Academy Awards 2010 predictions?

I know you will all think im Crazy, but i Honestly think that Star Trek will get a nomination to try and make up for not putting TDK up there.

I loved ST, but I'd consider that a bigger slap to the face than not nominating TDK.

Star Trek was a great movie, but it was this year's Iron Man, not The Dark Knight. A fun movie, but not Oscar caliber.

I think Star Treak should get nominated for Best Score. Its one of the best scores Ive heard all year

I'm expecting 'Where The Wild Things Are' to be a big surprise this Oscar season. But, I'm also expecting 'The Road' to get something from the Oscars, as well, since they've held the movie back for Oscar season.

I really hope so. I really liked The Hurt Locker

Same with Moon, which was fantastic, at least Sam Rockwell for Best Actor because he was phenomenal.

Up is a lock now because of the change to 10 nominees. I wonder if Public Enemies and Inglourious Basterds (neither of which I have seen yet btw) are going to have a positive reaction to the the 10 nominee system. Or even 500 Days of Summer which I have heard good buzz about even though the trailer looked like crap.

Nine looks like it has a lot of elements the Academy would like, but 9 has some serious buzz about it.

Expect The Informant in Best Picture and Matt Damon in Best Actor at least at this point of its "hype lead-up"

After seeing the trailer, im not sure anymore. The Informant is much more humorous than i thought

I think its pretty obvious that The Hurt Locker and Up is a lock to be in the top 10
Neither of them are locks. Especially not The Hurt Locker.

I expect Damon and the informant to be left out too. Damon has a better chance for the Mandela movie.

I hate this Top 10 best picture idea. I usually see all 5 best picture nominees every year, but now it's going to be virtually impossible.

Best Picture:
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
G.I. Joe
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li
Terminator Salvation
Dragonball: Evolution

Best Actor:
Chris Klien - Street Fighter
Channing Tatum - GI Joe
Kevin James - Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Matthew McConaughey - Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
Tom Hanks - Angels and Demons

Best Actress:
Megan Fox - Transformers 2
Kristin Kreuk - Street Fighter
Kristanna Loken - The Legend of Awesomest Maximus
Beyonce Knowles - Obsessed
Hayden Panetierre - I Love You, Beth Cooper

Best Supporting Actor:
Marlon Wayans - GI Joe
Chow Yun Fat - Dragonball Evolution
Common - Terminator Salvation
Kerr Smith - My Bloody Valentine
Paul Walker - Fast & Furious

Best Supporting Actress:
Sienna Miller - GI Joe
Moon Bloodgood - Terminator Salvation
Penelope Cruz - G-Force
Willa Ford - Friday the 13th
Krista Allen - The Final Destination

Best Director -
Michael Bay - Transformers 2
McG- Terminator Salvation
Steven Sommers - GI Joe
Marcus Nispel - Friday the 13th
Steve Shill - Obsessed

Best Visual Effects:
Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus
Transmorphers 2
The Day the Earth Stopped

from what I've seen so far this year (and I have not seen Up, I know, I suck), the only definite Oscar movie I have seen is Public Enemies. It will be up for Best Picture and Best Actor (Johnny Depp).

I was disappointed. Bale was boring even if people think Melvin was so boring. Melvin did have some mental troubles that were not shown in the movie. He had depression issues and was emotional when his unit was shot up. Not to mention the pressure J. Edgar Hoover put on him should have shown more. Maybe show more of J. Edgar Hoover's ambitious mindset. I had trouble finding a foil and seeing whose movie it was....but I still liked it.

It had so many good actors that went unused and it seemed like it was filmed as a summer movie when it should have been filmed for Oscar season. No character development and characters just tossed in from scene to scene. Elaborate shoot outs were great but they had little to no emotion shown in characters throughout the film outside of Depp near the end and Marion most of the movie.

It was a good movie made beautifully in design. It should win for costume design and maybe a nod to Depp but that's all in my opinion. It was a good movie that could have been great.

Star Trek was a great movie, but it was this year's Iron Man, not The Dark Knight. A fun movie, but not Oscar caliber.

No Oscar caliber at all outside of visual effects. Fun, great to watch movie. But nothing more than great pop corn excitement.

I'm expecting 'Where The Wild Things Are' to be a big surprise this Oscar season. But, I'm also expecting 'The Road' to get something from the Oscars, as well, since they've held the movie back for Oscar season.

I'm with you. Those and Inglorious Basterds are my most anticipated!

The Dark Knight > Star Trek > Iron Man

I think TDK shouldve been nominated but Star Trek although really good is just not good enough. If they nominate it I feel it'll just be like the academy going to everyone "Hey guys...watch the ceremony!!! See we nominate mainstreem action adventure films too!!!"...which would be a bit ridiculous.

I hate this Top 10 best picture idea. I usually see all 5 best picture nominees every year, but now it's going to be virtually impossible.
Im actually starting to like the idea more and more when I think about it. Im willing to give it a chance and see how it does for 2010.

