Popular comic stories that you didn't really care for.

One incredibly popular comic book story that i personally didnt care for was gruenwalds Squadron Supreme and to this day it's still pretty much the only book ive ever picked up and never finished...
Dot get me wrong i get its IMPORTANCE in comic book history and its standing as the precursor to Watchmen and the '86 rennaissance but the fact that i get all of that only serves to make me angrier that it really didnt do anything for me... Maybe it's becuse i read Watchmen first...

Wanted definitely. It was just trying way too hard to be edgy for sure. All the more perverted and perverse versions of characters was too much. There wasnt anything to it really other than shock value. I actually liked the movie better than the comic. I didnt really enjoy the comic at all now that I think about it.

The killing joke just had an ending that pissed me off. Batman and the joker sharing a laugh after all the joker just did doesnt fit in any way. After reading this, I started looking at Moore as a talented but overhyped writer.

One incredibly popular comic book story that i personally didnt care for was gruenwalds Squadron Supreme and to this day it's still pretty much the only book ive ever picked up and never finished...
Dot get me wrong i get its IMPORTANCE in comic book history and its standing as the precursor to Watchmen and the '86 rennaissance but the fact that i get all of that only serves to make me angrier that it really didnt do anything for me... Maybe it's becuse i read Watchmen first...

I never read SS or Watchmen; I honestly never felt the urge to.

Kingdom Come. It was okay, but I really didn't feel that it deserved the praise it gets.

Marvel's Civil War and Skrull Invasion crossovers, I can't even imagine having to read that many worthless issues when you can get the lowdown by reading Wizard and the stupid Iron Spider-Man costume was the worst idea Marvel has ever had.

Another is the whole Marvel Zombie craze, if it were done my a master like Berni Wrightson then maybe I'd give it a try but it seems redundant having a miniseries every year.

Forgot to mention DC comics conniving ploy of having readers buy every crossover of their 52 series, ***** man do you know how expensive comics are these days?

Marvel's Civil War and Skrull Invasion crossovers, I can't even imagine having to read that many worthless issues when you can get the lowdown by reading Wizard and the stupid Iron Spider-Man costume was the worst idea Marvel has ever had.

Another is the whole Marvel Zombie craze, if it were done my a master like Berni Wrightson then maybe I'd give it a try but it seems redundant having a miniseries every year.

I never bothered.

Watchmen.I'm glad I got it for free.

Invincible by Kirkman is another overhyped series IMO.

Anything Zombie related.

Preacher. Just can't seem to get into it

I never read it, but it's my understanding that God is the villain in the book, Preacher is trying to track Him down to hold Him accountable for His crimes against humanity, & in the end, both God & Preacher get killed.
That about right?

1) All-Star Superman: Truly, what's so great about this story? It seems like average Elseworlds tale to me. Plus, Jimmy Olsen as Doomsday? WTF.

2) Batman RIP: Perhaps I don't have the "intellectual heft" to understand the great philosophical underpinings of Morrison's master Batwork, but I think for the most part the story is a mess. I don't get how Batman has been shaken to his core because he repressed a memory of something his father said about Zorro/vigilantes right before his parents were shot. If his parents had lived, maybe that incident would've changed his father's opinion. Who knows? People have said and done a lot worse to Batman over the years and that never stopped him, so why that? And then having Dr. Hurt possibly be the Devil, and having Batman defeat him, with a cliched helicopter explosion, was bull. I'm getting tired of Batman being this godlike figure that has a contingency for everything. He can never be stumped anymore. One of the most appealing things with Bats was that he was a human, but despite his flaws he found ways to compensate and overcome in a world of metahumans. But that doesn't mean he has to win all the time or knows everything.

3) Final Crisis: Just don't get it, and Morrison was taking too long to get wherever he's going.

4) Secret Invasion: Overhyped, and what was the purpose of bringing the 70's characters back. Did any of the 70's verisons turn out to be the real thing? I stopped reading after issue 2.

5) Kingdom Come: Don't understand why this story gets so much praise. It was fairly average. Though Alex Ross did a great job.

6) 52: I just don't care enough about the minor DC characters or am steeped enough in DC comic lore, which I guess is part of my problem with Final Crisis.

7) Wanted: The idea was cool, the execution not so much. I didn't like how they were trying to be ultra-cool, Eminem distracted me, and little stuff like calling his boss, "My African-American boss," was bad writing. (Who describes their boss that way?) I gave up on this book half-way through.

8) Astonishing X-Men: This just didn't grab me. I think the X-Men are played out and Whedon didn't do anything to change my opinion in that regard.

9) League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: I loved the concept and the artwork, but the story in Volume 1 at least was lackluster. I liked the movie better-gasp!

10) Y: The Last Man: Even though I loved most of the series, I thought the end largely sucked. They never really explained the virus and they killed off one of my favorite characters.

Last edited:
The Killing Joke

I know it's not his "official" origin, but I just don't care for the Joker as being portrayed as yet another tragic villain.

He works better as being the Id personified.

But the great thing about TKJ is that it doesn't expect us to believe him, thats what makes it a great story for me. It makes it clear that he could be lying about everything.

7) Wanted: The idea was cool, the execution not so much. I didn't like how they were trying to be ultra-cool, Eminem distracted me, and little stuff like calling his boss, "My African-American boss," was bad writing. (Who describes their boss that way?) I gave up on this book half-way through.

I totally agree with the description of the boss.

Black Hole by Charles Burns was okay. I was expecting a lot more since I couldn't find the book though.:o

I totally agree with the description of the boss.

Black Hole by Charles Burns was okay. I was expecting a lot more since I couldn't find the book though.:o

I'm pretty sure that that was meant to be a joke about political correctness.

Ultimates 3 was a comic I was looking forward to after reading the first two. Then after reading the first issue of the Ultimates I couldn't read it anymore. I still haven't read the Dark Knight returns ever though I have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"