Academy Awards 2010 predictions?

Is Terrence Mallick's Tree Of Life out this year? Could be a contender. Would be great to see Moon get some love, especially Sam Rockwell.

This will never happen! Never. The visual effects is the only category that i thought everybody knew who will be the winner? Avatar will win, not 100% but 1000% sure. I'm betting all my possession on it. There is no competition on it. Avatar will give so HUGE revolution in the visual effects that Transformers will look like computer game. Sorry but i thought everybody knew that.

Still: There is no doubt that Avatar will win the category.

Never say never.
Remember people said the same thing about Transformers. That is was the first time we'd seen such realism . In the end who won the VFX's Oscar.
Not Transformers but a frikkin Polar bear

I will only make a prediction from what i've seen/heard/read from this year's movies:

Harry Potter 6-Art Direction,Cinematography

Up-Best Picture,Best Original Screenplay,Best Score,Best Sound Editing,Sound Mixing

Star Trek-Best Make-Up,Best Visual Effects,Best Sound Editing

Transformers 2-Best Visual Effects,Best Sound Mixing,Best Sound Editing

Public Enemies-Best Editing,Best Actor for Depp,Best Sound Mixing,Best Art Direction

Avatar-All the technical categories

For the rest,it's way too early

Aside from Shutter Island the rest will be the same bunch of pretentious codswallop that gets nominated every year.
I disagree. The potential award nominees look great this year.

Lovely Bones will be good. Shutter Island looks like a great thriller. Im very excited about Precious. Avatar will just be amazingly awesome and I've enjoyed Up a lot. Clint Eastwood's Nelson Mandella project could be awesome as well.

Anyone notice that the date of the 2010 Oscars has been changed from Late February to Early March?

I disagree. The potential award nominees look great this year.

Lovely Bones will be good. Shutter Island looks like a great thriller. Im very excited about Precious. Avatar will just be amazingly awesome and I've enjoyed Up a lot. Clint Eastwood's Nelson Mandella project could be awesome as well.
And Nine. I will be very suprised if that doesnt end up in my top 5 of the year.

This i thing will be the favorites in all categories:

My predictions:

BEST PICTURE

Public Enemies
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Invictus
Nine
The Lovely Bones

Shutter Island
Precious
Biutiful
Amelia

BEST DIRECTING

Rob Marshall – Nine
Michael Mann – Public Enemies
Peter Jackson – The Lovely Bones
Clint Eastwood – Invictus
James Cameron – Avatar

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

The Lovely Bones
Invictus
Shutter Island
Public Enemies
An Education

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

A Serious man
Whatever works
Away We Go

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Matt Damon – The Informant
Morgan Freeman – Invictus
Johnny Depp – Public Enemies
Daniel Day-Lewis – Nine
Mark Walberg – The Lovely Bones

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY

Where the Wild Thing Are
Public Enemies
Nine
The Lovely Bones

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN ART AND SET DECORATION

Public Enemies
Amelia
Sherlock Holmes
The Wolf Man

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN

Sherlock Holmes
Nine
Amelia
The Wolf Man

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITING

Invictus
Public Enemies

The Lovely Bones
Shutter Island

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

James Horner - Avatar
Elliot Goldenthal – Public Enemies
Danny Elfman – The Wolf Man
Maury Yeston – Nine
Michael Giacchino – UP /or/ Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND MIXING

Terminator Salvation
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
Public Enemies
Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND EDITING

Terminator Salvation
Nine
Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS

Star Trek

BEST ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP

The Wolf Man
Star Trek

Say what you will about the movie, but I'm really hoping that Hans Zimmer's Angels & Demons score will be nominated. It was absolutely stunning.

Hans will be nominated, but wont win. then again, he might not be nominated....

Best Picture:
Nine
Amelia
The Road (hopefully)
Up

Best Actor:
Viggo Mortensen
Daniel Day-Lewis
Robert Downey Jr.

Best Actress:
Hilary Swank
Marion Cotillard
The rest of the female cast of Nine.

That's all the Oscar buzz I've heard so far...

Say what you will about the movie, but I'm really hoping that Hans Zimmer's Angels & Demons score will be nominated. It was absolutely stunning.

Say what about the movie? It was great! The cinematography and art was stunning and the soundtrack is currently on my PC, for every day listening. But i can grantee you, that the score wont be nominated. Hell the Academy didn't nominate Hans for Begins or TDK, even for he's great scores on Backdraft and Pirates of the Caribbean 3, they will neglect him here too.

I love how people are jumping the gun on avatar. There is no way in hell the movie can live up to the hype.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's the case. I'm struggling to lower my expectations. I just have a feeling everyone will be disapointed.

And the hype is based of words itself instead of footage. Isn't that incredible though?

But I think it's still way too early to decide the nominees.

The hype has been focused mostly on the visual effects and technical achievements. In this regard, I highly doubt Cameron would fail in a category he practically pawns the entire industry in. Just look at the unanimous praise the film has gotten to all that have seen it.

The movie itself is something to be questioned, but then again no one has really been talking about it.

I'm just waiting for some footage, then I think I'll be able to wrap my head around it a little bit more.

from what I've seen so far this year (and I have not seen Up, I know, I suck), the only definite Oscar movie I have seen is Public Enemies. It will be up for Best Picture and Best Actor (Johnny Depp).

I think it's too early to predict anything .

Im getting annoyed by people saying its too early to predict. Its never too early. So what if you're wrong? Its not like it will kill you. And even at the day before the nominees are announced, you're gonna be wrong. Everybody thought 2008 Best Actress was gonna be a fight between Meryl Streep and Kate Winslet, and they predicted that basically the day after the 2007 oscar show.

I saw Public Enemies, and i thing the movie have chance to be nominated:

Best Picture, Actor: JD, Supprtoing actress: Marion, Art, Music

I think Up will definitely be in while Avatar & Star Trek have a shot, depending on how many Oscar bait films are released this year.

I think its pretty obvious that The Hurt Locker and Up is a lock to be in the top 10

I think its pretty obvious that The Hurt Locker and Up is a lock to be in the top 10

I really hope so. I really liked The Hurt Locker

Same with Moon, which was fantastic, at least Sam Rockwell for Best Actor because he was phenomenal.

Up is a lock now because of the change to 10 nominees. I wonder if Public Enemies and Inglourious Basterds (neither of which I have seen yet btw) are going to have a positive reaction to the the 10 nominee system. Or even 500 Days of Summer which I have heard good buzz about even though the trailer looked like crap.

Nine looks like it has a lot of elements the Academy would like, but 9 has some serious buzz about it.

Expect The Informant in Best Picture and Matt Damon in Best Actor at least at this point of its "hype lead-up"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"