Paul Dano is Edward Nashton aka "The Riddler"

On repeated viewings I tend to favour Colin's Penguin over Dano's Riddler. The Penguin basically stays consistent throughout the film. Dano was at his best when he was playing The Riddler as cold and menacing. He felt a bit prey to the usual movie villian with some of his yelling/giggling/ and exagerated movments which kind of took me out of his character. I thought his quieter moments were his strongest. Dano can be a master at playing a sniveling type of character and I would have liked to have seen more of that in the interogation scene.

I thought Dano played the character perfectly as it was written, but I kinda wish this Riddler had more narcissism to him.

he seemed pretty narcissistic to me though?
It felt more like he had a victim complex, and he was genuinely advocating for change in Gotham (by insane means, mind you).

By narcissism, I mean more of a "I'm doing this because I'm bored and people are too stupid to stop me" type of vibe.

The only lines that came off a bit narcassistic was the 'you're not as smart as I thought you were'.. or the 'my strength is up here (points to head)" Otherwise ya, I'd agree he came off as more of a victim of the system.

It felt more like he had a victim complex, and he was genuinely advocating for change in Gotham (by insane means, mind you).

By narcissism, I mean more of a "I'm doing this because I'm bored and people are too stupid to stop me" type of vibe.

Which is classic comic Riddler. At first I was disappointed Riddler was less of a more different John Doe-esque Riddler and more classic Riddler when it came down to it, and was taken aback by the over the top nature at times, but I've turned around on it. For what it is, I love the irony that despite his posturing and exposing people's true nature, he's no better as this pathetic guy underneath it all.

Those two polaroids in his apartment with his mask and without it are very eerie.

I mean to be honest this version was more a hybrid of Riddler and Anarky. That's not a complaint, mind you. Just voicing a preference is all.

Like, how bone-chilling would it have been if Riddler used his online videos to manipulate his followers into doing his bidding, but he actually didn't a **** about them or their "cause" at all? All just to feed his own personal narcissism and prove how easily people can be manipulated when you hit the right emotional pressure points.

I mean to be honest this version was more a hybrid of Riddler and Anarky. That's not a complaint, mind you. Just voicing a preference is all.

Like, how bone-chilling would it have been if Riddler used his online videos to manipulate his followers into doing his bidding, but he actually didn't a **** about them or their "cause" at all? All just to feed his own personal narcissism and prove how easily people can be manipulated when you hit the right emotional pressure points.
The man didn’t even follow back any of his followers haha. Safe to say that he doesn’t give a crap about any of them and was just using an army to help him execute his plan.

I'm not sure we really get enough insight into Ed's psyche to know. He probably sees his followers as an extension of himself and therefore he "cares" for them in that way. I would say he is ideologically aligned with them, even if he's bringing his own baggage to the table like his hatred for the Waynes.

I basically just took him as "head incel".

In a way you're both right. He cared enough about them to let them borrow his identity to carry out his plans, but he also couldn't have cared about them - like most cultists - because they were expendable to his eyes. He was safe in Arkham. They were walking into a death trap.

On repeated viewings I tend to favour Colin's Penguin over Dano's Riddler. The Penguin basically stays consistent throughout the film. Dano was at his best when he was playing The Riddler as cold and menacing. He felt a bit prey to the usual movie villian with some of his yelling/giggling/ and exagerated movments which kind of took me out of his character. I thought his quieter moments were his strongest. Dano can be a master at playing a sniveling type of character and I would have liked to have seen more of that in the interogation scene.

Totally agree. When he starts squealing, or raising his voice, the characters just comes off as annoying, not scary. The moment he starts singing Ave Maria is meant to be eerie, but just ends up being unintentionally funny.

I'd be fine if we never saw Riddler again.

Totally agree. When he starts squealing, or raising his voice, the characters just comes off as annoying, not scary. The moment he starts singing Ave Maria is meant to be eerie, but just ends up being unintentionally funny.

He's supposed to be annoying, not scary.

Sounds like he did his job. Riddler is annoying, not scary. It’s his actions that are scary. And he knows he’s not intimidating. He’s a weasel. He’s pathetic. That’s the character in the comics that I’ve read, the shows that I’ve watched and this movie included. The Ave Maria moment is both eerie and hilarious because it’s Dano delivering it. I thought it was the perfect blend.

I'm pretty Reeves and Dano actually were trying to depict Riddler as Scary. He's certainly scary when we first see him. And I seriously doubt Reeves wanted the audience to to find him "hilarious" when he's singing Ave Maria, particularly in what is supposed to be a tense scene.

I'm pretty Reeves and Dano actually were trying to depict Riddler as Scary. He's certainly scary when we first see him. And I seriously doubt Reeves wanted the audience to to find him "hilarious" when he's singing Ave Maria, particularly in what is supposed to be a tense scene.
Yes, they wanted him to be taking seriously when he introduces himself to his followers with a jovial "hey guys".

Batman's reaction to the dark web video:

soyadi-pamuk-olan-insan-agirligi_1053314.gif

You're not disproving my point, Eddie.

So you're saying when Riddler starts singing Ave Maria in a falsetto that the audience is supposed to find this hilarious?

That's interesting. Most other movies would try not to undermine their villain (and the drama of the scene) by making the audience laugh at them, particularly when they've just revealed their big plot to the hero, who punches the screen in anger.

You don’t cast Dano in things unless you know what he can bring. Dano has never given a performance in his career that didn’t have some level of comedy to it. Especially in his screaming. It’s intentional. It’s one of the funniest performances in cbm villain history. And it’s also one of the creepiest. It’s dark humour. That’s the character.

That's interesting. Most other movies would try not to undermine their villain (and the drama of the scene) by making the audience laugh at them, particularly when they've just revealed their big plot to the hero, who punches the screen in anger.
This isn’t most other movies I guess.

The whole scene with Arthur Fleck and Gary in the apartment...that’s the definition of skin crawling shock and dark (hilarious) comedy rolled into one. But not in a “damn he’s pathetic” kinda way, which is what Riddler’s scenes have. Anytime Riddler has a freakout scene or is “online”, it’s creepy and hilarious at the same time. And if you want to achieve that balance, look no further than Paul Dano. Perfect casting for a jabroni character like that.

That’s why I always shake my head when ppl say it had no comedy. Penguin and Riddler were so funny in this. Even Batman’s line when Selina walks through the Iceberg Lounge had me and my friend laughing our ass off. “That’s the guy I got into it with the other night....looks like I broke his nose.” Lmao Batman is so proud of himself. It’s the best.

Riddler should be funny and weird and creepy and ridiculous. If ppl want to see Ave Maria scene as seriously creepy , they can. I’ve seen some YouTube reactions to that scene where they didn’t laugh. And then you have a lot of us here who know Dano’s ticks and found it hilarious. The scene isn’t a death where one character cracks a joke right after. That’s not the same thing. It’s just one of those scenes where you take it however you want to take it.

When Dano gets his head shoved into mud by Daniel Plainview or when Daniel is trying to murder him with bowling pins...it is pretty f’d up stuff. But because of Dano and the way it’s directed, it’s also reaaaally funny. Paul just has that thing about him. He can’t help himself. And Reeves seems to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"