The Dark Knight Nolan more excited about Hoffman than Penguin

Morgoth said:
Nolan's going to ruin these movies with the whole stupid reality thing. It's a comic book, you have a movie about a guy in a bat suit, get over it.

He's too hung up on not doing another B&R, he's already shown it can be serious, you go from there, look at the comics, they aren't stupid and they have larger than life characters, 'cause it's a comic book, okay don't look at the 60's books but, modern books show how cool it can be. There are alot of stories they are going to miss out on from Nolan's lack of imagination.:dew:
*disagrees with Morgoth*

...what? Everybody's doing it.

There are certain characters that are easier to mesh with the more real take on Batman we're doing. The Penguin would be tricky.

I don't quite understand what Nolan's saying here. How would the Penguin be tricky with the "real take" of Batman. Out of all of Batman's rogues, The Penguin is one of the more down to earth characters. He doesn't have powers, he's not a Clayface type of character. He's a gangster type who just happens to be short, fat and have a really long nose.

We're forgetting Nolan isn't an expert on the stories of Batman. He shows a fundamental understanding of how/what makes the character tick, but other things such as villains, are pretty new to him.

I'd wager his knowledge of the villains only go as far as what's been shown to the mainstream eye. Which is why he was smart enough to hire people around him that are comic book fans. He's not one himself (At least to the extent that they are), which explains why he might not think Penguin is as "real" as you can get from Batman's rogue gallery.

Do we really know that, though? I'm not saying he is an expert of Batman, but it's obvious he's been a fan for a while, his brother's admittedly a fan, and supposedly, he read some of the most important Batman works out there (Year One, The Long Halloween - in which a rather normal, up-to date interpretation of the Penguin is featured). Seems like he should know whether or not the Penguin is a really looney guy or not.

Retroman said:
I guess this means Penguins out?

He was never in to begin with, as I had been saying on here months ago to the disbelief of many...

At least a cameo.... screw Hoffman and get someone else...

Who knows. Nevah say nevah. A long while back Sam Raimi said something that made us believe we would nevah see Venom on screen and now look.

Penguin sucks what's wrong with you people...

RedIsNotBlue said:
Who knows. Nevah say nevah. A long while back Sam Raimi said something that made us believe we would nevah see Venom on screen and now look.

Sony kind of had more to do with Venom appearing then Sam Raimi. Besides Venom is in a different League then freaking penguin.

Eros said:
Sony kind of had more to do with Venom appearing then Sam Raimi. Besides Venom is in a different League then freaking penguin.
Yes, Venom is a far more umbelievable and stupid character.

Eros said:

It was neither. Avi Arad influenced Raimi to heed the fans in selecting villains.

Eros said:

Regardless...like I said and Sir Caine would. Nevah say nevah. I honestly could care a less if the Penguin is ever done I think there is more interesting villains but who knows.

penguin may not be in it...but there will be a British arms dealer....

maybe the "penguin" will be in the 3rd?...

he will hire Earle to run his company while he is in the shadows....and then we'll have a Bruce Wayne/Batman villain that attacks him with and without the costume..

I think the Penguin/Hoffman story started at BOF and they said at the time that it was from the best source.

I don't think it's necessary to have Penguin in any kind of major role in this series. At the same time, I think it would be an excellent idea to establish him as the club owner with shady dealings underneath that Batman would have to go to to get information from. Think of how he was handled in The New Batman-Superman Adventures. Something like that. That way, you can do whatever other villains you want for the main villain, and you're not wasting the opportunity by having Batman go to interrogate just some shmuck for the information--you get to see Penguin.

Antonello Blueberry said:
Penguin.jpg
Carmine Falcone, no?

IAmTheKnight said:
I don't think it's necessary to have Penguin in any kind of major role in this series. At the same time, I think it would be an excellent idea to establish him as the club owner with shady dealings underneath that Batman would have to go to to get information from. Think of how he was handled in The New Batman-Superman Adventures. Something like that. That way, you can do whatever other villains you want for the main villain, and you're not wasting the opportunity by having Batman go to interrogate just some shmuck for the information--you get to see Penguin.

Interesting angle.

It is easy to show The Penguin, but it is also hard to introduce this character with making sense in storyline.

I think he'd just look too funny onscreen.....making me laugh every time he goes "quack" or whatever....

Morgoth said:
Nolan's going to ruin these movies with the whole stupid reality thing. It's a comic book, you have a movie about a guy in a bat suit, get over it.

He's too hung up on not doing another B&R, he's already shown it can be serious, you go from there, look at the comics, they aren't stupid and they have larger than life characters, 'cause it's a comic book, okay don't look at the 60's books but, modern books show how cool it can be. There are alot of stories they are going to miss out on from Nolan's lack of imagination.:dew:

Peace, foul Melkor. Do you not have deeds enough to occupy your mind without dwelling on things that haven't happened? None can see the future, least of all you. Yet you are so sure that Nolan is going to ruin these movies? Wasn't Batman Begins tonally faithful to the source books?

I know it's your function to create discord in the harmony. But your discord is temporary. Now be gone.

ChrisBaleBatman said:
I think he'd just look too funny onscreen.....making me laugh every time he goes "quack" or whatever....

Then dont have him say "quack". Problem solved.

I think there's a problem with an arms dealer calling himself The Penguin.

I wish this series would just stick to the Joker, Two-Face and Mob type villains.

Punch said:
I think there's a problem with an arms dealer calling himself The Penguin.
You can easily solve that by having the "Penguin" be a coined nickname, given to him by his peers, which he happens to hate. Tons of real-life mobsters preferred their real names, only to be called a certain nickname behind their back.

Crooklyn said:
You can easily solve that by having the "Penguin" be a coined nickname, given to him by his peers, which he happens to hate. Tons of real-life mobsters preferred their real names, only to be called a certain nickname behind their back.

I could go with that, provided it's not over-used, and that he doesn't act like a penguin, or has any overt penguin-like qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"