• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Physical properties of SandMan

Mister Gone

Master of His Toaster!
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
388
Reaction score
0
Points
36
I just had a thought. If Raimi is going to try to keep Sandman as physically possible as he can, that means no massive city block covering sandstorms. There is only so much mass Sandman would have to work with, i.e. the volume that a (let's say) 225 lbs man would displace. Now sand can only be compacted so far, and even at it's maximum density, it would not provide enough material for Sandman to completely bury Spiderman and have enough left over to create an upper torso with limbs and a head, much less weapons on his arms with sufficient density to cause any real harm. The only way to explain any kind of mass gained would be that he is drawing mass from an extra-dimensional source, which is kinda wiggy. That or he has the ability to mentally control sand, again kind of out there.
I am kind of expecting a lot of very creative uses for the mass he's got, and not so much Mummy-esqe sand storms and what not. My other concern is that sand stone is one of the weaker materials out there and if Sandman were to make himself as dense as possible, a superhuman at the level of Spiderman would have little trouble just punching a chunk clean off him (heck a normal human with a sledge could do it)
I hypothesize that they will introduce some sort of "super sand". A substance that can increase and decrease it's physical size at a molecular level and yet maintain it's integrity. Also, it is a much more structured crystalline body, allowing it to be compacted into a solid form with much higher physical resistance than regular sand.

Why anyone would make something like that is beyond me, but it kind of solve the problems.

What do you guys think?
 
Mister Gone said:
I just had a thought. If Raimi is going to try to keep Sandman as physically possible as he can, that means no massive city block covering sandstorms. There is only so much mass Sandman would have to work with, i.e. the volume that a (let's say) 225 lbs man would displace. Now sand can only be compacted so far, and even at it's maximum density, it would not provide enough material for Sandman to completely bury Spiderman and have enough left over to create an upper torso with limbs and a head, much less weapons on his arms with sufficient density to cause any real harm. The only way to explain any kind of mass gained would be that he is drawing mass from an extra-dimensional source, which is kinda wiggy. That or he has the ability to mentally control sand, again kind of out there.
I am kind of expecting a lot of very creative uses for the mass he's got, and not so much Mummy-esqe sand storms and what not. My other concern is that sand stone is one of the weaker materials out there and if Sandman were to make himself as dense as possible, a superhuman at the level of Spiderman would have little trouble just punching a chunk clean off him (heck a normal human with a sledge could do it)
I hypothesize that they will introduce some sort of "super sand". A substance that can increase and decrease it's physical size at a molecular level and yet maintain it's integrity. Also, it is a much more structured crystalline body, allowing it to be compacted into a solid form with much higher physical resistance than regular sand.

Why anyone would make something like that is beyond me, but it kind of solve the problems.

What do you guys think?


dude 90 percent of theater goers dont give a **** about science and reality in movies and me as a life long spidey fan dont either, you raise some damn good points but in a general theatre goers sense (the reality escapers and fantasy seekers) it's all just potatoes.
 
The offspring said:
dude 90 percent of theater goers dont give a **** about science and reality in movies and me as a life long spidey fan dont either, you raise some damn good points but in a general theatre goers sense (the reality escapers and fantasy seekers) it's all just potatoes.
Yup! either way Spidey is going to get sand in his butt crack :D
 
I was just saying I hope it's not anything too crazy unbeleivable
 
Mister Gone said:
I was just saying I hope it's not anything too crazy unbeleivable

i weren't having a go at ya buddy, your points are 100 percent valid but i know that most people wont really be that turned off if some crazy **** goes down with the man of sand
 
Too true, I was trying to think of something that blew the suspension of disbeleif away in a Marvel movie but I really can't think of anything too bad. I always hate when there is something so jarringly unfathomable that it yanks you right out of the movie world, like a Wookie doing a Tarzan yell.
 
