Giantman
Wonderman
Hulk

cap america - leadership
iron man - finance/ technology/ brains/power
spider-man - brains/ agility/ power
thor - power
the wasp - stealth
hawkeye - stealth/ accuracy/ tech (some of his arrows can do things iron man can't)
Think this is a good balance of characters too. Maybe She-Hulk instead of Spider-Man - he doesnt really work too well in groups and although thats one less brain spidey usually acts like a dope and it gives a bigger hard hitter (and fills the woman quota). Then again i could keep both she-hulk and spider-man... yeah!
She-Hulk :)

My team that actually consists of serious characters (owned by Marvel):

Captain America- A must-have. Even Bendis couldn't argue that.
Iron Man- A *****, but a rich *****e.
Thor- Chick with the hammer.
Hulk- In a team of "Earth's Mightiest", he belongs, and it creates that all important thing known as tension.
Dr. Pym- Is several superheros already, and has the brains.
Spider-Man- Kisses woman upside-down.
Wasp- Longtime Avenger, also good for sexing up Pym.
Firestar- Fills the 'young, less experienced hero' quota that Bendis thinks Spider-Man fills.
Dr. Strange- Why he has never been an Avenger makes no sense to me.
Hawkeye- Resident 'bad boy/attitude problem/Wolverine'.
Scarlet Witch- Not crazy.
Quicksilver- Speedster.

I'll buy most of them, but Dr. Strange is a Defender, that is why he isn't an Avenger... although on that same note Hulk was an Avenger and a Defender.

Hulk, these days, woulnd't reallly fit on an Avengers team. "Dr. Banner" would as one of their tech consultants....

This was what being an Avenger was supposed to be like. with more member Tony and Cap were treating him like a kid anymore, Peter had to laugh as he remembered that slot had been filled by that Firestar girl. He had to remember to take her out for a drink with MJ to apologize. Hawkeye was quite stand-offish. the first thing he'd said to Peter when he moved back into the tower was "I might as well be back in Detroit". Peter wasn't sure what that meant but he let it go.

"Hey Dr. B," Peter greeted Bruce Banner.

"Mr. Parker," Bruce greeted. he hobbled over to Peter using a cane. even his Banner body wasn't recovered from his time spent off Earth. "How are you today?"

"Pretty good, ready for my lessons?" Peter asked.

Ever since Bruce Banner had returned, acting as a scientific advisor to the Avengers, Peter had been working to complete his own doctorate by taking lessons with Bruce Banner, after all radio-activity and genetic recombination were what he wanted to specialize in.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather Hank helped you?" Bruce offered as he always did as he lead Peter into the lab. Bruce took out some pills and swallowed them. they were tranquilizers, to keep his mood from becoming elevated enough to transform.

"Positive," Peter said. Despite the fact that Dr. Pym was a brilliant scientist, Peter couldn't help but have hang ups about the man. he had betrayed the Avengers several times, beat his wife, and Dr. Banner was smarter than him but Pym treated Bruce like a leper. "So, we left off yesterday with..."

Upstairs in the lower security penthouse MJ and the Wasp were discussing Mary-Jane's latest gig, and the possiblity that MJ would model some of the Wasp's latest line of clothing.

Mary-Jane had already dedcided she would do the job, but she was going to make Janet haggle to get her. out of the corner of her eye, Mary-Jane saw the Maximoff twins come in. Their powers had been restored to the levels they had been at when they were first activated, there was some suspicion that the Inhumans had been involved, but no proof. MJ felt sorry for them, even with what she knew. The Maximoff twins were treated like outcasts, despite being part of the team again. the only members who even spoke to them were Steve and her own husband. Even the other mutant, Firestar, avoided them.

Zoken beat me to it but: Doc Strange is a Defender, he cannot be an Avenger in my eyes. Wouldn't be right! just imo

Btw nice story Zoken, havnt been reading the thread but assume you've been doing them for loadsa situations. Thing is, on the pete doesnt like pym thang: pete hit MJ. once. by accident (kinda). but he did. Pym was under mental stress and is a good guy at heart. he's also less scary than bruce and pete went to pym for help during the wild blue yonder arc in MKSM to help with his spider tracers. Pym was very impressed but disappointed by the way pete had lacked to meet his potential and so if anyone would take interest in mentoring him (apart from tony), it would be Hank Pym. i think there's good evidence for it :)

remember what I said about the Hulk? he was an Avenger and a Defender...

yeah but i dont think hulk would ever be welcomed back to the avengers. different times...
Plus the point of defenders is to deal with different threats. Avengers would be taken into magical directions more often. (PS i updated my above post, read my views on Pym - want to know what you think!)

