Rogue One Box Office Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' started by Greens, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Lord All Mighty

Actualy, before Disney, China had only gotten the original trilogy released in some places around 2014. The impression wasn't very positive and you will find weird criticisms they made to the films, like the actors not being pretty enough.

You mention the Prequel trilogy not giving a good first impression to the franchise, but i wish they would have gotten those films back when they were released. Why? Because they're far closer to the taste of chinese audiences. If you see which films have become blockbusters in China, it shows that they apreciate CGI far more than other types of special effects. They enjoy over the top spectacle, they don't have the nostalgic love for pratical effects that the ocidental audience has. Taking all of this into account, i'm actualy surprised the Hobbit trilogy wasn't even bigger there.

Right now, the only way i can really see Star Wars successfuly blowing up in China is if they go back to the over the top duels of the prequels (or of The Old Republic's cinematic trailers), but that's unlikely right now. If James Cameron ever releases Avatar 2, i'm sure that film will have a major edge over the SW franchise in China.

#476 Lord, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. scarlet-witch Stormborn

I never realized that. That's amazing (and deserving)

3. marcvader Lurker #1

If China doesn't like the new SW films because there's not a bunch of crazy sabre duels so be it.

4. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

Overall, the Disney Star Wars movies are far more successful than the prequels with or without China.

There's zero reason to pander to them.

Especially if the films become less popular in the US as a result.

5. Blitzkrieg Registered

Rogue One has done really well outside of China so Disney doesn't really hafta worry about the Intl' BO for the SW franchise.

6. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

China is on the cusp of becoming the biggest box office market in the world, ignoring it would be the dumbest thing Disney could do for its long term prospects. Disney will get China on board, one way or another. An Old Republic trilogy with entire armies of Sith and Jedi going at it like in the SW:TOR trailers just might be the thing.

[YT]YdgmH9Vv2-I[/YT]

7. marcvader Lurker #1

I don't see Disney turning the Star Wars franchise into a shallow money grab for the sake of China at the expense of its domestic (main fan base) and all other international audience.

8. Lord All Mighty

I doubt Disney will just ask for more CGI in order to make the Chinese audience happier, expecialy since that won't automaticaly make the Chinese audience interested. If i were them, i would just keep casting some known chinese actors and try making the next anthology films more perceptible for new viewers, as it seems like that was one of the main problems that audience has been having with both the Disney Star Wars films.

Btw, i personaly wouldn't mind larger scale lightsaber battles. Anakin vs Obi-Wan became ridiculous, but most of the duels shown in the Old Republic cinematic trailers have been impressive and large scale, without becoming overcoreographed and fake looking.

9. spiderman2 Registered

So in China they like bad acting and chessey diealog to lol.

Out side of China TFA did great International so International is not a issue.

No way will 8 not make a billion. 8 at worst will be like a 1.6 WW billion movie and most likely 2 billion or more. For episode 9 to not make a billion WW the movie would have to be really really bad.

10. spiderman2 Registered

This does it really matter if they are able to start making more in China if the rest of the world starts making less has a result?

11. Lord All Mighty

I only talked about spectacle, never said they would prefer the Prequels for the acting or the dialogue. In fact, for a large part of the audience, seeing a dubbed or subbed version of a film will make bad performances and dialogues stand out less.

12. Sithborg The Pink Devil

I think it is important as well to point out that while box office is always important, it really is only a drop in the bucket of where the REAL Star Wars money is. Or, the same place where Lucas was able to build his empire.

13. Sithborg The Pink Devil

I have no idea what in the world you are going on about. The Saga films (Episode #) will continue to be the big event films.

And I have to laugh about using TOR as an example of "expanding" the universe.

14. Vincanws Registered

$20M to go to a billion..

15. spiderman2 Registered

While we will see what happens after 9 but going into 7 I was really worried that 7 was going to suck because of how bad the prequles where and because of not having things like Yoda, Vader etc in the movie any more yet I ended up loving 7 and I think 8 could end up being the best star wars movie yet. I also wonder if after 9 if we may get some of the cast back from 7-9 for 10 or something like say have Rey back kind of like how we had Leia, Solo, luke after 4-6 type of thing.

16. Mondragon My other Avi is Gaucho Mickey

17. marcvader Lurker #1

Already passed $500 mil domestic.

18. rayc1971 Registered

its not getting 600 mill domestic

19. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Predicted about $1B for this. Did a bit better than I expected domestically though. Amazing numbers for a spinoff.

20. Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

It's still mind blowing. Another $1B movie for Disney. 4 movies last year greater than a $1B. If you total all of them including JB, yes it goes into 2017 but over $5B. It's still an achievement.

#495 Erzengel, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

And it's not like that these are series that come to an end and then the studio has to go on the hunt for the next big franchise. Both the MCU and SWU are now stronger than ever with the prospect of more record breakers in the next few years and no need for this momentum to die down any time soon if the franchises continue to be handled well. Utilising succesful open-ended universes which can keep going long term, supporting multiple series of films within them is a great strategy.

22. Lord All Mighty

Any prospects of it surpassing Civil War or will Rogue One most likely finish as the #2 highest grossing film of 2016?

23. rashad Hype Board Junkie

China was it's last market. It's not passing CW worldwide at this stage.

24. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

Marvel takes the crown for 2016, after losing it to Star Wars in 2015.

2017 will be interesting, 3 MCU movies VS Episode 8.

25. Pennywise Registered

Awesome news!!!! :up::up: