Academy Awards 2010 predictions?

Sentinel X

optical illusion
Reaction score
Now that there are 10 nominees what are you predicting AND if there WERE 10 nominees the whole time what do you think are some films that WOULD'VE been nominated? Im asking this early but summer season is basically over for me (and a lot of people) since there is nothing exciting coming out so might as well...

I just think if there were 10 nominations the whole time movies like Jurrasic Park, The Matrix, The Dark Knight, etc wouldve been nominated.

For last year I think the 5 extra nominations wouldve been:
1.The Dark Knight
2. Wall-E
3. The Wrestler
4. Frozen River
5. Gran Torino

And this year:
1. Avatar
2. Up
3. The Lovely bones
4. Precious
5. Shutter Island
6. Clint Eastwood's Nelson mandella film
7. Ponyo
8. The hurt locker
9. Nine
10. Amelia

Im looking forward to all these films. Oscar predictions are a hit and miss but they're fun so whatever.

its hard to predict from this early but i know that Avatar will indeed be in for best picture

they were one year late when they did this ugh. TDK will go down as the movie that should of top winner of the oscars but was robbed

Only way I am watching next year:

If this man was hosting:

[YT]eD1nwe5Esx0[/YT]

Sadly, it won't happen.

terminator 1 ,abbys,terminator 2,true lies ,aliens were not IMO oscar movies. and all are Cameron movies.

i think Titanic was hes only movie like that.

It is kind of hard to tell at this point, but I'm sure that Up and Ponyo will be on the list of Best Animated Film award. I'm not sure how Avatar will be treated, it's all CGI correct? If it gets a nod they may lump it in the Animated Feature one then

i say have Conan, Stewart, Colbert, and throw in Steve Carell to have a first time ever quad host

2008 6-10:
The Dark Knight
Doubt(it got 4 acting nominations, it would have been in the top 10)
Revolutionary Road
Wall-E
The Wrestler

BEST PICTURE
An Education
Invictus
The Lovely Bones
Nine
Precious
Public Enemies
Shutter Island
Up
Where the Wild Things Are

BEST DIRECTOR
James Cameron (Avatar)
Clint Eastwood (The Human Factor)
Peter Jackson (The Lovely Bones)
Rob Marshall (Nine)
Martin Scorsese (Shutter Island)

BEST ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis (Nine)
Johnny Depp (Public Enemies)
Leonardo DiCaprio (Shutter Island)
Morgan Freeman (Invictus)
Christopher Plummer (The Last Station)

BEST ACTRESS
Abbie Cornish (Bright Star)
Carey Mulligan (An Education)
Michelle Pfeiffer (Cheri)
Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones)
Emily Watson (Within the Whirlwind)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Billy Crudup (Public Enemies)
Matt Damon (Invictus)
Mark Ruffalo (Shutter Island)
Stanley Tucci (The Lovely Bones)
Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Marion Cotillard (Nine)
Penelope Cruz (Nine)
Judi Dench (Nine)
Mo'Nique (Precious)
Rachel Weisz (The Lovely Bones)

Last edited:
I don't know how most of the celebrities would react to Conan hosting the Oscars, but it would probably be funny and would probably involve Tom Hanks, Will Ferrell, Adam Sandler and a few others in sketches.

Wait, did they change the "Best Animated Picture" crap? Because Up can't-but should-be nominated.

My predictions:

BEST PICTURE

Public Enemies
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Invictus
Nine
The Lovely Bones
Shutter Island
Precious
Biutiful
Amelia

BEST DIRECTING

Rob Marshall – Nine
Michael Mann – Public Enemies
Peter Jackson – The Lovely Bones
Clint Eastwood – Invictus
James Cameron – Avatar

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Lovely Bones
Invictus
Shutter Island
Public Enemies
An Education

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

A Serious man
Whatever works
Away We Go

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Matt Damon – The Informant
Morgan Freeman – Invictus
Johnny Depp – Public Enemies
Daniel Day-Lewis – Nine
Mark Walberg – The Lovely Bones

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY

Where the Wild Thing Are
Public Enemies
Nine
The Lovely Bones

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN ART AND SET DECORATION

Public Enemies
Amelia
Sherlock Holmes
The Wolf Man

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN

Sherlock Holmes
Nine
Amelia
The Wolf Man

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING

Invictus
Public Enemies
The Lovely Bones
Shutter Island

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

James Horner - Avatar
Elliot Goldenthal – Public Enemies
Danny Elfman – The Wolf Man
Maury Yeston – Nine
Michael Giacchino – UP /or/ Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING

Terminator Salvation
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Public Enemies
Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING

Terminator Salvation
Nine
Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS

Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP

The Wolf Man
Star Trek

Last edited:
ITA on last year's 6-10, Laderlappen! Actually, I agree with most of your picks there.