Ah... well regarding Hank Pym... I got biased against him from the Ultimate universe. I know its seperate but... first impressions and all that.

And don't forget, Peter's never been one to hesitate to hate himself.

Fact of the matter is I don't know much about Hank Pym in the 616 other than what I gleaned of Wikipedia a couple weeks ago. I just liked the idea of factions setting themselves up within the Avengers. Hank, Tony, Cap, Firestar, and the Wasp on the "Inside" and Hawkeye, Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver on the outside, and Thor just kind of being above the petty factioning.

Namor
Ghost Rider (Ketch)
Angel
Dr. Doom

see if you can guess the connection.

Zoken said:
Ah... well regarding Hank Pym... I got biased against him from the Ultimate universe. I know its seperate but... first impressions and all that.

Fact of the matter is I don't know much about Hank Pym in the 616 other than what I gleaned of Wikipedia a couple weeks ago. I just liked the idea of factions setting themselves up within the Avengers. Hank, Tony, Cap, Firestar, and the Wasp on the "Inside" and Hawkeye, Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver on the outside, and Thor just kind of being above the petty factioning.

Ulitimates is very cool. While it is a bit childish and cheesy I thought the "hulk no cissy, hulk straight" thing was hilarious!

Zoken said:

yeah... thats a good storytelling vision but for factions closer to how they would be in the mainstream 616 universe i think civil war kinda has that down.

Captain America
Ironman
Thor
The Sentry
Wonderman
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Yellow Jacket
The Vision
Hawkeye

Cap's squad: Hercules,Falcon,Bill Foster,Luke Cage,Thor

Tony's squad: Wonder Man,Ms Marvel,She-Hulk,Yellowjacket,Wasp

Well, I'm glad my lineup got a reaction. With the whole Defenders thing, remember that not only has the Hulk spent time in both groups, but so has Namor. The Avengers are supposed to be "Earth's Mightiest Heroes", and I'd put Dr. Strange in that category.

Marvel's running out of heroes. They keep de-powering and killing them.

The problem with the Avengers is that they are the premier team in the Marvel Universe, and they've always been imbalanced and didn't complement each other very well.

The current team of Avengers is clearly meant to be the "titans of Marvel" what with Spidey, Iron Man, Wolverine, etc. being team members. My concept goes with that, but uses characters that have vast potential but who have always been overshadowed by Captain America, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc. in their older appearances.

It should also be obvious that they're modeled after the Justice League:

Captain Britain
Ms. Marvel
Moon-Knight
Hawkeye (Clint Barton- yes, back from death!)
Mockingbird (Kate Bishop)
Sub-Mariner
Doctor Strange
Vision
Northstar
Moondragon

Note, I'm not sticking with the 6 + 2 formula. That's silly. This isn't D&D.

Captain Britain: Superman-type, lantern-jawed, good leader. Flight, strength, etc.

Ms. Marvel: Wonder-Woman type. Co-leader. Flight, strength, etc.

Moon-Knight: Batman type. Detective & mortal. Gadgets, skill, wits.

Hawkeye: Green Arrow type. Heart, guts, conscience, skill.

Mockingbird: Black Canary type. Combat skills, versatile, jack-of-all-trades.

Sub-Mariner: Aquaman type. Strength, ocean mastery, etc.

Doctor Strange: The magic dude. Every team needs one. Why not have the best? Doctor Fate of Marvel, basically.

Vision: Martian Manhunter type. Logic, power, innovative thinking, lonely.

Northstar: Super-speedster Flash type (but he can fly).

Moondragon: The telepath & all-around strange member of the team.

You can also choose to see the international flavor of the team, making it more than just a team of Americans and select foreigners/aliens defending America.

I think this would boost their power level back to a decent place, let some good characters get in the spotlight (if written well), and bust DC's chops a little bit (just for fun).

Changes I'd make:

Captain Britain: None. Perfect as is.
Ms. Marvel: None, except make her more mentally stable once and for all.
Moon-Knight: Darker, grittier, angrier at crime, more stealthy.
Hawkeye: Change his costume a bit. Purple is sooo 1980s.
Mockingbird: This young one would "graduate" to the big-time. Her newfound crush on Clint would be fun.
Sub-Mariner: A little less arrogant or alienated. Let him be part of the team and make some friends for once.
Doctor Strange: He is slightly younger (Magic!) and less arrogant and aloof, thanks to some lesson he learns.
Vision: Fine as-is. Just stop killing him and let him stop moping!
Northstar: Back to being a good guy with a sense of humor.
Moondragon: Remains mysterious, but is fiercely loyal to Avengers.

