The Silver Linings Playbook
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Lincoln
Life of Pi
Amour
Flight
Moonrise Kingdom or Anna Karenina or Beasts of the Southern Wild

I'd agree with all of these except for Anna Karenina. It's gotten a middling response.

Talking kiddish... TOY STORY 3, 83rd academy awards. I think that's the one where people noticed them really trying to grab at the ratings that year. But, I'm still wondering if partly the reason is because film-wise there weren't really any similar films to go after the following summer. None of them seemed to deserve it, whereas this year we're looking at a rise in quality. With the AVENGERS basically being RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (basically saying, the 'light-hearted' blockbuster popcorn filled movies HAVEN'T been up to par for quite a number of years - the darker ones have - but the lighter ones really haven't up until very recently the best of those mainly (at least imo) come from the 80s still - where they WERE nominated).

The PROBLEM is - too many of these summer movies are often not liked that much by the critics. And sometimes it's because they're not as well made films. Or maybe it's because they're just spectacle and nothing else. That's granted. HOWEVER, as said - they wouldn't really be giving a nod towards just the Avengers but the MARVEL film plan of having films released all coming together for the first time in recorded cinema history. And see the above.

The films they nominated last year, I'd also agree with. There were no 'big' movies that deserved it or at least a nod like the year before that. The really odd and interesting thing about this year is - the three top spectacle films to have come out thus far have actually been well made films and noted as such. Plus all of them coming at interesting times - TDKR, the final Nolan Batman film AVENGERS, a challenging and risky new approach SKYFALL, 50 years of Bond films.

Last edited:
Talking kiddish... TOY STORY 3, 83rd academy awards. I think that's the one where people noticed them really trying to grab at the ratings that year. But, I'm still wondering if partly the reason is because film-wise there weren't really any similar films to go after the following summer. None of them seemed to deserve it, whereas this year we're looking at a rise in quality. With the AVENGERS basically being RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK (basically saying, the 'light-hearted' blockbuster popcorn filled movies HAVEN'T been up to par for quite a number of years - the darker ones have - but the lighter ones really haven't up until very recently the best of those mainly (at least imo) come from the 80s still - where they WERE nominated).

The PROBLEM is - too many of these summer movies are often not liked that much by the critics. And sometimes it's because they're not as well made films. Or maybe it's because they're just spectacle and nothing else. That's granted. HOWEVER, as said - they wouldn't really be giving a nod towards just the Avengers but the MARVEL film plan of having films released all coming together for the first time in recorded cinema history. And see the above.

The films they nominated last year, I'd also agree with. There were no 'big' movies that deserved it or at least a nod like the year before that.

I'm sorry, but the Academy is not going to care that Marvel pulled off the ultimate commercial, 'history' or not.

Also, just because they don't like big summer films that much, doesn't mean they're going to reward one the first one in a while that's good.

Inception
Toy Story 3

You're acting as though this is a "new" thing and as I said, the summer films in the 84th academy weren't noteworthy (unless you're saying something from that summer, unlike the summer before that, one deserved it? I mean, I loved X-Men First Class but I still don't think that was one of the top or noteworthy beyond just being an entertaining movie).

Also if you look way to the past... don't know what it was like in the 90s... but in the 80s? Take a look at what was nominated. To me it's just a situation of compared to the past, few and far films in between measure up AND when they do - they are noted. Take a look back and come up with those big films that captured both audiences and critics alike that wasn't really nominated. Also to make this harder PAST The Dark Knight (even the academy makes blunders once in a while).

Last edited:
Both Inception and Toy Story 3 had that those aspects that I listed that the Academy looks for.

The Avengers does not.

The Dark Knight Rises
Lincoln
Lawless.
The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey

So Inception and Toy Story 3 were political or overly sentimental movies?

To me I'd say Toy Story 3 is much like Beauty and the Beast being nominated in 1991. I'd also call that a 'light' and 'happy' movie as well... unless I'm wrong...

And Inception being a response to the back lash for Nolan being overlooked with TDK.

And to name some others from the 80s onwards...

Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Silence of the Lambs
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

Fellowship of the Rings
The Two Towers
Return of the King
The Fugitive

Pulp Fiction
The Full Monty
Toosie
Babe (yes, the movie with the singing pig)
Up
Beauty and the Beast

Also depending on what you'd call "overly sentimental":

Rain Man
Field of Dreams
Scent of a Woman
Apollo 13
Jerry Maguire
The Sixth Sense --------> With these and Field Of Dreams
Ghost --------> Wasn't it said that the supernatural/paranormal doesn't catch their eye?
Gladiator
Moulin Rouge!

... looking back it actually makes me sad to think that not only was the blockbuster department more inventive in the past, but the films that weren't were as well and did drama in such a way that it caught the masses attention and were truly timeless. Usually it's far and in-between. Really hoping with this year and the constant blockbusters that have excelled - it'll be a sign of things to stay (unless it's just looking back and not 'being there').

Last edited:
If the Academy nominates a superhero movie this year, it will be TDKR. And I'm not saying that because it's my favorite (I preferred The Avengers), I'm saying that because it's the one with the kind of lofty ambitions that they can "justify" stooping to the level of nominating a superhero flick for. It was the one striving to be more than, as Joss Whedon called his own film, just "a great time." Whether or not Nolan achieved it is debatable, but since we all know the Academy president went on record saying they expanded the number of nomination slots specifically with the snubs of TDK and Wall-E in mind, it's clear they already think highly of what Nolan and his team was doing with that series. It's not so hard to imagine they'd want to "correct" their mistake and nominate TDKR as a nod to the entire saga.

That said, I'm not convinced there's going to be a mainstream blockbuster nominated at all this year (unless the Hobbit manages to sneak in). The list childeroland posted on the previous page looks pretty much like what I expect the BP category to look like this year, except with maybe Zero Dark Thirty or The Hobbit in there somewhere instead of Amour, Anna Karenina or Flight.

Last edited:
It depends how much the academy is still looking to make up for snubbing TDK. I have a feeling the academy is indeed looking to bring a mainstream pick into the fold this year.

I'm also pretty sure disney is not gonna have joss whedon pitching the avengers oscar campaign.

"I don't think it's a perfect movie. I don't even think it's a great movie. I think it's a great time, and I'm proud of it, but for me, what was exciting is that people don't go to see a movie that many times unless it's pulling on something from within, unless there's a need there. That's very gratifying."

Inception
Toy Story 3

You're acting as though this is a "new" thing and as I said, the summer films in the 84th academy weren't noteworthy (unless you're saying something from that summer, unlike the summer before that, one deserved it? I mean, I loved X-Men First Class but I still don't think that was one of the top or noteworthy beyond just being an entertaining movie).

Also if you look way to the past... don't know what it was like in the 90s... but in the 80s? Take a look at what was nominated. To me it's just a situation of compared to the past, few and far films in between measure up AND when they do - they are noted. Take a look back and come up with those big films that captured both audiences and critics alike that wasn't really nominated. Also to make this harder PAST The Dark Knight (even the academy makes blunders once in a while).

I mentioned those films. They are not superhero films. That is the major distinction.

The Master doesn't really deserve it as an overall film. I can see nominating some of the performances though.

I don't really think The Master deserves a Best Picture nomination either. I'd personally would love to see movies like Skyfall, Looper, TDKR, Moonrise Kingdom get nominated but I know there's no way it'll happen.

I really don't think TDKR deserves to be nominated either. Its kind of a mess.

I agree. If they nominate TDKR I would think that it is because they wanted to make up for the snub of TDK (a film that I believe deserved to be a BP nominee).

The whole "but it's a superhero film!" has no weight behind it, I'm pretty sure I remembered from a 'Ghost' documentary that everyone on there was surprised because "it's a movie about a ghost!" The only ruse is that the academy has 'rules.' As to no prior, the academy has noted (as just seen) that they made a mistake. And the only one in the past that could have been possible beyond TDK was 'Superman.' They've come a FAR and LONG way. Hell, for Beauty and the Beast they probably said "but it's a cartoon, what chance does a cartoon have?!" As said - the only ruse is that the academy has rules.

Last edited:
I personally feel that TDKR and The Hobbit seemed to be films that should be in but likely won't win. They usually pick some smaller BO film. ROTK was just lucky and was tributed for its previous two film snub.
I do hope that Ian McKellan would get an oscar that he should have gotten for Fellowship Of The Ring

So Inception and Toy Story 3 were political or overly sentimental movies?
Um, that one scene in Toy Story 3 where they all thought they were going to die is like one of the most emotionally powerful scenes in a long time. If you didn't already know/realize that, I don't even really see the point in speaking to you any further.

Also, no offense fellas, but there's a whole thread for discussion on whether or not TDKR will be nominated. This is about the TEN movies you think will be nominated.

If TDKR is one of them or not isn't really of any consequence.

Um, that one scene in Toy Story 3 where they all thought they were going to die is like one of the most emotionally powerful scenes in a long time. If you didn't already know/realize that, I don't even really see the point in speaking to you any further.

When I think of overly-sentimental, I think of hard hitting dramas about drug addiction, deaths in a family, taboo relationships, etc. Not just films that have a couple of moments in them.

Also, I wouldn't say that scene as being one - rather the ending.

When I think of overly-sentimental, I think of hard hitting dramas about drug addiction, deaths in a family, taboo relationships, etc. Not just films that have a couple of moments in them.

Also, I wouldn't say that scene as being one - rather the ending.
You have a really strange definition of things then.

But as you pointed out after contradicting yourself, yes, Toy Story 3's ending was quite powerful too; the entire movie was very sentimental and heartfelt. And that's part of the reason it got nominated. That's my point.

You have a really strange definition of things then.

But as you pointed out after contradicting yourself, yes, Toy Story 3's ending was quite powerful too; the entire movie was very sentimental and heartfelt. And that's part of the reason it got nominated. That's my point.

My POINT is that LOTS of films are heartfelt.

To me I'd say that moment in AVENGERS is Caulson's death. Here we are throughout the whole film enjoying seeing these guys fight. Enjoying seeing them bicker. Seeing good guys bicker. Pessimism winning out. But, when Couslon dies - I think that moment hits the audience just as much as it hits the characters. Not because we got to know him (but that too). But because of what Coulson stood for - he stood for optimism in a dying time. He believed that heroes and that good could still exist, and here we were before enjoying seeing that get torn apart and having a good laugh at it only to be hit in the face. I'd say it had an impact not just because of Coulson, but because of the importance of his beliefs and outlook that we lost in this world and that we do need to continue going at it as we should be.

As for politics, I don't know... I'd say the whole "you're a people meant to be ruled, and unset without a ruler" was pretty spot on and a harsh criticism to make.

BASICALLY I'm saying if you look, you can find those things in pretty much every film.

GRANTED The Avengers was more SOCIOLOGICAL than POLITICAL.

Last edited:
I don't think we should be too quick to write off any movie for any reason. I mean, I liked The Artist and all, but I still believe the main reason the movie won was because Hollywood thought it was soooooooo brilliant that someone had the balls to make a silent movie that they had to shower it with awards. Well, that and the fact that it was a "love letter to old Hollywood" and since Hollywood is so in love with its (former) self on a level that rivals no other, any movie that gets that time period right is going to get a lot of attention.

I really don't get this sentiment of TDKR being a mess. All I have heard is nothing but nitpicks.

You can nitpick some of the greatest movies of all time if you wanted to.

Citizen Kane: How did anyone hear him say Rosebud if no one was in the room?

Casablanca: What difference do the letters of transit (the major plot device in the movie) make when they are never really used at all? And like the Germans would really let someone like Victor Lazlow walk around free...

There's threads for all of these films. Basically what your're saying is that this thread is useless.

Argo
Silver Lining Playbook
The Master
Lincoln
Zero Dark Thirty
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
and maybe Beasts of the Southern Wild

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics