Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay? - Part 1

I would have no problem with Ryan Reynolds coming back. While I agree that the Green Lantern movie sucked, it had nothing to do with Reynolds, Mark Strong or even Blake Lively, I thought all 3 were solid. It was the floating cloud Parallax that looked like something out of a SyFy original movie and the ridiculous Hector Hammond character with the giant inflating head. Plus alot of the alien Lanterns looked ******ed too (especially the counsel members who were just awful). Then, on top of all that, the writing and storyline was awful at best.

Give it a completely new directing, writing and screenplay team and I know Ryan can play that character and give it justice. He's a good actor but he needs the support team around him to be significantly better.

That said, it's very unlikely he will return. So recasting Hal Jordan is their best option. I literally couldn't care any less about John Stewart if I tried. Hal Jordan is Green Lantern to me (and I did not read any Green Lantern comics) and wasn't a big fan of the character growing up (still not a huge fan really but he has to be in Justice League, wouldn't be right without him). I don't understand the comment about people expecting Green Lantern to be black, he was always Hal Jordan/White when I was growing up and Hal is easily the most recognizable. Green Lantern has always been viewed as white until recently when Stewart got more time as the character.

The ONLY way I would be ok with John Stewart is if it's Idris Elba or Dwayne Johnson. Common or Terrance Howard? Give me freaking break with that BS, they are both horrible actors, Common isn't even an actor, he's a overrated rapper with no acting talent to speak of. Terrance Howard is just flat out annoying, there is a reason they dumped him from Iron Man, he sucks. Denzel is too old and would just play the role the same way he plays most of his roles, an angry black guy that yells alot.

Enough with this diversity crap, if the character was created as white, leave it that way. Use Martian Manhunter or Cyborg for diversity, their characters have been black the majority of the time (Cyborg always has been). Cyborg is already in the movie and it looks like they are going to use him as one of the founding members (something I'm not in favor of since he's another character I couldn't care less about). There is your diversity and you don't have to change anything or add John Stewart, who is an extremely uninteresting character just to add diversity.

Since it's very unlikely that Reynolds will be back, recast Hal Jordan with one of the following... Bradley Cooper, Jensen Ackles, Chris Pine, Scott Speedman or even Jake Gyllenhaal (who I personally don't care for but fits the role). Can we also stop with the Nathan Fillion casting, I realize he did some good voice-over work for Hal but he's a bad actor in live action that should stick to TV and wouldn't be able to pull off the movie role or the action scenes. Maybe 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Hal Jordan is Green Lantern. Not just to me but to most people over 25 years old, only younger people, casual fans or people who just started following Green Lantern in the last 5-10 years know Green Lantern as black and/or John Stewart.

Last edited:
^ Most people have no clue who Green Lantern is period other than he was in a ****** movie a few years back

^ Most people have no clue who Green Lantern is period other than he was in a ****** movie a few years back

I've never seen an episode of Power Rangers, but I can tell you, with no web search, that they have been around for at least 20 years. I've never read Martin's Game of Thrones or seen the show, but I have at least a notion about the story's framework. Some things are big enough and/or enduring enough that they should make an impression just by the proliferation of material. Thus, if someone says they have no idea who Green Lantern is, my first guess if that he/she is clueless and possibly intellectually lazy from never being around books.

Back on the top of casting (sort of) and Ryan Reynolds, the X-Men movie is putting the speculation of Reynolds-as-Deadpool back in the spotlight:

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/39114/20140606/deadpool-movie-rumors-ryan-reynolds-still-in-role-as-x-men-producer-confirms-film-is-getting-there-video.htm

if someone says they have no idea who Green Lantern is, my first guess if that he/she is clueless and possibly intellectually lazy from never being around books.

That is rather sweeping, to say the least. Many people who are very literate don't dabble in comics at all, and I really don't see why intellectual rigour would necessarily lead you to Hal Jordan of all fictional people.

I would have no problem with Ryan Reynolds coming back. While I agree that the Green Lantern movie sucked, it had nothing to with Reynolds, Mark Strong or even Blake Lively, I thought all 3 were solid. It was the floating cloud Parallax that looked like something out of a SyFy original movie and the ridiculous Hector Hammond character with the giant inflating head. Plus alot of the alien Lanterns looked ******ed too (especially the counsel members who were just awful). Then, on top of that, the writing and storyline was awful at best.