Mister Gone said:
Too true, I was trying to think of something that blew the suspension of disbeleif away in a Marvel movie but I really can't think of anything too bad. I always hate when there is something so jarringly unfathomable that it yanks you right out of the movie world, like a Wookie doing a Tarzan yell.

or a predator teming up with a human
 
If people can accept a man being bitten by a spider and gaining spider powers, if people can accept an experimental gas to give a person super strenght etc, if people can accept a man being fused with cybernetic tentacles which control his "higer brain functions", i'm sure it'll be acceptable for a man to turn into sand.
 
venom4life said:
If people can accept a man being bitten by a spider and gaining spider powers, if people can accept an experimental gas to give a person super strenght etc, if people can accept a man being fused with cybernetic tentacles which control his "higer brain functions", i'm sure it'll be acceptable for a man to turn into sand.

^Exactly.
 
venom4life said:
If people can accept a man being bitten by a spider and gaining spider powers, if people can accept an experimental gas to give a person super strenght etc, if people can accept a man being fused with cybernetic tentacles which control his "higer brain functions", i'm sure it'll be acceptable for a man to turn into sand.
And yeah, I would accept that with no problems, now if that man were to immediatly gain several thousands of times his own mass to, say, fill a city block with a sand storm, I might become skeptical. If that same man formed a large hammer out of his arm and smashed a Man-Spider with it, I would buy it,but then transform himself into a sandstone wall only a few inches thick and stop and on coming truck, I would spit out my ju-ju bee's all over the guy in front of me.
I'm not saying I don't buy Sandman as a character, I just hope they don;t go too over the top.
 
venom4life said:
If people can accept a man being bitten by a spider and gaining spider powers, if people can accept an experimental gas to give a person super strenght etc, if people can accept a man being fused with cybernetic tentacles which control his "higer brain functions", i'm sure it'll be acceptable for a man to turn into sand.


i agree:)
 
venom4life said:
If people can accept a man being bitten by a spider and gaining spider powers, if people can accept an experimental gas to give a person super strenght etc, if people can accept a man being fused with cybernetic tentacles which control his "higer brain functions", i'm sure it'll be acceptable for a man to turn into sand.


That's one to grow on
 
Mister Gone said:
I just had a thought. If Raimi is going to try to keep Sandman as physically possible as he can, that means no massive city block covering sandstorms. There is only so much mass Sandman would have to work with, i.e. the volume that a (let's say) 225 lbs man would displace. Now sand can only be compacted so far, and even at it's maximum density, it would not provide enough material for Sandman to completely bury Spiderman and have enough left over to create an upper torso with limbs and a head, much less weapons on his arms with sufficient density to cause any real harm. The only way to explain any kind of mass gained would be that he is drawing mass from an extra-dimensional source, which is kinda wiggy. That or he has the ability to mentally control sand, again kind of out there.
I am kind of expecting a lot of very creative uses for the mass he's got, and not so much Mummy-esqe sand storms and what not. My other concern is that sand stone is one of the weaker materials out there and if Sandman were to make himself as dense as possible, a superhuman at the level of Spiderman would have little trouble just punching a chunk clean off him (heck a normal human with a sledge could do it)
I hypothesize that they will introduce some sort of "super sand". A substance that can increase and decrease it's physical size at a molecular level and yet maintain it's integrity. Also, it is a much more structured crystalline body, allowing it to be compacted into a solid form with much higher physical resistance than regular sand.

Why anyone would make something like that is beyond me, but it kind of solve the problems.

What do you guys think?

Oh no, don't think up things and post about them. This is the spoiler section for only teh spoilerz, noob, lol. :down just kidding.

I know what you're saying. I expect a scene to possibly take place at the beach on coney island or whatever other beaches there are here in new york (I haven't been to one here in years). Then he can use as much sand as they want..
 
I understand what you're saying and it makes total sense but I think the realm of believability will be breached. They probably won't engulf New York in sand but I would like to see Sandman turn to rock or make his hand into a mace.
 
Mister Gone said:
I was just saying I hope it's not anything too crazy unbeleivable
man gets bit by spider, gains spider like powers, becomes super hero.
hmmm. thats believable:)
 
Nebins said:
I understand what you're saying and it makes total sense but I think the realm of believability will be breached. They probably won't engulf New York in sand but I would like to see Sandman turn to rock or make his hand into a mace.

For Sandman's powers they should just make him do whatever is the most visually spectacular.
 
