Rogue One Rogue One Box Office Prediction Thread

$914M as of now. It'll cross over a $1B.

Crazy that a spin off is making over 1b. Next weekend will be weekend 5 and with the movie out ever where and not making big money in China it will be just about done after next weekend. Most movies have made about 90% of there boxoffices after weekend 5. I think 1.1 billion may be around where it ends up at.

Was Rogue One originally estimated to do better in China this weekend?

I don't know China is like the one and basicly only place that star wars is not big in and I think they didn't see the OT in China in till years later and saw the PT first I think and that is not a good first impression lol. Not only that but it sounds like over all China is really hard to predict boxoffices for.

4 Star Wars movies currently in the Top 10 all time domestic. (TFA, RO, TPM and ANH)

Crazy and after next year may be 5 out of 10 and after episode 9 could be 6 out of 10 depending on how while other big movies do besides star wars in the next few months.

No. If Episode VIII cracks the Top 10 this year, that will push A New Hope out, hence Star Wars will have 5 out of the top 11 domestic all time.

No. If Episode VIII cracks the Top 10 this year, that will push A New Hope out, hence Star Wars will have 5 out of the top 11 domestic all time.

Oh ok and that is part of why I said the other stuff about other movies because depending on how other movies do maybe some of the other star war movies could drop out of the top 10.

TPM was by far and away the highest grossing prequel with just the original runs. It was over 900m. RotS got to 850m. For consideration, when adjusted for inflation, TPM made over 220m more then RotS domestically.

Disney know what they have to do to gain that TPM money in China. Slap Darth Maul's face over everything, even if he isn't in the film :o

I don't know China is like the one and basicly only place that star wars is not big in and I think they didn't see the OT in China in till years later and saw the PT first I think and that is not a good first impression lol. Not only that but it sounds like over all China is really hard to predict boxoffices for.

Chinese people don't like lightsaber fights and they were confused with the relations and motivations of the characters in TFA and Rogue One. I've read somewhere that Chinese people actually prefer the epic fights that were shown in the Prequel trilogy (I haven't seen the PTs so I can't tell whether the action is better in PT).

Somehow they also didn't like Rey and Boyega's character in TFA and according to some people who track BO in China, TFA is the reason the Chinese people are soured on the SW franchise.

Chinese people also gave low scores to Rogue One on their record keeping websites to ensure that it doesn't catch on. It has a lower score than worse movies that are playing in China at the moment. It's pathetic.

Was Rogue One originally estimated to do better in China this weekend?

Actually the pre-sales numbers were really low so considering that, Rogue One definitely performed significantly better through the weekend.

Disney know what they have to do to gain that TPM money in China. Slap Darth Maul's face over everything, even if he isn't in the film :o

Or even re-make the OT and put Maul there.

5305280-7627579330-darth.jpg

Maul = Vader - confirmed.

Does anyone think RO beats The Avengers domestic total? I am predicting RO stops short of The Avengers. It has a chance to beat $600 million. Not sure if it will have the momentum to surpass TA however.

It'll surpass TDK but come short of Avengers.

Chinese people don't like lightsaber fights and they were confused with the relations and motivations of the characters in TFA and Rogue One. I've read somewhere that Chinese people actually prefer the epic fights that were shown in the Prequel trilogy (I haven't seen the PTs so I can't tell whether the action is better in PT).

Somehow they also didn't like Rey and Boyega's character in TFA and according to some people who track BO in China, TFA is the reason the Chinese people are soured on the SW franchise.

Chinese people also gave low scores to Rogue One on their record keeping websites to ensure that it doesn't catch on. It has a lower score than worse movies that are playing in China at the moment. It's pathetic.

While I can understand how they would be kind of confused because they have not really seen all the star wars movies and don't have the nastalga but I didn't hear the stuff about not likening the characters in TFA so that is really odd I don't get how you could not like Rey she is great and a big reason I love TFA so much is because of the characters. I have heard about the R1 reception not being good there but didn't know much about TFA not being received while. It is odd and it sucks because it is really the only place that star wars is lacking when it comes to boxoffice. Hopefully at some point it can catch on but that looks like it may never happen.

I think the other problem is that at point some of the moviegoing population there is going to decide that Star Wars is not for them and won't see subsequent SW films even if the future ones would have been more to their tastes.

What this puts into perspective for me - even though I knew this already - is just how big of a movie The Dark Knight was. I mean, Rogue One is doing phenomenal business and still may not catch TDK's $534M domestic, and TDK opened 8 years ago with no 3D.

That being said, how far R1 gets depends on its drops from here. The Hobbit type legs get it to $550M+ but it just doesn't look like it's going to make it there. Then again, strong weekend holds from here on out can easily change that. We'll see!

But only 5 movies have a higher DOM total than TDK.

A spin off getting this close is nothing short of incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"