- show what Nightcrawler's depowered brother Abyss has been up to
- bring Bishop back and have him somehow be cool w/ the X-Men again
- a proper Academy-X ongoing w/ K&Y :cmad:

Last edited:
The other parts of your wish list suck.

Now who's trollin' who, sucka!

Bishop has to come back to ****ing get shot in the head. No amount of redemption will fix him at this point.

Also leave the Kyle out of the Young X-Men book and we might be able to talk. He's the untalented hack of the two so.

Marvel Girl really, we already have Hope do we really need another holier than thou redhead having a go at Cyclops? Have to say the cover for their return issue is horrible imo.

I am so damn happy, I can't even explain it. Been wanting those 3 back for years!

My X-Men Wish List:

- bring the X-Jammers back from space
- show what Nightcrawler's depowered brother Abyss has been up to
- bring Bishop back and have him somehow be cool w/ the X-Men again
- a proper Academy-X ongoing w/ K&Y :cmad:

I like that list. I'd have to add another 1.

- Put Firestar in the X-Men. It's about damn time. :cmad:

prv8686_cov.jpg

prv8686_pg1.jpg

prv8686_pg2.jpg

prv8686_pg3.jpg

prv8686_pg4.jpg

prv8686_pg5.jpg

prv8686_pg6.jpg

Dun, dun, DUNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!:

prv8686_pg7.jpg

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at the giant-sized anniversary issue of X-Men Legacy #250, from New York Times best-selling author Mike Carey and acclaimed artists Khoi Pham and Steve Kurth! The X-Men have returned from the Age of X – but what undetected evil has followed them back from the twisted reality that never was? It’ll take a whole new team of mutants led by Rogue and Magneto to prevent this new villain from laying the team to waste. Then, because you demanded it, Havok and his team make their long-awaited return in an all new story! But what are the secrets behind their absence and what does their re-emergence mean for the X-Men? It’s a new team, new direction and new era when Mike Carey gives the Children of the Atom a fresh set of marching orders this June in X-Men Legacy #250!

^Yes! They didn't forget about Korvus :D

I like that list. I'd have to add another 1.

- Put Firestar in the X-Men. It's about damn time. :cmad:

The X-Men clearly have no need for fire-based mutants. Poor Match just sits in the mansion while Sunspot is off doing God-knows-what. Magma should consider herself lucky.

I really hope Polaris is put on a team and not just left to do nothing.

Bishop has to come back to ****ing get shot in the head. No amount of redemption will fix him at this point.
Considering Magneto, Sabertooth, Mystique, Frenzy, Juggernaut, Rogue, Legion, Lady Mastermind and Emma Frost who have all been villains and have all served on X-Teams or are serving as X-Men at one point or another I wouldn't say his beyond redemption.

If he came back he would only slip into the background again like 70% of the X-Men at the moment.

sooo, revenant didnt disappear after age of x, interested to see where that goes...

XMEN253COV_col.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #253
Written by MIKE CAREY
Penciled by KHOI PHAM
Cover by MICO SUAYAN
“LOST LEGIONS” Conclusion!
Not only have the X-Men escaped the AGE OF X, but so have some of the most dangerous monsters lurking in Legion’s psyche! And one of them in particular is determined to retain his freedom. His power? Sucking the life out of his victims. The X-Men have never before encountered a foe like this…and at this issue’s close, Rogue will find her team a member or two short…
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

XMEN254COV_col_forpreviews.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #254
Written by MIKE CAREY
Penciled by STEVE KURTH
Cover by MICO SUAYAN
“FIVE MILES SOUTH OF THE UNIVERSE” Part One!
Wayward X-Man Marvel Girl only managed to leave a brief psychic message with Rogue before being ripped away from Earth…and thrown back into the middle of an extraterrestrial war! Now Rogue and her team of X-Men are on an intergalactic search and rescue mission, hoping to pull their long lost teammates from the fray. But in what condition will they find Marvel Girl, Havok and Polaris? Find out here!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

sooo, revenant didnt disappear after age of x, interested to see where that goes...

She is gradually disappearing as she was Rachel projecting herself across space and got caught up in AOX. So Rachel's psyche needs to return to her body, that is why Revenant was ghost like.

BTW does this mean Chamber's now powered again as a mutant???

X-MEN LEGACY #253
Written by MIKE CAREY
Penciled by KHOI PHAM
Cover by MICO SUAYAN
“LOST LEGIONS” Conclusion!
Not only have the X-Men escaped the AGE OF X, but so have some of the most dangerous monsters lurking in Legion’s psyche! And one of them in particular is determined to retain his freedom. His power? Sucking the life out of his victims. The X-Men have never before encountered a foe like this…and at this issue’s close, Rogue will find her team a member or two short…
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Between Proteus and Emplate(who they fought very recently), I call BS on this lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"