Part III (Spoiler Thread)

more interesting is, why did Reva know Vader is Anakin

The problem is that after ROTS alotta people assumed Obi-Wan never saw Vader again yet somehow through the grapevine found out that Vader was alive in a cyborg capacity. Those were all assumptions though.

The Endor scene between Luke and Vader directly contradicts the aforementioned. Obi-Wan ran into Vader before ANH and tried to "rescue" him.

I was confused as to why Vader let Obi-Wan escape at the end. Surely a little bit of fire wouldn't stop him from getting to his greatest living rival. I'm hoping there's a motivated character reason for it and it isn't just a plot contrivance, but the show so far has not instilled in me that much confidence.

The problem is that after ROTS alotta people assumed Obi-Wan never saw Vader again yet somehow through the grapevine found out that Vader was alive in a cyborg capacity. Those were all assumptions though.

The Endor scene between Luke and Vader directly contradicts the aforementioned. Obi-Wan ran into Vader before ANH and tried to "rescue" him.
Uh, no.

1. The existence of Vader is not a secret. The assumption of the suit is obvious because we knows how he left Darth Vader, the name he already had. But that doesn't matter, because nothing he ever says indicates he knew that before RotJ. Which is after he fought him in Star Wars.

2. Yes. In RotS. Obi-Wan tries to reason with him, pleads with him. Which is clearly the reference here.

Which matches Ob-Wan's words early in the film. About how when Anakin became Vader, he changed. That happened in RotS.

Not that I care at this point. But that's all fairly obvious.

Weird to me that there's any controversy over this series. I thought the first few couple were "fine", and the third episode was pretty awesome. I love that it jumped right into it with their 'reunion'. And it was way more intense than I would've expected!

Also, given that they gave this to us in the third episode (love that it was "Episode III" btw, even if that's just a coincidence), I'm going to assume that we will see one more confrontation before it's all said and done.

That said, if I'm being honest, I don't think this is like amazing writing or anything. It's fan fiction-y, but I feel that way about most Disney Star Wars at this point, even the stuff I like. But it's damn nice to see these characters again and flesh out this time period a bit.

Weird to me that there's any controversy over this series. I thought the first few couple were "fine", and the third episode was pretty awesome. I love that it jumped right into it with their 'reunion'. And it was way more intense than I would've expected!

Also, given that they gave this to us in the third episode (love that it was "Episode III" btw, even if that's just a coincidence), I'm going to assume that we will see one more confrontation before it's all said and done.

That said, if I'm being honest, I don't think this is like amazing writing or anything. It's fan fiction-y, but I feel that way about most Disney Star Wars at this point, even the stuff I like. But it's damn nice to see these characters again and flesh out this time period a bit.
There is a black woman on the show. At this point, that makes it sadly "not weird".

There is a black woman on the show. At this point, that makes it sadly "not weird".

I was trying not to even dignify that disgusting aspect of the backlash by mentioning it. Other than that, has the reception been overall positive? I purposely avoid getting too in the weeds with Star Wars fandom these days. What I've seen has seemed a bit mixed. But overall it seems like it should be a pretty easy fan-pleaser to me.

Last edited:
I was trying not to even dignify that disgusting aspect of the backlash by mentioning it. Other than that, has the reception been overall positive? I purposely avoid getting too in the weeds with Star Wars fandom these days. What I've seen has seemed a bit mixed. But overall it seems like it should be a pretty easy fan-pleaser to me.
From what I've seen, the vast majority are happy, with the usual suspects coming up with reasons for why this is the worst thing that's ever happened, ever.

On a personal note, I definitely have my issues, but overall I'm rather enjoying it.

From what I've seen, the vast majority are happy, with the usual suspects coming up with reasons for why this is the worst thing that's ever happened, ever.

On a personal note, I definitely have my issues, but overall I'm rather enjoying it.

Yeah, definitely...I'm in the same boat, but overall there's a lot to like here and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Weird to me that there's any controversy over this series.
Screencanon “wins”, even when headcanon (with all of its emotional investment) was there decades earlier. I think that’ll scratch away at the subconscious enjoyment of the show.