I think the point Mister Gone is trying to make,is that with Sandman the leap of reality is a huge one compared to Spidey or Ock or GG.

I mean Spider-Man's change was genetic.That's not incredibally unbelievable.He's still a boy,just with certain genetic enhancements.

Doc Ock had his tentacles connected to his spinal chord.For them to get welded to it and respond to his mental thoughts because they're tapped into his spine is not so incredible to believe.

GG got enhanced strength from a serum designed to enhance human performance,but with the nasty side effects of violence and insanity.Again that's not a huge leap of the imagination.

Sandman,is a being made of actual sand.Yet he lives and breathes.Changes his body mass to epic proportions.Can dissolve into the ground.Can be killed by water.Now that is a massive leap of the imagination.
 
Agreed ock.

Humans have had weird ripley's believe it or not genetic mutations in real life.

Attaching mechanical limbs that respond to electronic signals from the brain is actually totally believable.

GG basically got super steroids and lost his mind.

It confuses me that raimi went with cameron's more realistic approach to spidey yet now there's sandman making an appearance and he's probably the most unrealistic villian. We've crossed over from the world of dick tracy to something else. Who knows how they'll do his powers yet...
 
Doc Ock said:
I think the point Mister Gone is trying to make,is that with Sandman the leap of reality is a huge one compared to Spidey or Ock or GG.

I mean Spider-Man's change was genetic.That's not incredibally unbelievable.He's still a boy,just with certain genetic enhancements.

Doc Ock had his tentacles connected to his spinal chord.For them to get welded to it and respond to his mental thoughts because they're tapped into his spine is not so incredible to believe.

GG got enhanced strength from a serum designed to enhance human performance,but with the nasty side effects of violence and insanity.Again that's not a huge leap of the imagination.

Sandman,is a being made of actual sand.Yet he lives and breathes.Changes his body mass to epic proportions.Can dissolve into the ground.Can be killed by water.Now that is a massive leap of the imagination.

Actually I read a long article on MSNBC about how they could make a real life Doctor Octopus if they wanted to. But it would be very risky. And it would involve surgery on a fetus.

A real life spider-man is possible, we just currently have no technological means of making one. Even the spider-sense is possible. all you need is a brain that works faster.

green golbin really requires no more explanation than what you gave.

Sandman is one hundred percent impossible.
 
Wesyeed said:
It confuses me that raimi went with cameron's more realistic approach to spidey yet now there's sandman making an appearance and he's probably the most unrealistic villian. We've crossed over from the world of dick tracy to something else. Who knows how they'll do his powers yet...

When you think of Spidey's main villains,Sandman is the most far fetched one of the lot,power wise that is.Electro is stretching the imagination a bit too.But having the body generating electricity is not nearly as far fetched as a living body of sand.

It will be interesting to see Sandman's explanation,because Ock and GG got great scientific descriptions of their power in the movies.But then,like I said,their powers are somewhat plausible.

Spider-Bite said:
Actually I read a long article on MSNBC about how they could make a real life Doctor Octopus if they wanted to.

LOL! Damn that would be cool.Just don't get a test subject who's a arrogant,egotistical,power hungry sociopath :)
 
Doc Ock said:
I think the point Mister Gone is trying to make,is that with Sandman the leap of reality is a huge one compared to Spidey or Ock or GG.

I mean Spider-Man's change was genetic.That's not incredibally unbelievable.He's still a boy,just with certain genetic enhancements.

Doc Ock had his tentacles connected to his spinal chord.For them to get welded to it and respond to his mental thoughts because they're tapped into his spine is not so incredible to believe.

GG got enhanced strength from a serum designed to enhance human performance,but with the nasty side effects of violence and insanity.Again that's not a huge leap of the imagination.

Sandman,is a being made of actual sand.Yet he lives and breathes.Changes his body mass to epic proportions.Can dissolve into the ground.Can be killed by water.Now that is a massive leap of the imagination.

Thank you, that was the point I was trying to get across :) Sandman is almost as unbeleivable as a living goo from another planet taking over someone in their sleep and forcing them to swing around the city doing ill.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
200,632
Messages
21,777,237
Members
45,615
Latest member
TheCat
Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"