Give it a completely new directing, writing and screenplay team and I know Ryan can play that character and give it justice. He's a good actor but he needs the support team around him to be significantly better.

That said, it's very unlikely he will return. So recasting Hal Jordan is their best option. I literally couldn't care any less if I tried about John Stewart. Hal Jordan is Green Lantern to me (and I did not read any Green Lantern comics) and wasn't a big fan of the character growing up (still not a huge fan really but he has to be in Justice League, wouldn't be right without him). I don't understand the comment about people expecting Green Lantern to be black, he was always Hal Jordan/White when I was growing up and is easily the most recognizable, Green Lantern has always been viewed as white until recently when Stewart got more time as the character.

The ONLY way I would be ok with John Stewart is if it's Idris Elba or Dwayne Johnson. Common or Terrance Howard? Give me freaking break with that BS, they are both horrible actors, Common isn't even an actor, he's a overrated rapper with no acting talent to speak of. Terrance Howard is just flat out annoying, there is a reason they dumped him from Iron Man, he sucks. Denzel is too old and would just play the role the same way he plays most of his roles, an angry black guy that yells alot.

Enough with this diversity crap, if the character was created as white, leave it that way. Use Martian Manhunter or Cyborg for diversity, their characters have been black the majority of the time (Cyborg always has been). Cyborg is already in the movie and it looks like they are going to use him as one of the founding members (something I'm not in favor of since he's another character I couldn't care less about). There is your diversity and you don't have to change anything or add John Stewart, who is an extremely uninteresting character just to add diversity.

Since it's very unlikely that Reynolds will be back, recast Hal Jordan with one of the following... Bradley Cooper, Jensen Ackles, Chris Pine, Scott Speedman or even Jake Gyllenhaal (who I personally don't care for but fits the role). Can we also stop with the Nathan Fillion casting, I realize he did some good voice-over work for Hal but he's a bad actor in live action that should stick to TV and wouldn't be able to pull off the movie role or the action scenes. Maybe 10 years ago, but not anymore.

Hal Jordan is Green Lantern. Not just to me but to most people over 25 years old, only younger people, casual fans or people who just started following Green Lantern in the last 5-10 years know Green Lantern as black and/or John Stewart.

Agreed with absolutely everything you're saying here. :up:

Not using Hal in the first JL movie just seems wrong to me. Replacing Martian Manhunter with Cyborg is questionable, but that should be the only deviation from the original seven.

That is rather sweeping, to say the least. Many people who are very literate don't dabble in comics at all, and I really don't see why intellectual rigour would necessarily lead you to Hal Jordan of all fictional people.

I didn't specify Hal Jordan only because there are numerous titular Lanterns. However, I feel confident in stating that any person who frequents bookstores, even if they don't read comics per say, would have impressions of the major comic characters in the DC and Marvel universes. Moreover, in the current age where those characters not only have enormous literary histories but have crossed over into TV, movies, video games, and advertising, it's impossible to totally avoid them unless the person in question is living a very isolated existence.

Agreed with absolutely everything you're saying here. :up:

Not using Hal in the first JL movie just seems wrong to me. Replacing Martian Manhunter with Cyborg is questionable, but that should be the only deviation from the original seven.

You mean you don't want Plastic Man instead of Aquaman? :woot:

That said, it's very unlikely he will return. So recasting Hal Jordan is their best option. I literally couldn't care any less about John Stewart if I tried. Hal Jordan is Green Lantern to me (and I did not read any Green Lantern comics) and wasn't a big fan of the character growing up (still not a huge fan really but he has to be in Justice League, wouldn't be right without him). I don't understand the comment about people expecting Green Lantern to be black, he was always Hal Jordan/White when I was growing up and Hal is easily the most recognizable. Green Lantern has always been viewed as white until recently when Stewart got more time as the character.
I'll try to keep this one short. Nothing that Hal has been involved in has ever made him mean something to the GA. We've seen a JL w/out him and it was better & meant more than it ever has w/him, proving that he does NOT have to be in JL. His absence was one of the best things that ever happened to the JL.