Dude, everything on here is someone's opinion unless you are saying things like "This movie grossed X amount of dollars" or saying a thing that literally happened in a movie or whatever topic is. I am not putting IMO in every post. It is a waste of time because EVERYTHING I post on this forum dedicated to movie discourse is opinion.
I don't know your perspective. I don't know what you'd do or what you mean when you say that. And based on the tone of the discussion, I interpreted you stating it, as you stating it like it were fact. I'm sorry if I was mistaken.

But I don't think it wastes much time to add imo or something like that.

I will also say, I am revising my view on Reva's backstory. While, yes, I was distracted by old EU "canon" part of Obi-wan mentioning a brother, I think that part is more important to Reva's backstory. So, probably a sibling of the black youngling we saw at the start of the show. And with Reva's seemingly ambivialance about being Grand Inquisitor, I think she is searching for her sister.

Of course, that line may also be a way to bring back Leia remembering Padme.

2. Yes. In RotS. Obi-Wan tries to reason with him, pleads with him. Which is clearly the reference here.
I don't disagree with that.
I was confused as to why Vader let Obi-Wan escape at the end. Surely a little bit of fire wouldn't stop him from getting to his greatest living rival. I'm hoping there's a motivated character reason for it and it isn't just a plot contrivance, but the show so far has not instilled in me that much confidence.
That said, if I'm being honest, I don't think this is like amazing writing or anything. It's fan fiction-y, but I feel that way about most Disney Star Wars at this point, even the stuff I like.
Some may have expected more.
There is a black woman on the show.
That's not relevant to the quality of this product. It may be relevant to some, but I think that's not real criticism.

Uh, no.

1. The existence of Vader is not a secret. The assumption of the suit is obvious because we knows how he left Darth Vader, the name he already had. But that doesn't matter, because nothing he ever says indicates he knew that before RotJ. Which is after he fought him in Star Wars.

Which matches Ob-Wan's words early in the film. About how when Anakin became Vader, he changed. That happened in RotS.

Not that I care at this point. But that's all fairly obvious.

No to both points. Nothing in ROTS suggests Obi-Wan knows Vader is alive nor that he knows about the cyborg suit. And the ROTJ convo was about Obi-Wan asking Anakin to leave the conflict behind. That never happened in ROTS. Obi-Wan went to Mustafar to kill Anakin. He never offered him an escape.

No to both points. Nothing in ROTS suggests Obi-Wan knows Vader is alive nor that he knows about the cyborg suit. And the ROTJ convo was about Obi-Wan asking Anakin to leave the conflict behind. That never happened in ROTS. Obi-Wan went to Mustafar to kill Anakin. He never offered him an escape.
Are you being obtuse?

Darth Vader is the name of Anakin Skywalker as a Sith Lord. Obi-Wan knows this. Darth Vader isn't a secret. Leia knows him in Star Wars. Obi-Wan knows how he left the guy who already had a metal arm.

Second, they are Force users. They can sense each other.

Third, when is the last time you watched RotS?

He tries to talk to him, Anakin refuses. They fight after Anakin attacks. He warns Anakin not to "try it" during the high ground moment. If he was there to simply kill Anakin, they wouldn't of happened.

What do you think the point of the line, "you really are lost" is exactly? Why does Obi talk to him, plead with him at the start? Why does he tell Anakin not to try it?

Are you being obtuse?

Darth Vader is the name of Anakin Skywalker as a Sith Lord. Obi-Wan knows this. Darth Vader isn't a secret. Leia knows him in Star Wars. Obi-Wan knows how he left the guy who already had a metal arm.

Second, they are Force users. They can sense each other.

Third, when is the last time you watched RotS?

He tries to talk to him, Anakin refuses. They fight after Anakin attacks. He warns Anakin not to "try it" during the high ground moment. If he was there to simply kill Anakin, they wouldn't of happened.

What do you think the point of the line, "you really are lost" is exactly? Why does Obi talk to him, plead with him at the start? Why does he tell Anakin not to try it?

Not being obtuse. I think you failed to interpret the ROTJ scene between Vader and Luke. In ROTS Obi-Wan is there to murder Anakin. Not once during the fight does Obi-Wan say "You know what? **** this. Let's just leave it all behind."

