Academy Awards 2010 predictions?

OK Ill put it this way. His character and his story isnt near as interesting to make him co-lead.

Hahaha, OK. OK. I'm done laughing. Now it's down to business. *cracks knuckles*

Who said that they had to change history to give Bale a greater role in the film. Both Dillinger and Pervis are interesting characters. They both have such a powerful history. My problem is that the film doesn't delve into that enough.
You don't really know anything about the subject, do you? Please, give me an outline, nay, a manuscript detailing all the historically accurate additions you would make that would feel more "in depth" to you. I'll wait.

You're sitting here whining about how I'm undermining Depp's role. When really, all I'm trying to say is that it would've been better if we had enough of everyone from this huge supporting cast of characters.
I won't even address the ridiculous little "whining" accusation. However, check out the word I highlighted. Ahem:

un⋅der⋅mine
  /ˌʌndərˈmaɪn or, especially for 1, 2, 4, ˈʌndərˌmaɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [uhn-der-mahyn or, especially for 1, 2, 4, uhn-der-mahyn] Show IPA
Use Undermine in a Sentence
–verb (used with object), -mined, -min⋅ing.
1. to injure or destroy by insidious activity or imperceptible stages, sometimes tending toward a sudden dramatic effect.
2. to attack by indirect, secret, or underhand means; attempt to subvert by stealth.
3. to make an excavation under; dig or tunnel beneath, as a military stronghold.
4. to weaken or cause to collapse by removing underlying support, as by digging away or eroding the foundation.
That word I bolded is not synonymous with "underrate" or any other term I might use to describe the fact that you disgruntledly shortchanged Johnny Depp's performance ostensibly because you were expecting a Balegasm. Also, *huge* supporting cast? Purvis, Billie Frechette, and maybe J. Edgar Hoover. This movie wasn't Nashville or Magnolia. It had a small supporting cast and each one was utilized economically in service to the film. And if you were expecting a film about John Dillinger to waste time with "fleshing out" ancillary characters like Pretty Boy Floyd and Baby Face Nelson you'd be blisfully, ignorantly delusional.

And, no. This film is not about John Dillinger alone. Why? It's called 'Public Enemies'. Not 'Public Enemy'. The film is too busy focused on Dillinger's character that it makes the audience care less about the others. 80% of the film (I would say) is all about John Dillinger. What if we don't like John Dillinger? What if we care more about Pervis than Dillinger? I know that I care much more about Pervis than Dillinger because Pervis was never given his rightful due before.
Hahahahaha....OK I'm not done laughing yet I guess. So, you were misled by the title and expecting a completely differently movie in spite of every piece of information that maintained that it was a Dillinger biopic. It was called "Public Enemies" because the name for that time in America was the "Public Enemies era" after John Dillinger was declared Public Enemy No. 1. Hahahahaha...I mean, in spite of ALL the evidence and ALL the reports that it was going to be a DILLINGER BIOPIC, you were expecting a movie about everyone in that era? And by the by, Dillinger was the only Public Enemy of the cast of characters. I mean, Jesus, of all the arguments you could make...you choose to argue that because the title is pluralized that means the film should have a bloated, expansive narrative? I'm sorry, but that's stupid. There is no other word for it. Well, there actually are other words for it, but they're very harsh and would get me an infraction.

Look at 'Heat'. Perfect example of evenly spreading out the characters, giving them all an equal amount of screentime. So, if you don't like this one character. You can move onto the next and learn about him/her. That wasn't the case with 'Public Enemies'. There's too much of Depp's character and not enough of the supporting characters.
Look, the movie isn't "John Dillinger and friends!", it's about John Dillinger. Period. I mean, you seriously boggled my mind with the inanity of this post. Yes, I'm going to use that word. Your post was inane.

You know what? I've seen the light! Your argument that a biopic about a particular person shouldn't be focused on that person totally makes sense now! Goodfellas should have focused more on De Niro and Pesci's characters to even out the film, after all it was called "Goodfellas", not "Henry Hill". And "JFK"? All wrong! It should have featured JFK as the main character because that was the title of the movie after all! Schindler's List? Too much focus on Schindler! Where was the back story behind all the Jews he saved? I wanted all of them fleshed out more!

Last edited:
Also, for being so intrigued by the character of Purvis, you consistently misspell his name. What's up with that?