Anyway, my early picks for this year:

BEST PICTURE

Nine
The Road
Up
The Lovely Bones
Invictus
Precious
Where the Wild Things Are
Amelia
The Hurt Locker

I can't wait for Shutter Island, but I don't think Scorsese's going for an Oscar type of film with this one. Based on the trailer, it seemed much more like Cape Fear than any of his other work, so I'm guessing it'll be good for acting nods, but not Best Picture. I know The Hurt Locker hit the festival circuit in 2008, but I've seen it on a few of these 2010 Oscar predictions articles, so I'm fuzzy on its eligibility. If it's not eligible, maybe Shutter Island or Public Enemies can squeeze in there after all.

BEST DIRECTOR

Clint Eastwood (Invictus)
Rob Marshall (Nine)
Peter Jackson (The Lovely Bones)
Paul Greengrass (Green Zone)
James Cameron (Avatar)

BEST ACTOR
Daniel Day-Lewis (Nine)
Leonardo DiCaprio (Shutter Island)
Morgan Freeman (Invictus)
Viggo Mortensen (The Road)
Javier Bardem (Biutiful)

BEST ACTRESS

Hilary Swank (Amelia)
Meryl Streep (Julie and Julia)
Rachel Weisz (Agora)
Saoirse Ronan (The Lovely Bones)
Michelle Pfeiffer (Cheri)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christoph Waltz (Inglorious Basterds)
Matt Damon (Invictus)
Alden Ehrenreich (Tetro)
Stanley Tucci (The Lovely Bones)
Jonathan Groff (Taking Woodstock)

Yeah, I'm really not sure about that category. The only one that seems guaranteed is Waltz. I only put Groff in because although reviews are lukewarm on Taking Woodstock, the Academy might want to acknowledge Ang Lee's film in some way, and newcomer Groff seems to have made an impression in the reviews I've read.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Judi Dench (Nine)
Penelope Cruz (Nine)
Marion Cotillard (Nine)
Emily Mortimer (Shutter Island)
Mo'Nique (Precious)

Last edited:
Wait, did they change the "Best Animated Picture" crap? Because Up can't-but should-be nominated.
I think with the new 10 movies rule, animated pictures can probably get in there too. Because in a lot of the articles talking about it, they mentioned that the motivation was partially because movies like TDK and Wall-E deserved a nod last year.

I haven't seen any footage for Avatar, so I can't even say at this point.
Amelia is one I can see getting nominated, but the trailer do anything for me.
Up will win best animated.
Transformers 2 will win for effects.

There isnt any rule that says animated films cant be nominated for best picture.

I haven't seen any footage for Avatar, so I can't even say at this point.
Amelia is one I can see getting nominated, but the trailer do anything for me.
Up will win best animated.
Transformers 2 will win for effects.

This will never happen! Never. The visual effects is the only category that i thought everybody knew who will be the winner? Avatar will win, not 100% but 1000% sure. I'm betting all my possession on it. There is no competition on it. Avatar will give so HUGE revolution in the visual effects that Transformers will look like computer game. Sorry but i thought everybody knew that.

Still: There is no doubt that Avatar will win the category.

Any year with a Scorcese picture is a good year for movies. I'm stoked about Shutter Island. :up:

Aside from Shutter Island the rest will be the same bunch of pretentious codswallop that gets nominated every year.

There isnt any rule that says animated films cant be nominated for best picture.

No, but the Academy gives animated films it's own category and always treats it as if it's lower than live action films. So I think any chance Up has of getting a "real" Best Pic nod is little to none whatsoever (just like every other animated movie), despite how amazing the sane population thinks the movie is.

This will never happen! Never. The visual effects is the only category that i thought everybody knew who will be the winner? Avatar will win, not 100% but 1000% sure. I'm betting all my possession on it. There is no competition on it. Avatar will give so HUGE revolution in the visual effects that Transformers will look like computer game. Sorry but i thought everybody knew that.

Dear God, that would be so effing hilarious if, after all the pimping Avatar's effects have gotten before even a poster is released, it looses. Well, that is if the effects really don't measure up...I'm sure they will though.

Aside from Shutter Island the rest will be the same bunch of pretentious codswallop that gets nominated every year.

I don't know if 10 really good films will even exist this year. Crappy "writer's strike" year FTL. :down

No, but the Academy gives animated films it's own category and always treats it as if it's lower than live action films. So I think any chance Up has of getting a "real" Best Pic nod is little to none whatsoever (just like every other animated movie), despite how amazing the sane population thinks the movie is.
This is completely true. They have their own category and there are no rule that says they cant be nominated for Best Picture, but because they have that category it pretty mcuh kills their chances. And since Pixar's latest pictures havent been nominated, Up obviously wouldnt either.
But because they now nominate 10 movies, it actually seems likely.

And the first Transformers was beaten by such a run-of-the-mill fantasy movie as The Golden Compass, and I'm pretty sure Avatar will have have better FX than that movie, while Transformers 2 is just more of the same big robot extravaganza. And look at James Cameron's past record; only two of his movies didn't win Oscar for best visual effects.

S**t of the Year award for Transformers 2 (and ****** of the Year for its fans)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"