Vader brings up that convo to Luke which didn't happen in ROTS but will happen in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series in episodes to come.

I think flashbacks with him are inevitable. Betting we'll see them next episode given Obi Wan's current condition.
Yeah, i agree. Now that Obi-Wan saw what Anakin has become, it's very possible we'll see a few flashbacks. I'm hoping we see some new scenes, maybe recreating an exchange during clone wars.

Had to edit my post to comment on this:
You've opened up a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. But I'm gonna anyway. :o Some Clone Wars ones as they're easy to pull out of sequence due to the show's structure.

1. Domino Squad (3.01, 1.05, 3.02)
2. So long as you get the gist of Ahsoka being his padawan, you can probably skip the movie if you weren't feeling it.
3. Battle of Ryloth (1.19, 1.20, 1.21)
4. Cad Bane (2.01, 2.02, 2.03)
5. The Second Battle of Geonosis (2.05, 2.06, 2.07, 2.08)
6. The Mandalore Plot (2.12, 2.13, I'd suggest just skipping 14 unless you really want to)
7. Nighsisters (3.12, 3.13, 3.14)
8. Mortis (3.15, 3.16, 3.17)
9. The Citadel (3.18, 3.19, 3.20)
10. Padawan Lost (3.21, 3.22)
11. The Battle of Umbara (4.07, 4.08, 4.09, 4.10)
12. Slaves of the Republic (4.11, 4.12, 4.13)
13. Obi-Wan Undercover (4.15, 4.16, 4.17, 4.18)
14. Ventress (4.19, 4.20)
15. Brothers (4.21, 4.22, 5.01)
16. Mauldalore (5.14, 5.15, 5.16)
17. The Jedi Who Knew Too Much (5.17, 5.18, 5.19, 5.20)
18. Orders (6.01, 6.02, 6.03, 6.04)
19. Yoda and the Force (6.11, 6.12, 6.13)
20. The Bad Batch (7.01, 7.02, 7.03, 7.04)
21. The Siege of Mandalore (7.09, 7.10, 7.11, 7.12)
Some great episodes there. My faves are Innocents of Ryloth and Landing at Point Rain :D

Last edited:
Not being obtuse. I think you failed to interpret the ROTJ scene between Vader and Luke. In ROTS Obi-Wan is there to murder Anakin. Not once during the fight does Obi-Wan say "You know what? **** this. Let's just leave it all behind."

Vader brings up that convo to Luke which didn't happen in ROTS but will happen in the Obi-Wan Kenobi series in episodes to come.
Eh. I agree, Yoda sent him there to murder Anakin, but I think it's pretty clear that Obi-Wan would much rather have tried to reach the good in him.

No one hates Star Wars more than the fandom itself, is what I've come to find out. :funny:

Its got some good elements but as a whole it's nothing special. And thats the big problem for me. It should be something special. It should not have been treated like just another Disney+ show. It should have had a prestige budget, and been approached with the same eye for quality as a Saga film. Lord knows Disney and the star wars coffers could have afforded it.
more interesting is, why did Reva know Vader is Anakin
She was in the Jedi Temple during the Order 66 massacre and heard clones address Anakin as Lord Vader. Then when she was captured by the Inquiaition and converted and indoctrinated she met Vader again.

No Yoda sent him to kill Vader. Obi didn't want to and couldn't. Its why he didnt want to go to mustafar. He knew he didn't have the detachment and resolve to kill his brother. When he got there he tried reason, and when that didn't work he defended himself. Most of the duel Obi is in constant retreat and defense because he doesn't want to kill Anakin. Then he begs Anakin not to jump, and instead of killing anakin, which he absolutely could have done when Anakin was in the air, he only removes his legs and arm. And Obi left him to burn because he couldn't bring himself to deliver the killing blow. He hoped the fire and trauma would kill him.

Part of Obi's horror when he found out Anakin lives is that he knows the suffering Anakin has endured because of his choice to not kill Anakin. He didn't kill anakin, because of his own attachment and weakness, and because of that Anakin has suffered horribly for 10 long years. That suffering has pushed him further into the dark side's embrace, and because of that the galaxy has suffered more. Obi feels guilty as hell, and its put him into an emotional tailspin.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"