:cmad: Damn he tricked me. Pervis is a pretty funny name though :woot:

From movies i've seen (or seen footage, trailer ...) i can give only possible nominations:

Angels and Demons:
Best original Score

Transformers 2:
Effects
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing

Terminator:
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing

Star Trek:
Effects
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing
Art and Set decoartion
Make-up
Editing
Original Score

Public Enemies:
Best Actor in a Leading role: Johnny Depp
Best Actress in a Supporting role: Marion Corilard
Best original Score

Watchmen:
Best Cinematography
Best Art and Set decoration
Best Costume design
Best Make-up

Nine:
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Writing
Best Actor in a Leading role: Daniel Day-Lewis
Best Actress in a Supproting role: Dame Judi Dench
Best Original Score
Best Original Song
Best Original Song
Best Sound Mixing
Best Film Editing
Best Art and Set Decoration
Best Costume design

Predictions based on thailers and stuff:

Best Picture
Editing
Effects
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing

The Wolfman:
Best Costume design
Best Make-up
Best original Score

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus:

Best Costume design
Best Make-up
Best Writing - Original Screenplay

The Lovely bones:
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Wiriting - Adapted Screenplay
Best Actor in a leading role - Mark Whalberg
Best Actress in a Leading role - Soarise Ronan
Best Art and set Decoration
Best Editing

Harry Potter 6:
Best Art and set decoration

Sherlock Holmes:
Best Costume design

Where the wild thing are:
Best Cinematography

The Soloist:
Best Actor in a Supproting role: Jammie Foxx

And they portrayed him as being all those things, but still basically a bad person.

That stuff happened after the death of John Dillinger. He showed concern about the fact that his partners were dying, but why waste time on pointless emotional interludes that would have romanticized a film that essentially presented itself as a docudrama? Purvis was all business, especially during the hunt for Dillinger. Having him undergo a breakdown or emotional distress would be trite and would just distract from the film.

Pretty Boy Floyd had nothing to do with John Dillinger. In fact he wasn't killed by Purvis until after Dillinger was killed. He was put in the film to establish Purvis as being a no nonsense, tough as nails lawman.

But Purvis acted as a no nonsense lawman when in actuality those closest to him could see a struggle with the puppetiering of J. Edgar Hoover and killing. I would have enjoyed seeing that.

I see your point on the documentary style about just John Dillinger. I understand what Michael Mann was trying to do but I think it was the wrong decision to make the movie that way. There was more to this story than John Dillinger. Especially when it comes to Purvis and J. Edgar Hoover. And truthfully, I'm not saying this as a Bale fan, I really have been treating his last few performances with much scrutiny. Like I said I think the way the characters were used outside of Depp and Cotillard was the wrong way to go. The choice in how to make this film was much less interesting than it could have been, IMO.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything done with the production or the actors or scenes besides the fact that I trully felt it should have been more than just J. Dillinger's story.

In my opinion, in no way does Christian Bale deserve a nod for his performance because it was one-dimensional and didn't spark much ability to accomplish. It might have been right for the movie and Mann's view but not worthy of an Oscar nomination or an Emmy.

Depp will probably get a nod from the Golden Globes but not from the Oscars but you never know...we'll see.

I think what you see as one dimensionality I see as stark minimalism. Bale effective and effortlessly pulled off the "all business" aspect of Melvin Purvis where a lesser actor may have overplayed his hand. Playing a real person, especially a real G-man who has an accent is often an invitation to overact. Bale got to the heart of Purvis' predominant nature with no frills or romance. It was pretty great stuff.

HP6 just locked up a Best Picture Nomination with the record breaking opening and strong reviews. IMO, the whole reason for the 5 additional spots is exactly for movies like HP(last year TDK). Give the audience incentive to tune in to see "their" movie recognized but in reality they have zero chance at actually winning. It's all perception.

I think what you see as one dimensionality I see as stark minimalism. Bale effective and effortlessly pulled off the "all business" aspect of Melvin Purvis where a lesser actor may have overplayed his hand. Playing a real person, especially a real G-man who has an accent is often an invitation to overact. Bale got to the heart of Purvis' predominant nature with no frills or romance. It was pretty great stuff.

I am not trying to undermind it, I'm having a hard time explaining it. To me it was nothing special. I definitely agree with the effortlessly part. He can play that part well without looking wooden...I just don't see how to inflate his performance as great. No offense seriously.

Believe me, I liked the movie, I just expected more from it. I expected it to be one of the Oscar's front runners and I think with less shoot outs and more character development it would have been better.

For Best Picture, I'd say: -

Public Enemies
Invictus
The Hurt Locker
Shutter Island
Nine
The Lovely Bones
Up
Star Trek (a guy can dream)
Where The Wild Things Are

Director
Michael Mann
Martin Scorsese
Kathryn Bigelow
Peter Jackson
Rob Marshall

Actor
Johnny Depp
Daniel Day-Lewis
Leonardo DiCaprio
Mark Wahlberg
Morgan Freeman

What are District 9's chances? I'd say pretty good thus far since most of the buzz is coming from industry insiders. I feel like all these producers, directors, etc are the only ones talking about it, and considering they are the kind of people who make up the Academy, I would think D9 had a shot at one of the top 10.

