• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Poltergeist remake...

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/jared-harris-lands-poltergeist-lead/
Jared Harris Joins ‘Poltergeist’ Remake
By JEN YAMATO

EXCLUSIVE: Sherlock Holmes star Jared Harris has nabbed a lead role in MGM and Fox 2000′s Poltergeist remake. Harris will play Carrigan, a larger than life TV personality who left the world of academia behind to become the star host of basic cable TV show Haunted House Cleaners. Gil Kenan is directing from a script by David Lindsay-Abaire reimagining the 1982 Tobe Hooper horror classic. Rosemarie DeWitt was cast in the pic in July. Recent Harris credits include his stint on AMC’s Mad Men as Lane Pryce, his role as Ulysses S. Grant in Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, and Screen Gems’ The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. He appears next in Hammer & Liongate’s The Quiet Ones, FilmDistrict’s Pompeii, and Laika’s stop motion pic The Boxtrolls and will reunite with Sherlock Holmes helmer Guy Ritchie in WB’s The Man from U.N.C.L.E.. Harris is represented by Paradigm, Gateway Management and Independent in the U.K.
Errr.... so he's the new Tangina basically?

It'll take quite a bit of convincing to have faith in this project, even with Harris cast which I quite like.

as always, i have the original on dvd. if this sucks, it's not going to ruin my life.

"Poltergeist" Remake To Be A Kiddie Film?

By Garth Franklin Wednesday January 14th 2015 05:26PM
Say all you want about franchises getting too dark and serious these days, there are others who're trying a complete opposite approach with their films.
One that is unexpectedly going that way is the upcoming remake of "Poltergeist". Actor Sam Rockwell was out doing interviews recently and revealed that the new film will be less of a supernatural horror tale and more family-friendly than expected.
Speaking with Collider, Rockwell was asked about the differences between the new film and the 1982 original. He said:
"The ten-year-old boy is really the protagonist this time. JoBeth Williams was the protagonist for the most part in the first one and now the kid, it's really through his point-of-view.
So it's more of a kids' movie so I don't know if it's gonna be like rated-R scary. It's not like Conjuring type of scary. You know, it's a different kind of movie. It's more of an adventure. It's essentially a child abduction film when you come down to it. I mean, the original Poltergeist is too."
The MPAA initially gave the original Poltergeist an R rating before ultimately settling on a PG. Asked how much of the film he's seen, Rockwell says:
"I've seen a little in looping. I hope it's good. I really don't know. I really wish I could tell you. I'm praying that it's - I mean, it's gonna be hard to live up to the first one. The first one's pretty damn good. This one's gonna be in 3D though, I can tell you that."
20th Century Fox has the film currently slated for a July 24th release this year.

Well my interest just plummeted to -1 billion gagillion fafillion shabolubalu million illion yillion.

Take a horror movie known for the scares and turn it into a kid-friendly family film. They want this to flop, don't they?

Take a horror movie known for the scares and turn it into a kid-friendly family film. They want this to flop, don't they?

The original was PG, though that was 1980's PG, so this could be bad for this. Guess we'll see though.

When you consider the s*** they showed in that first movie, that PG in the 80s would be lucky to manage a PG-13 today.

The original was PG, though that was 1980's PG, so this could be bad for this. Guess we'll see though.
If they were to do that Poltergeist today it would easily get smacked with a PG-13 rating and probably need some minor cuts. It wasn't exactly a violent movie but it wasn't kid-friendly either.

The ratings board is so inconsistent.

To be fair, the original wasn't very scary for an adult, in fact, when i first watched it, it felt a bit like one of those scary films for family they used to do in the 80s-90s.

For adults it was tame but still entertaining. I remember a few scenes as a kid that were scary. But that was also a time of looser ratings. PG-13 had only just been created, for this and Temple of Doom. Doing a PG(no 13) rating sounds like it will be more like that Haunted House movie Eddie Murphy did about ten years back and not all that good.

I do remember Spielberg saying something about wanting it to bee a horror film for all the family to enjoy, though nowadays it has the reputation of being scarier than it actualy was, so i'm not sure a remake will easily be able to be sold to a family audience nowadays.

