Popular comic stories that you didn't really care for.

Probably doesn't help that he's been hounded & villified his entire career.

Ha, that reminded me of Spider-Man: Web of Shadows. I'm playing it now, and if you swing around in the red suit, everyone's all "way to go, Spidey!" but as soon as you switch to the black suit, they start screaming and calling you a monster. I literally switched standing next to a pedestrian and they were like, "Yay, Spidey... boo, you monster!" :D

I could never get into Fantastic Four. I bought the first wo volumes of Ultimate Fantastic Four but it was just too campy for me.

I could never get into Fantastic Four. I bought the first wo volumes of Ultimate Fantastic Four but it was just too campy for me.
616 Fantastic Four is much better, but you might still think it's campy.

I like the FF as characters, but I'm not crazy about most of their stories. I feel like they have such great potential but it has yet to be realized. I feel the same way about Doom. I think he is arguably the greatest threat the comic book universe has ever known, & he wastes his talents pursuing a petty grudge against a man who struggles to get his bills paid, all because the guy outscored Doom on some tests? I own a country, you can barely pay your bills. I won!

Yeah, Doom's definitely petty. He wants Reed's acknowledgment that he's smarter than Reed, basically. He's got a superiority complex with everyone else and an inferiority complex with Reed. That's what makes him fun. That's also why the FF are the ones to beat him most often. He makes more mistakes with his judgment clouded by his jealousy and hatred of Reed.

That's true. Again, awesome character, stories could be better.
But then, how many villians that we love are just as petty? Darth Vader cuts off your air supply if you disagree with him. Red Skull freaked when Black Panther took off his gloves to fight him-showing more revulsion at the idea of a black man touching him than at getting his @$$ kicked. Lex Luthor would kill an entire village if he could somehow make Superman look bad by doing so. And I honestly think the Joker would kill himself if there were no Batman for him to screw with. Don't even get me started on Loki.
Bad guy's mentality is funny.

Kingdom Come. - Alex Ross' art is good as a pin-up, but his actual panel-arrangements aren't good, and are difficult to read here. I loved his work on Uncle Sam, but Kingdom Come is just all over the place. As for the story: I can understand how DC die-hard fans would like it, since its basically a fan-service, but it lacks appeal to anybody who isn't already a huge fan. I cringe whenever people hand it to new comic readers because as a story it requires so much prior knowledge.

Hush - Was okay. Not good, not bad. Just don't understand why its so ridiculously popular... It read like an excuse to squeeze every popular Batman character into a story, and Jeph Loeb has done the 'mysterious killer' story a dozen times already. That and the colouring was a dead-ringer for the production design on Batman Forever or Batman&Robin.

It's popular because of Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee. Their very names sell comics.

Kingdom Come. - Alex Ross' art is good as a pin-up, but his actual panel-arrangements aren't good, and are difficult to read here. I loved his work on Uncle Sam, but Kingdom Come is just all over the place. As for the story: I can understand how DC die-hard fans would like it, since its basically a fan-service, but it lacks appeal to anybody who isn't already a huge fan. I cringe whenever people hand it to new comic readers because as a story it requires so much prior knowledge.

Hush - Was okay. Not good, not bad. Just don't understand why its so ridiculously popular... It read like an excuse to squeeze every popular Batman character into a story, and Jeph Loeb has done the 'mysterious killer' story a dozen times already. That and the colouring was a dead-ringer for the production design on Batman Forever or Batman&Robin.
I agree on KC. As for Hush, I'd say your first line sums it up. It had good moments, that's about it. And for my personal preferences, I would've liked it more had Batman not been running around in a blue cowl the entire story.

Maximum Carnage: "Let's take every single superhero that has no relevant ties to Spider-Man and put them in a story about a very powerful serial killer/symbiote who for some reason needs buddies to spread chaos and destruction!"

What a joke of an event that was.

Age of Apocalypse.

I know it was this huge event that everyone seems to love, but I actually stopped buying X-Men comics when the Age of Apocalypse happened. I didn't pick up another comic until 2003. They basically interrupted every X-comic I read just to say "hey, what would happen if Apocalypse ruled the world?" for a few months. I. Didn't. Care.

Years later, I would check online to see what it was all about, and what exactly happened. I have no regrets for not reading it. I still don't care.

I actually enjoyed AOA, moreso than just about any other X-story from the 90's.

I enjoyed elements of it. Dark Beast and X-Man were good characters who came out of it. But the story itself I was fairly indifferent to. It's one of those things where, even as an impressionable youth, I knew it wouldn't really have any lasting significance.

I hated Kevin Smith's run on Daredevil.

I guess it's important or something because he's the guy who kills Karen Page, but it was horrible.

Smith is an awesome writer and story teller. He really is. But he really works best in film. Reading his Daredevil issues was like an endurance challenge. I kept stopping to get drinks of Gatorade and catch my breath before continuing.

And yet he's the guy who put Daredevil back on the map after he'd slipped into the C-list. I feel the same way about a lot of other runs that put people back on the map, myself.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I thought it was actually pretty bad. When Mr Hyde rapes and kills the invisible man I had to put it down for good.

And yet he's the guy who put Daredevil back on the map after he'd slipped into the C-list. I feel the same way about a lot of other runs that put people back on the map, myself.
I'm prepared for the flaming, but here goes.

Bendis' run on Daredevil was beyond great. May just be the best run on Daredevil to date.

No, most people'll probably agree with you on that. It's Bendis' other superhero stuff that gets people up-in-arms.

Yeah, Doom's definitely petty. He wants Reed's acknowledgment that he's smarter than Reed, basically. He's got a superiority complex with everyone else and an inferiority complex with Reed. That's what makes him fun. That's also why the FF are the ones to beat him most often. He makes more mistakes with his judgment clouded by his jealousy and hatred of Reed.

I've never really been sure whether I prefer to believe that Reed is actually smarter, or that he knows Doom is smarter and just won't say it because he likes making the crazy ****er tweak out over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackburton82
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"