For most people Green Lantern means nothing because Hal lacks mainstream appeal. When you get people asking "Why'd they turn GL white?" it tells you just how little Hal means to the world at large. John means something to people outside of the comics fanbase. He'd eventually mean much more if he was marketed again. Putting John in would be about putting in a likeable lantern who hasn't failed miserably w/the GA. Diversity would just be a bonus. People are calling for John because he's more interesting than Hal. If it was just about diversity, they'd be ok w/just having Cyborg there. I'm well over 25, I've known of Hal's existence since I was a small child and I'd never given a single **** about GL until JLU introduced me to John. W/Hal being featured the most out of all the earth GLs, it's no surprise that after 50 years GL still means nothing to most people.

Names like Cooper, Pine, & probably even Gyllenhaal are highly unlikely to touch a character who failed so hard that Reynolds won't touch it anymore.

Also, T.Howard isn't War Machine because of a monetary dispute, not because "he sucks"

Last edited:
I didn't specify Hal Jordan only because there are numerous titular Lanterns. However, I feel confident in stating that any person who frequents bookstores, even if they don't read comics per say, would have impressions of the major comic characters in the DC and Marvel universes. Moreover, in the current age where those characters not only have enormous literary histories but have crossed over into TV, movies, video games, and advertising, it's impossible to totally avoid them unless the person in question is living a very isolated existence.

I really don't agree. I think you are looking at it from the perspective of one of the choir. Maybe GL is a really huge deal in the US? Over here, I don't think I have ever been confronted with any GL material unless I was looking for it.

I'm all for Hal. I've watched the JL and JLU shows, John Stewart is a one-trick pony. They need Idris Elba if they go that route. I'd much rather Chris Pine or even a returning RR as Hal Jordan.

Chris Pine is doing Star Trek and nobody cares about Ryan Reynolds anymore, he plays in bad films and is box office poison.

I'll try to keep this one short. Nothing that Hal has been involved in has ever made him mean something to the GA. We've seen a JL w/out him and it was better & meant more than it ever has w/him, proving that he does NOT have to be in JL. His absence was one of the best things that ever happened to the JL. For most people Green Lantern means nothing because Hal lacks mainstream appeal. When you get people asking "Why'd they turn GL white?" it tells you just how little Hal means to the world at large. John means something to people outside of the comics fanbase. He'd eventually mean much more if he was marketed again. Putting John in would be about putting in a likeable lantern who hasn't failed miserably w/the GA. Diversity would just be a bonus. People are calling for John because he's more interesting than Hal. If it was just about diversity, they'd be ok w/just having Cyborg there. I'm well over 25, I've known of Hal's existence since I was a small child and I'd never given a single **** about GL until JLU introduced me to John. W/Hal being featured the most out of all the earth GLs, it's no surprise that after 50 years GL still means nothing to most people.

Names like Cooper, Pine, & probably even Gyllenhaal are highly unlikely to touch a character who failed so hard that Reynolds won't touch it anymore.

Also, T.Howard isn't War Machine because of a monetary dispute, not because "he sucks"

I never heard anyone ask why Green Lantern was white, he's been white far longer than he's been black. No one I know would ever ask why the character is white, that's for sure. John Stewart isn't interesting at all to me, Hal is the far more interesting character IMO. It's all subjective though. Obviously you prefer John Stewart, I find the character to be next to worthless to be honest. You say that John Stewart has made the character more popular than ever, I disagree but the reality is, if the character of Hal Jordan wasn't able to make the character popular in the first place, there never would have been a John Stewart. I am only speaking for myself, but a Justice League movie without Hal Jordan as Green Lantern doesn't make sense to me but I also know I'm not alone in that thinking. I think if it was possible to have a poll, consisting of every Green Lantern fan all at once to ask who is the definitive Green Lantern character that Hal Jordan would win in a landslide.

I assume you're right about the monetary issue for Howard, I never tried to find out why he was recast, I was just thrilled that he was because I think Terrence Howard is an extremely overrated and awful actor. I'll never understand why people think otherwise.

It's possible that some actors would shy away from the role because of how poor the Green Lantern movie was but I think that there will definitely be actors interested in the role because of it being a Justice League role. The Justice League movie will come with alot of hype and fanfare before it hits the theaters, obviously the product on screen itself will be the major determining factor in the end but it will have alot of hype going in. You may be right but I doubt it, I think those actors wouldn't have a problem attaching themselves to a Justice League movie. Now, if it was only for another solo project, I would agree, then it may be troublesome getting a bigger name.