What are District 9's chances? I'd say pretty good thus far since most of the buzz is coming from industry insiders. I feel like all these producers, directors, etc are the only ones talking about it, and considering they are the kind of people who make up the Academy, I would think D9 had a shot at one of the top 10.

I hope so...I don't think any best picture nods but serious considerations for Cinematography and Screenplay and set production. I am at high hopes for this. I used to just wish for it to be good for the Halo movie to be made :o, but now i just can't wait to see this movie for what it is.

Also, I seriously think it is having the best movie marketing campaign I've seen thus far. Instead of tv spots they have what seems to be real reports and posters on bus stops that make you look twice. Very very smart marketing.

I am not trying to undermind it, I'm having a hard time explaining it. To me it was nothing special. I definitely agree with the effortlessly part. He can play that part well without looking wooden...I just don't see how to inflate his performance as great. No offense seriously.

Believe me, I liked the movie, I just expected more from it. I expected it to be one of the Oscar's front runners and I think with less shoot outs and more character development it would have been better.
I know. I was just respectfully explaining where our opinions diverge. :huh:

I know. I was just respectfully explaining where our opinions diverge. :huh:

Which is cool, I understand that. Public Enemies received a pretty split decision from critics and I guess that's where we stand. No confusion.:yay:

I'll put my $5 in some technical categories for Knowing

Any predictions on who will host this thing?

Who I want to see host: Conan O'Brien, Steve Carrell, Stephen Colbert or Ricky Gervais
Who I think will host: Someone other then one of those four (probably Ellen DeGeneres again).

Hugh Jackman wasn't a bad host, I just don't see him hosting it again for another few years.

Hugh Jackman wasn't a bad host, I just don't see him hosting it again for another few years.

He'll definitely be the first one they call, but I dont think he will do it this time either. I think they'll go for a similar nontraditional choice

Any predictions on who will host this thing?

Who I want to see host: Conan O'Brien, Steve Carrell, Stephen Colbert or Ricky Gervais
Who I think will host: Someone other then one of those four (probably Ellen DeGeneres again).

Conan!
Twitter tracker!

I saw a trailer that said The Hurt Locker was "Oscar Material," a quote from a critic. Which very well means it could get a political nomination ;) Cant remember the specific movie, but there was definitely a movie recently that I was on the fence on for Oscar cosideration, and as soon as I saw a commercial with a quote saying Oscar Material that I knew it was getting a nom, and it did

Well we are just two weeks from the ''awards season'' so i have my renewed noms (i hope to bring the thread up, and ppl give they noms too):

BEST PICTURE

Bright Star
An Education
Hurt Locker
Invictus
Lovely Bones
Nine
Precious
Tree of Life
Up in the Air

BEST DIRECTOR

Bigelow
Hurt Locker
Daniels
Precious
Eastwood
Invictus
Jackson
The Lovely Bones
Malick
Tree of Life

LEADING ACTOR

Day-Lewis
Nine
Plummer
Doctor Parnassus
Depp
Public Enemies
Freeman
Invictus
Mortenson
The Road

LEADING ACTRESS

Ronan
Lovely Bones
Mulligan
An Education
Sidibe
Precious
Streep
Julie & Julia
Swank
Amelia

SUP. ACTOR

Damon
Invictus
Molina
An Education
Scheider
Bright Star
Tucci
The Lovely Bones
Waltz
Inglourious basterds

SUP. ACTRESS

Chastain
Tree of Life
Cotillard
Public Enemies
Mo'Nique
Precious
Dench
Nine
Sarandon
Lovely Bones

CINEMATOGRAPHY

Amelia
Dryburgh
Bright Star
Fraser
Nine
Beebe
Lovely Bones
Lesnie
Tree of Life
Lubezki

ART DIRECTION

Imaginarium
Lovely Bones
Nine
Sherlock Holmes

COSTUME DESIGN

Bright Star
Amelia
Nine
Sherlock Holmes
Watchmen

FILM EDITING

Hurt Locker
The Lovely Bones
Invictus
Nine

SCORE

Amelia
Yared
James Horner
Lovely Bones
ENO
Tree of Life
Desplat
Up
Giacchino

SOUND MIXING

Nine
District 9
Star Trek
Transformers

SOUND EDITING

The Hurt Locker
Star Trek
Transformers
Up

VISUAL EFFECTS

Star Trek
Transformers

BEST MAKEUP

Watchmen
Doctor Parnassus
Star Trek

I think that District 9, Avatar, and Up all have a good shot at getting a nomination. The Academy purposely made 10 slots to nominate films that were more "mainstream"...and those are the perfect mainstream films that could be nominated without effecting the credibility of the oscars.

I think the only thing holding Up back is the 'best animated film' category. But then again, a lot of people were upset when Wall-E wasn't nominated last year.

I've got a prediction on who I want as host: Neil Patrick Harris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"