Alternately, swap Northstar for Iceman. Either way works.

Avengers
Dr. Druid
Hellcat
Herculese
Swordsmen
Hank Pym
Moondragon
Rage
Spider-Woman (black suit version)

Another possible line-up:

Captain America
Ms. Marvel
Doctor Strange
Storm
Spider-Man
Daredevil
Wolverine
The Hulk

This is "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" as the Marvel Universe sees it. According to the official Marvel guide, Ms. Marvel is the most famous superhuman in the world, thus her inclusion here. Storm is here to fill in the need for another woman (affirmative action is necessary in Marvel, as there aren't many A-list female characters), and I do believe she's one of the most powerful heroes out there when she really tries. Hulk & Wolvie would be reserve.

I think these represent the most famous and/or most powerful of Marvel's mainstream heroes. Of course, there are more powerful (Thor, for example) but I think more people know who Spider-Man or the Hulk are.

This is not my favorite line-up, but if Marvel wanted to keep up with the hype, this would be the logical group.

Personally, I prefer the "copy the Justice League" approach.

DC Busting Avengers

Cap
HuLK
Sentry
Moon Dragon
Dr. Strange
Thor
Quasar
Ironman
Sersi
Mr. Fantastic
Wonderman
Hawkeye (just for the hell of it)

Avengers
Silver Surfer
Sentry
Gladiator
Hulk
Thor
Pheonix
Invisible Woman
Blackbolt
Dr. Strange
Scarlet Witch

The MOST powerful Avengers ever!

Reserves:
She-Hulk
Beta Ray Bill
Ghost Rider
Cyclops
Mr. Fantastic
Vision

ZeroCorpse said:
Captain Britain
Ms. Marvel
Moon-Knight
Sub-Mariner
Doctor Strange
Vision
Northstar
Moondragon

"If it isn't one thing, its another," Carol groused under her breath. with her powers growing, Steve had decided to "spread the Wealth" of power and sent them to forms 'Avengers Continental' in Paris. Technically Captain Britain was in charge, but both Brian and Steve had made it clear she had considerable experience and thusly considerable influence. she was babysitting Braddock until he felt up to the task. terrific.

She walked into the common room and surveyed her team. Moondragon was giving Kate Bishop martial arts lessons, not that the girl wasn't already extremely apt. Northstar was chatting up Brian, Carol had to wonder if he was hitting on him or just talking. Namor seemed to be scowling at the entire room, while Vision spoke with Hawkeye, explaining much of what had been happening in the archer's absence. and the Good Doctor, as Carol decided to refer to Stephen Strange, was meditating and levitating. it took her a moment to remember that there was another member to her team, she turned to see Moon-Knight, standing behind her like some sort of wraith.

"You're too damn quiet Specter," she growled.

"I can't believe the team they stuck you with," he retorted, ignoring her accusation.

"What about the team?" she argued.

"The arrogant prince of the ocean," Marc offered.

"He's one of the most powerful super-humans on the planet.

"The newb," he gestured to Kate Bishop.

"Her team took down Kang the Conqueror, can you boast as much?"

"Moondragon," he responded finally.

Carol bit her lip and hesitated. "Well thats why you're here isn't it?" she finally allowed.

"So you admit you don't trust every person here?" he leveled.

"Yes, but on the top of the list of people in this room I don't trust is you." she glared at him, daring him to to return it.

"That's good," he said, smiling under his shroud. "I'm not trust worthy."

firestar
justice
the man called nova[ due to thier conection to the new warriors they are wrongly blamed for the stamford tragedy]
triathalon
gravity

ZeroCorpse said:
It should also be obvious that they're modeled after the Justice League:

Captain Britain
Ms. Marvel
Moon-Knight
Sub-Mariner
Doctor Strange
Vision
Northstar
Moondragon

cap britain has his own team in britain - y'd he want to move to america for?? rule britannia! :p

MyPokerShirt said:
zoken, lmao, you like making them argue dont you?

Well I figure that egos will get in the way. I see Carol as taking offense to being shipped off to France and put as second on the team. Brian, I decided isn't unconfident, but pre occupied with his team Excalibur back in England. so she is oft left as leader without the title. The fact of the matter is she's bluffing. she does trust Moon Knight because she knows he has nothing to gain from betraying them and he could probably be beaten by half of them there. Moon Knight is the Batman here. He's also the trump card on Moondragon (incase she goes rogue again) because he's immune to telepathic attacks. Most of the team gets a long okay. I don't like the idea of Kate Bishop having a crush on Hawkeye, more over she'd be annoyed that he showed up and took back the name she'd just been given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"