The Dark Knight Quick question

Well, I find that far-fetched with Harvey and Rachel.

You find two people dating for several months and then considering marriage far fetched?

Yeah ok.

That's not the same thing (Rachel and bruce) because they've been best friends since children. They were teenagers together and early 20s. It's a different story.

So? They never had any romantic relationship. They never slept together, we never even saw them share a kiss until the end of Begins. Before that scene all you saw was a friendship all through Begins, and one that had a large 7 year gap in it.

But based on that Bruce was convinced she was the only hope he had at a normal life. A woman he never even had one date with.

There was no love stuff being thrown at the audience between Selina and Bruce

What you mean apart from the big kiss she gave him at the end, and then her being the woman Bruce is happy ever after with in Alfred's fantasy scenario in the cafe in Florence.

they just felt connected and took a chance with each other at the end because they had that stuff in common with wanting to start over. Very different from all of it.

So you can buy Bruce and Selina just felt a connection on the most brief acquaintanceship and took a chance on each other to run off together. That's plausible for you. But you find Harvey and Rachel actually having steady dating and getting to know each other for months, and falling in love, no doubt feeling a connection, too, then considering marriage far fetched?

You see the irony here.

Last edited:
You find two people dating for several months and then considering marriage far fetched?

Yeah ok.
Yes. I find it ridiculous. Several months? Are you kidding? And we wonder as a society, why so many marriages end in divorce after a few years.

So? They never had any romantic relationship. They never slept together, we never even saw them share a kiss until the end of Begins. Before that scene all you saw was a friendship all through Begins, and one that had a large 7 year gap in it.

But based on that Bruce was convinced she was the only hope he had at a normal life. A woman he never even had one date with.
I truly think Bruce was overthinking their kind of love. I still believe they were more linked with each other as best friends, almost like step brother and step sister who were close but not related. I think Rachel moved on with Harvey and Bruce has such a weird psyche that he really believed there was more to it than that. It's because she was the only woman he's ever got to know that well and loved in any way as he grew up. There's that link to his childhood and parents. But he was wrong. Selina could very well be his "soulmate" but who knows. It seems that way though.

What you mean apart from the big kiss she gave him at the end, and then her being the woman Bruce is happy ever after with in Alfred's fantasy scenario in the cafe in Florence.
Well, it wasn't as pronounced through words like with Rachel. It's more of a chemistry, spiritual connection they seem to have. He could end up living happily ever after with her but we cant know that for sure. The idea is that he TRIES to live his life and move on with someone that he feels connected to. That's Selina. But I don't think it's such a love kind of thing. I never got the feeling they were in love with each other.

So you can buy Bruce and Selina just felt a connection on the most brief acquaintanceship and took a chance on each other to run off together. That's plausible for you. But you find Harvey and Rachel actually having steady dating and getting to know each other for months, and falling in love, no doubt feeling a connection, too, then considering marriage far fetched?

You see the irony here.
Running off together is very different from marriage lol. Selina and Bruce make a choice, taking a chance to leave together because they feel something towards one another. Harvey and Rachel have been dating for months sure, but I still find months of dating to proposing absolutely ridiculous. I don't care what couple you are in this life.

Yes. I find it ridiculous. Several months? Are you kidding? And we wonder as a society, why so many marriages end in divorce after a few years.

http://magazine.foxnews.com/love/expert-survey-reveals-number-one-reason-couples-divorce

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/06/divorce-causes-5-marriage_n_2785438.html

http://divorcesupport.about.com/od/isdivorcethesolution/a/Three-Major-Causes-Of-Divorce.htm

Do you see marriage after months of dating on these lists and surveys?

I truly think Bruce was overthinking their kind of love.

You don't say. He only spent 8 years living no life for a woman who chose someone she had an actual relationship with. To say he was over thinking it is a huge understatement.

I still believe they were more linked with each other as best friends, almost like step brother and step sister who were close but not related.

I would agree. But Batman Begins asked us to believe they were in love at the end. That's what it told us. After painting a relationship that looked nothing more than a friendship, and not even a closely knit one considering he flit off for 7 years, and never even told her he was back when he did come back. Let his so called best friend know he wasn't dead, instead of letting her hear it from second hand sources.

That and Bruce and Selina slitting off together is far more implausible and unbelievable than Harvey and Rachel's relationship which was very realistic.

I think Rachel moved on with Harvey and Bruce has such a weird psyche that he really believed there was more to it than that. It's because she was the only woman he's ever got to know that well and loved in any way as he grew up. There's that link to his childhood and parents. But he was wrong. Selina could very well be his "soulmate" but who knows. It seems that way though.

In other words Bruce was being an idiot. He put all his hopes on a woman he never had a romantic relationship with. Someone he never even had a date with. Someone who even said to him "Don't make me your one hope for a normal life".

Again this scenario was more implausible than Rachel and Harvey's which was entirely realistic.

Well, it wasn't as pronounced through words like with Rachel. It's more of a chemistry, spiritual connection they seem to have.

Based on a day and half's acquaintanceship. In other words their relationship was predicated on very little, whereas Rachel and Dent's was predicated on months of being together.

Your complaint is contradictory.

He could end up living happily ever after with her but we cant know that for sure.

That's the same as a marriage isn't it. There's no guarantee it will last forever. The people involved do it because they love each other and it feels right for them. The smart ones make such big shows of devotion, whether it's a proposal or running away together, based on a relationship that is longer than a few days.

The idea is that he TRIES to live his life and move on with someone that he feels connected to. That's Selina. But I don't think it's such a love kind of thing. I never got the feeling they were in love with each other.

Then you missed the point of them being in Alfred's fantasy scenario where Bruce finally found someone, in this case Selina.

Running off together is very different from marriage lol.

Yeah, running away abroad from your life with someone you barely know is much more drastic.

In Harvey and Rachel's situation all he did was propose marriage. He never put a time stamp on when they will get married. For all you know it could be a long engagement. Many couples of have them.

Harvey and Rachel have been dating for months sure, but I still find months of dating to proposing absolutely ridiculous. I don't care what couple you are in this life.

That's your ignorance then. There's thousands of couples all over the world still happily married from the same types of situations.

Last edited:
Just to add my .02, Dent's proposal to Rachel in TDK always kind of stood out to me too as kind of forced, but I let it slide. This series overall wasn't really about romantic relationships, they're more there as a necessity for the plot. I can accept that because I'm honestly not the biggest fan of Batman stories that are love stories (even though it can be pulled off ala MOTP, I think that's more suited to Superman and Spider-Man). I prefer Batman stories to focus more on the mystery/action/adventure side of things.

Bruce and Selina definitely had the best on-screen chemistry of any couple in the trilogy though.

Just wanted to know when exactly the events of the dark knight took place??

We can assume only a year after Batman Begins because the Joker was robbing banks at the end of Batman Begins.

Probably took place even before that, like 8 months after Batman Begins.

Which means, Batman was only around for a year.

Then he disappeared for 8 more years until saving Gotham from Bane.

So his legend as Gotham's superhero was very brief.

Time is extremely elastic in Nolan's Batman. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The director certainly doesn't.

Someone give The Joker a medal. No idea how you have the strength to keep responding to people like this.

Your logic is exactly like mine, and all that could be said has been said.

Last edited:
thanks for posting this, I was just wondering this too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"