Best Pictures

Might as well be a lock:

The Human Factor/Invictus
Mandela biopic directed by Clint Eastwood. It could technically be horrible and the academy would still nominate it

Up
The 10 nominee change was basically made for Pixar and envelope pushing blockbusters, so I expect Up to definitely make it (but only because of 10 spots)

I hope make it

The Hurt Locker
Loved it. Unbiased (IIRC) Iraq flick. All about the soldiers and the psychological effects of war.

Moon
The whole movie rests on Sam Rockwell, most underappreciated actor, who performs gracefully.

Definitely has a shot

Nine
Musical with a killer cast. Day-Lewis is featured and he's pretty damn picky.

Amelia
Biopic starring Hillary Swank, Academy sweetheart

James Cameron's technologically advanced sci-fi epic. It'll break ground even if it sucks.

Not Sure

Shutter Island
Scorsese has been screwed in the past, and while I'm dying to see SI it doesnt look to be Academy's cup of tea.

The Road
Got pushed back for technical reasons, than again so it'll be around for Oscar season. Bit of a red flag but im still excited

Lovely Bones
Hyped to be inventive and fantasy based with Peter Jackson, but not sure of the content.

Wild Cards

Public Enemies
Havent seen it yet (but I want too) but it only has 60% on RottenTomatoes

Inglourious Basterds
Doesnt appear to be Academys cup of tea, but Cannes reviews pegged it as not as action-packed (aka violent) as it appears. Very talkative.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Ledger's last movie, but hopefully not Gilliam's. Gilliam isnt critics favorite guy unfortunately.

Star Trek
Academy got a lot of heat for Dark Knight snub. I seriously doubt this will show up, but I think we'll end up with the 5 nominees we would have gotten anyways plus 5 others, which could be pander picks to shut up general audience.

Last edited:
I would be incredibly surprised if Depp didn't snag a Best Actor nom for Public Enemies.

And I'm probably one of the few people who felt Bale's performance was of equal calibre, and would hope against hope that he would snag a Supporting Actor nom. But that's most likely not going to happen.

I would be incredibly surprised if Depp didn't snag a Best Actor nom for Public Enemies.

And I'm probably one of the few people who felt Bale's performance was of equal calibre, and would hope against hope that he would snag a Supporting Actor nom. But that's most likely not going to happen.
I think that Bale would've definitely had a chance to be up for a nod if he had a larger role in the film itself. However, they really did underutilize his talent in the film. I thought that he was great. But, too much of the film was focused on making Depp's character feel like the Robin Hood of that era. When really, that's not truthful at all. Everyone in the cast did great with their roles, but Mann just didn't give them enough.

Two actors who I would've considered going up for a "Supporting Actor" nod in the film was either Christian Bale or Billy Crudup, if their roles had been more fleshed out. But, unfortunately, that didn't happen.

They didn't make him out to be Robin Hood at all. He was cold and business minded, and all but admitted to the "Robin Hood" image as being a tool to keep the public in his favor. If anything it confirmed that John Dillinger was a bad person. And I liked that with Bale they didn't make Purvis your typical do gooder lawman. He hunted down criminals because it was his job, not due to any self righteousness or cliche heroic ambitions.

They didn't make him out to be Robin Hood at all. He was cold and business minded, and all but admitted to the "Robin Hood" image as being a tool to keep the public in his favor. If anything it confirmed that John Dillinger was a bad person. And I liked that with Bale they didn't make Purvis your typical do gooder lawman. He hunted down criminals because it was his job, not due to any self righteousness or cliche heroic ambitions.
Yeah. But, honestly, I wish they would've given Bale a larger role in the film. In this film, his talent really was underutilized. Johnny Depp overshadowed everyone in this film, and I didn't like the film for that very reason. I see your point on Depp's character, John Dillinger. However, I don't think this film was structured, or writen well, at all. There's too much focus on Depp's character, and it makes the entire supporting cast of characters seem irrelevant. As if they're just there because they were there in history. Technically, I think that this film certainly is Oscar-worthy. Hands down. But, on the film's end, I wouldn't say so. Depp may be choice for an Oscar nod. However, I really could care less about him. In my opinion, he was rewarded with his earnings on the film. He doesn't need an Oscar to go along with it.

No, I kind of see what Jon is talking about. Maybe not "Robin Hood" but he was a outlaw the public liked. He was a bad guy in terms of the law but the movie's portrayal of him was that he was popular, non-chalant and charming. Which in no way is incorrect. Now for Pervis, I was disappointed at the lack of emotion. I hated how he didn't show much nerve when J. Edgar Hoover assigned him to the "war on crime". I read a few times that from what he had done and what he had seen - partners dying, killing people - it drove him to depression and he was nervous that his career stood on the shoulders of J. Edgar Hoover in who was under much scrutiny in the press and from congress. Pervis, I have read was stone cold in appearance and in public, but it would have been nice to see a side of him when he was solely alone have a break down from pressure and blood shed. In all the performances were not the actors fault and for the most part were great for what they were told to do but I stress that I was very unhappy with how the film was edited and made into a summer movie.

