Old MCU Fantastic Four Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I thoroughly enjoy the first film. Cast had good chemistry, costumes were on point, Evans was...hot and perfect, Chiklis just needed a touch of fx for his costume but otherwise was still great. 2nd film however...I still cant get over them trying to wash away any ethnicity Alba had and that wig...haunts me to this very day.

I wish foX tried to release one more film with that cast. It seemed like they didn't bother right after Rise of the Silver Surfer underperformed at the boX office.

I hope they get Alex Hirsch as one of the writers. He most popular work are animated shows, but they have the right amount of heart, spectacle, crazy adventure, and interesting dynamics that make him great for at least giving some input.

Ha.

Bull**** Internet Iconoclast Syndrome strikes again.

giphy.gif

*(Even Evans knows what's up.)

Unpopular take...

Lawrence is actually a GREAT fit for Sue and if this rumor is in any way true then if Lawrence is on the short list for Invisible Woman just imagine who is being looked at for the likes of Reed/Doom ect.?

Just have Sue be invisible for the entire film and JLaw can literally phone in her lines.

But in all seriousness, I think Ms. Lawrence would be a good get for a franchise facing its third strike. If she is willing to make the commitment I am on board.

I’ve never been a fan of hiring big names because I feel like the best actors who truly fit the characters are likely relative unknowns.

Hiring big names requires compromises.

But if they bring someone like Jennifer Lawrence in for Sue, that could give them a name and then maybe they could get lesser-known actors for other roles.

Plus, doing something like that could help ensure Sue remains a key-character and doesn’t fade into the background.

As for the timing, yeah, I’d expect filming in 2022 for a 2023 release, but to do that, you need to sign actors now to get them before they commit to other projects (and I can’t dismiss the article for claiming filming will start next month, because I haven’t seen such a claim)

Plus, since I strongly suspect the characters will show up in other films before their stand-alone film, the FF better be cast damn soon if they’re not already cast.

I’m betting a cast is currently signed. I’m less sure that Jennifer Lawrence is Sue, but this story seems reasonably credible, so I won’t dismiss it until we get a denial.

They were fine. The only one I didn’t buy in the cast was Alba. I didn’t have a problem with her ethnicity being different than the comics but the blonde wig was atrocious.

More than in any other MCU movie, I think the key in Fantastic Four is the chemistry between the characters. Jennifer Lawrence could be a great choice or a really bad one, it all depends on how she plays against the other actors.
I think relative unknowns is the best route in this case, let them embody the characters instead of having big names trying their best to distance from their true celebrity selves.
Just for example, I'd like Taron Egerton as Johnny Storm. He is a great actor, still low profile as of now despite the big movies he's been in.

My choices for Sue and Johnny respectively are Rothe and Jace Norman, that kid from that Henry danger show on nickelodeon. I don't mind well known actors but they wouldn't take me out of the movie and I've seen them in various roles enough to think they could handle it.

D3W0jUMUYAUaazJ.jpg

latest

The Daily Mail is not a reliable source. Second I hope she isn’t Sue. I understand it wasn’t fun to be in full body make-up 20 hours a day, but she comes off as a bit of a diva to me. Marvel has done a great job of casting actors that know it’s a commercial role but still actually invest in it and are willing to sign up for multiple appearances. I think she would bail or try to renegotiate too much.

Daily Mail wasn't the original source

Not entirely true. Their film production journalists have a lot of sources and have had a phenomenal track record with film spoilers and scoops. However, those connections are typically related to UK studios and their very solid track record is typically related to films in production based in the UK. Which is not the situation here...

I think Lawrence would be fine in the role. I just want more reliable sources before I believe it. They could be casting now if the FF are appearing in other stuff before their own movie. So I can buy FF members being cast now. But I want like....one of the legit outlets to confirm it.

This is a writer for Deadline - a reliable news outlet that isn’t a tabloid publication.

Seems like a half backed justification to me. Like they would reach out to the studio and they would give them that to put out there. So no mention whatsoever of Jennifer Lawrence. No denial... basically a “no comment” sort of situation.

Again wouldn’t be surprised if her casting is indeed legit.

Seems like a half backed justification to me. Like they would reach out to the studio and they would give them that to put out there. So no mention whatsoever of Jennifer Lawrence. No denial... basically a “no comment” sort of situation.

Again wouldn’t be surprised if her casting is indeed legit.
It’s certainly possible they’ve cast the role for her to be in movies in shows and television shows before the F4 movie. For all we know Sue Storm has a cameo in Love AndThunder(which is filming in Australia now) which is why Lawrence is going there. However, with the way the story is framed they make it seem like she’s going to film the new F4 movie soon - a movie that doesn’t even have script yet, who’s confirmed director is currently filming another Marvel superhero movie in a totally different location, and will likely have his hands full with post-production work for the next coming months. So I don’t believe this story is true.

Last edited:
Unpopular take...

Lawrence is actually a GREAT fit for Sue and if this rumor is in any way true then if Lawrence is on the short list for Invisible Woman just imagine who is being looked at for the likes of Reed/Doom ect.?
I agree that Ms Lawrence has the talent and the charisma if she's willing to put in the effort. Which I guess she probably would in an MCU franchise, but I still have my doubts about her after what I felt were lazy, perfunctory performances as Mystique.
My choices for Sue and Johnny respectively are Rothe and Jace Norman, that kid from that Henry danger show on nickelodeon. I don't mind well known actors but they wouldn't take me out of the movie and I've seen them in various roles enough to think they could handle it.

D3W0jUMUYAUaazJ.jpg

latest
I'm not familiar with Jace Norman but I really like the suggestion of Jessica Rothe. She's not a household name, but, IMHO, has clearly proven that she can carry a movie and deserves some recognition.

Well Marvel put this rumor to bed extremely fast. Seems they're not messing around with this property

Where? I just did a search and all I see is that Justin Kroll tweet.

And even that Tweet doesn’t deny or even directly address the rumor.

“Jennifer Lawrence has not been cast in the Fantastic Four film.” Very easy to say if true.

Last edited:
Not entirely true. Their film production journalists have a lot of sources and have had a phenomenal track record with film spoilers and scoops. However, those connections are typically related to UK studios and their very solid track record is typically related to films in production based in the UK. Which is not the situation here...
That's what I've been telling people. They got the Gyllenhaal in FFH news before others and that was partially filmed in the UK. Which is why I'm not entirely tossing this rumor aside.

You know, Sue being someone Jane knows isn't totally out of the realm of possibilities. I could see that being a thing in the MCU. I could also see Marvel wanting to go with a bigger name like Jennifer Lawrence to get general fans excited for yet another F4 movie.

I'm not totally buying it but I'm not going to dismiss it completely just because of the source.

I don't want Jennifer Lawrence to dominate, especially as the bigger name. I think the big name should be Reed, if anyone, so that he feels more like the leader of the team than he has in the past movies. With J-Law as Sue, I can see her being promoted to team leader, brains, strong woman, firebrand, invisible spy and stretchy woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"