Rian Johnson Invites You To The Benoit Blanc Mystery Thread

I really enjoyed this one although I think Knives Out has the slight edge over this one. I think the mystery in the first one was better and Chris Evans was really great in a role that’s NOT Captain America. The sequel did have Kate Hudson though and I really loved her character. I read Kaley Cuoco went for the same the role so it would have been interesting to see her take on the character too.

The magic of these films is that you can get all sorts of actors to turn in memorable performances. The list of faces I'd like to see is too long to count.

Rian Johnson recently said he wants to work with Matt Berry. That would of course be wonderful. It would be really fun to have a british ensemble for one of these come to think of it. That seems like something Johnson would be well up for. He got Ade Edmondson for Star Wars of all things afterall. Sigh, it's a shame Rik Mayall isn't with us.

Ah yeah! Bring it on Rian! I need more Benoit Blanc in my life!

I really enjoyed this one although I think Knives Out has the slight edge over this one. I think the mystery in the first one was better and Chris Evans was really great in a role that’s NOT Captain America. The sequel did have Kate Hudson though and I really loved her character. I read Kaley Cuoco went for the same the role so it would have been interesting to see her take on the character too.
Knives out was a better detective story while this went a bit more for comedy/satire. I like them both and also quite like the differences as I'm not as used to that in linked films (usually sequels). Evans is going for very unCap-like roles haha, and he seems to be having a big laugh doing so. Interesting, I think Cuoco would also have been a good match for that role.

I do agree with you about Chris Evans' performance in the first movie. I think Evans is underrated as an actor and he can be pretty versatile when he needs to be. Considering very early in his career, I couldn't really stand him as the guy from Not Another Teen Movie and Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four movies I did not like.

I think Kaley Cuoco has been showing her versatility lately with The Flight Attendant, so I could've seen her in that role as well.

Last edited:
I do agree with you about Chris Evans' performance in the first movie. I think Evans is underrated as an actor and he can be pretty versatile when he needs to be. Considering very early in his career, I couldn't really stand him as the guy from Not Another Teen Movie and Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four movies I did not like.

I think Kaley Cuoco has been showing her versatility as well lately with The Flight Attendant, so I could've seen her in that role as well.

I need to watch The Flight Attendant. I heard good things about it. I think Kaley plays “ditzy” really well judging from the first season of TBBT and her role in 8 Simple Rules.

Kate Hudson is more famous as an actress, so I think it works better with her in the role as it needed a movie star for it.

Also, it's like looking at a young Goldie Hawn at certain moments, who would've fit right in with the old Poirot films from the 70s and 80s.

6509d56dd3cbd2c3990eae298f48c5062432c401.gifv

eb00319343d36d302ecefcfa01af64eceadac1bb.gifv

Ya know, I have to admit, as much as I enjoyed both Knives Out and Glass Onion, and I think they're both totally fun and well-crafted, witty murder mysteries...I do hope to see Rian Johnson make something a bit 'bigger' again at some point.

Don't get me wrong, there's absolutely a place for breezy murder mysteries and I'll watch as many Benoit Blanc stories as he wants to make, but I hope to see him swing big with something high concept again at some point. Whether that's Star Wars or something original. I'm impressed with his versatility...if you just look at Brick, Looper, TLJ, the 'Knives Out' movies, you'd be hard-pressed to know they were all directed by the same person. I just can't help but feel like he can pump out these Blanc movies in his sleep, as good as they are.

Also, I hate to say it...but I think both Knives Out and Glass Onion suffer a bit from the humor being hit and miss sometimes. I think I can safely say that I prefer Johnson's more dramatic chops, but I also can totally see how the recent films do reflect his actual personality more. And why they are a really smart play now from a career standpoint.

Last edited:
Just watched it. There are some parts I prefer about Glass Onion such as the island setting and sunnier location but I prefer the ending of Knives Out and the way the villain was caught where he was outwitted.

Glass Onion didn't really have that element. I also would've actually preferred this came out during Covid than after it because then it would've felt more current and having that sense of visiting somewhere else while we were all in lockdown.

If we could combine the casts from both films - Ana de Armas and Chris Evans but put them in this movie instead then that would be my more ideal film.

Also I felt that I was able to figure out who was the killer fairly early on.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed both these movies. I've always loved the murder mystery movies and both of these didn't disappoint. Looking forward to a third movie.

The magic of these films is that you can get all sorts of actors to turn in memorable performances. The list of faces I'd like to see is too long to count.

Rian Johnson recently said he wants to work with Matt Berry. That would of course be wonderful. It would be really fun to have a british ensemble for one of these come to think of it. That seems like something Johnson would be well up for. He got Ade Edmondson for Star Wars of all things afterall. Sigh, it's a shame Rik Mayall isn't with us.
Matt Berry is awesome and would be great in one of these movies

Ok I finally got a chance to see this. It’s funny there’s been so much chatter online I thought Dave Bautista would play Benoit’s husband! Gee it was fun, more of this sort of thing.

you know who would have been perfect for knives out 3? Olivia Newton John rip

Wait, what? Why did this get an Academy award nomination for best adapted screenplay? :ebr:

Wait, what? Why did this get an Academy award nomination for best adapted screenplay? :ebr:
Apparently... according to Academy screenplay rules, any sequel is an adaptation. :shrug:

I guess I see the reasoning behind it since Glass Onion isn't the original Benoit Blanc film.

Ugh I did not know that, but it doesn't make much sense. Especially since this is not even really a sequel. :whatever:

(based on the story and characters set forth in the original film).

That’s the official rule.

Hobbs and Shaw might’ve been this close to getting an Adapted Screenplay award!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"