Days of Future Past Reconciling the films contunity

What about Havok? Cyclops' younger brother being about 20 years older than him?

since the very first X-men film... comic continuity has changed dramatically... so why worry about it now? Havok could be Scott's older brother or Father... hell Havok could be a false name and he could end up being Vulcan in the film... we already have Darwin.... Who knows.. point is there's a reason they added Havok and not Scott... so they've thought it out.

It is not the same as TIH was to Hulk. TIH was not made as a sequel, but as a reboot, it was also put into a different continuity. After all the original Hulk film is not part of the new shared marvel universe (Iron Man 1 and 2, TIH, Captian America, Thor).

So far, all the X-men films have been set in the same universe.

Which is what the Wolverine is. They are completely disregarding Origins. They are moving on as if it never happened. They are completely forgetting everything in the movie. However, they aren't going to re-do weapon X and he will be in Japan just like the end of Origins suggested. It is almost exactly like TIH and HULK except for the fact that the star remains. It is a reboot with vague references to the former. It is not a sequel...they have made that completely clear.

Aronofsky has been given complete creative control and he has said that he is making this a stand alone film.

I get the vibe they're going to pull an "incredible hulk" with "the wolverine". For those who follow the films and know them very well (us) know it's not a direct sequel at all.... (HULK ended with Banner running off to south america and established history with betty and gen ross, Incredible Hulk opened with Banner in south america and a pre-established history with betty and gen ross. Ignoring the Super Soldier serum, cast change, and the opening credits... it really could have been a sequel)

The Wolverine, i guarantee.... will be the same way. they'd especially have to keeping Hugh in the role, and not retelling his origin.

Yup. And I am glad to finally see someone who sees what they did with TIH and HULK the same way I do. It is a reboot but it has a ton of vague references to the previous film. I really don't have a word to accurately describe it. A loose reboot?

i'm pretty certain that this film will completely disregard X3 and the first Wolverine film. my guess is that since Singer is producing this film, that it will be more connected to X1 and X2. First Class would be part of Singer's project.

a perfect example of this is Emma Frost. i remember back when Singer was still attached to X3, he said that one of the new characters that would be in the film would be Emma Frost. Sigourney Weaver was actually in talks to play her and it was rumored that her and Xavier had a history together.

it wouldn't surprise me if in First Class or its sequels there is a relationship of sorts between Xavier and Emma.

i'm pretty certain that this film will completely disregard X3

As of now there's really nothing solid to suggest that. Moira's 2 minute/Last Stand scenes retcon doesn't say much.

People on here want it to disregard X3 [badly], but realisticly - it probably won't. It doesn't need to anyway, and as long as they don't touch Angel and Juggernaut in the sequels, it'll never have to.

Seriously people, this is an X-Men film; nothing is outside the realm of possibility.

*For example, Emma is a teenager in Origins but appears as an adult in First Class. Possible solutions: These are two different Emmas (Emma Frost, Emma Silverfox); Emma was made younger by another mutant with age reversal abilities and was adopted by the Silverfoxes; etc.

And for Moira MacTaggert being portrayed by Olivia Williams, isn't Moira an expert geneticist? Maybe she found a way to slow the aging process by studying the DNA of mutants.

Use your imagination. :yay:

I was kinda hoping Emma wouldn't have the Diamond secondary powers in this flick.

I was surprised they included her diamond form too. I don't mind it, though, since she maintains her telepathy as well.

Yes, January Jones confirmed a psy-battle between her and Xavier :)

I'd prefer either a total reboot (true First Class) or something in complete continuity with the first four films, and it looks like we're not getting either, which is kind of disappointing.

From what we know, the use of Emma Frost seems to be the biggest obstacle, and frankly I wouldn't have a huge problem just pretending Origins never happened.

I was surprised they included her diamond form too. I don't mind it, though, since she maintains her telepathy as well.

Emma's one of my favorite characters......and I don't mind that they have seemed, uhm...to blend, or take elements of the Hellfire version of Emma with the more recent/modern take of the character (powers, allegiance to the Hellfire club, etc...)

....Do you think Emma and Shaw will go by their Hellfire Club titles at all during the film, or they'll do a little nod to the fans with regards to this?

If you ask me they might as well reboot the entire X-Men movie franchise. Because this movie screws up the continuity of the previous trilogy and origins movie. In X1 Xavier said that Scott, Jean, Storm, were his first students however, in first class they are no were to be seen. The only one that is a classic character is Beast and he was said to be one of the first students in X3.

Then in X3 the opening scene with Xavier, Erik, and young Jean needs to be erased because it doesn't make sense now. The ending scene of Origins with Scott and Emma and the other students meeting Xavier doesn't make sense either now.

So yea.. I don't know how this new film fits into the current X Film trilogy.

Again.In X-Men he said they were some of his first students.The X-Men In First Class are more like a team than students.

X-Men Origins Is no longer In COntunity.All the other films are Ignoring It.It remains to be seen If X-Men The Last Stand IS still In cannon with First Class.

X-Men First Class IS prequel to X-Men and X2.It remains to be seen rather It Is prequel to X-Men The Last Stand.

Hollywood Is going way too crazy with reboots.It's getting to the point when why should people bother with getting Involved In franchises because In a few years they will just throw out everything and reboot.

i think that first class is somewhere in between prequel and a reboot. they are using previous x-films because they have a certain fan base and something to rely on, but it is probably a reboot as well. if they make first class sequel they will probably not aim to match details to be in line with x1 and x2.
the way i see it, it would be best if they would make trilogies where each trilogy stands on it's own with only using pre3vious movies as an establishment, so that a new trilogy doesn't need long character introductions if that character was in the previous movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"