Kind of a shame, i think more horror films should be made for kids, Don't be afraid of the dark aparently was supposed to be like that, but got an R-Rating from what i hear.

"A horror movie the whole family can enjoy."

Get out a here with that ****, Spielberg. I'm not taking a little kid to a horror film and if the film is tame enough to take a kid to it then it's not a ****ing horror film.

So they couldn't do justice to the original, so they just go the crappy remake route. :o

The second one was scarier anyway with Henry Kane.

"A horror movie the whole family can enjoy."

Get out a here with that ****, Spielberg. I'm not taking a little kid to a horror film and if the film is tame enough to take a kid to it then it's not a ****ing horror film.

Horror is not specifically for adults. A lot of the Grimm fairy tales are horror stories. You realize that the classic Frankenstein and Dracula films from the 30s were considered horror films. Horror doesn't mean adult or child. You're thinking of gore which is a completely separate thing. Poltergeist is scarier than Saw for example but it's the gore that makes Saw rated R.

Jaws is a horror film that kids of a certain age can enjoy. Same with Poltergeist. There's nothing wrong with that.

I think it was Drew McWeeney of hitfix who said that he's heard terrible things about the remake. That the movie just doesn't work.

Horror is not specifically for adults. A lot of the Grimm fairy tales are horror stories. You realize that the classic Frankenstein and Dracula films from the 30s were considered horror films. Horror doesn't mean adult or child. You're thinking of gore which is a completely separate thing. Poltergeist is scarier than Saw for example but it's the gore that makes Saw rated R.

Jaws is a horror film that kids of a certain age can enjoy. Same with Poltergeist. There's nothing wrong with that.

No I'm not thinking about gore. I'm thinking about horror. It's supposed to scar the audience. Children have a much lower threshold than adults and adults can have a much higher threshold. What scares some adults would traumatize a child. So if they are going to make this film suitable for kids it's not going to be scary for most adults. And if it doesn't scare the majority of the audience it fails at being a horror film.

To use a recent horror film, would you take a young child to see Insidious? If they had tried to make that film for the whole family it would not have been anywhere near as creepy as it was. There are stuff in that film that could traumatize children. Would you take a kid to see The Conjuring? Would you take a kid to see Woman in Black? Those are modern horror films. That's the kind of stuff modern audiences find scary.

What they are talking about turning this Poltergeist remake into is something akin to The Hauntted Mansion, and that film was in no way whatsoever scary for adults. I guess it could be called Kiddie "horror". But it's not Horror for anyone over the age of 5.

The original Poltergeist, Jaws, and the 30s films were considered scary in their times but they aren't at all scary to today's audiences so using them for examples doesn't really work. We have to look at modern horror and what adult audiences are scared by and it sure isn't PG Haunted Mansion type stuff.

Last edited:
What they are talking about turning this Poltergeist remake into is something akin to The Hauntted Mansion, and that film was in no way whatsoever scary for adults. I guess it could be called Kiddie "horror". But it's not Horror for anyone over the age of 5.

The original Poltergeist, Jaws, and the 30s films were considered scary in their times but they aren't at all scary to today's audiences so using them for examples doesn't really work. We have to look at modern horror and what adult audiences are scared by and it sure isn't PG Haunted Mansion type stuff.

No, we have to look at the original Poltergeist since that's what this remake is. Would you take a kid to see The Exorcist? Would you take a kid to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Those films are still considered scary today to adult audiences. Poltergeist was never designed to be scary on the level of those films. My point still stands that there are different levels of horror. Always has been.

All of those movies are still pretty scary. I jumped out of my seat watching Jaws on TV a few months ago...

You're really not getting the meaning of a 'horror film for the whole family' comment. It's not meant to mean he wanted to make a Disney-fied movie you can take a six-year-old to, it's meant to be a film that's intense without all the gore and graphic violence (like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, for example).

It doesn't mean you can take your pre-schooler to it - I was 8 when Poltergeist came out and I wasn't allowed to see it then - but it was ok for the older kids to watch with the adults.

**** clowns, man.

**** clowns, man.
I have no issues with clowns usually, but the one in Poltergeist scared me beyond belief. Heck, to this day that scene freaks me out :wow: :woo:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"