Honestly, in terms of a solo project, it's always going to be hard to sell the Green Lantern, Hal Jordan, John Stewart or otherwise. It's just not that great of a character and it comes with alot of cheesiness. The ring, the lantern, the ridiculous oath, the weird aliens, the powers, they're all just kind of corny to be honest. Green Lantern is best suited to just be a part of the Justice League when it comes to the big screen, on it's own the character just isn't really all that marketable outside of comic book fans. I don't think it will ever take off as a solo franchise.

Last edited:
I'm laughing at how much people overestimate John Stewarts impact on the general audience. Lol get a grip

I'd be surprised to see Ryan Reynolds return. While few may have a preference, I honestly don't think the general audience will care which Lantern shows up. Whatever decision won't stop people from watching a movie with Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman in it. Toss in Cyborg with maybe Aquaman and the Flash or whoever and even if it's the worst movie ever made, people are gonna go out and see it.

Back to subject,all I know is that I do want to see John, Guy, Kilowog and Hal in a Green Lantern reboot down the road.

I really don't agree. I think you are looking at it from the perspective of one of the choir. Maybe GL is a really huge deal in the US? Over here, I don't think I have ever been confronted with any GL material unless I was looking for it.

You've never been in a Target or Wal-Mart? They are both in the top 10 retailers in the world and they feature numerous products related to DC Comics characters, of which GL is a mainstay. Target actually advertises with the JLA, and the sheer number of products they have with the characters (sometimes limited to Supes,Bats, Flash, GL) is astounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23FIqez1Xqo

Bookstores like Books-a-million and Barnes and Noble always feature DC products. GL TPBs are among the most stocked in any bookstore (due in no small part to the expansion of the Lanternverse) and I've never seen one clothing store that caters to young people without at least the basic GL symbol shirt popularized on the Big Bang Theory.

So it's very difficult for me to imagine someone who is completely clueless about GL (and most of the JL, Avengers, and X-men line-ups) unless he or she is making an ongoing effort to avoid all mass media.

Sam Claflin?
5f7a66ba3940af82d8568b0c15d99fe6.jpg

green%20lantern%20dc%20comics%20hal%20jordan%201920x1080%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperno.com_9.jpg

tumblr_m5yj4ogjed1qh8c90o1_500.jpg

or Taylor Kitsch?
20121229-013928.jpg

Last edited:
You've never been in a Target or Wal-Mart? They are both in the top 10 retailers in the world and they feature numerous products related to DC Comics characters, of which GL is a mainstay. Target actually advertises with the JLA, and the sheer number of products they have with the characters (sometimes limited to Supes,Bats, Flash, GL) is astounding.

Bookstores like Books-a-million and Barnes and Noble always feature DC products. GL TPBs are among the most stocked in any bookstore (due in no small part to the expansion of the Lanternverse) and I've never seen one clothing store that caters to young people without at least the basic GL symbol shirt popularized on the Big Bang Theory.

So it's very difficult for me to imagine someone who is completely clueless about GL (and most of the JL, Avengers, and X-men line-ups) unless he or she is making an ongoing effort to avoid all mass media.

To be honest, here in Canada I can't remember the last time I saw something related to Green Lantern... anywhere. Outside of during the release of the first movie, of course. Nothing in Walmart, or book stores. The one single thing I can think of is a Green Lantern logo t-shirt at Sears. But that's just a logo, so someone who has nothing else to go on would have no idea what it represents. So, I agree with regwec. Unless someone seeks it out, it is possible to have no idea who Green Lantern is. At least not impossible.

As I suspected, you're describing a purely American context. None of those chains exist in Europe so, no, I have never set foot in one.

Therefore, your original assertion that unfamiliarity with GL requires a lack of intellectual curiosity is wrong. By contrast, however, I doubt there are many people in the civilized world who do not know a bit about Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.

As I suspected, you're describing a purely American context. None of those chains exist in Europe so, no, I have never set foot in one.

Therefore, your original assertion that unfamiliarity with GL requires a lack of intellectual curiosity is wrong. By contrast, however, I doubt there are many people in the civilized world who do not know a bit about Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.
America is the prime market for huge budgeted superhero movies. The Dark Knight made 534 million in North America alone, and 469.7 everywhere else. It doesn't really matter how exposed GL is where you are, what ultimately matters box office wise is how familiar America is with him. And if the next GL appearance is solid, the past won't even matter anymore. All they will know is the Snyder GL, seeing as nothing before will have made much of an impact on most of the world. He still hasn't entered the public consciousness like WW, Supes, or Bats. No doubt.