I was really unhappy with the lack of screen time of Pretty Boy Floyd and J. Edgar Hoover's push for the war on crime. I liked the cast and wished there would have been more about Pervis, Floyd and Hoover.

I dont believe in it as much anymore after the mixed reaction on the film. Im not predicting any nominations in the major categories anymore.

Bruno the Cinematographer for HBP will be nominated

Yeah. But, honestly, I wish they would've given Bale a larger role in the film. In this film, his talent really was underutilized. Johnny Depp overshadowed everyone in this film, and I didn't like the film for that very reason. I see your point on Depp's character, John Dillinger. However, I don't think this film was structured, or writen well, at all. There's too much focus on Depp's character, and it makes the entire supporting cast of characters seem irrelevant. As if they're just there because they were there in history. Technically, I think that this film certainly is Oscar-worthy. Hands down. But, on the film's end, I wouldn't say so. Depp may be choice for an Oscar nod. However, I really could care less about him. In my opinion, he was rewarded with his earnings on the film. He doesn't need an Oscar to go along with it.
It was a film about John freaking Dillinger. Just because you're disgruntled about the fact that Bale wasn't in it as much as you would've liked doesn't mean you should shortchange Depp. And people are exaggerating about Bale's lack of screentime. I think they were just expecting the film to be pure Bale vs. Depp and have it divided among the two when that wasn't historically accurate.

No, I kind of see what Jon is talking about. Maybe not "Robin Hood" but he was a outlaw the public liked. He was a bad guy in terms of the law but the movie's portrayal of him was that he was popular, non-chalant and charming.
And they portrayed him as being all those things, but still basically a bad person.

Which in no way is incorrect. Now for Pervis, I was disappointed at the lack of emotion. I hated how he didn't show much nerve when J. Edgar Hoover assigned him to the "war on crime". I read a few times that from what he had done and what he had seen - partners dying, killing people - it drove him to depression and he was nervous that his career stood on the shoulders of J. Edgar Hoover in who was under much scrutiny in the press and from congress.

Pervis, I have read was stone cold in appearance and in public, but it would have been nice to see a side of him when he was solely alone have a break down from pressure and blood shed. In all the performances were not the actors fault and for the most part were great for what they were told to do but I stress that I was very unhappy with how the film was edited and made into a summer movie.
That stuff happened after the death of John Dillinger. He showed concern about the fact that his partners were dying, but why waste time on pointless emotional interludes that would have romanticized a film that essentially presented itself as a docudrama? Purvis was all business, especially during the hunt for Dillinger. Having him undergo a breakdown or emotional distress would be trite and would just distract from the film.

I was really unhappy with the lack of screen time of Pretty Boy Floyd and J. Edgar Hoover's push for the war on crime. I liked the cast and wished there would have been more about Pervis, Floyd and Hoover.
Pretty Boy Floyd had nothing to do with John Dillinger. In fact he wasn't killed by Purvis until after Dillinger was killed. He was put in the film to establish Purvis as being a no nonsense, tough as nails lawman.

I dont believe in it as much anymore after the mixed reaction on the film. Im not predicting any nominations in the major categories anymore.
Depp's performance garnered almost unanimous praise in spite of the mixed reaction to the film overall. I don't see his chances as being hurt.

It was a film about John freaking Dillinger. Just because you're disgruntled about the fact that Bale wasn't in it as much as you would've liked doesn't mean you should shortchange Depp. And people are exaggerating about Bale's lack of screentime. I think they were just expecting the film to be pure Bale vs. Depp and have it divided among the two when that wasn't historically accurate.
Who said that they had to change history to give Bale a greater role in the film. Both Dillinger and Pervis are interesting characters. They both have such a powerful history. My problem is that the film doesn't delve into that enough. You're sitting here whining about how I'm undermining Depp's role. When really, all I'm trying to say is that it would've been better if we had enough of everyone from this huge supporting cast of characters. And, no. This film is not about John Dillinger alone. Why? It's called 'Public Enemies'. Not 'Public Enemy'. The film is too busy focused on Dillinger's character that it makes the audience care less about the others. 80% of the film (I would say) is all about John Dillinger. What if we don't like John Dillinger? What if we care more about Pervis than Dillinger? I know that I care much more about Pervis than Dillinger because Pervis was never given his rightful due before.

Look at 'Heat'. Perfect example of evenly spreading out the characters, giving them all an equal amount of screentime. So, if you don't like this one character. You can move onto the next and learn about him/her. That wasn't the case with 'Public Enemies'. There's too much of Depp's character and not enough of the supporting characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"