Last edited:

I don't know where you are exactly, but I know Wal-Mart operates in the UK, all over North America, Africa, and parts of Asia. Target is smaller, but they operate outside the US as well.

While I'm not familiar with European bookstores, are you telling me they are free of comics sections? Moreover, did you get no promotion of JL:Flashpoint and JL:War? I saw countless displays for those and numerous TV spots. And did the GL movie fail to premiere in Europe even with an English actor hailed by critics as giving the best performance?

While there is no debating that Superman and Batman are DC's marquee characters, some form of GL has been rubbing shoulders with those characters for over 50 years. DC Comics' official website spotlights 6 characters on their main page:

http://www.dccomics.com/

So given that GL has permeated mass media like this, it only stands to reason that a person would have to be purposefully isolated to have never heard of DC heroes beyond just Supes and Bats.

The Justice League is EVERYWHERE at Target.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman and Hal Jordan toys are EVERYWHERE.

And the most common villains I've seen in the toys there are Lex, Brainiac, Joker, and Darkseid. WB/DC is spending a lot of money putting these toys into stores, it's gotta be some huge promotional deal, because it is seriously in your face. As of a couple years ago, there's been a huge section devoted to Justice League at every Target I've been to.

I really think we're getting the New 52 lineup. They're pushing it so hard, WB/DC wants it to work, and they'll finally get their chance in 2017 to definitively establish all their major characters. I'm convinced Snyder is going to convince the rest of the world how badass the New 52 lineup is.

The Justice League is EVERYWHERE at Target.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman and Hal Jordan toys are EVERYWHERE.

And the most common villains I've seen in the toys there are Lex, Brainiac, Joker, and Darkseid. WB/DC is spending a lot of money putting these toys into stores, it's gotta be some huge promotional deal, because it is seriously in your face. As of a couple years ago, there's been a huge section devoted to Justice League at every Target I've been to.

I really think we're getting the New 52 lineup. They're pushing it so hard, WB/DC wants it to work, and they'll finally get their chance in 2017 to definitively establish all their major characters. I'm convinced Snyder is going to convince the rest of the world how badass the New 52 lineup is.

The day Justice League: War was released, there was this guy standing outside Target before it opened. He flew through the doors as soon as they unlocked them and was standing next to the employee who was opening the box of DVDs/Blurays. He grabbed a copy, exclaimed, "YES!", hugged one of the Target associates, and ran for the checkout counter. Everyone was cracking up because this was no kid. This guy had to be in his 40s, bearded, shaved head, in the neighborhood of 6'3" or 6"4" and resembled a smaller version of WWE's Big Show. It was really weird.......

....oh wait, that was me.

Feel like I've posted on this one a few times, but what the hell.

There are a lot of terrific actors out there who could do Hal justice.
You have to encapsulate the fact that he's cocky, quite arrogant,
but tough. Lantern is no *****. The guy has enough willpower to
move mountains.

Reynolds got the cocky wise-guy, but wasn't believably tough as Hal.

So, here are my picks:

1. Karl Urban, after seeing what he's done with McCoy in the star trek films, he's got the acting chops to pull it off, plus he does tough guys well.
Hell, he was Judge Dredd, who makes Batman look wimpy.
(plus if they got Chris Pine to play Barry Allen, it would be hillarious, although as I type this, the unlikeliness strikes me).

2. Bradley Cooper: I've argued against Cooper, because I think he's too big, but then again, he's the voice of Rocket Raccoon, so what do I know ?
Anyway, he could certainly pull it off.

3. Robert Downey Jr.....Just kidding ! Actually he probably would be
pretty good, as he handles cocky characters extremely well - although
Hal is a bit low-brow compared to Tony Stark, or sherlock Holmes.

4. Jensen Ackles: nobody pulls off stubborn bonehead like he does.

5. Channing Tatum, not a great actor, but he can be funny, and he's believable as tough.
actually, he'd make a great Guy Gardner - although I'm hoping they cast somebody really funny as GG, maybe John C. Reilly or even Will Ferrell.
Now he takes Cockniess to a whole new planet.

I kind of preferred Guy when he was less of the psycho and a bit more of a
clown (like back in the old JLI days).

Hugh Jackman would be perfect for the role, but he's so strongly associated with Wolverine, that its not even worth thinking about.

Okay, those probably aren't the best picks ever, but all I can come up with
it's been a long day.

peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"